PDA

View Full Version : Don't forget to close the door behind you

ricardian
11th Jan 2018, 00:23
A hatch left open on the INS Arihant lead to saltwater flooding the propulsion area, rendering the $2.9 billion submarine inoperative. (https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/indias-first-nuclear-missile-submarine-crippled-sailor-leaves-hatch-open/?utm_source=FB&utm_medium=UKDJPage&utm_campaign=social)

meadowrun
11th Jan 2018, 01:02
Was it the "screen door"?

Lonewolf_50
11th Jan 2018, 02:10
Based on the Akula class -- SSN-- to eventually be an SSBN?
From the link
INS Arihant is to be the first of the expected five in the class of submarines designed and constructed as a part of the Indian Navy’s secretive Advanced Technology Vessel project. The Arihant class submarines are reported to be based on the Akula class submarine.

India has an ambitious plan to build a SSBN fleet, comprising five Arihant class vessels.
Color me puzzled.

LowNSlow
11th Jan 2018, 05:11
Hmm is this the same India that received £186 million in aid from the UK in 2015? https://fullfact.org/economy/uk-spending-foreign-aid/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIudfaiZLP2AIVyr3tCh1BDATnEAAYAiAAEgIWX_D_B wE

Pontius Navigator
11th Jan 2018, 07:51
I see that Wiki has an estimate 10 months for the repairs. Good job HSE is not involved :)

UniFoxOs
11th Jan 2018, 09:19
LNS - yes, and the same India that builds space rockets and has millions of its population living in poverty in slums with no running water or sanitation.

One questions who they think would want to invade and take the place over.

ETOPS
11th Jan 2018, 09:31
who they think would want to invade

Pakistan - they're both paranoid about each other.

old,not bold
11th Jan 2018, 11:40
Don't you just love it when human failings defeat technology? It gives me great comfort that the machines will never take over.

In the '80's, I forget exactly when, a group of airport consultants from 5 or 6 short-listed international companies were being shown round the nearly finished new airport at Riyadh, as a preliminary to preparing tenders for the management contract. The airport was vast and the tour had extended into the 2nd day. We had all walked for miles in the stifling heat, we had seen technological marvels of all kinds, everything run by computer, temperature maintained to 0.1 of a degree, information systems no-one could even understand, automatic baggage systems so advanced their software was secret, gold leaf everywhere, lighting controlled by computer, maintenance run by computer, etc etc etc.

As we walked back to the (air-conditioned) bus to go and see the final wonder, the man from Boeing fell into step beside me and said, in a ruminative sort of way, "Y'know, it's my experience that you can have all the wonders of the world, computers everywhere, marble hall, fabulous travellators, baggage sorted and delivered in minutes, the whole 9 yards. But at the end of the marble corridor, underneath the crystal chandelier, there'll be a little guy sitting at a messy desk drinking a mug of tea, and he is going to f**k you up."

The world needs wise men like him.

treadigraph
11th Jan 2018, 11:49
here'll be a little guy sitting at a messy desk drinking a mug of tea, and he is going to f**k you up."

Priceless and absolutely true!

DaveReidUK
11th Jan 2018, 12:18
But at the end of the marble corridor, underneath the crystal chandelier, there'll be a little guy sitting at a messy desk drinking a mug of tea, and he is going to f**k you up.

Though in my experience, it's often the other way round. As the old saying goes

"To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer"

SASless
11th Jan 2018, 13:02
So much for a Christmas Tree and checking for pressure in the boat then I guess.:ugh:

Old fashioned but works!:ok:

SpringHeeledJack
11th Jan 2018, 13:53
You would have thought that self-preservation, if not common sense would have made this occurrence next to impossible.....In the RN they've apparently had trouble recruiting submariners, as the 'yoof' of today are unwilling to be separated from social media for the periods that they would be on patrol. Perhaps the IN have had the same problem and have had to recruit sub-standard sub-mariners ?

UniFoxOs
11th Jan 2018, 15:17
Pakistan - they're both paranoid about each other.

OK but they hardly need ICBMs for that - it's next door.

Pontius Navigator
11th Jan 2018, 17:47
SHD, I don't think self-preservation would be at the top of the list, they were in dock. Hard to think have they managed it.

NutLoose
11th Jan 2018, 18:05
LNS - yes, and the same India that builds space rockets and has millions of its population living in poverty in slums with no running water or sanitation.

I think running water was part of the problem.

oxenos
12th Jan 2018, 17:29
Don't forget to close the door behind you

British submariners do not say close - same vowel sound as open. Correct term is SHUT. Larry Grayson got it right, so why not the IN?

Loose rivets
13th Jan 2018, 01:42
But . . . but, if it's a submarine, does it matter if it sinks? :}

meadowrun
13th Jan 2018, 02:33
Old technology, building boats that sink. Perfected long ago.

megan
13th Jan 2018, 03:31
But . . . but, if it's a submarine, does it matter if it sinks?Well, yes, if it won't float.

Spain's £1.75bn submarine programme is torpedoed after realising near-complete vessel is 70 tonnes too heavy | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2336953/Spains-1-75bn-submarine-programme-torpedoed-realising-near-complete-vessel-70-tonnes-heavy.html)

Ancient Mariner
13th Jan 2018, 13:34
Well, yes, if it won't float.

Spain's £1.75bn submarine programme is torpedoed after realising near-complete vessel is 70 tonnes too heavy | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2336953/Spains-1-75bn-submarine-programme-torpedoed-realising-near-complete-vessel-70-tonnes-heavy.html)
We bought some frigates from Spain, they float, but that's about it.
Per

seafury45
13th Jan 2018, 13:35
Megan
"Rafael Bardaji, former director of the Office of Strategic Assessment at Spain's Defense Ministry said that officials will review options suggested by Electric Boat. But he said the preference has been to extend the length of the submarine’s hull, perhaps by 5 to 6 meters, to increase buoyancy."

If they extend the hull by 5 to 6 metres surely this adds even more weight to the sub?

Ancient Mariner
13th Jan 2018, 13:54
Megan
"Rafael Bardaji, former director of the Office of Strategic Assessment at Spain's Defense Ministry said that officials will review options suggested by Electric Boat. But he said the preference has been to extend the length of the submarine’s hull, perhaps by 5 to 6 meters, to increase buoyancy."

If they extend the hull by 5 to 6 metres surely this adds even more weight to the sub?
Sure, but it adds more buoyancy it not filled with heavy equipment.
Per

meadowrun
13th Jan 2018, 14:25
Yes, I'm sure they will fill it with patio furniture and use it a siesta retreat.
6 meters? That's a fair distance.
Might need to modify/replace bow planes, rudder, screw, propulsion, pumps.......

aox
13th Jan 2018, 14:57
But . . . but, if it's a submarine, does it matter if it sinks? :}

You might not get any laughs from Argentina at the moment.