PDA

View Full Version : N246W MU-2B-60 crash Iles-de-la-Magdalin Airport March 29 2016

a330pilotcanada
14th Jan 2018, 19:08
Good Afternoon All:

Transportation Safety Board has released an excellent video presentation of the flight path of MU-2B-60 N246W that killed former politician Jean Lapierre and family members enroute to his father’s funeral.

As we can see the importance of flying a stabilised approach versus trying to recover from high energy in a short period of time. No further comments from myself as I have experienced this type of situation as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H20855X5-rI

Jet Jockey A4
14th Jan 2018, 19:16
The whole thing from pilot qualification to doing this flight on that day was an accident waiting to happen.

J.O.
15th Jan 2018, 02:09
TSB actually

extreme P
15th Jan 2018, 03:05
100 knots too fast to a stall on an approach. Just wow.

clunckdriver
15th Jan 2018, 19:02
A certain very experienced corporate pilot just quit his job in the same general area due to the owner of the aircraft trying to push the weather and also overloading the aircraft, said owner is still trying to replace the pilots two months later! A nice feature of the pilot shortage is that he just isn't having any luck with his search! Unfortunately someone will try to do it, lets hope they don't kill any more innocent folks!

nolimitholdem
17th Jan 2018, 15:09
100 knots too fast to a stall on an approach. Just wow.

Welcome to the MU2. It's got a very small wing with a very high wing loading. In other words, it's all engine. When you cut the power it will stop flying very quickly.

A useful attribute in certain situations but it means monitoring airspeed is even more critical than in more conventional aircraft in its class, i.e. King Airs etc.

extreme P
17th Jan 2018, 17:09
Welcome to the MU2. It's got a very small wing with a very high wing loading. In other words, it's all engine. When you cut the power it will stop flying very quickly.

A useful attribute in certain situations but it means monitoring airspeed is even more critical than in more conventional aircraft in its class, i.e. King Airs etc.

Call it what you will. Small wing. High wing load. All engine.

Blame the airplane all you want.

+/-100 knots is an epic fail.

rotornut
17th Jan 2018, 19:13
If you substantially increase power from idle in a twin, as the pilot did, would all twin aircraft roll to the right? I know the original PA-31 without counter rotating props would become inverted.

Mostly Harmless
17th Jan 2018, 19:33
I have a lot of time on the PA-31-300/310/325/350/P.... never has it been an issue to roll in any direction when adding power on both engines. IF, and only IF, you were below the red line on the airspeed indicator with the critical engine failed, would you see a roll toward the critical engine when power was added. But if both engines were running you went straight ahead.

Without more information than has been provided here, I cannot hypothesize why this aircraft, on this day, rolled right when power was added to both engines.

RatherBeFlying
18th Jan 2018, 01:36
Lots of good information on:
10 January 2018 - Aviation news release - Transportation Safety Board of Canada (http://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/medias-media/communiques/aviation/2018/a16a0032-20180110.asp)

Basically insufficient airspeed to counteract torque roll at 300' when powering back up.

Why he didn't ask for & take a procedure turn is a question he is not with us to answer.

Perhaps he was always vectored to an approach and had to deal with energy management and tailwind on his own arriving at a remote airport.

TSB does not detail his instrument experience; so we don't know.

jack11111
18th Jan 2018, 02:10
The demanding nature of the MU2 is well known in the aviation community. Why the owner-operator did not go-around he cannot tell us.

It is fortunate the aircraft was fitted with combined voice and data recorder so well used in this investigation. We have an excellent lesson in this.

His dudeness
18th Jan 2018, 18:14
+/-100 knots is an epic fail.

If you know what and how to do, its not.

Mostly Harmless
18th Jan 2018, 21:34
Lots of good information on:
10 January 2018 - Aviation news release - Transportation Safety Board of Canada (http://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/medias-media/communiques/aviation/2018/a16a0032-20180110.asp)

Basically insufficient airspeed to counteract torque roll at 300' when powering back up.

Now that is interesting. That would give a lot of merit to the earlier statement that It's got a very small wing with a very high wing loading. In other words, it's all engine.

Octane
19th Jan 2018, 01:24
It doesn't really matter how you try to describe it, it was an example of absolutely woeful piloting resulting in the needless death of the poor people in the back. RIP :-(

act700
19th Jan 2018, 02:24
Now that is interesting. That would give a lot of merit to the earlier statement that
That is correct...there's a reason why it's called a (rice) Rocket!!

2016parks
26th Jan 2018, 14:13
The report indicates the first decision not to descend as normal was made in order to save fuel. How much fuel could have been saved, in comparison to the overall fuel expenditure for the two hour flight? Under what circumstances is that a valid reason?