PDA

View Full Version : Is Ai the Next Big Push?

meadowrun
15th Jan 2018, 05:30
Development has certainly been ongoing for years at a somewhat leisurely pace.

At a recent Chinese governmental do, semi-subtle visual hints of increased interest in pursuing this goal more energetically were placarded behind the speakers.

"Create a centre for artificial intelligence with France".
From the Joint SPD/CDU blueprint for coalition talks.

Something urgent going on or just the next big thing?

Tankertrashnav
15th Jan 2018, 11:52
In the same way that LSD means pounds shillings and pence to me, not a drug, AI will always remind me of the regular visits of the AI man coming round to see to our cows. In the early days of AI he would be known as "the bull in a bowler hat"! Not being too fussy we always specified "bull of the day" as it was the cheapest option.

Be a long time before I realise that the 'I' means intelligence, not insemination.

funfly
15th Jan 2018, 14:12
"The sheep are all in the Landrover and the one in the front is pressing the horn"

MG23
15th Jan 2018, 21:36
Yes. 'AI' has finally reached the point where it can do something useful at a reasonable price. It's going to be huge over the next couple of decades.

Medicine in particular is ripe for an AI takeover, since so much pattern-matching is involved there.

ImageGear
15th Jan 2018, 21:51
My involvement with artificial intelligence began almost 30 years ago on a Unix platform. I thought at the time that it was going to be the future where man's intellectual ability was to be supplemented by AI based machines that would relieve him of making some of the more tedious scientific and business, decision making. I became absorbed in massive database arrays that were cumbersome, slow and very complicated. The information learning and verification algorithms were extremely complex and prone to taking the intelligence thread up a one way street just a like a GPS that suddenly decides that one should accept directions and continue down a road that ends up in a six foot deep ford.

Interest in that capability peaked around 1988-1989 and certainly declined for business use over the next 25 years. Here it comes again, dressed up in new clothes, but it still looks to me like a panacea searching for a problem to solve, rather than a cost effective solution to identified and measureable issues. Perhaps the scientific applications achieved greater success but I doubt it. I continue to observe with a little interest.

Just my opinion mind...

Imagegear

tartare
15th Jan 2018, 22:23
There's a huge amount of hype at the moment.
I think calling it `intelligence' is a misnomer.
Just had a general interest piece published in a magazine on AI in medicine - interviewed some thought leaders (bad pun) in Silicon Valley.
Even the most advanced neural nets, ab-initio or transfer learning systems are not intelligent - pattern matching systems for medical imagery can approach those of a human dermatologist for example - but under very controlled conditions.
Spookily aware though they may seem - Siri, Alexa etc are little more than sophisticated algorithms.
As for the tripe about 40 percent of jobs being automated within a decade...
Artificial General Intelligence - i.e. sentience?
Personally - i think even at the pace things are advancing - certainly not in our lifetimes.

Tankertrashnav
16th Jan 2018, 00:42
I was watching a programme tonight about two teams of surgeons and anaesthetists etc carrying out the most intricate surgery, one to remove an enormous 20kg sarcoma from a lady, and the other to remove a cancerous kidney which involved stopping the patients heart for 30 minutes. The level of skill demonstrated was quite astounding, not to mention courage and self belief. When you see robots struggling to pick up a cup you realise that in areas where dexterity and decision making are required AI has only just scratched the surface of what can be achieved by humans

meadowrun
16th Jan 2018, 17:32
"Beijing also recently announced its intentions to build a 13.8 billion yuan AI technology park, which will be home to more than 400 businesses focused on developing artificial intelligence technologies in everything from biometrics to self-driving cars." bbc

wiggy
17th Jan 2018, 10:18
:D to the opinions of both tartare and Imagegear.

In the mid seventies I spent some time as an inmate of a newish U.K. university which had a fairly high powered computing department. A few of the flat mates at the time were either under grads or post grads in the computing (being a bit old fashioned I stuck to pure science) and so over many a beer I heard tell of the likes of the Turing test, and how AI was “just around the corner”...

Well I am sure it is, but I wouldn’t like to define what that corner looks like and how far away it is.

Checkboard
17th Jan 2018, 10:53
In the same way that LSD means pounds shillings and pence to me, not a drug,
LSD means "Limited Slip Diff" to me. :D