PDA

View Full Version : Sad news - RIP Rick Jolly

VP959
14th Jan 2018, 17:45
Falklands War 'true hero' Captain Rick Jolly dies - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-42682005)

Rick did my annual aeromeds for years, and was one of the most entertaining and interesting medics I've ever met. He also provided me with a first aid kit for the first ever boat I owned, and gave me loads of advice on how to administer first aid to myself if alone.

My strongest memory of him is when I was getting dressed after a medical, whilst he was writing up the notes. I commented that I felt really great after my annual "MOT" and he just looked up, with a straight face and said something like "I don't want to disillusion you, but absolutely nothing we've done today could predict your demise. You're as likely to drop dead right now as you were when you came in"

He was one of a kind, remembered for his fantastic achievements with the "red and green life machine", but there was so much more he did. I recall meeting him once in the mess, when he was limping a bit. It turned out he'd winched down at night, in really bad weather, to give emergency medical aid to a sailor, and in the process had been swung against a part of the ship and been given a massive bash. He carried on, and IIRC saved the man's life, despite his own discomfort.

I still have my copy of one of his books here beside me, an early edition of Jackspeak, which is hilarious in parts. I shall re-read it tonight, in his memory, as well as raise a glass or two.

krismiler
14th Jan 2018, 18:18
His death was preceded by that of Rear Admiral Sandy Woodward, the task force commander, last year.

I remember in a TV interview how he talked about thanking the Argentine commander Mario Menendez, for surrendering and saving him a lot of work.

R.I.P.

olympus
15th Jan 2018, 12:23
The Telegraph obituary today mentions that he was presented with an award by Argentina for the work he did treating many of their injured personnel during/after the Falklands conflict. He subsequently visited Argentina and met many of the men he saved.

I didn't know him but I wish I did.

treadigraph
15th Jan 2018, 12:33

Me too. By all accounts an excellent bloke.

VP959
15th Jan 2018, 12:45
The Telegraph obituary today mentions that he was presented with an award by Argentina for the work he did treating many of their injured personnel during/after the Falklands conflict. He subsequently visited Argentina and met many of the men he saved.

You would have liked him, I'm sure.

I first met him as the doc doing my annual medical, and discovered very quickly that he was one of life's larger-than-life characters who would often go out of his way to help someone, without being asked.

The brief chat we had about me restoring an old yacht, and sailing across to France in a friend's yacht (solo) in order to save him getting caught for UK tax when taking leave, led to him giving me impromptu advice on self-administered first aid and then him putting together a first aid kit that he felt would cover most things I'd need. This was all done without me asking, The first aid kit just arrived on my desk a few days later with a brief note about the chat we'd had during my medical.

Lastly, it's quite possible that his actions following my first medical with him all those years ago may have prolonged my life a fair bit. He spotted that my blood pressure was bit high and sent me off to the sick bay to lay down for a while, where it was checked a few more times. He then suggested that it might be a good idea to see my GP. I was just over thirty years old at the time.

There followed a stack of investigations, revealing that I was one of the many who have a natural tendency to high blood pressure. Thankfully it didn't stop me flying, but has meant 30-odd years of taking daily medication to control it, along with some pretty radical dietary changes. I'm off to see my GP this Friday for the annual BP medication review, and I suspect that it will still be as well-controlled as it was not long after Rick spotted I might have a problem and I ended up on medication.