PDA

View Full Version : FlyDubai time to command

Eric Hartman
12th Jan 2018, 15:11
I am looking for an advice from fellow aviators. I am a current captain working for a small company which is not doing very well. 5000 TT, 2000 PIC. I am thinking of applying to FlyDubai as a NTR F/O. What is the realistic time to command? Is this a wise move?

Eric Hartman
13th Jan 2018, 15:48
transport jock, turbulence_fl360 thank you guys for your answers. 2 years is tolerable. What is the average take home pay for an F/O? Are the figures on ppjn accurate?

Killer Loop
13th Jan 2018, 17:34
Yes Eric, the PPJN is pretty well spot on.

F2L
13th Jan 2018, 17:54
As F/O 11k USD averange. All alowances included. If you don’t have kids, you can live very well and save good money, for FO rosters are good right now.

Eric Hartman
13th Jan 2018, 17:55
As F/O 11k USD averange. All alowances included. If you don’t have kids, you can live very well and save good money
I have one kid. Will I be able to save anything?

High Energy
13th Jan 2018, 18:52
Average time to command is between 2 and 3 years. Some around 18 months, coming in NTR FO. Upgrade process here is a bit of a lotery with who you get for your sim check and how they feel that day. One wrong performance marker and you have to wait minimum 1 year. They prefer to upgrade their own FO's and from JUL18 have 1 aircraft coming in every month. From AUG19 two aircraft every month for many years. So many people needed. They try and upgrade 6 FO's per month. But this needs to go up, and will go up. Lifestyle is good as an FO. Junior guys have some amazing rosters. But it will be painfull when you upgrade. There is only 1 master seniority list. So everyone ahead of you will stay ahead of you untill they leave, irrespective of seat. It's a good company if you don't want long haul and prefer sleeping in your own bed without jetlag.

Wingman82
13th Jan 2018, 21:07
As F/O 11k USD averange. All alowances included. If you don’t have kids, you can live very well and save good money, for FO rosters are good right now.

You are telling that a fly dubai fo gets the salary of an Emirates captain ( 75-80h + basic salary no allowance) Are you for real?

Wingman82
13th Jan 2018, 21:47
Happy days then

Banana Joe
14th Jan 2018, 10:34
What is the TT minimum requirement to be considered for upgrade if joining as type rated but with less than 2000 hours total?
I understand at least 500 hours in FZ and 2 sim check with good grades or better are part of the requirements.

Voeltjie
17th Jan 2018, 06:13
You are telling that a fly dubai fo gets the salary of an Emirates captain ( 75-80h + basic salary no allowance) Are you for real?

Granted, FZ is offering a good salary for a LCC.

But lets compare apples to apples. all things considered according to my calcs, Basic + allowances +flight pay

Emirates F.O. 44 450 from their website

Flydubai F.O. 31 600 + 9000 avg flight pay

So, not close to an Emirates Captain.

That being said, FZ seems to have a more favourable working environment for now. I am personally looking at leaving my current carrier. From what I've been reading FZ roster pattern would afford me more nights in my own bed. More vital than cash for me, I have a young family so time spent with them is vital. Or am I being overly optimistic? I don't mind working hard, as long as I get a salary that reflects this and get left alone on my off days.

BritishGuy
17th Jan 2018, 07:42
And now you have to be a minimum of 28 years old. I thought I'd throw that in there too (just in case!!)

Tricia Takanawa
17th Jan 2018, 09:22
What staff travel benefits do you get at FlyDubai?

Also, can anyone share a roster. Obviously de-identified, 16-16th etc so that it cant be traced.

Thanks

turbulence_fl360
17th Jan 2018, 11:39
@Britguy,

The age limit has been removed. Its no longer there on the OM D1.

High Energy
17th Jan 2018, 16:07
What staff travel benefits do you get at FlyDubai?

Also, can anyone share a roster. Obviously de-identified, 16-16th etc so that it cant be traced.

Thanks

ID90/50 on flydubai and you can nominate 5 buddies. No J class with kids though. ID90/50 with around 30 or so myidtravel airlines. Big ones being KL/LH/AF/DL/WN/B6/KQ/LX/QF/EY and EK. Around 5 of those also for parents/inlaws, incl EK in both J and Y class. No siblings anywhere. This all was only introduced 9 months ago so I'm sure more will follow and it's a massive improvement from what it was.

Basically FO rosters are pretty good. I hear many junior FO's are actually very content with their roster. Captains are a different story. Unless you're in the top 40% you get worked to the max and have a very tough roster. In the top 40% I think it's more manageable with less sh*t. My biggest attraction as a Captain is the time with family at home without being tired whilst still getting paid a decent wage for a Hybrid carrier. (that's another seperate discussion...;-()

Tricia Takanawa
18th Jan 2018, 09:13
ID90/50 on flydubai and you can nominate 5 buddies. No J class with kids though. ID90/50 with around 30 or so myidtravel airlines. Big ones being KL/LH/AF/DL/WN/B6/KQ/LX/QF/EY and EK. Around 5 of those also for parents/inlaws, incl EK in both J and Y class. No siblings anywhere. This all was only introduced 9 months ago so I'm sure more will follow and it's a massive improvement from what it was.

Basically FO rosters are pretty good. I hear many junior FO's are actually very content with their roster. Captains are a different story. Unless you're in the top 40% you get worked to the max and have a very tough roster. In the top 40% I think it's more manageable with less sh*t. My biggest attraction as a Captain is the time with family at home without being tired whilst still getting paid a decent wage for a Hybrid carrier. (that's another seperate discussion...;-()

BritishGuy
18th Jan 2018, 09:23
@Britguy,

The age limit has been removed. Its no longer there on the OM D1.

Its in the ATO manual. (Yeah, another FZ speciality - manuals galore).

turbulence_fl360
18th Jan 2018, 09:30
It was on the OM D for about 6 months, before it was removed in the last revision.

BritishGuy
18th Jan 2018, 09:48
It was on the OM D for about 6 months, before it was removed in the last revision.

It is still a FZ prerequisite for command.

Eric Hartman
18th Jan 2018, 10:42
Thanks guys for the answers! I got my first command at the age of 28 and that was 5 years ago 😃

F2L
20th Jan 2018, 07:12
Thanks guys for the answers! I got my first command at the age of 28 and that was 5 years ago 😃

You can save good money with 1 kid. But, you need to manage how you spend your money, Dubai have lots of nice stuff to do and buy, there are many pilots who don’t save a dolar here, driving Porsches and Ferraris because loans are easy and cheap in UAE.

Personally in here to have a good life and improve my retirement plan. If you use o head instead your pocket you gonna be really fine in Dubai.

A lot of people complain about FZ. It s a nice job, everyday at home, layovers just if you want to. Around 10-12 days OFF (FO roster at this time). Cockpit environment is good, there is some FZ upgrade guys that think they are astronauts. Hahahah. But generally nice guys to work with. Most of the complains is about how company treat pilots, I give a sh*t for that, it’s just a job, not a relationship 😃.

A320 CURSED
21st Jan 2018, 17:07
Hello guys, need a lifeline and honest opinion, I know all the drawbacks about the sandbox.
I am not current on transport category airplanes now, but I flew as an FO for over 3000 hrs on A320 and B767. Those SIC types are now expired since I moved to another Country looking for greener pastures and is not working out, as most of you know in some ICAO regulated countries you loose you TR if you do not do recurrent training.
Las time I flew the 76 was on mid 2013 and I was wondering if with a current FAA ATP and some type rating I would attract attention from HR at Fly Dubai.
No I can not afford to go buy a TR, but have a couple i’ve Earned paying my dues in a small turboprop and VLJ. Yes I am currently flying.
Just looking for an honest opinion not for to tell me don’t come here, no place is perfect.
I am 40 years old over 7000 TT.
Thanks.

dubaigong
22nd Jan 2018, 16:48
Why do you ask that question on this website ?
Ask directly Flydubai if they will be interested in your candidacy...

But if you want my opinion , they have enough pilots ready to pay for the type rating and plenty of second officers using the CAE program to join Flydubai after ( if good enough after a sim evaluation with a FZ instructor )

Good luck

F2L
23rd Jan 2018, 08:54
Hello guys, need a lifeline and honest opinion, I know all the drawbacks about the sandbox.
I am not current on transport category airplanes now, but I flew as an FO for over 3000 hrs on A320 and B767. Those SIC types are now expired since I moved to another Country looking for greener pastures and is not working out, as most of you know in some ICAO regulated countries you loose you TR if you do not do recurrent training.
Las time I flew the 76 was on mid 2013 and I was wondering if with a current FAA ATP and some type rating I would attract attention from HR at Fly Dubai.
No I can not afford to go buy a TR, but have a couple i’ve Earned paying my dues in a small turboprop and VLJ. Yes I am currently flying.
Just looking for an honest opinion not for to tell me don’t come here, no place is perfect.
I am 40 years old over 7000 TT.
Thanks.

It doesn’t matter your last flight in 767 or 320, but, you need a valid type rating by the time you join in, I have a friend who last flight on 320 was in 2010 as PIC, and he was flying corporate jets (phenom, less than 10T) for the last 8 years, he joint as NTR DEC CA. With phenom type rating only.

If you currently flying, they will call you for an assessment.

den3aah
4th Mar 2018, 18:07

This is very helpful Thanks! Just to clarify, do the 5 nominated buddies (Beneficiaries) also get J and Y class seats on other myidtravel airlines too? or are they just allowed on FZ?

Thanks again.

Rigid Body
5th Mar 2018, 12:37
Does company give provident fund? What's the medical coverage for family (global coverage? Does it include dental?)

den3aah
3rd Aug 2018, 18:32
Only with FZ and only monkey class for the nominated 5.

HAHA. That made me laugh.

Ive been told that siblings are now included on FZ travel benefits. Can anyone confirm? Also, have they added more airlines to the list?
The buddy's list is pretty useless in monkey class!

Thanks for your help guys

dubaigong
4th Aug 2018, 02:37
Provident fund , go for EK if you want one , Nothing to see at FZ not even a salary increase in the last 8 years… just a slight increase in the sector pay

airbourne
12th Oct 2018, 16:10
Is there an upper age limit on NTR FO joining?

2nd career and all that.

High Energy
12th Oct 2018, 17:06
Is there an upper age limit on NTR FO joining?

2nd career and all that.

No. Only a limit if you join as a second officer. (max age 30)