PDA

View Full Version : CASA CN-235 down in Turkey

Kulverstukas
17th Jan 2018, 12:42
TURKISH AIR FORCES PRESS BRIEFING

On January 17, 2018, a CN-235 CASA-type military transport aircraft departing from Eskisehir Main Jet Base Command departed at 11:03, with two pilots and a technician for planned flight training, lost radar contact at around 12:50 hrs rescue operations started.

At around 14:30 hours, we were reached to the wreck of our plane north of Lake Eğirdir and to the bodies of our three heroic staff.

We would like to express condolences to our heroic gun friends who are reaching the level of testimony in the event of this elimination accident, to Allah's worthy family members, Turkish Armed Forces and the supreme Turkish Nation.

Kulverstukas
17th Jan 2018, 18:14
Photos from site

tsgas
17th Jan 2018, 21:56
"3 heroic staff" since when does crashing an airplane qualify you as a hero ?

Icelanta
17th Jan 2018, 22:04
Did Borat write this Press Briefing?!

gearlever
17th Jan 2018, 22:09
"3 heroic staff" since when does crashing an airplane qualify you as a hero ?

The remains of the 4 pilots of TK-6491 (MyCargo) were accepted enthusiastically as heroes in Turkey after the 747 crashed in Bishkek. 2 or 3 of them were buried with the highest military ceremony/parade.

Funerals of the 35 Kyrgyzstan victims had a different quality....

NutLoose
17th Jan 2018, 23:32
My condolences to their families... heroic seems an odd thing to say, especially considering you can go from hero to zero in the Turkish military.

Coochycool
17th Jan 2018, 23:45
Can we infer from the photos it was gear down at time of impact?

Looks like a failed attempt at emergency landing on first impression.

Salute

T28B
18th Jan 2018, 02:25
"3 heroic staff" since when does crashing an airplane qualify you as a hero ? The press release looks like a bit may have been lost in translation. I'll also offer to you that the press release was most likely aimed at a domestic audience.
Please also consider that whatever the political differences may be during a given year, the servicemen and women who share the aviation profession are in the largest sense colleagues.

NutLoose
18th Jan 2018, 03:27
Hence why I offered my condolence, I just queried the strange wording.

ORAC
18th Jan 2018, 07:38
CFIT seems more probable. Two pilots named, but nit the crewman.

Three soldiers killed in military plane crash in Turkey?s Isparta, cause unknown (http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/three-turkish-soldiers-killed-in-military-plane-crash-in-turkeys-isparta-125879)

Three Turkish soldiers were killed after a CASA-type military aircraft crashed in the Central Anatolian province of Isparta on Jan. 17. Isparta Governor Şehmus Günaydın has confirmed that two pilots and one technician were killed in the crash, which occurred in a rural area of Isparta’s Yalvaç district.

Günaydın said the cause of the crash is still unknown but noted that weather conditions were foggy during the flight. “There is heavy fog and rainfall and no way to clear the debris by land. I’ll be in the wreckage area a little later. We do not know the exact reason for the accident,” he said.

The Turkish Armed Forces (TSK) issued a statement after the crash, saying the debris of the plane and the bodies of the three on board had been reached.

“On Jan. 17, 2018, a CN-235 CASA-type military transport aircraft departed at 11:03 a.m. from the Eskişehir Main Jet Base Command with two pilots and one technician on board as part of a training exercise. When contact with the plane was cut at around 12:50 p.m., a rescue operation began. At around 14:30 p.m. we reached the north of Lake Eğirdir, where we found the debris of the plane as well as the bodies of our three heroic soldiers,” the statement said.

The families of the killed soldiers Major Ümit Karamustafa and Captain Ali Şahin were informed by officials.

Clandestino
18th Jan 2018, 17:30
heroic seems an odd thing to say"Şehit" denotes a person killed in the line of duty. While translating it as "hero" is not completely accurate, I find it better still than usually used "martyr".

bunta130
18th Jan 2018, 19:18
Whatever the wording, it is still a tragic loss of life...and those of 'brother aircrew'.

Rest easy chaps.....

Buster Hyman
18th Jan 2018, 20:39
I have nothing but respect for those that choose a life in the armed forces, past & present. They are potentially putting themselves in harms way for their respective countries & if the press release chooses to nominate them as heroes, then I have no problem with that.

Just my 2c.

gearlever
18th Jan 2018, 21:15
I have nothing but respect for those that choose a life in the armed forces, past & present. They are potentially putting themselves in harms way for their respective countries & if the press release chooses to nominate them as heroes, then I have no problem with that.

Just my 2c.

Do you know this song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A50lVLtSQik