PDA

View Full Version : I've hit my wall working in ME.

lfbb
12th Jan 2018, 07:48
Sorry if I sound like a whining baby on this post but I'm trying to figure out if there is something wrong with me or this is happening to everyone else. Lately I just feel I've hit my wall when comes to my career, being on the business for 25 years and completely lost my drive to continue flying. Can't stand how complicated things become, how much pressure is put on us coming from all directions and can't stand this shortage of pilots forcing us to endure flying overtime and constant roster changes. I still can't figure out if this is only a "ME syndrome" or it's widespread, I kinda have a feeling that changing jobs will not solve my problems. I attempted to reduce my flying stress and to motivate myself by joining the training department since I treasure good memories from my past experience as an instructor and already regret that decision, things are 10x more complicated once trining is involved. How do you guys coupe with modern aviation? Is ME really the root cause of all this or the aviation business is to be blamed. I always had plans to leave the company but don't know how to carry on until it's time to leave and even if leaving will be the answer since I look around and don't see many pilots happy with their company either. Maybe I'm a whining baby and things are not so bad.... go figure.

SOPS
12th Jan 2018, 08:34
Sent you a PM

KippaLippa
12th Jan 2018, 09:15
Ifbb relax.
It is the job.
simply has nothing to do with that job having the same name but done 15-20 years ago and earlier.
The solution IS to change job, not to change employer.
I don't have the strength or will to it anymore.
just letting the time pass and eventually I'll be done with it in some more years.
sad? Yes it is.
like it was sad to work in mines a century ago.
This is actually many times better than that

KL

SOPS
12th Jan 2018, 10:07
So how are you going doing training, regretting you are doing it? Is that fair on the people you are training?

sealear
12th Jan 2018, 10:22
You're not alone, thousands of EK pilots are in the same boat with you. But it isn't just EK, it's the whole industry. My previous airlines, where my friends work now etc... Its all the same. Things are spiralling out of control. Maybe it will turn around when there is an extreme pilot shortage in a decade or so, but by then I'll be long gone from aviation.

It is sad to see this incredible profession go down the drain. I used to be so proud to wear the uniform and call myself a professional pilot. Not anymore, I have no pride left in what I do. The whole industry is a sad disgrace. Every other day another stupid procedure or threatening email about how hopeless we are, meanwhile we drift further and further from actually doing what we do best... Fly aeroplane's.

Now just counting down until the money bucket is full and I'll be back in my home country. Like another poster said, just passing the time now... PPC to PPC, nodding my head but inside couldn't care less. Sad reality but that's what it is now.

felixthecat
12th Jan 2018, 10:50
Like another poster said, just passing the time now... PPC to PPC, nodding my head but inside couldn't care less. Sad reality but that's what it is now.

Isn't it sad that so many of us feel this way now. I'm the same, filling up the bank balance until I hit the Press 2 level. One day management will look back and wonder where it all went wrong......

Sciolistes
12th Jan 2018, 11:55
Go across the runway to flydubai. Super stable roster. Easiest job I ever had, only real issue was dealing with all night turnarounds. Wish I was still there.

Odins Raven
12th Jan 2018, 14:11
Go across the runway to flydubai. Super stable roster. Easiest job I ever had, only real issue was dealing with all night turnarounds. Wish I was still there.

With the greatest possible respect to FlyDubai and it’s great crew, it doesn’t say much about EK when pilots aspire to work for its low-cost short-haul division rather than what was once the ‘World’s Best Airline’...

Odins Raven
12th Jan 2018, 14:22
Now just counting down until the money bucket is full and I'll be back in my home country. Like another poster said, just passing the time now... PPC to PPC, nodding my head but inside couldn't care less. Sad reality but that's what it is now.

Whilst the industry has slipped from what it once was, it’s not as bad as EK would have you believe. There is life outside of long-haul and the Middle East if you can mentally overcome the loss of that ‘perceived status’ that long-term EK employees have (and I mean that in a positive sense - you’re status as a respected long-haul wodebody skipper has been hard-earned).

But your post demonstrates a good point. There’s basically nothing that can be done about EK or the industry, but you do have a choice - you stay and keep putting away what money you have to leave the industry earlier, at the expense of maintaining a happy life/family until that point. Or you can do what many have done and sacrifice the bigger pay-packet and earlier retirement with the benefit of enjoying lifestyle more in the present. That’s what myself and many others have now done. I don’t live so salubriously but I have a pleasant work-life balance and I love going to work flying again. I just have to work longer until retirement and live more modestly. Personally I’ve got no regrets, but it doesn’t work for everybody.

I guess it all depends on which bucket is more important to you. Money vs Less S**t. Think about it long and hard and work out what you will regret less in the future.

Jack D
12th Jan 2018, 15:06
Well said Odin ! The industry has changed but it’s not all bad . I’ve seen the so called legacy carrier “good old days” which was fantastic in comparison to present terms and conditions in the ME and elsewhere. Respect, on all sides, a very good salary and a healthy working environment . It’s their train set now but they don’t know how to run it and doubtless never will

Schnowzer
12th Jan 2018, 16:25
If bb you read my mind. So sad🤔

bar none
12th Jan 2018, 18:54
The crunch comes when you retire. Then you look back and realise that lifestyle trumps money every time. As long as you can survive comfortably on a lesser salary go for it, otherwise you will eventually realise that you have wasted your life.

my salami
12th Jan 2018, 20:50

I'm really happy for you...But,
if so, why isn't everyone running to apply and you have Captains willing to jump ship and downgrade to F/Os?

MS

Dan Winterland
13th Jan 2018, 02:56
It's a function of the job. Heavily SOP based with little recourse to skill or judgement, rosters which use the FTLs at targets, not limits and management who offer no respect and are only too keen to blame. Not to mention the constant onslaught on terms and conditions. Flying is boring and I go to work with little or no enthusiasm for the job. I won't be flying for much longer I feel.

Major Cleve Saville
13th Jan 2018, 05:45
It's a function of the job. Heavily SOP based with little recourse to skill or judgement, rosters which use the FTLs at targets, not limits and management who offer no respect and are only too keen to blame. Not to mention the constant onslaught on terms and conditions. Flying is boring and I go to work with little or no enthusiasm for the job. I won't be flying for much longer I feel.

I agree. A high level of automation, no real skill required, it's turned into a technocratic memory test. Everyday is about managing/fighting fatigue with no job satisfaction.

I will be done this year, after 40 years its no longer what I signed up for.

BANANASBANANAS
13th Jan 2018, 06:14
I agree. A high level of automation, no real skill required, it's turned into a technocratic memory test. Everyday is about managing/fighting fatigue with no job satisfaction.

I will be done this year, after 40 years its no longer what I signed up for.

After 38 years and well over 20,000 hours in the industry, the vast majority of which was spent in wide body twins or 4 engine jets, I too have, reluctantly, reached a similar conclusion.

Fatigue and over proceduralisation, with airmanship, skill and judgement no longer required means the job satisfaction has been forcibly removed and although the money bucket is not quite as full as I would like, we will cope and I will get my health, life and peace of mind back.

Pointless waiting for things to improve. If they were going to, they would have by now.

fatbus
13th Jan 2018, 06:29
"Never say never" but things will never get better here and I think the entire industry is heading that way . Bean counters dream. I also get concerned about getting on a flight as a pax , "Captain of the magenta line " there are many examples of accidents and serious incidents.

pilotguy1222
13th Jan 2018, 08:24
I am sure there are many airlines around the world that cause this effect, but I agree that is EK is wearing thin on me.
I thought I would never leave this place, but with each passing week, I feel that day is coming.

Uplinker
13th Jan 2018, 09:18
QUALITY OF LIFE AND FAMILY LIFE ARE THE ONLY THINGS THAT MATTER !

Sorry to shout, but it is very easy in our industry to get caught up with the money and the big shiny jets and the uniform - I did once.

But then, some years’ ago I went through a horrible divorce - caused in part by my working hours and long commutes to work - I never really saw my family properly because I was either recovering from the previous 6 on 2 off or was sleeping ready for the next duty. I lost my house and half my pension pot. More recently, my employer suddenly stopped trading; putting us all out of a job, and it seems that despite what they say, some airlines are reluctant to employ a pilot of my age.

So I have gone from being well on the way to a comfortable living and the prospect of a well funded retirement, back to square one.

But, do you know what? Both these major catastrophes in my life have taught me that family and one’s wellbeing are the ONLY things that are important. Everything else is irrelevant.

So my advice to anyone is that if you are not enjoying your job, or the hours and management are getting you down; Resign. Do something else that you really enjoy.

Move and buy a house in the Welsh hills, buy a piano and learn to play it, learn to paint or draw and watch the sunsets or whatever, but LIVE YOUR LIFE - the money and the kudos of flying large aircraft is really not important.

There is no point spending your whole working life away from home, missing your children growing up etc., only to end up as a burnt out husk with health problems.

Farrell
13th Jan 2018, 09:37
Came here with nothing.
Listened to the adults.
Saved money.
Have a bail out mechanism.
Enjoy it mostly.
Some days I struggle, and when I do I weigh my two buckets.
"The Graveyard of Ambition" as a friend calls it.

springbok449
13th Jan 2018, 09:49
Oddins post sums it up nicely, it all depends what your priorities are, I also left and took a big pay cut but have no regrets, am a new refreshed and less grumpy person!

SOPS
13th Jan 2018, 12:50
When I post on here, I get comments on here..or via PM..asking me why I am still on this board because I left EK almost 3 years ago.

Firstly...because I can.But more importantly, its because I still have friends in EK and like to keep up with what is going on. And more importantly...let people know...there is a life beyond EK and Big Jets.

As I sit here with the dogs and a glass of wine...I have two days off. Then I go back to work to drive a train. Because its an "early" shift..starting at 4.00 am, i have to finish by 10.30 am..this includes a 1 hour break for breakfast at 7.30am.

There is a life beyond the EK Big Jets...it might not pay as much....but yu will feel so much better for it..trust me....I will bet you my house that when you are lying on your death bed you won't say "I wish I had spent another year in Dubai"

Just my thoughts.

dubaigong
13th Jan 2018, 14:43
Sciolistes,

I have no idea for who you are flying since you left FZ but I can tell you that with my experience of low cost in europe ( Ryanair ) and FZ here , I still prefer Ryanair...
Why ?
You can really enjoy flying manually there and they have some nice and challenging approaches to play with including visuals or circling.
The roster was a lot more stable with no night flights ( 5 days flying always followed by 4 days off ; 5 days early departure 4 days off then 5 days afternoon departure 4 days off etc...)
If you make a mistake , you will be grounded , sent back to the simulator for some specific training then back on line )
Here you get " fired " or should I say they ask you to resign...
So I am not really sure why you regret FZ and talking about fatigue , I have never been fatigued at Ryanair because I had always 4 days off to recover and never shifting from day to deep night and vice versa...
FZ is definitely a lot worse except for the money

777AV8R
13th Jan 2018, 22:26
Having worked in the industry, where flying was my passion, I began to wake up to the values that mattered most:

1. Family
2. Time off

With over 40 years and more hours than I care to think about, I sought to achieve servicing those two value points. I got around people who had achieved real success in their lives and had time with family, time off and had developed an incredible ongoing asset, something I had wanted.

I resigned from active flying some years ago. I don’t awake to an alarm clock in the middle of the afternoon to operate some polar operation for 15 hours. I choose to go to places in this world with my family when I want to and, I don’t have to worry about running my bank account dry.

A changed mindset did it for us. I have a renewed incredible relationship with my wife and family.

I am grateful to have had the career that I did however; it cannot replace the life I have now.

I hear your pain and it isn’t just in the ME.

Best wishes to you all.

Neptune Spear
14th Jan 2018, 02:15
I have said it before here many times but just like Sops I’ll say it again. Get out of Emirates as quick as you can. You’ll be so much better off in every aspect.

RemoveB4Flght
14th Jan 2018, 04:03
Came here at a low point, laid off and not many opportunities. Thought it would be a 1-2 year stint, an asterisk in my career.

First year was a typical Dubai experience of Brunches, Holidays, and expenditures.

Second year was frugal as I figured another opportunity was imminent and i should just work and save. Downsized my car, my flat, and paid off a fair chunk of my debts and was ready to "go"".

Third year was a low point, until I came to a realization that I was living and working here. I needed to be "here". I (politely) avoided other pilots and families who basically lived like I was, one foot out the door and constantly b*tching about the company, country, and counting the days until the next holiday "home". I made friends with long term expats rather than the 1-2 year contract crowd.

The next few years were my favorite here. I pursued new interests and rediscovered old ones. I turned my uni-student themed house into a home. I embraced life here and found it to be rewarding even with the frustrations.

Then I hit another wall. As I close in on a decade I realize neither the company nor the country really want me here for another decade. While I don't regret my time here, I also know that either I leave on my own terms or I will become entrenched and bitter and all the good memories of my time here will scatter like a fart in the wind.

I have an exit strategy and time line. It's nothing drastic or rash, but it includes some time off from working to re-calibrate some of my Dubaisms. I'll be debt free and money in my pocket, and am determined to not look back at my time here and think it wasted.

Truth is, when I get on that flight home with just a backpack slung over my shoulder and hear my final "yis boss".. i'm gonna miss this place.

Arcla
14th Jan 2018, 09:56
Excellent post. 👏🏻. Pretty much sums up my time here exactly!

Nothing rash but the exit is being planned in the same manner.

Airbubba
14th Jan 2018, 10:03
I have said it before here many times but just like Sops I’ll say it again. Get out of Emirates as quick as you can. You’ll be so much better off in every aspect.

I remember a while back some lad here was bragging about how he wouldn't go to Delta because they don't give him a ride in a silver chauffeured limo and cash per diem in local currency at the hotel. ;)

AERO75
14th Jan 2018, 10:04
out of curiosity, how much money are you able to put aside on an average month? thanks!

bringbackthe80s
14th Jan 2018, 10:24
Came here at a low point, laid off and not many opportunities. Thought it would be a 1-2 year stint, an asterisk in my career.

First year was a typical Dubai experience of Brunches, Holidays, and expenditures.

Second year was frugal as I figured another opportunity was imminent and i should just work and save. Downsized my car, my flat, and paid off a fair chunk of my debts and was ready to "go"".

Third year was a low point, until I came to a realization that I was living and working here. I needed to be "here". I (politely) avoided other pilots and families who basically lived like I was, one foot out the door and constantly b*tching about the company, country, and counting the days until the next holiday "home". I made friends with long term expats rather than the 1-2 year contract crowd.

The next few years were my favorite here. I pursued new interests and rediscovered old ones. I turned my uni-student themed house into a home. I embraced life here and found it to be rewarding even with the frustrations.

Then I hit another wall. As I close in on a decade I realize neither the company nor the country really want me here for another decade. While I don't regret my time here, I also know that either I leave on my own terms or I will become entrenched and bitter and all the good memories of my time here will scatter like a fart in the wind.

I have an exit strategy and time line. It's nothing drastic or rash, but it includes some time off from working to re-calibrate some of my Dubaisms. I'll be debt free and money in my pocket, and am determined to not look back at my time here and think it wasted.

Truth is, when I get on that flight home with just a backpack slung over my shoulder and hear my final "yis boss".. i'm gonna miss this place.

You could say this about every place I lived in the last 15 years

White Knight
14th Jan 2018, 11:01
silver chauffeured limo

Silver maybe... But chauffeur and limo?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Monarch Man
14th Jan 2018, 11:20
Having dealt with 4 airline failures and having avoided a 5th (let you guess that one) I thought I’d add my perspective here.
Just like everyone else I’ve been through the gambit of emotions and stages that everyone seems to here, that being said, after I’d been here 7 years I suddenly realised that I had the financial monkey off my back. Along the way I’ve actively avoided any significant involvement with other EK colleagues and I’ve made a concerted effort to ignore all the moans, groans, missives, FCI’s, ACI’s, company updates, training edicts and the half a hundred other small cuts and directives imposed at various times.
The result is that I go to work with a mindset of looking after myself and my crew first and foremost without ever being concerned about fleet or the other oxygen thieves.
This place is what you make of it, I couldn’t give too sh1ts about the locals, the airline or the BS that other people mistakenly believe they can change. When I leave here my kids will have been adequately educated, my mortgage will be 0 and I will have enough invested to see myself and my good wife into a long retirement, until then, when you work with me I will be the first to buy you a beer and laugh at the @ssholes we work for.
I should add that with a little bit of thought it’s been very easy to continue to bring 4 litres of fire water back into these uncivilised parts.

Airbubba
14th Jan 2018, 11:27
Silver maybe... But chauffeur and limo?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well, he actually said that Delta wouldn't give him a 'silver Chauffeur [sic] sedan to and from Atlanta airport from my house'.

Some of those poor Deltoids have to drive their own Ford F150's from Peachtree City to the employee parking lot. :)

felixthecat
14th Jan 2018, 12:08
I have had enough here too.

When I joined it was a far far different company to what it is today, people were generally happier and the mood was so much brighter. I wasn't flying my ass off, crazy tired and constantly struggling with close to minimum days off and 90+ hours month in month out.

I was proud to work for Emirates at that stage, then things slowly started to change. Now I go to work, do my job and countdown till I leave. There is ridiculous pressure from management and the threat based environment they have created, whilst sticking their head in the sand and telling everyone that there is no threat is crazy. Silly little petty rules that are brought in that don't save money but just cause bad feeling and resentment, examples of which are no more duty-free, no more than 1 day off before/after leave, not being allowed to officially bring in anything that doesn't fit in your suitcase etc etc. When management know the mood amongst the flight and cabin crew and yet they seemingly go out of their way to make things more miserable. Why???

The one thing that is still reasonable, depending on the length of service and position, is the salary. Even the salary is however rapidly spiraling southwards with no pay raises, no step increases, whilst inflation, tax and excise duties eat away bit by bit. Is it any wonder the few they get to join still are from somewhat disadvantaged countries or those are desperate for a jet rating.

I do however still look at friends in the western countries who struggle to make ends meet and when I'm feeling low remind myself of a reasonably bright future should I keep saving. In most countries things for the average worker are not bright and shiny, unfortunately, we are starting to feel that too.

I suffer this today for the quality of life tomorrow, I just hope I make it to tomorrow with the crazy workload and management environment we have these days.

SOPS
14th Jan 2018, 12:46
And Felix, this is were you have to be careful. You 'suffer" today for the hope of a better life tomorrow. And when what is your cut off point between suffering today and a good life tomorrow?

Speak to Harry..all s good. Speak to me...I think you should get your arse out of there yesterday.....its all up to you.

But as I have said before...if you were lying on your death bed right now...would you say...I wish I had spent one ,ore year in EK" ?

Rhodes13
14th Jan 2018, 13:18
Problem is Monarch Man even with that attitude what happens when something happens that’s out of your control and the companies first reaction is to fire you? I’m sure even you would be slightly pissed if you were the augmenting Captain or FO on 207 (or any of the multiple other examples we could list) and through no fault of your own your job was on the line? That’s not much of a way to live your life or really enjoy work is it? I too try to ignore the missives however the constant attacks and blatant lies and disrespect eventually wear even the strongest person down and it’s sad that pretty much everyone on the line is unhappy and fearful for the future. Surely that’s causing long term damage to both the employees and the company?

sealear
14th Jan 2018, 13:38
I agree with you SOPS however we can't all drive trains for a living (in fact, in my home country the working schedules are terrible). So like Felix, I will slog it out for a while longer so that when I do finally leave EK i won't have to worry about the next sh***y airline that I will have to work for. This life just isn't what I signed up for, and I can't see the next place being any better.......

Gordomac
14th Jan 2018, 14:28
Excellent posts by all. Rather sad though. I got 17 years in the ME but booted out for being, as my ex CP told me over a JD & coke (that I bought him) for being a pain in the rectum ! Cared too much. Glad to be out of it and all of you lining your pockets & dreaming of retirement, keep on. It is rough & not the same but boy, I have loved my last 8 years in the Cyprus sun, bobbing about in my Lidle's inflatable, spilling my JD & Coke and shouting at Nigel as he still gets that final base turn all wrong over my pool ! Still treasure the fondest of times.

Was recently asked by a wannabe if I could recommend the career. Spilled my Jack down the front of my Aya Nappa Hard Rock shirt !

Monarch Man
14th Jan 2018, 14:52
Problem is Monarch Man even with that attitude what happens when something happens that’s out of your control and the companies first reaction is to fire you? I’m sure even you would be slightly pissed if you were the augmenting Captain or FO on 207 (or any of the multiple other examples we could list) and through no fault of your own your job was on the line? That’s not much of a way to live your life or really enjoy work is it? I too try to ignore the missives however the constant attacks and blatant lies and disrespect eventually wear even the strongest person down and it’s sad that pretty much everyone on the line is unhappy and fearful for the future. Surely that’s causing long term damage to both the employees and the company?

What happens? I leave knowing I haven’t made the mistake of investing in this Middle East turdpit either emotionally or financially, I leave knowing I will be just fine thanks very much, I leave having squeezed every last Dirham out of a place and organisation that places no value on me or my family.
Professionally I view the vast majority of the individuals above my pay grade in the same way I do with the solid matter I deposit in the porcelain palace.
Lies and disrespect? who fecking cares? They are so out of touch it’s laughable! they can keep damaging as much as they want, meanwhile I will take full advantage and laugh and press “2” whilst doing it. Muppets the lot of them, not even worth the time to care about, that is the result of their attitude and astounding lack of leadership.

donpizmeov
14th Jan 2018, 15:31
Totally agree Monarch.

Sometimes we can forget we control what happens with our lives. Take control. If being here is slowly taking your will to live, then do something about it. There has not been a better time to do so for decades. You need to make a decision and be happy with it, be it to stay or leave. It really is that simple. Many say things have changed since they joined. What they mean is, things for them have changed since they joined. Pilots have been sacked for no good reason in the decade and a half I have been here. Hours on one the fleets has been at 100hrs since we started ULR in 2004. Leave has been sh@t since since that Pr@ck Ed said we were temporarily only get 30days, the list goes on.
It's only a job. Once you get home leave the company and the emails from the muppets alone. Delete company email from your phone. Don't let them wear you down. They ain't worth it.

harry the cod
14th Jan 2018, 19:16
SOPS

Feel free to keep fishing my friend.....

Harry

greenfields
14th Jan 2018, 22:32
It's only a job. Once you get home

In the ME you never, ever get 'home'.

It is an illusion as great as the falsity of the city itself, and only after leaving, and recovering, does one realise how true that is.

The same opinions will be made over and over :Those who 'stay' (handcuffed? By money? By career path?) and say they make it work for them. And those who say I realigned my view on the meaning of life and left.

I asked myself the question that if I or a member of my family was to die in Dubai, or get a terminal illness, how would I feel about my last 7 years spent in Dubai?

My resignation letter written shortly thereafter was written with not the slightest feeling of apprehension.

GillEx737
15th Jan 2018, 03:31
I have had enough here too.

When I joined it was a far far different company to what it is today, people were generally happier and the mood was so much brighter. I wasn't flying my ass off, crazy tired and constantly struggling with close to minimum days off and 90+ hours month in month out.

I was proud to work for Emirates at that stage, then things slowly started to change. Now I go to work, do my job and countdown till I leave. There is ridiculous pressure from management and the threat based environment they have created, whilst sticking their head in the sand and telling everyone that there is no threat is crazy. Silly little petty rules that are brought in that don't save money but just cause bad feeling and resentment, examples of which are no more duty-free, no more than 1 day off before/after leave, not being allowed to officially bring in anything that doesn't fit in your suitcase etc etc. When management know the mood amongst the flight and cabin crew and yet they seemingly go out of their way to make things more miserable. Why???

The one thing that is still reasonable, depending on the length of service and position, is the salary. Even the salary is however rapidly spiraling southwards with no pay raises, no step increases, whilst inflation, tax and excise duties eat away bit by bit. Is it any wonder the few they get to join still are from somewhat disadvantaged countries or those are desperate for a jet rating.

I do however still look at friends in the western countries who struggle to make ends meet and when I'm feeling low remind myself of a reasonably bright future should I keep saving. In most countries things for the average worker are not bright and shiny, unfortunately, we are starting to feel that too.

I suffer this today for the quality of life tomorrow, I just hope I make it to tomorrow with the crazy workload and management environment we have these days.

Very well put - I think this is the same for a lot of us.

gtaflyer
15th Jan 2018, 09:07
For what it's worth if you don't mind me saying your too much settled there. When I left ME just over year ago it was blessing in disguise. Getting more money then before, working 50% in Europe and 50% ...oh lets say in far east..fantastic turn of events. My advice to you, is move now and move quickly before it's too late and the opportunities missed. Of course MEcarriers want you all to themselves full time slave. With the heavy flying roster you don't have time to think,plan,send cv or even plan interview without calling sick or ask for leave....yep they have you keep flying to keep your mind of other things and your too fatigued to look for a job!

Finally if you decide it's time for change don't forget logbook stamped updated, licence verification letter, police clearance letter or CRC nearer to leaving time, references etc. Your potentials will want these land asap amber. Good luck

CDRW
17th Jan 2018, 03:41

Very good and well said . Minimum rest is a target. Hours factoring - only middle east companies do this?

Won't say the flying is boring - but just so restrictive.

Laker
17th Jan 2018, 04:49
You're not alone, thousands of EK pilots are in the same boat with you. But it isn't just EK, it's the whole industry. My previous airlines, where my friends work now etc... Its all the same. Things are spiralling out of control. Maybe it will turn around when there is an extreme pilot shortage in a decade or so, but by then I'll be long gone from aviation.

It is sad to see this incredible profession go down the drain. I used to be so proud to wear the uniform and call myself a professional pilot. Not anymore, I have no pride left in what I do. The whole industry is a sad disgrace. Every other day another stupid procedure or threatening email about how hopeless we are, meanwhile we drift further and further from actually doing what we do best... Fly aeroplane's.

I have to disagree with that one. I didn't realize how bad EK had become until I went back to my previous airline. I agree that Emirates has been ruined by incompetent managers. But there are still many great airlines out there which provide flexibility, time off and huge earning potential.

Farrell
17th Jan 2018, 10:00
I'll quote Seneca as what I feel is an apt comment for your situations...

“Set aside a certain number of days, during which you shall be content with the scantest and cheapest fare, with coarse and rough dress, saying to yourself the while: ‘Is this the condition that I so feared?’

MaverickPrime
17th Jan 2018, 18:01
Out of interest, what sort of duty hours per year will you work at one of the ME3? I understand your AL is sporadic, but by the end of the year do you get your full leave quota?

natops
17th Jan 2018, 21:36
900-1000 hrs including dh hours a year, 30 outof the yearly 45 days leave on paper. Already 4 month nothing I bid for...including no requests during my topbid month.
First biidding round for leave, again absolutely zero days gotten. Outof all the years in this company I got 4 weeks of leave with my family. Month of feb close to 90 hrs, not more than 2 days off on a row, again.
Yes im 777, and no , not happy.

Leaving in 10 months.