PDA

View Full Version : Job satisfaction in Qatar Airways

Flybartfcp
13th Jan 2018, 10:16
It seems that Qatar airways Pilots don’t complain as much as the colleagues south. As I have a proposal for captain 330, I would be most thankful if people can give me their impressions. Thank you in advance

birdy340
13th Jan 2018, 18:26
Recently a friend of mine, Captain on the wide body fleet resigned because the Airline and the salary was not up to his expectations. So much stress to operate with them and a salary barely acceptable in a very expensive country.

GillEx737
14th Jan 2018, 06:53
Any negative impressions of Qatar seem to disappear pretty quickly on this forum. Good to keep that in mind I think.

Avenger
14th Jan 2018, 08:05
Agreed, dissatisfaction is relative, no job is perfect but you go into a company with your eyes open. Qatar made it abundantly clear at the job road shows that they do not offer commute contracts, it has just worked out that way on certain fleets. As pressure increases and days off are reduced in blocks to 3 and 4 this is not "changing conditions of employment" and working more hours is not a "reduction in salary" . But long term in the ME for most is 6 years, after which look to cut your own grass in your own country.

BgVlad
14th Jan 2018, 08:12
Recently a friend of mine, Captain on the wide body fleet resigned because the Airline and the salary was not up to his expectations. So much stress to operate with them and a salary barely acceptable in a very expensive country.

I just don’t understand the salary bit! The salary is exactly as presented during the interview process, no surprises there. It’s also quite easy to find out cost of living before coming to Qatar.
In regards to stress...no more no less than any other ME airline.
I think people working for QR complain less, only because they come here with more realistic expectations. They are not caught up in hype of UAE lifestyle and they are more aware that this is only temporary. Most of the guys I’ve flown with, came here with very clear goals in regards to money, career progress, what they wanna achieve and when that is done, they are out.
Money is actually good, lots of opportunities for career progress and most of the guys are awesome to fly with.
Of course, we could complain about some things (accommodation being one of them), Doha lifestyle is not for everyone, but those are the facts that are available before coming here.

Seamin Stains
14th Jan 2018, 08:35
[QUOTE= But long term in the ME for most is 6 years, after which look to cut your own grass in your own country.[/QUOTE]
Whenever one gets too optimistic, or you have a great payday.
One should think of the quote above.

London legend
14th Jan 2018, 13:30
I’m the wife of a former Qatar Airways pilot. Hopefully you’ll find my experience helpful.

We were in Qatar for five years. My husband was on the 777 - a fleet which started out with fairly quiet rosters but gradually became hellish. He was home for just 8 days some months, and the rostering was brutal - flying east then west with less than 24 hours between. There were also cargo trips of up to 2 weeks, with very little flying (so v little flight pay) and lots of positioning (which they didn’t use to pay for, incredibly!)

Talking of pay - it’s pretty good, and allowances have gone up in recent years. I believe you can find a decent place to rent for the allowance, but food prices have gone up, and so have school fees. If you’re going to try to commute home, bear in mind that you’ll have to pay for business or first id90s (the crew cannot upgrade you from economy) and taxes for premium class in the UK and elsewhere are high. It’s not cheap.

Many people also get sucked into the expat lifestyle - expensive boozy brunches, large car loans, etc - and I do know people who have hardly saved in Qatar. It is very possible, but you have to be careful, particularly when choosing accommodation and schools.

It’s also worth noting that Qatar has some of the most polluted air in the world. The government never admits it, but the data is there for all to see. It’s not a great place for kids to grow up for this reason.

In the end, it wasn’t life in Doha which sent us home though - it was the stick not carrot management who seek to divide and conquer. You have no rights, really - the company can do what it likes to you and the QCAA will not object. Staff are so scared to speak out about the way they are treated they will rarely post on here, even anonymously. The cyber crime laws in Qatar also have caused many to fear speaking out (with good reason.)

We left because my husband was exhausted and demoralised. The company took all it could from him. You are not a valued employee - you are a number on a roster.

Money is not everything - we left for a country with decent employment rights, trustworthy healthcare, cleaner air, culture and beauty. There are some things you simply can’t put a price on.

mmorel
14th Jan 2018, 15:05
can I ask where did you guys move to?

Rihannangel
14th Jan 2018, 17:49
Maybe a stupid question.. but when you get hired as a pilot at Qatar Airways when do you receive their wing badge?

It seems that Qatar airways Pilots don’t complain as much as the colleagues south. As I have a proposal for captain 330, I would be most thankful if people can give me their impressions. Thank you in advance

London legend
14th Jan 2018, 20:09
can I ask where did you guys move to?

We moved back to the UK.

SOPS
14th Jan 2018, 23:41
Maybe a stupid question.. but when you get hired as a pilot at Qatar Airways when do you receive their wing badge?

Ok, I have to ask...why is that even important to you?

White Knight
15th Jan 2018, 02:22
It seems that Qatar airways Pilots don’t complain as much as the colleagues south

I'm sure they would love to complain! I imagine Qatar is very restrictive and really doesn't like bad press...

Enos
15th Jan 2018, 03:45
[QUOTE=Flybartfcp;10018493]It seems that Qatar airways Pilots don’t complain as much as the colleagues south.

Fear Fear FEAR

Well said Mrs London Legend

I like the comment stick not carrot.

Its the same down south here and it's not going to work much longer, there are lots of jobs out there now and they pay more and allow you to return to your home country other than on leave, it could be an interesting year trying to recruit pilots in this part of the world, especially as the disconnect between upper management and the work force continues to grow.

greenfields
15th Jan 2018, 05:28
it could be an interesting year trying to recruit pilots in this part of the world, especially as the disconnect between upper management and the work force continues to grow.

As in Dubai, where the delusion has reached the stage where management believe that Dubai is a good place to live, and people come for the city rather than to work for the airline. It is a mistake that is (if they were smart enough to realise!) haunting them, as people TOLERATED Dubai, because EK were good to work for, but they're not even close now, hence why they can't keep pilots or recruit them.

The ME is not a healthy place to live. My children seemed to have permanent (minor) coughs, and were forever nasally congested. After a mere 4 weeks back in a country without air pollution problems, their coughs and congestion disappeared. As you stated Enos, the air quality in the Middle East is HORRENDOUS. Search any independent report on it - it is the equal, and worse than, China, which is commonly referenced for poor air quality.

Squawk 6042
15th Jan 2018, 05:33
A recent post from the cabin crew side:

https://www.pprune.org/cabin-crew/604065-read-before-applying-qatar-airways.html

Avenger
15th Jan 2018, 07:20
It is true that attitudes have changed over the past 5 years or so and "living the dream" has partly become a matter of exit planning after accumulating enough wealth. Yes, its also true that several cabin crew were terminated for dating pilots, but they knew the rules regarding cohabitation on joining.. one could argue in the "normal world" this is harsh, but it's their world and they set the rules. Salaries are good, however costs are high, and getting much higher, hence the ability to save is reduced if you want a normal european style life. The blockade is still having a very negative effect,both on commuting and operations. Lack of training capacity means rosters are getting worse and if you are a trainer they expect machine like capacity. Once the kids get above about 4 its worth thinking of their futures and growing up in the ME may hinder their progress when they repatriate, ok schools are good, but expensive and not the "real McCoy" If you are a new joiner coming from a country that is worse, and there are many, then this is a good option, in a way Qatar is becoming like the foreign legion, a place to escape to for a limited time, and Compared to EK, Qatar are saints!

momo95
15th Jan 2018, 08:12
It’s also worth noting that Qatar has some of the most polluted air in the world. The government never admits it, but the data is there for all to see. It’s not a great place for kids to grow up for this reason.

We moved back to the UK.

:rolleyes:

Rihannangel
15th Jan 2018, 17:02
Because i'm dating a guy who has a normal job but I found a picture of an uniform and a wing badge in his closet. When I confronted him he told me he was an intern years ago and thats why he has a wing badge. So when do pilots receive a wingbadge at QA cause I think he is deceiving me..
Ok, I have to ask...why is that even important to you?

iggy
16th Jan 2018, 00:44
he was an intern years ago

Ok, I'll take the bait: what do you mean by "intern"?

And why you think a pilot job is not a normal job?

B737SFP
16th Jan 2018, 02:40
Kkkkkkkkkkk

Are you guys going to tell her the truth about the badge?

I can’t believe you are willing to screw a fellow aviator.

Sorry, no words about badges and intern stuff...

:D

masalama
16th Jan 2018, 04:05
wing badge oh no you just revealed his secret identity to the world , now he’ll have to neutralise you 😉😉

Avenger
16th Jan 2018, 05:50
"Catch me if you can" springs to mind!

Flyboy_SG
16th Jan 2018, 11:56
May be he is a MI6 Pilot.

Rihannangel
16th Jan 2018, 12:02
I'm asking a normal question as a young woman. So sad to see people can't give advice.. I don't know anything about aviation the only thing I care about is to know if he lied to me or not. Guess we can't even ask advice to people who know stuff

fliion
16th Jan 2018, 18:01
Because i'm dating a guy who has a normal job but I found a picture of an uniform and a wing badge in his closet. When I confronted him he told me he was an intern years ago and thats why he has a wing badge. So when do pilots receive a wingbadge at QA cause I think he is deceiving me..

Purple blazer? 🤥

Rihannangel
17th Jan 2018, 13:58
no. 2 stripes and a wing badge
Purple blazer? 🤥

Python27
17th Jan 2018, 17:45
Mein gott...

777AV8R
18th Jan 2018, 00:43
Cadet pilot....low time, low experience.
Must be under supervision while flying. No guarantees of making it through the complete process.

APU_inop
19th Jan 2018, 23:27
1 stripe is a cadet, 2 stripes is an FO with less than 3 years in the company even if he/she has more than 10 000 hours.

I'm an FO on the 777, although it's far from perfect , I'm quite happy with the job itself, Doha is not the most exciting place for a single lad, however it's a little bit of "what you make it". You have to come here with realistic expectations.

Money, roster, destinations, bidding system, staff travel, annual leave, route network and training is quite good. The job has improved significantly the last few years. I don't know about the Airbus fleet though.

Iver
20th Jan 2018, 01:37
Any pros and cons regarding the Dreamliner fleet and associated flying?

betin
20th Jan 2018, 15:48
QR is currently a “wait and see”status.
If allowances are reduced like the overtime shocker,exodus will happen.
At the moment,fairest/most structured airline to work for in the GCC.

BR-Pilot
5th Feb 2018, 06:38
Any pros and cons regarding the Dreamliner fleet and associated flying?
Rosters in the 787 are quite decent. Many European destinations, mostly N-S flights instead of W-E (so, except for some flights to Asia, you don't cross many time zones as the guys on 777 do). Midrange flights, you log all your flight time (so far) and the airplane is really nice.

Cons? No flights to the States to make some shopping.. lol

Python27
5th Feb 2018, 12:21
It all depends of your fleet...you have several "companies" inside one...

custardpsc
5th Feb 2018, 13:04
Rihannangel - confused - do you think he lied to you about being a pilot, or about not being a pilot ?

sophiabecker
6th Feb 2018, 08:33
Fear drives the entire company, plus most of the unhappy ones left for better jobs. That explains why the complaints won’t show here.

Rihannangel
8th Feb 2018, 11:26
Not being one.
Rihannangel - confused - do you think he lied to you about being a pilot, or about not being a pilot ?

Obbie
14th Feb 2018, 08:54
A Spanish FO was recently released for getting pregnant for
the second time in relatively short succession to the first pregnancy.

She was told her productivity history was unacceptably low.

Her husband, a Captain here, is doing what you would expect him to do.

It’s not a airline. It’s a labour camp. Don’t ever kid yourself.

lfbb
14th Feb 2018, 10:09
A Spanish FO was recently released for getting pregnant for
the second time in relatively short succession to the first pregnancy.

She was told her productivity history was unacceptably low.

Her husband, a Captain here, is doing what you would expect him to do.

It’s not a airline. It’s a labour camp. Don’t ever kid yourself.

It’s definitely a labour camp, but usually there is more behind stories like these. The company is ruthless when it comes to pilots mistakes but very understanding when the situation involves one’s personal life and health. Who knows?

gretzky99
19th Feb 2018, 04:10

Not being one.

Well it's official, our career has hit rock bottom. Now blokes have to lie about not being a pilot to pick up.

Adolf Galland
14th May 2018, 12:40

Thats not the case..!! In Qatarairways either you quit or they quit you.. it’s a big number of pilots entering and exiting the company on a daily bases..🙄

Jack330
15th May 2018, 07:10
Well, in Qatar airways if they quit you is usually for a reason, otherwise, if you do your job in a professional way, nobody will ever say a thing, all the termination in the past happened after a series of events related to the individuals, the last case is a bit of an exception, the two guys on the A350 that stayed 49 minutes without listening to the radio over Europe and if I'm not wrong, have been intercepted by some fighters but similar cases happened in emirates and other me airlines as well and they ended up with some warning letters or something. True that there's a busy turnaround, like everywhere else at the moment but there are pilots that joined 18 years ago and are still here.

Adolf Galland
15th May 2018, 14:41
Well, in Qatar airways if they quit you is usually for a reason, otherwise, if you do your job in a professional way, nobody will ever say a thing, all the termination in the past happened after a series of events related to the individuals, the last case is a bit of an exception, the two guys on the A350 that stayed 49 minutes without listening to the radio over Europe and if I'm not wrong, have been intercepted by some fighters but similar cases happened in emirates and other me airlines as well and they ended up with some warning letters or something. True that there's a busy turnaround, like everywhere else at the moment but there are pilots that joined 18 years ago and are still here.

I am am sorry but I disagree..!! The number of pilots left or currently leaving its many times more than those few staying.. I wonder if anyone is monitoring the cost of this continuous process.. quitting 7 captain per day and I mean quitting not fired that a lot..!!

Adolf Galland
15th May 2018, 16:35
Where do you get that number of 7 per day?
That is 35 per week, or 140 per month or 1780 per year. QR would only have about 2-2200 Captians at any one time (I will try and find out an exact number). So almost the entire CPT population turns over in a year? Either way, I think your numbers are grossly exagerated.
The reason I say that is because the Master Roster does not reflect your statement. I watch the Master Roster on the A320, and you would be lucky if you counted 7 Captains leaving over a couple of months let alone every day.

7 per day recently, the last couple of weeks,I am not suggesting the numbers you calculated.I have no access to such info as master roster personally however there is a constant movement of pilots in and out of the company that is out of normal proportions.
WHY? All of them bad professionals?

bananaman2
15th May 2018, 17:11
Half the time what people post on this forum is pure speculation, even 'knowing a mate' who works for the company is hardly factual information... I guess it's a rumour network after all!

7 pilot resignations a day is pure nonsense though... yes you tend to find people come to the Middle East/Qatar for a finite period of time, get what they need and leave... but since I've been in the company ... resignations haven't been as high as what I was lead to believe. And besides its regularly said that you find certain nationalities tend to stay - they have nowhere else to go - they are from war-torn or third world countries where safety is an issue or the pay just damm low.

wannabejetpilot
15th May 2018, 18:19
Adolf... what are you smoking??? Looking at the master roster for the entire fleet, there are about 10 guys who have resigned/terminated/retired this month. I have been keeping an eye on this for a while and it's about 7-10 a month... not a day! Overall, its pretty good over here. Depending on which fleet you are on and how you bid can determine the lifestyle you have. Doha isn't the most exciting place on earth but if you make an effort to make a few friends outside of QR, it's not too bad. Different strokes for different folks i guess......

dhc8d
15th May 2018, 22:25
Hi guys

how is the roster on B777 for FO’s ,?????
how many hours a month?
how many LR and ULR flights?

cheers.

FlyingOW
16th May 2018, 04:39
4 EK captains interviewing in QR this week. That pretty much sums it all up.

OW

PS “7 quitting per day” haven’t read so much BS in my life...

hitansh
16th May 2018, 09:01
If the number of people quitting is more than the ones joining then there ought to be problems in the company. I mean that is common sense.

ehwatezedoing
16th May 2018, 09:42
I am am sorry but I disagree..!! The number of pilots left or currently leaving its many times more than those few staying.. I wonder if anyone is monitoring the cost of this continuous process.. quitting 7 captain per day and I mean quitting not fired that a lot..!!
You write this thing without even thinking twice of the enormity of your statement (to stay polite)

Adolf Galland
16th May 2018, 10:01
Adolf... what are you smoking??? Looking at the master roster for the entire fleet, there are about 10 guys who have resigned/terminated/retired this month. I have been keeping an eye on this for a while and it's about 7-10 a month... not a day! Overall, its pretty good over here. Depending on which fleet you are on and how you bid can determine the lifestyle you have. Doha isn't the most exciting place on earth but if you make an effort to make a few friends outside of QR, it's not too bad. Different strokes for different folks i guess......

I am not smoking (not nice) by the way.. sorry I must understood wrong 7 a month it is then..!! Is this ok for the size of the Airline? (7 pilots per month in Lufthansa it would be impossible)alright guys I am pulling out ..my apologies, I didn’t mean to upset you but there are a lot of rumours out there..where there is no smoke there is no fire...Have a good time down there but be careful the big brothers it’s watching and it might call you at the office to “pull your ear”..or give you a letter for nothing and this is not a rumour it is the reality..!! Good day to all of you and happy landings.

Adolf Galland
16th May 2018, 10:07
You write this thing without even thinking twice of the enormity of your statement (to stay polite)

Apologies it was a mistake 7 per month that is..!!sorry for upsetting you sir... still I feel it’s a lot..

APU_inop
16th May 2018, 13:01
7 resignations a day? You better return from that Amsterdam layover quickly mate Hahaha!

As long as you stay updated, follow the rules and fly the airplane properly, treat people with respect despite cultural differences and use common sense, no one is going to sack you. If you get called after a bad day and can show that you tried to stick to the book and used common sense, they'll thank you and close the case.
People are nice, money and rosters are very competitive, schools etc are good. Not a bad gig at all in my opinion.
Many friends went to Norwegian but will have to come back soon due to the economical situation of Norwegian.

JV
17th May 2018, 01:11
Information about one former colleague and good acquaintance.

North American pilot who lost his job in a bankruptcy.
Goes to large and well known asian carrier with a very high profile and good reputation for a number of years, leaves just before the carrier kicks out all of the expats.
Works for another large asian carrier, known to be a little rough on their foreign employees and has a constant intake of foreigners because they all seem to leave.
Leaves for Qatar.
Says it's OK, but pollution is a problem.
States that this will be his last gig.

All in all, I get the impression from him that it is an OK job, not a lousy job, but not a great job either.

wannabejetpilot
17th May 2018, 09:13
7 per month, so 1 pilot of each fleet per month?
So 84 per year, out of over 3,000. So less than 3% attrtition per year?
5-10% per year is what is expected.

A recruiter in EK told me there attrition rate is 5% per month.
So can I now ask, what is your point other than just embarrassing yourself?

For the 2017/2018 financial year, we had 128 pilots who resigned/retired/terminated on all fleets combined. It could have been less if the blockade didn't happen. So considering we are almost at 3900 pilots now, that's a pretty decent retention rate for a ME carrier I would think.

hitansh
18th May 2018, 09:26
And now they are bonding pilots with their MPL Program(cadet Pilot). That is a good move to retain and exploit.

ColgatePlax
19th May 2018, 01:07
once again i ask, where are you getting yor highly exaggerated/inflated numbers from then?
If you don’t have access to the Master Roster, than you don’t work at QR.
Probably from EK, and trying to bring QR down to make your own life more tolerable. You should join, its a good job.

And if 1700 Captains were resigning per year as you suggest, why are they stopping DEC recruitment for the remainder of the year?

Have they really stopped DEC intake?

Smoke mountain
19th May 2018, 17:29
Well it's official, our career has hit rock bottom. Now blokes have to lie about not being a pilot to pick up.
We are in danger and our job is in greater danger!

Lepo
19th May 2018, 18:06

DECs in the talent pool received an email a few days ago saying that the company currently doesn't have any plans to hire DECs and they will advise if any opportunity comes up.

So apparently QR is not planning on hiring DEC in the near future.

ColgatePlax
22nd May 2018, 00:55
DECs in the talent pool received an email a few days ago saying that the company currently doesn't have any plans to hire DECs and they will advise if any opportunity comes up.

So apparently QR is not planning on hiring DEC in the near future.

Same email I’ve received then. Thanks mate.

tomuchwork
22nd May 2018, 20:00
To the TO. As a former QR skipper(left running in 2009) I can tell you - this airline has as many issues (if not even more) then their southern neighbours. After all A.B. is still in power and that old pilot hater just had to increase the T&C's otherwise they would NEVER expand because they lost more pilots then they could hire.

I guess now, with the blockage, business is slowing down, so less need for DEC's(and you can keep you FO's happy by upgrading them). Even Emirates is parking aircraft, might hurt QR eventually as well being hated by all it's neighbours(surprise, such lovely memories I have to that place on the sun ^^).

QR has a lot of issues. As far as I heard they still fire people for stupid reasons, so be prepared. The "package" may have improved but their mindset will never.

Black Pudding
22nd May 2018, 20:19
There are many here at Qatar who are very happy and have no intention of looking for another job. The thing is, they can't be bothered coming on here and reading half the crap that is posted. Some guys left a few years ago and went to that airline you can't mentioned, then after a couple of years applied and came back. Some FOs just went to Emirates and some Emirates guys have arrived here. I will say this, I have no intention of going to any of the other airlines here in the region unless I need a job. I'm staying put for the time being. I know many here who are of the same mindset.

wannabejetpilot
22nd May 2018, 23:56
There are many here at Qatar who are very happy and have no intention of looking for another job. The thing is, they can't be bothered coming on here and reading half the crap that is posted. Some guys left a few years ago and went to that airline you can't mentioned, then after a couple of years applied and came back. Some FOs just went to Emirates and some Emirates guys have arrived here. I will say this, I have no intention of going to any of the other airlines here in the region unless I need a job. I'm staying put for the time being. I know many here who are of the same mindset.

Agreed. A lot has changed since 2009. Probably 95% of the pilots I fly with don't have any intention of leaving anytime soon. The morale here seems to be a lot better than the pilots at our neighbouring airlines when I speak to my friends at the other 2. Even with the improved package at EK, for the same amount of flying, what you get at the end of the month with all allowances included is slightly more. But..... no bonus :{

WilliamBrantree
24th May 2018, 01:11
This might be both on and off topic at the same time. For the groundstaff I know it’s been a revolving door. Having read the reviews on the job websites, there wasn’t much positive feedback.

tomuchwork
25th May 2018, 00:08
Guys - honestly - and having seen to much of aviation business around the globe.

Back in the days we went to the ME only for ONE reason, to make money(or, to see which of the famous 2 buckets becomes full earlier, mine was the one with the ***t). The ME for me personally was a very good "cure" - I started to realize HOW good we are threathed back in Europe by MOST airlines(by far not all BUT at least you have legal possibilities to fight out your case. That is NOT the case in any ME country. Point.). That's why I decided to come back.

IF you want to make money nowadays you go to China. It's as simple as that. Even on commuting you make more or equal money then on sitting full time in the boring sandpit. Honestly, as a happy family man, I would neither choose ME or China, BUT IF you would think about there is only China. I am deeply surprised that there are still so many dragged down into the sandpit(well, must be the NG^^, always know better), their time, imho, down there was over nearly 10 years ago.

I know, there are always people that claim that they are happy down there, at my time there we made jokes that propably QR tampered with their water supply and added something ;-)....

If you want money, go to China - especially if you are young . If you want a proper life, clean air, good threatment for your family, job security, social security, retirement - stay in Europe. Well, you go to the middle east nowadays to get what....???? Sand? Go to the Italy, they have sand as well! PLUS - much nicer beaches. And offer a much better life btw.....

APU_inop
28th May 2018, 12:06
There's a reason why the salary is high in China. And it is not because they like the pilots. You sign a contract and then after signing the negotiation starts. You will earn nowhere near the announced and promised figures. Enjoy the multi resistant infections unless in Shenzen or Shanghai!

In Europe the rosters are bad, no chance of flying long haul except for Norwegian, 15-20 years for upgrade on the majors, crappy salaries since you pay more than half of your salary in tax. If you live in Northern Europe you are taxed even more than that. How are you going to fight your cause if you are not even employed by the company?

Alot has happened in QR since 2009. At the moment I would personally not return to Europe considering the roster and salary.

777AV8R
29th May 2018, 03:17
There's a reason why the salary is high in China. And it is not because they like the pilots. You sign a contract and then after signing the negotiation starts. You will earn nowhere near the announced and promised

Hmmm...I don't know about that one. My colleague needs a wheelbarrow to haul his money to the bank, that he makes with his operator based in the Capital. We have both worked together in Asia. It has been a very good experience. I retired quite enjoyably.

flyster
24th Aug 2018, 06:48
Well I have got many friends working in China for different airlines. None of them has got any infection, even some cities are quite nice to live in, close to nature and mountains without much pollution. If you say a country like China is everywhere the same you deny the size and the diversity in the country itself. And they did not have to negotiate anything. One of my friends of flight school is meanwhile more than millionaire. ;)

bringbackthe80s
25th Aug 2018, 05:48
Let them talk and bash things and places they have no clue about..They can enjoy a good row of 5 12 hrs European duties with 12 hrs rest in between, and still bashing a whole continent they have never worked in.

shinners
5th Sep 2018, 16:51
We moved back to the UK.

culture and beauty in UK??????

Manisha Dalal
13th Jul 2019, 06:49

Hi Friends, I am in talent pool for the past 1 month. Any idea about joining dates of b777 type rated captains.. also available slots in the coming months. Thanks

gatbusdriver
13th Jul 2019, 16:59
I don't doubt that tomuchwork had a shocking time in QR, but their opinion is now dated. Only the folks that are at the coal face can give you any constructive feedback. Although I left recently to return back to Blighty for the kids, I loved my time in Qatar, if you intend to come then do your research, if married, take your wife for a few days (preferably in Summer!)................remember I am not there any more so my opinion is nearly as worthless (I left this year)

There are plenty of things wrong with Qatar and QR, make sure you know what they are and whether you can put up with them. If you decide to have an adventure then make sure you intend to make the most of it. There are lots of things to do and places around the globe to visit, I also personally saved a lot of money there although I was seriously helped by the Brexit vote and consequential effect on the exchange rate.

Modular Halil
20th Feb 2020, 17:12
I'm asking a normal question as a young woman. So sad to see people can't give advice.. I don't know anything about aviation the only thing I care about is to know if he lied to me or not. Guess we can't even ask advice to people who know stuff

just saying the fact you'reypung or old has no significance

Count von Altibar
21st Feb 2020, 13:22
Apparently DEC over for the time being, I guess world events have taken their toll. Going to be a bad year for aviation 2020.

Papa_Golf
23rd Feb 2020, 10:59
With the new financial year due in April there could be some news. At the moment the ratio of DEC vs internal upgrade on Boeing is 50-50: none of them happening anyway.

The plan is to increase internal upgrades to a 60-40 ratio, but that of course may change due to "unforeseen circumstances". Many SFO frustrated by the current upgrade freezing.

SantiagoMike
23rd Feb 2020, 11:31
Any sort of updates for those who've been in the pool either Airbus or Boeing FOs?

Daddy Fantastic
27th Feb 2020, 10:25
Whats the current work environment and happiness scale like at Qatar? Has scheduling and quality of life improved over the last 18 months?

Silver68
28th Feb 2020, 07:42
No complaints from me. Very mature approach to rostering. You can bid for up to 6 days a month off, sometimes twice in a month. Days off can be added to leave too. The operation is run quite well and the aircraft are very well maintained. I get home to Europe every month, which is great as my family are still there. However, I do understand that different fleets have different satisfaction when it comes to rostering, with the 787 being pretty good and the 777 being worked quite harder.

FlyingOW
1st Mar 2020, 09:14
Triple 7 Capt, no complaints either, rosters have been quite good recently.

However, given the current state of affairs, the industry may be facing a downturn going forward.

Time to batten down the hatches.

OW

bafanguy
14th Jun 2020, 18:15
Did some searching but didn't find a specific, recent answer: Under current circumstances, what's the status of expat pilots at Qatar ( I did find a reference to cabin crew but not specifically pilots) ? If they left the country during this mess, have they been allowed to return...and is there a job there for them if/when they do return ?