PDA

View Full Version : Lightspeed Zulu H-Mod ANR

tandemonium
18th Jan 2018, 07:17
Do any of you have experience with their ANR kit?

Wondering about:

Fit in MSA Gallet helmet.

Performance with various airframes.

Dimensions of the earcups. It seems to me that the depth--distance from the inner surface that contacts the head to the outer surface that contacts the helmet shell is critical, so that I can measure my current setup and determine if there is enough space.

Battery life.

Reviews of various installers. Apparently Lightspeed will only provide it to approved companies, not to the end user as a kit.

Thanks in advance.

Flying Bull
18th Jan 2018, 12:50
Hi tandemonium,

We got rid of ANR (Sennheiser).
As far as I recall, the frequencies affected arenˋt the ones which will hurt your hearing over the time.
What was really brought me foreward was the introduction of the MSA Gallet helmet to the crews.
Properly adjusted it feels quiter with much better understanding of intercom and tactical and Air frequencies.
Some have problems with their new Gallets (only one side hearing) or slight loose fitting of the NVG battery pack (which is only annoying on the way to/from the bird)
Otherwise I ˋm really happy with the helmet!

tucumseh
18th Jan 2018, 14:58
The important question is - Is it designed for your aircraft type? If not, then the chances of a generic ANR working in a random aircraft are slim. Hence:

As fast as I recall, the frequencies affected arenˋt the ones which will hurt your hearing over the time.

Example. A Sea King (analog) ANR is completely useless in a Lynx, for this very reason. But, purely by chance, it works well in a Harrier, although the source of the damaging frequencies is different. Programmable (digital/adaptive) ANR is a different thing, and it's a case of whether your aircraft is in the database.

A typical ANR mod reduces the volume of the acoustic chamber (earshell), but by now (over 20 years experience of integrated ANR) I'd expect manufacturers to ensure the transducer design is lo-profile and doesn't cause discomfort. The real issue is, if you have a failure, the tels will usually dull significantly; but this should be very rare.

tandemonium
2nd Feb 2018, 08:21
I contacted Tiger Performance in the USA and Friebe Luftfahrt-Bedarf in Germany, and they were kind enough to provide the following photos: