PDA

View Full Version : Police manage to upset the vegans

ricardian
15th Jan 2018, 09:20
Rural police force in Wales blasted for posting pictures of huge fry-up because it's 'offensive to vegans' (https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/rural-police-force-in-wales-blasted-for-posting-pictures-of-huge-fryup-because-its-offensive-to-a3733301.html)

What would be the reaction of meat-eaters if the police posted pictures of a vat of tofu?

ORAC
15th Jan 2018, 09:28
What’s offensive about it? They’re not making them eat it.

Perhaps the complainer wants all restaurants to remove pictures from the outside signs and meat and dairy to be sold from behind shutters in the same way as tobacco?

sitigeltfel
15th Jan 2018, 10:15
Perhaps the complainer wants all restaurants to remove pictures from the outside signs

Here's a tip. If a restaurant has pics of its food outside, find somewhere else to eat.

Dan Gerous
15th Jan 2018, 11:35
Something I've wondered, if your having a dinner party and you're expected to provide a veggie/vegan alternative for those who do, if a veggie/vegan has a dinner party, are they expected to supply a meat dish?

57mm
15th Jan 2018, 11:42
Are Vegans related to Vogons?

Krystal n chips
15th Jan 2018, 12:06
It is offensive in several respects....

There's no sign of any black pudding or fried bread...or grilled tomatoes for that matter !

Plus ( sorry about this skydiver...;) :E ) presumably this was just for one officer ? ( BIL was in the Met...some experience of watching his idea of a "small breakfast ") :D

As one is a complete omnivore, one isn't too concerned about the complainants views really..

Blacksheep
15th Jan 2018, 12:37
What's offensive about it? There's plenty of beans and mushrooms provided for the Vegan officers. :hmm:

DaveReidUK
15th Jan 2018, 12:44
Something I've wondered, if your having a dinner party and you're expected to provide a veggie/vegan alternative for those who do, if a veggie/vegan has a dinner party, are they expected to supply a meat dish?

Only in Scotland.

funfly
15th Jan 2018, 13:09
Does that mean that vegan ladies do not appreciate a bit of meat and two veg?

VP959
15th Jan 2018, 14:23
The refusal of many vegetarian/vegans to provide a meat/dairy dish for omnivore guests, against the insistence of very many vegetarians/vegans that their hosts provide for their own restricted dietary preferences is one that had quite often riled me.

My late father in law was a committed omnivore, which had to change when his wife chose to take up Buddhism and became vegetarian. From then on no meat was allowed in the house, not even at our wedding reception. I found the whole thing grossly unfair, in that she forced all around her to comply with her own preferred dietary restrictions.

My late FiL and I used to go flying together, and these trips invariably ended up at somewhere like Popham, Compton Abbas, Old Sarum or even Sandown, primary so he could enjoy a fry up or a decent bacon sarnie. After every one of these meals he'd look at me and say "You won't tell ******* (his wife's name) will you?"

meadowrun
15th Jan 2018, 14:32
You can't show pictures that might offend snowflakes to snowflakes.
Especially 7th level vegan snowflakes. They're fragile to such things.

RedhillPhil
15th Jan 2018, 15:01
Vegans and snowflakes are so easy to offend that it's not a challenge anymore.:(

Mostly Harmless
15th Jan 2018, 15:09
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oht9AEq1798

goudie
15th Jan 2018, 15:12
All this hot air from a vegan would definitely upset a snowflake

UniFoxOs
15th Jan 2018, 15:21
Police manage to upset the vegans

GOOD! Something worth doing for a change.

Blacksheep
15th Jan 2018, 15:25
As I like to say "Vegetables are what food eats" ;)

Krystal n chips
15th Jan 2018, 16:14
As I like to say "Vegetables are what food eats" ;)

Ah yes....vegetables and dining.... ( sorry, just a shade toooo tempting ) :E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjE080TGEEk

glad rag
15th Jan 2018, 16:25
Only in Scotland.

Veggie Haggis is quite nice actually.

Jack D
15th Jan 2018, 16:54
Vp959 that sounds like a selective form of Buddhism .. very selfish to impose this on wedding guests ! Meat is commonly eaten among Buddhist communities, although perhaps not larger animals, beef for example, bit of an overlap with Hinduism, seems to depend what’s available; chicken is popular and fish . Whey faced Vegan ladies often get a rosy glow in the cheeks after meat and two veg( funfly) and quickly revert to carnivorous activities .

cdtaylor_nats
15th Jan 2018, 19:59
In Scotland if a Vegan turns up at a dinner party they are the meat.

yellowtriumph
15th Jan 2018, 20:48
I've just booked a restaurant and was asked the usual question on the telephone - "Do you have any dietary requirements that we should know about?".

Yes I replied, I like meat and plenty of it. Chuckles at the other end of the phone.

Shack37
15th Jan 2018, 21:19
Slight thread drift for information. The word "Snowflake" appears in several posts and I´ve seen it recently also in some newspapers. A simple definition please. I guess it describes those of a PC nature or perhaps somewhat lacking in sympathy with those of opposing views.

meadowrun
15th Jan 2018, 21:24
A new generation of "fragile" who demand protection of their sensibilities and from anything distorting their distorted view of the world.
Easily damaged, like a snowflake landing on your finger.

Captain Dart
15th Jan 2018, 22:14
Snowflakes are invariably lefties, some of whom need 'safe spaces' and 'trigger warnings'. Most snowflakes I deal with or read commentary from reside in the inner city, earn their living from the public purse, or are 'professional students'.

Hydromet
16th Jan 2018, 01:41
Had a fellow student once who was a vegan. When we had our Friday afternoon BBQ he had his own hotplate that had never seen meat. He also had his own cooking utensils. Once a fellow student used his frypan for meat, and you'd have thought it was the end of the world - he spent hours scrubbing it with steel wool. Despite all this, he was a hunter, no qualms about shooting animals, just don't eat 'em.

Mind you, he was quite generous with his BBQ veges, and they didn't taste too bad.

VP959
16th Jan 2018, 06:45
I have a strong suspicion that the tendency towards seeing larger numbers of those massively overly sensitive souls often referred to as "snowflakes" is at least a part of the general social media addiction. If you only communicate with, and obtain news and information from, social media, then it's a bit like living in a bubble, where anything outside the frame of reference of your initial interests will be excluded by the algorithms that control what you get to see.

It's a bit like anyone using this site that still allows advert and tracking servers to access their machine/local network (I block them at my router - tedious, but effective). Those trackers will assess the pass on the content of your posts and the advertisers will gradually build up a dossier on your interests. As a consequence, you will tend to see adverts that may be related to things you've written about, or searched for using a search engine.

Social media, like Facebook, takes that concept forward by at least an order of magnitude. Facebook users end up only ever seeing stuff that reinforces their initial views, and this gradually shapes them into thinking there are no other view points. It's a bit like the tale of the person who said once "but I read it in the newspaper, so it MUST be true", except now the majority of information on the internet is either false or misleading. Finding the truth on the internet can be like looking for a needle in a haystack, especially as the majority of peer-reviewed information is behind pay walls.

The poor old snowflakes have been duped, largely by being fed very selective information over the years, and because many wouldn't dream of doing proper fact checking. As a consequence, they are offended when reality comes up and bites them in the backside...........

It's easy to fall into the trap of saying this is all left-wing driven, but it isn't at all. It's driven by big business, who have found yet another way to make a persuasive argument to consumers in order to get them to buy their products. The left wing connection is a UK thing mainly, and relates the the far sightedness of first the SNP during the Scottish Referendum, then the massively greater effort made by Momentum, to dominate social media and get younger voters convinced of their views. What we are seeing now is a shift from voters views being shaped by TV, radio and newspapers and instead being much more effectively shaped by the social media false reality bubbles so many live in.

Interesting times, especially when foreign powers start playing around with those social media bubbles around election times.

bafanguy
16th Jan 2018, 07:56
Snowflakes are invariably lefties, some of whom need 'safe spaces' and 'trigger warnings'.

Just another day on the job for the megalomaniacal, tyrannical Left. In this case, they can safely be ignored...and laughed at.

“Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.”

William F. Buckley Jr.

goudie
16th Jan 2018, 10:43
In the office where I once worked a woman, who was a vegan, fainted. When she came round some moments later one of her female collegues told her she needed to get some red meat inside her.
Needless to say guffaws all round and calls for an orderly queue to be formed.

Blacksheep
16th Jan 2018, 12:43
Veggie Haggis is quite nice actually.How odd. What exactly are the vegetables stuffed into?

UniFoxOs
16th Jan 2018, 16:28
It's actually plastic - do not serve with the innards unless you want plastic-wrapped turds next day.

I confirm that they (the ones from MacSw33n) are very tasty and I, confirmed carnivore that I am, would be happy to eat some any day, a view offerred by all the others who sampled it last time I did a Burns night.

Shack37
16th Jan 2018, 17:14
Many thanks for the "Snowflake" information.
Was thinking more of being told by a PTI in training it was ok to do a cross country run in the rain. Not being made of sugar we wouldn´t melt.

fitliker
17th Jan 2018, 01:38
It is not difficult to upset some folks .
One vendor at the farmers market was selling vegan fudge.
All I asked was how much fudge they got from a vegan ?
No sense of haha :)

skydiver69
17th Jan 2018, 14:09
When Vegans Attack.

https://youtu.be/Ys0rMLwg_kY

Blacksheep
18th Jan 2018, 12:31
It's actually plastic - do not serve with the innards unless you want plastic-wrapped turds next day.But plastic is so yesterday. The environmentalists are already planning to eliminate it, so surely no self-respecting vegan would descend to eating a plastic haggis? And won't the world be overrun by pet pigs, cows and sheep if we stop eating them? Or are they planning a mass extermination? We need to know about these things... :suspect:

radeng
19th Jan 2018, 17:31
I normally have one vegetarian meal a week. Plus one fish, although fish as a starter often. The problem is that once you have gone through pork, baked ham, beef, mince beef, onion mushroom and carrot pie, lamb steaks - maybe 'barman' - and sausage casserole, having a different meat for each meal gets difficult. Veal mince in Smyrna sausages is good though, but not too often....

IBMJunkman
19th Jan 2018, 17:41
I bought a house in Las Vegas. I am now a Las Vegan.

Slow Biker
19th Jan 2018, 21:27
My 15 year old granddaughter has been a vegetarian for three weeks now. I thought she would succumb to KFC, but she resisted. Her diet was quite ok before, but looking at what she eats now I'm sure it is much more healthy. I just hope she sticks with it; she is doing intense revision for her exams and I hope the new diet will help her energy levels.
I'm not a great meat eater, but I don't think I could go the whole way, not that I want to.

VP959
23rd Jan 2018, 15:20
Schools can too, apparently: Vegan parent complains about Lymington school's pigs - BBC News (http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hampshire-42782437)

According to that report, this rural school has kept a few pigs for the past 10 years in order to teach children where their food comes from, as well as a load of other useful stuff.

ONE vegan parent complains, gets a petition up, and the school backs down.

What I'd like to know is whether the majority of the parents at the school signed that petition, or whether the majority of the signatories were from a minority pressure group. I strongly suspect the latter.

treadigraph
23rd Jan 2018, 16:06
And so they force their beliefs on the other kids. The school should be applauded for teaching kids about real life; who knows, some of the kids might have become vegetarians having seen life at first hand; now bacon will simply come out of a plastic wrapper.

KelvinD
23rd Jan 2018, 17:25
Apparently, the nausea at the Lymington school was caused by a single parent who sought help for a petition from an avid Vegan. The school has been farming their own animals as part of the food cycle curriculum ffor some years. And I believe most parents think it is great. And along comes someone who thinks his beliefs are paramount to the majority........

Trossie
23rd Jan 2018, 18:55
All primates eat meat when they get the chance.

I would like to see the response if a vegan chimp tried reprimanding the rest of the chimps for eating that monkey that they'd just hunted and slaughtered!

eal401
24th Jan 2018, 10:52
How to offend a vegan:

Do not be vegan.

Some of these morons would get offended at their own shadows if they could think of a reason!