PDA

View Full Version : Dropping in on small operators ?

Captain-Random
15th Jan 2018, 20:34
What are people’s views on ‘dropping’ in on operators to look for work, especially in the UK ?

I’ve heard some views that it’s the best way to make yourself stand out from all the other CV’s whilst others have said it’s a sure way to get yourself to the bottom of the pile (or removed from the pile all together)

As a fresh IR/MEP holder I’m not talking about approaching a company expecting to fly their shiny new Gulfstream but what about companies operating small twins to conduct surveys, move mail about etc.

I’m talking about popping into reception and asking to talk to someone, ideally the boss, about opportunities and requirements as opposed to pouncing on him as he pulls into the car park.

eckhard
15th Jan 2018, 21:44
Well it worked for me 40 years ago! I would say, give it a try. Do some research first and have some questions ready to ask them. Dress smart-casual and sound keen. Good luck!

thetimesreader84
16th Jan 2018, 09:40
Going back maybe 15 years ago, one of the instructors at the school I was doing my PPL at, took 2 weeks off work, printed out a stack of CVs and cover letters, and toured all the head offices of all the airlines, air taxi companies, etc and handed them in in person.

Towards the end of the second week, he was at the HQ for Loganair (IIRC), and asked the receptionist if she would pass this envelope to the chief pilot? “You can do it yourself, he’s over there by the coffee machine” she replied.

After introducing himself, and asking if he could be considered for any pilot jobs, the Chief Pilot had a browse of our intrepid aviators CV, asked how he was getting on as an FI, then said “can you start in two weeks? I’ve just had someone drop out of a type rating and I’ve got a gap to fill”.

Simpler times.

winkwink
16th Jan 2018, 11:02
I can recommend it. It worked for me on several occasions. The biggest difficulty now is security at places like Farnborough and Luton. However, there are many operations based at places like Blackbushe and probably Shoreham, Northamptonand the like. Most places are welcoming, especially if you turn up reasonably smart and with a smile. If you can afford to, perhaps do a circuit every 3 months or so, and ask whether they know of anyone else who may be recruiting.
The other thing is that in GA, personal contacts can be so helpful. I'll be forever grateful to GA greats Hamish Ross, Simon Rooney and Mike Lawson for the help and support they gave me.

Flying Mechanic
16th Jan 2018, 12:40
Most chief pilots/ DFO will give you the time of day. Be prepared to wait around.
My first 3 flying jobs were all gained by knocking on doors , so it works.

B2N2
16th Jan 2018, 14:06
Absolutely do it.
Wear a suit regardless of the job.
Be very polite to the receptionist, they’re the first hurdle and their opinion is valued.
Whenever I got a call from “downstairs” about a walk-in first thing I asked: would you want him working here?
If it was a no, I’d walk down, take the resume and put it on the no-hire pile.
If they said he’s friendly and respectful I’d make time to at least have a brief interview.
Receptionists tend to be very good judges of character.
Do not..I repeat do NOT under any circumstance flirt with them as you’re waiting.

what next
16th Jan 2018, 17:00
Do not..I repeat do NOT under any circumstance flirt with them as you’re waiting.

Well... in many small companies the receptionist is either the wife or the daughter of the owner. In the first case flirting will get you half of the company within short time and in the second case the entire company in ten years :O

But joking apart, I also suggest to give it a try. There is absolutely nothing to be lost and business aviation is mainly about knowing the right people and/or being at the right place in the right time.

Private jet
16th Jan 2018, 21:44
Exactly. You have nothing to lose except a bit of time and fuel money. All the good jobs are never advertised and thankfully immune from the cancer of LinkedIn.