PDA

View Full Version : Has Hong Kong moved?

KelvinD
16th Jan 2018, 08:53
Sitting here in Hampshire, shortly after watching the Army Air Corps Lynx fly past, I heard a large aircraft to the south of me. I am used to the South American departures passing by my place but they are later in the day. Sometimes flights to some parts of the US, such as Miami, Dallas etc will go overhead on this route when the weather over the Atlantic is being awkward.
I checked to see what this flight was and, according to Plane Finder and FR24 this was BA27 to Hong Kong! The aircraft is G-BNLY and is currently over the Channel, heading toward Guernsey. Is this a cock up with flight numbering on both trackers or have BA discovered a new route to Hong Kong?

bbrown1664
16th Jan 2018, 09:10
Interestingly the same airframe is scheduled to return from Miami tonight so I am guessing the electronics have failed somewhere.

Skipness One Echo
16th Jan 2018, 09:15
Looks like it may have been a typo, operated the BA207 LHR-MIA?
HKG is an A380 / B77W operation, no 747s go East at all nowadays.

KelvinD
16th Jan 2018, 14:24
Yep. As above, Plane Finder is now showing the flight as BA207 en route to Miami.
Thanks all.

DaveReidUK
16th Jan 2018, 15:11
Known in the trade as an ACID anomaly. No drugs involved, just finger trouble entering the Mode S AirCraft ID (= flight number).

It's not that uncommon - had it been an eastbound flight, the error would have been picked up by Eurocontrol at the FIR boundary, and presumably the same applied to Shanwick in this case.

FR24 shows G-BNLY departing LHR twice, at the same time, once for each flight number. :O