PDA

View Full Version : vehicle access to UK ramps

avturboy
10th Jan 2018, 18:29
I've just been told about a change in procedure when taking a vehicle airside in the UK, not sure what I've been told is correct or if someone is pulling my leg.

When taking a vehicle airside it is normally driven into an airlock where the vehicle is searched and any people on board exit the vehicle and go through personal screening. What I've been told is that when the people exit the security office after screening they have to stand on 'circle' painted on the ground and wait there until the vehicle check is complete.

If any person/people steps off the circle before the vehicle check is complete the whole personal screening process has to be repeated. Can anyone confirm if this is correct, or something similar, or perhaps its is a local interpretation of rules. Anyone?

BHX001
10th Jan 2018, 20:49
Not heard of that at BHX, we just have to stand inside the security building where we get screened until they have finished searching the vehicle

Chidken Sangwich
10th Jan 2018, 21:09
Sounds like a bull**** new ruling that hasn’t been thought through that will cause massive delays to staff being able to get Airside thus causing delays to departures so it must be true.

5711N0205W
11th Jan 2018, 11:35
Sounds like Manchester...

Flightrider
11th Jan 2018, 11:42
This has all the hallmarks of an airport which has recently had a CAA security inspection and the inspector wasn't happy that the procedures to keep searched staff away from a vehicle mid-search were adequate. The airport has therefore gone off and dreamed up a new way of ensuring compliance which will meet the regulation. It will be a local rule and sounds like an OTT way of guaranteeing no future non-conformities in CAA audits from this issue. It's certainly not UK-wide so it is a local procedure but I am sure will be blamed on "CAA / DFT rules" even though it's the airport operator's means of complying with those rules which are at the heart of it. And yes, one airport group in particular is far more eager to do things like this than most others. Which airport was it?

Ex Cargo Clown
11th Jan 2018, 12:21
Another security sham. If you're coming from a secure area you are already airside, then go landside, but in the meantime could have stashed something in something that is "secure" and has been screened. Are DfT going to re-screen everything?

LTNman
11th Jan 2018, 12:50
It's all so much bull. I used to take a vehicle airside, it was so packed out that it would take an hour or more to empty it and then another hour to reload it. All that happened was that the rear doors were opened and because there was not a ton and a half of Semtex hanging out the back I was sent on my way. As for what was in my pockets, well that was another story.

Plane.Silly
11th Jan 2018, 13:46
er security sham. If you're coming from a secure area you are already airside, then go landside, but in the meantime could have stashed something in something that is "secure" and has been screened.

Question is, how would you get the 'stash' airside in the first place? at some point you have to go land -> air

Musket90
11th Jan 2018, 21:12
I think it's important to be aware that although Security Inspectors are "CAA" people it's the DfT and not CAA who formulate the rules. Presumably for cost saving purposes DfT Security personnel are now employed by CAA.