PDA

View Full Version : AS350 hitting a tree

Modtro
19th Jan 2018, 07:14
Hello all,

just came across this preliminary accident report happened 10 days ago in Spain (link in Spanish):

9 de enero de 2018. Airbus Helicopters AS-350-B3, matrícula EC-JEA. Vall de Ruda (Lleida). REF. A-002/2018 - 2018 - Investigación - CIAIAC - Órganos Colegiados - Ministerio de Fomento (http://www.fomento.gob.es/MFOM/LANG_CASTELLANO/ORGANOS_COLEGIADOS/CIAIAC/INVESTIGACION/2018/A-002_2018.htm)

"After the pax where offloaded during heliskying the pilot descended down the valley, performed a high and low recon to a landing spot to identify obstacles. On landing the main rotor blades came in contact with some tree branches."

Blades were removed, tail number and logos taped up and recovered with a 212.

I fail to understand how one blade suffered damage on it's trailing edge and not all three on it's leading edge, how could this happen??

Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated to understand it.

315B
19th Jan 2018, 07:21
Luckily he didn't try fly it home like the Swiss 350 not too long ago...

19th Jan 2018, 10:29
If he came down on to the top of a tree it is possible or if some debris was thrown up by another blade.

peterperfect
19th Jan 2018, 15:52
Enough collective pitch applied when trying to avoid hitting the tree, its possible only the trailing edge hit the obstacle if the margin was small. So nearly missed the strike perhaps.

Modtro
19th Jan 2018, 17:08
At first it just seemed odd... but it makes sense and could have been.

Thank you very much for the replies!

SASless
19th Jan 2018, 17:46
High power demand...high blade pitch angle....very slow rate of descent or something thrown up into the rotor path. Pretty interesting bit of damage for pine tree limbs I would say as my experience is they are pretty soft.

315B
19th Jan 2018, 17:51
The rotor blades on the 350 are light weight rubbish like the gazelle. A hughes 500 has stronger blades.

GrayHorizonsHeli
20th Jan 2018, 01:19
The rotor blades on the 350 are light weight rubbish like the gazelle. A hughes 500 has stronger blades.

HAHAHA!!!, funny, but uh....no.:ugh:

Two's in
20th Jan 2018, 18:08
A unique operating technique used on the Gazelle was rather than determine the strength of the main rotor blades, we simply avoided the trees. Radical but popular.

21st Jan 2018, 10:55
Two's In - :ok::ok::ok::D

Vertical Freedom
22nd Jan 2018, 06:26
Quote:
Originally Posted by 315B View Post

Hardly think so....I’ve seen the result of one clothcock peelot do a nose in to the side of a rocky slope only to hit the ground with 2 of three blades, Fvking frightening as he then proceeded to fly 20mins after that, back to base...3 blades replaced & inspections yada yada. Surprising how little the damage was :eek:

Modtro
22nd Jan 2018, 10:23
Thank's again for all the answers, it's always nice to hear from experiences from everybody else.

315B
22nd Jan 2018, 12:35
Hardly think so....I’ve seen the result of one clothcock peelot do a nose in to the side of a rocky slope only to hit the ground with 2 of three blades, Fvking frightening as he then proceeded to fly 20mins after that, back to base...3 blades replaced & inspections yada yada. Surprising how little the damage was :eek:

VF, that is exactly what happened with the swiss 350 I alluded to earlier. Only problem was he decided to head back down the mountain with pax on board and after getting down, with home in sight he levelled off from his descent, loading the disc and the blades failed thereafter. Wood cutting with helicopters is the least dangerous activity when compared to drone ingestion and ye' olde wires - cables & high tension.

500guy
22nd Jan 2018, 16:07
Is it possible that the leading each made contact and bent the blade rearward causing over-stress fractures in the trailing edge which led to further cracking and chunks flying off as he put it down?

Vertical Freedom
23rd Jan 2018, 03:15
VF, that is exactly what happened with the swiss 350 I alluded to earlier. Only problem was he decided to head back down the mountain with pax on board and after getting down, with home in sight he levelled off from his descent, loading the disc and the blades failed thereafter. Wood cutting with helicopters is the least dangerous activity when compared to drone ingestion and ye' olde wires - cables & high tension.

No one in their right mind should fly once there's been any serious impact with a rotating blade :ugh:

RVDT
23rd Jan 2018, 05:42
315B sez - VF, that is exactly what happened with the swiss 350 I alluded to earlier.

That would be this (https://www.sust.admin.ch/inhalte/AV-berichte/2258_e.pdf) one then?

Operated in that area for a time. Learnt a lot about "swiss culture".

heliduck
23rd Jan 2018, 13:02
Interesting, if it's the same incident that VF & 315B are referring to then it wasn't the main rotor blades which failed, it was the tail rotor driveshaft output. It is not a very good failure analysis but from the evidence they do provide I assume the impact & resultant shock loads through the drive train over torqued the tail rotor driveshaft output.
Supports my opinion that the AS350 MR Blades are pretty tough, can't say the same for the rest of the drive train or cabin though.
Landing without hydraulics is not fun, landing without hydraulics or a tail rotor would definitely present a challenge.