PDA

View Full Version : Endeavour Series 3

Uncle Fred
17th Jan 2018, 18:00
Just tucking into series 4 of Endeavour. (Yes, I know I am off the pace on this)

The first two seem to be better than what we saw in series 3 where things were getting a bit too much of the cops and robbers shtick. Anyone else with the same impression?

Looking forward to the next two episodes.

Tankertrashnav
17th Jan 2018, 18:21
Cant stand it. Young Morse is a sanctimonious prig. Surrounded by all the usual stock characters from depictions of policing in the 60s, all sexist, racist bullies, half of them "on the take". Usual references to Freemasonry which of course is "a bad thing". All the bad cops chain smoke cigarettes continuously, whereas DC Thursday smokes a pipe (shorthand for a good reliable type).

Nearly saved by the excellent Roger Allom, but even he can't save this awful tosh.

Enjoy!

PDR1
17th Jan 2018, 18:55
Season 4 is better than season 3 - it rather grows on you. Anton Lesser (Bright) is allowed to grow a third dimension to his character, and does very well with it. Ditto Dakota-Blue Richards (who you might remember as the little girl in The Golden Compass) who does well as the "totty with a brain".

Sgt Strange is one of the weaker characters - he's clearly intended to become the Chief Supt. Strange who is Morse's boss, but there is a big disconnect because ChSpt Strange was a former naval submariner (which is why he addresses everyone "matey"), not a risen-from-the-ranks policeman.

But I like it, and I'm looking forward to season 5 later this year.

PDR

Effluent Man
17th Jan 2018, 19:14
Yes, I'm not entirely sure how Morse developed from a hochmagandy loving chain smoker riding shotgun in a Ford Granada to the erudite gentleman in the Mark 2 Jag, a car he would only have regarded as fit for chasing.

Uncle Fred
17th Jan 2018, 19:33
I agree about Anton Lesser. He really has filled out that character with some inspired acting. Rather enjoy his treatment of Phillip's female role--he is not quite sure how to treat her but is obviously impressed.

I did not know about Strange having been a submariner. I wondered my the matey greeting all the time and never connected the two.

Tanker-I view this more as an enjoyable sit-down to be entertained for ninety minutes--particularly after a long flight or something similar. If I were looking for realism perhaps I would turn to A.P.K Fowler's ten volume Oxford University Press Britain's Constabulary Methodologies 1960-1970. ;)

Not a real work in case you were looking for it on Amazon--just making a point.

PDR1
17th Jan 2018, 22:32
In the original Morse series there are a few scenes which take place in ChSpt Strange's office, and you see a couple of submarine models in perspex cases, and assorted photographs of his previous naval life.

But having said that at the time the original Morse was written you're supposed to assume that Morse himself had retired from a successful career as an army officer to join the police on a fast-track to senior roles (that often happened in the 60s) - for the Endeavour series that had to change to "he did his national service as a crypie corporal" or it wouldn't make sense.

There are a couple of direct references to the former roles of both characters somewhere in the Morse episodes, but I'm damned if I can remember where. I think one of them was a reference to Morse funding his comfortable lifestyle with his officer's pension, which rankled with Strange whose NCO pension was nowhere near as generous.

Anton Lesser just gets better and better as the series progresses - you have to see some of his other roles to appreciate just how much acting is involved in his "stand-off-ish stilted senior officer and old-fashioned English Gentleman" portrayal. Much the same could be said of Roger Allam, of course.

PDR

Loose rivets
17th Jan 2018, 23:05
In Lewis, there was a stunningly beautiful eastern European girl who gets herself murdered with the glass in a picture frame. Anyone remember the episode, and more importantly, the actress. Sorry, actor.

PDR1
17th Jan 2018, 23:57
From the description it sounds like the episode "Allegory of Love", in which case the victim was played by Katia Winter (and the glass was a mirror, not a picture frame).

PDR

Tankertrashnav
18th Jan 2018, 00:09
Uncle Fred - yes I know its not meant to be realistic but I regard it as just another of those series which seem to be written on the premise - aren't we all wonderful people now - werent they all awful people then?

Another prime candidate is Inspector George Gently. Each week after 5 minutes you can tell which drum the writer is banging

Week one - police attitudes to rape - tick
Week two - police corruption - tick
Week three - non cooperation of the military when serviceman a suspect - tick
Week four - police brutality to peaceful strikers - tick

etc etc

Meanwhile DS Bacchus displays all the qualities of a complete tosser, week by week, but somehow or other never finds himself back in uniform on point duty.

I like a relaxing entertaining unrealistic cop show myself, but I tend to go for Midsomer Murders (before the wooden Neil Dudgeon took over the role) No political drum banging and much prettier villages and country houses!

chevvron
18th Jan 2018, 00:28
Only problem with Endeavour/Morse/Lewis/Midsomer etc is they're 1 hour stories crammed into 2 hours; I invariably fall asleep halfway through and miss the endings!

Effluent Man
18th Jan 2018, 01:05
Mrs EM and myself invented a new verb. To "Bergerise". This came from the Bergerac TV series in which several minutes would be filled with following suspects around Jersey.

treadigraph
18th Jan 2018, 09:15
I tend to go for Midsomer Murders

Me too, still get the odd one on ITV3 I haven't seen before. You also get some delicious mature actresses!

chevvron
18th Jan 2018, 09:29
Me too, still get the odd one on ITV3 I haven't seen before. You also get some delicious mature actresses!
You're obviously talking about my sister; she's been an extra in 2 episodes (don't know which ones though)

rog747
18th Jan 2018, 10:05
i think there is a season 5 coming this year along with the last of lewis

WingNut60
18th Jan 2018, 11:17
Midsomer must have run out of residents by now.

Worse murder rate than a Washington DC slum.

Tankertrashnav
18th Jan 2018, 11:46
Very true WingNut, but for a real laugh watch Father Brown. Set in an English village with an unfeasibly large Catholic congregation and with an even higher mortality rate than Midsomer County. Also a total idiot of a police inspector and his equally hopeless sergeant.

Still they have some great cars and often steam trains as well, so it's one I'm happy to doze through occasionally, post lunch!

ian16th
18th Jan 2018, 11:51
If you are refering to Endeavour, we are getting trailers for Series 5 on ITV Choice, a channel that is on DSTV in Africa.

ian16th
18th Jan 2018, 11:53
Midsomer must have run out of residents by now.

Worse murder rate than a Washington DC slum.

But just think of the multiplier effect if the town of Cabot Cove was in the county of Midsomer.

PDR1
18th Jan 2018, 11:57

They have said it will be screened sometime this year (but no dates), and they have also hinted that this season has six episodes rather than the usual four.

I don't agree that the episodes are too long - in my view this allows them to develop characters and fill in that delightful 1960s atmosphere.

YMMV,

PDR

charliegolf
18th Jan 2018, 12:01
One of my fave tv lines...

Fred Thursday talking to 2 detectives from a neighbouring force who have roughed up Morse for 'trespassing'.

Thursday: You'd better leave him alone.

Toughies: And what if we don't want to?

Thursday: Then I shall have to take my hat off, won't I?

Followed by an of screen shellacking for the other two.

Brilliant (you had to see it!)

CG

PDR1
18th Jan 2018, 12:24
That and the bit where Morse is caught out discovering that Thursday also spoke italian as a result of his war experience in italy (the episode about the opera-themed murderer). But we find out even more about that in another episode, of course.

PDR

Loose rivets
20th Jan 2018, 00:49
Well, I couldn't wait any longer.

Katia Winter (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2316016/mediaviewer/rm2957179392)

crewmeal
20th Jan 2018, 07:23
Anton Lesser just gets better and better as the series progresses - you have to see some of his other roles to appreciate just how much acting is involved in his "stand-off-ish stilted senior officer and old-fashioned English Gentleman" portrayal.

I'm not sure he was the right actor to play Harold MacMillan in series 2 of the Crown, however his acting skills were once again excellent.

Effluent Man
20th Jan 2018, 10:40
I'm not sure he was the right actor to play Harold MacMillan in series 2 of the Crown, however his acting skills were once again excellent.

He looks tiny in Endeavour, a full head smaller than Thursday. As a senior officer in the 60's he presumably joined in the 40's when the 5'8" minimum height would have been rigidly enforced.

papajuliet
20th Jan 2018, 11:35
The producers made a good effort at selecting young actors for the Police doctor and for Strange both of whom, it can be imagined, would age into those characters we saw in Morse. However I don't see the actor playing Endeavour aging into Morse. Try to picture him, in later years, as John Thaw - it doesn't ring true.
I mean no criticism of that actor's ability - he's very good.
Thursday is outstanding and as close as you can get to the portrayal of the "coppers" of that rank and that era, as I recall them. Characters all ( and almost invariably with a wartime service background ).

PDR1
20th Jan 2018, 12:18
He looks tiny in Endeavour, a full head smaller than Thursday. As a senior officer in the 60's he presumably joined in the 40's when the 5'8" minimum height would have been rigidly enforced.

As his character fleshes out in season 3/4 we learn that he spent his early career as a police officer in the colonial service. I think they didn't have those constraints - I think this because my father in law was in the colonial service in the police forces in Uganda and Honkers, and he has always been less than 5'8".

Mind you, I'm not sure we should discriminate against short actors (I've always been campaigned against apart-height regimes). Height-based discrimination would have prevented Emelia Clarke from thaking the role in GoT (at times they have to stand her on steps to prevent her looking the same height as Tyrion)...

PDR

PDR1
20th Jan 2018, 12:22
The producers made a good effort at selecting young actors for the Police doctor and for Strange both of whom, it can be imagined, would age into those characters we saw in Morse. However I don't see the actor playing Endeavour aging into Morse. Try to picture him, in later years, as John Thaw - it doesn't ring true.

I think I *can* see it - he gets his idealistic edges knocked off by 20-30 years of dealing with human garbage. You can see (from season 2 onwards) the origin of his deep hatred of masonic infiltration that comes up several times in the later Morse stories.

PDR

Effluent Man
20th Jan 2018, 12:33
I'm nit picking, and in the end it's a good stab at producing a period piece that gets most stuff right. Anything that Roger Allam is in usually turns out fine. In this case he rather steals the show.

RedhillPhil
20th Jan 2018, 15:21
In Lewis, there was a stunningly beautiful eastern European girl who gets herself murdered with the glass in a picture frame. Anyone remember the episode, and more importantly, the actress. Sorry, actor.

No, actress.

RedhillPhil
20th Jan 2018, 15:25
I've never seen it but from what I've read the very worst tosh surely has to be "Silent Witness". From what I'm given to understand, each week the police have no idea how the victim died but the Pathologist solves the case every time.
Yeah, right.

DaveReidUK
20th Jan 2018, 15:45
I've never seen it but from what I've read the very worst tosh surely has to be "Silent Witness". From what I'm given to understand, each week the police have no idea how the victim died but the Pathologist solves the case every time.
Yeah, right.

You mean like when the police think that someone was killed by falling off a roof, and the pathologist points out that it was the sudden stop at the end that did it? :O

Loose rivets
20th Jan 2018, 18:49
No, actress.

Mr Phil. Isn't it considered frightfully infra dig now to refer to female actors as actresses?

Tankertrashnav
21st Jan 2018, 11:15
Anything that Roger Allam is in usually turns out fine. In this case he rather steals the show.

He was brilliant as first officer to Benedict Cumberbatch's captain in the excellent Radio 4 comedy "Cabin Pressure". Stellar Cast with Stephanie Cole and John Finnemore, who also wrote it. I do wish he would write some more to replace the current batch of tripe that Radio 4 is pushing out in the comedy slot.

You can see (from season 2 onwards) the origin of his deep hatred of masonic infiltration that comes up several times in the later Morse stories.

I assume this came from Colin Dexter who wrote the Morse books, but as he is dead now we cant ask him. I had a chum in the police who met Dexter once and was asking him where he got his ideas from. In the conversation Dexter admitted that he didn't know much about how the police worked, and had never actually been inside a police station. Evidently didn't know much about Freemasonry either!

Uncle Fred
21st Jan 2018, 21:24
If I noticed it correctly, the Jag makes an appearance in episode 4 of series 4. Rather odd because it seems to be used only in one scene--in others it was something much less flashy.

Not to advocate that the constabulary use violence as a means of persuasion, but it was rather enjoyable to see Thursday in fine form with his fists a couple of times--once on police business and the other whist defending the honour of his daughter.

Effluent Man
21st Jan 2018, 21:40
Yes it was on the forecourt of a car dealer for sale. He tries to sell it to Morse. I think after the Morse series finished it went to auction. Somebody bid crazy money for it, about forty grand I think. Then he couldn't pay.

RedhillPhil
21st Jan 2018, 22:28
Mr Phil. Isn't it considered frightfully infra dig now to refer to female actors as actresses?

Right up to the point when a delicately manicured hand is extended to receive a best actress award.

Loose rivets
22nd Jan 2018, 00:14
It's a useful tool, but there is always the danger that, over time, a manual of sensible advice mutates into a tome of holy writ, its strictures applied blindly, leading to confusion – the very opposite of the guide's intended purpose.

Take, for instance, the term "actor". When the Observer and the Guardian published their new joint style guide last year, this clause appeared: "Use for both male and female actors; do not use actress except when in name of award, eg Oscar for best actress."

Is it possible we're both right? :8

Andy_S
22nd Feb 2018, 12:04
Can anyone explain how Joan Thursday, with just a part time job, can afford to rent a flat while Morse, on a DS wage, is forced to share digs with Jim Strange?

ian16th
22nd Feb 2018, 12:30
Can anyone explain how Joan Thursday, with just a part time job, can afford to rent a flat while Morse, on a DS wage, is forced to share digs with Jim Strange?
It is fiction!

gemma10
22nd Feb 2018, 12:35

I expect Morse finds out in an episode to come she`s on the game.

PDR1
22nd Feb 2018, 12:50

He's not forced to. At the end of the last series he had decided to move to the Met rather than continuing to lock horns with the masonic oppressors. So he had let his own flat go (and most of his possessions had been stolen in a bit of masonic thuggery anyway). Then he happened to save Oxfordshire from nuclear armageddon and got is Queen's COmmendation and Sargent rank, so he stayed, but had nowhere toi live. Strange took him in, but it's a temporary arrangement.

Also his finances are compromised by what appears to be a 2-bottles-a-day Single Malt habbit. Even in 1968 this would have been expensive

On the Jag - the "morse" jag (maroon mk2 3.8) was featured in the very first Endevour pilot - it was on the forecourt of the dodgy car dealer/pimp.

PDR

Andy_S
22nd Feb 2018, 13:30
He's not forced to. At the end of the last series he had decided to move to the Met rather than continuing to lock horns with the masonic oppressors. So he had let his own flat go (and most of his possessions had been stolen in a bit of masonic thuggery anyway). Then he happened to save Oxfordshire from nuclear armageddon and got is Queen's COmmendation and Sargent rank, so he stayed, but had nowhere toi live. Strange took him in, but it's a temporary arrangement.

Ahh…. Must have forgotten that. It still doesn’t explain how she can afford a half decent flat while working a couple of days a week in an advice centre. Unless…..

I expect Morse finds out in an episode to come she`s on the game.

I thought he already had? (Wasn’t she “entertaining” men in Leamington Spa after she ran away from home? Or have I misremembered that?).

And another thing……..

How is it that the young Morse has suddenly become such a sex machine? I mean it’s often inferred that women find him attractive, but he’s generally kept them at arms length. Yet all of a sudden he’s picking them up as if his life depended on it………

PDR1
22nd Feb 2018, 13:55
How is it that the young Morse has suddenly become such a sex machine? I mean it’s often inferred that women find him attractive, but he’s generally kept them at arms length. Yet all of a sudden he’s picking them up as if his life depended on it………

Yep, that's something they clearly couldn't resist. In the original Morse we are told that he was so deeply traumatised when his fiance left him that he was unable to have relationships at all for most of his life. We even get to meet the traumatising bint ("Dead on Time" - Series 6 episode 1) who commits suicide rather than going back to Morse.

But I think while that sort of story might be bearable as the back-story of a middle-aged character it's just too boring to have as the current situation in a lead character. A proper fact-based drama like "star Trek" would address this by having an alternate timeline, but apparently they are reluctant to do this in ENdevour because they don't want to over-do the realism. If they could do it then we'd be running a sweepstake on whether he ended up with Joan, Joan's cousin, WPC Truelove or one of his one-nighters...

PDR

PDR1
22nd Feb 2018, 13:57
Ahh…. Must have forgotten that. It still doesn’t explain how she can afford a half decent flat while working a couple of days a week in an advice centre. Unless…..

The inference I drew was that it was a council flat in one of Oxford's outlying sink estates.

PDR

gemma10
22nd Feb 2018, 14:36
(Wasn’t she “entertaining” men in Leamington Spa after she ran away from home? Or have I misremembered that?).

I must have misunderstood that. Thought she left to go with boyfriend.

baggersup
22nd Feb 2018, 15:59
My vague recollection is that she was in a flat in an all expenses paid relationship with that flash boyfriend who may--or may not--have been married (I cannot recall but think he may have been).

Suppose Joan ended up fending for herself after that when her dad tracked down the cad and "had to take off his hat" so to speak when he beat the dreadful "boyfriend" to within an inch of his life.

One can only assume the creep hightailed it after meeting up with her pa who still apparently had his SOE skills in tact....

Andy_S
22nd Feb 2018, 16:12
My recollection is a bit hazy, but I do seem to recall that Joan Thursday had been installed in a love nest by a married man. When Morse tracked her down to Leamington Spa she rebuffed him, but just after he left he observed an older man being admitted to her apartment. Anyhow, she may not have been on the game, but she seemed willing enough to support her lifestyle by being someone’s bit on the side.

PDR1
22nd Feb 2018, 16:22
I'm fairly sure that the idea was that she was a "kept woman" or "Mistress" in the flat belonging to/rented by a married man.

He was definitely married because she told morse that he was "going to leave his wife".

The flat was definitely his, because after Thursday took off his hat Joan told Morse that he had given her a week (or was it a fortnight?) to leave the flat.

I do love the "I'll have to remove my hat" thing - reminds me of Razor Eddie in the 1970s comedy "Turtle's progress".

PDR

RedhillPhil
22nd Feb 2018, 17:01
Perhaps minor picking of the nit but the episode the other week set in the cinema should have had a voice coach teaching the lad playing the assistant manager not to "up/question " speak. Unfortunately missed last Sunday's as I was in south-east London attending a memorial concert for my late wife.

22nd Feb 2018, 18:03
I do love the "I'll have to remove my hat" thing - reminds me of Razor Eddie in the 1970s comedy "Turtle's progress".

PDR

Also, never has the expression of concern "mind how you go" sounded so threatening.

Curious Pax
22nd Feb 2018, 18:32
Perhaps minor picking of the nit but the episode the other week set in the cinema should have had a voice coach teaching the lad playing the assistant manager not to "up/question " speak. Unfortunately missed last Sunday's as I was in south-east London attending a memorial concert for my late wife.

Condolences on your loss. The episode you missed will be on ITV Player for another 3 weeks if you want to catch it.

RedhillPhil
22nd Feb 2018, 23:37
Condolences on your loss. The episode you missed will be on ITV Player for another 3 weeks if you want to catch it.

Ah, thanks for that.

Sallyann1234
23rd Feb 2018, 09:07
Since Truelove has been mentioned, has anyone else thought it odd that she spends half her time walking the beat as an ordinary plod, and the other half still in uniform making enquiries for CID?

Jack D
23rd Feb 2018, 09:14
Unfortunately I sometimes miss an episode or two so have to play catch up ... can someone tell me why Joan left home in the first place ? Is her current strained relationship with
her Dad because of his “ discussion” with her married boyfriend ? why is young Morse reluctant to pursue her as he is clearly smitten ? this becomes a bit frustrating given his current form with the ladies .. respect for his boss perhaps ? Anyway I enjoy the programme and love the theme music

PDR1
23rd Feb 2018, 10:45
Last episode of series 3 - Joan and Morse are both amongst hostages taken in a botched raid on the bank where she works. It ends up with one bank guy being shot and Joan taken as a human shield before her had shoots the last robber while he is holding her. The general death and shock is more than she can take, so she leaves home to go somewhere away from it all. We subsequently find out she's gone to Leamington, but we never learn why that place. The inference is that the whole "becoming a kept woman" thing starts afterwards.

The strained relationship with Fred is down to him finding her in her flat and her refusal to come home ("you've made your bed" etc), and then the fact that Fred beats the living daylights out of the married boyf who then throws Joan out (when she is about 2 months pregnant with his child). We are led to believe that she had a final row with him (her married boyf) in which he beat her up, putting her in hospital and causing a miscarriage. So losing the baby was probably another reason for her , although I think I'm right in saying that only she and Morse know about the baby - her parents don't.

PDR

PDR1
23rd Feb 2018, 10:47
Since Truelove has been mentioned, has anyone else thought it odd that she spends half her time walking the beat as an ordinary plod, and the other half still in uniform making enquiries for CID?

She isn't, not officially. But she's portrayed as a character with a brain who does things on her own initiative. And it's not completely unknown for legwork CID tasks to be passed to uniformed police when CID manpower is stretched.

PDR

Andy_S
23rd Feb 2018, 11:00

Yes! I couldn’t believe the last episode, where she had suddenly become a traffic cop…….

But she's portrayed as a character with a brain who does things on her own initiative.

Enjoyable as it is, one thing about Endeavour that rather jars with me is that although it’s supposed to be set very specifically in a certain era, themes and characters which modern audiences can identify with are woven into the plot. Obviously the Trewlove character – an intelligent, competent, resourceful woman is one manifestation of that. I also couldn’t help but note the Egyptian academic with a chip on his shoulder about the depiction of mummies in horror films; cultural appropriation alert!!

Sallyann1234
23rd Feb 2018, 12:01
Enjoyable as it is, one thing about Endeavour that rather jars with me is that although it’s supposed to be set very specifically in a certain era, themes and characters which modern audiences can identify with are woven into the plot. Obviously the Trewlove character – an intelligent, competent, resourceful woman is one manifestation of that. I also couldn’t help but note the Egyptian academic with a chip on his shoulder about the depiction of mummies in horror films; cultural appropriation alert!!
Yes. It was interesting to note the Chief Super's almost over-done indignation at a suggestion of racism. That may be policy now, but doesn't ring true with the 60's.

Jack D
23rd Feb 2018, 12:02
PDR .. thanks for that !

57mm
23rd Feb 2018, 15:32
I don't recall all those classic cars being so shiny and clean back in them days.........

Icare9
23rd Feb 2018, 17:47
60 posts and still no comment that the OP captioned the topic as Series THREE, yet all discussion is in respect of Series 4 episodes (with references back to Series 3 for the less avid watchers)?

crewmeal
23rd Feb 2018, 18:14
https://vimeo.com/256653290This will bring tears to your eyes.

Series 5 episode 3.

Uncle Fred
23rd Feb 2018, 20:07
As the OP I meant to say Series 4 but could not go back and edit the Title section of the post.

I am always behind in catching up but the binge watching to rectify that is enjoyable.

Series 5 now are we?

Mike6567
25th Feb 2018, 08:50
I find the plots are always overcomplicated and as a result difficult to follow but my wife likes to watch.

In the episode "Cartouche" why was the former DS poisoned? (can't ask my wife as she had fallen asleep by then)

Sallyann1234
25th Feb 2018, 09:00
Best not to ask too many questions about the plot, or I'd want to know how a nuclear power station came to be built in the middle of Oxfordshire.

PDR1
25th Feb 2018, 11:02
Best not to ask too many questions about the plot, or I'd want to know how a nuclear power station came to be built in the middle of Oxfordshire.

The programme was alluding to an accident that nearly happened at the nuclear research station at Harwell, which is only a few miles away from Oxford. I'm guessing the details were changed to avoid potential legal issues.

PDR

Sallyann1234
25th Feb 2018, 11:51
The programme was alluding to an accident that nearly happened at the nuclear research station at Harwell, which is only a few miles away from Oxford. I'm guessing the details were changed to avoid potential legal issues.
PDR
The episode was about a proposed second 'B' power station, not a research facility.
Where would the enormous supplies of cooling water for A and B be coming from? "flooding a local mere". :ugh:

PDR1
25th Feb 2018, 12:17
I'm not saying it was a "just change the names" lift of the story. I'm saying it's a veiled reference to a few potential nuclear catastrophes which they contained or averted at Harwell in the 60s and 70s that they have embroidered into a plot-line.

Your quibble was about whether there could be a nuclear facility in oxfordshire. There are/were substantial nuclear installations at Harwell (including europe's first reactors), so oxfordshire isn't a stranger to the nuclear industry. But if you wanted to site a nuclear power station you could move nearer to oxford to somewhere like the eastern side of the river at Lower Radley where the required cooling water could conceivably be drawn from and returned to the Thames. Or one could slap one's forehead and remember that it is fiction, so it's permitted to suddenly discover vast subterranean lakes of ice-cold water right beneath the potential site for a new pair of nuclear reactors...

:)

PDR

Windy Militant
25th Feb 2018, 12:44
But at the time that the episode took place Harwell was still in Berkshire! :p

When I took over my Office at work I found a Film badge at the back of a draw that looks exactly like the one that Morse found. Still got it somewhere and wonder whether it's been exposed or not! :uhoh:

PDR1
25th Feb 2018, 13:24
But at the time that the episode took place Harwell was still in Berkshire! :p

Ah yes, but as a result of the nuclear accident it obviously moved north... :)

The actual county isn't that important - the point is that there was a significant nuclear facility within a short drive of the Cowley part of Oxford where Morse was allegedly based (even before the A34 because the dual-carriageway carpark it became later!).

A good friend of mine started out as an apprentice at Harwell and was in various departments. I think his last job there was running the Model Shop - he's the only person I know who feels that tungsten and titanium are easy to machine (compared to the materials he'd had to fabricate parts from!)

PDR

gemma10
25th Feb 2018, 22:00
"Fancy a pint then". Wasn`t mentioned tonight at programme end.

Rosevidney1
25th Feb 2018, 23:43
I saw the start of tonights episode which was set in a Army camp. How many mistakes can be seen? Too many to count. An officer wearing a stable belt over his tunic? Berets the size of kitbags, and not worn 1" above the eyebrow or any where close to level. Wild saluting, etc. etc... What can we expect of thespians and producers who clearly have had no exposure to military life? I walked away from the TV after 5 minutes but my brave wife managed to endure virtually 20.

PDR1
26th Feb 2018, 00:17
Shame, because it was a good plot.

PDR

Andy_S
26th Feb 2018, 08:52
OK, let me join in the fun……

Morse stays behind at the army base in order to go and speak to the mad Scottish officer. He is subsequently attacked by said officer, of course, but what I find peculiar about this is that it appears to be several hours later (day has turned to night). How long does it take to find a senior officer like that? What was Morse doing in all that time? And would a civilian really have been allowed to wander round a military base, unescorted, for that length of time?

JEM60
26th Feb 2018, 11:59
Re the missing actress. I think it may well be the beautiful Danish lady Brigitte Hort-Sorensen, who certainly appeared in either Endeavour or Lewis. She featured heavily in the Danish 'Borgen' series. Very easy on the eye.!!!

Sallyann1234
26th Feb 2018, 19:51
Just been watching last night's episode...

Thursday: What happened to you last night?
Morse(very straight face) : Something came up.