PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with shortcuts

FM_A320
16th Jan 2018, 18:30
As a curious spectator, I always wonder how do you deal with approach where shortcuts are likely but unsure. For instance the approaches to MXP/LIN arriving from the Alps or the Eastern Europe airports with long downwinds that can become very short and leaving high.
Do you insert lower hard constraints on the MCDU with the shortest possible route or go open des keeping lower than the profile but a bit higher than the shortest route possible?
Cheers

RAT 5
16th Jan 2018, 20:06
Not type specific; it's all about energy. If you expect to be invited to shorten your arrival it is wise to be abeam the airfield at a speed to be able to select flap or gear. The height you can fly depends on ATC clearances. For me I'd rather be slow than low.
Finally, if you are too high on energy, don't accept the shortening. You are in charge. I used to wonder at the aviating skills of some crews when Flt Ops crew notices were sent out alerting people to beware of short turn ins, and how to deal with it, after a few GA's. Just because ATC thinks they are doing you a favour, because there is no traffic, it is your decision and ultimate responsibility to tell ATC if you can accept or need more distance. Some guys forget that too often.