PDA

View Full Version : Well this is different..... Real pilots and if you like Spits

NutLoose
9th Jan 2018, 23:20
An excellent film of them

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nJQEFQTJzKo

meadowrun
10th Jan 2018, 01:12
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCfU5yBlw7U

Um... lifting...
10th Jan 2018, 02:01
"Nnnnnno, you're not. There are no real pilots anymore, just people in nifty uniforms..."

"Well, John, there are no real actors anymore, just people in nifty bellhop uniforms whose straitened circumstances have reduced them to doing cheesy 9 minute adverts for watch companies, the last 2 minutes of which are the credits."

Pontius Navigator
10th Jan 2018, 07:58
Would you buy a watch just spat on by someone on the minimum wage'

UniFoxOs
10th Jan 2018, 07:58
Anybody tell me which Mark are the planes in the first video?

Pontius Navigator
10th Jan 2018, 08:01
Just saw the Ju52 clip, I presume the pilot really was female and not some ex-BA pilot in drag?

treadigraph
10th Jan 2018, 08:14
Anybody tell me which Mark are the planes in the first video?

I think one's a MkIX, the other is a highback MkXIV.

funfly
10th Jan 2018, 08:45
What an absolute load of rubbish.

gruntie
10th Jan 2018, 09:03
They both appear to have fixed tail wheels: so the Griffon example must be an early Mk XII?
But, who knows whatís been done to them over the last 70-odd years.

johngreen
10th Jan 2018, 09:16
What an absolute load of rubbish.

FF, I think you are being far, far too generous in your appraisal....

treadigraph
10th Jan 2018, 10:11
They both appear to have fixed tail wheels: so the Griffon example must be an early Mk XII?
But, who knows whatís been done to them over the last 70-odd years.

It's probably SM832 which now sports a fixed tail wheel; The Fighter Collection's XIV also modified to a fixed tailwheel eventually - someone at TFC did tell me why but I can't recall!

There is only one surviving XII which is currently under restoration to fly at Sywell.

PS, it is a pretty rubbish film!

DaveReidUK
10th Jan 2018, 11:11
I love the fact that it took 3 people to write the screenplay ...

And JM must have needed the money. :O

Sallyann1234
10th Jan 2018, 11:38
I love the fact that it took 3 people to write the screenplay ...

And JM must have needed the money. :O
And probably a free watch.

Blacksheep
10th Jan 2018, 12:40
Surely no real pilot would be seen dead wearing such a small watch? :}

Fareastdriver
10th Jan 2018, 14:15
The last time I flew in formation with a JU 52 it looked like a corrugated iron shed in a gale.

chuks
10th Jan 2018, 14:30
Check out the Breitling print ads featuring John Travolta. In one of them he's posing in front of an X-15.

ShyTorque
10th Jan 2018, 16:35
I'd have told the butler to ram his watch where the sun doesn't shine.

Danny42C
10th Jan 2018, 17:32
The old Marlene Dietrich trick (but I do like this Tante Ju !) Fighter pilots of that era had to be constantly screwing their heads round to see what was coming up behind (if they wanted to live). To save abrading your neck, it was usual to loosen the collar and have something silk (a scarf, or preferably one of your popsie's silk stockings - laced with a drop of her scent - round your neck).

As for retrieving it in the air, this extract from a 2012 Post of mine (on "Pilot's Brevet") from Primary School in Florida may amuse:

..."One careless lad forgot to check that the Form 1 case flap was secure. He did a nice slow roll, and his Form 1 [the US equivalent of our Travelling F.700] was on its way down to the Everglades. Rolling out horrified, he spotted it fluttering down a hundred feet below him. Down he went (he had plenty of height), and was seen by reliable witnesses flying circles underneath it, trying to grab it each time round. It was hopeless, like airshow balloon-bursting, it looks easy - but isn't - to fly onto a small object in the air. As for managing that, and then catching the thing as it went past him at 70 mph, well...... But he deserved full marks for trying (the alligators got the Form 1 - I don't know what they made of it)"...

Rubbish ? I suppose so, "but beautifully cooked !"

Danny.

Um... lifting...
10th Jan 2018, 17:38
Check out the Breitling print ads featuring John Travolta. In one of them he's posing in front of an X-15.

Now what are you at, Sir?

Are we to draw the inference that the various Mustangs and biz jets and rocket planes were not taxied to their positions by the man in question?

Why, in one of those adverts he is wearing a flight suit, parachute harness and has a crash helmet tucked under his arm as he clearly is making his way from the aircraft. If that doesn't constitute verisimilitude, then I don't know what does. And in yet another he is seated on the wing of a P-51, quite clearly a bit fatigued from a long day. No man would sit on the wing of another man's aircraft. That's like wife-swapping and simply isn't done.

DaveReidUK
10th Jan 2018, 18:36
Getting back to the original topic, I thought the stocking scene was sheer artistry, though doubtless there will be the odd denier.

chuks
10th Jan 2018, 18:47
I call that sheer fantasy.

The best one ever was a Viceroy cigarette print advert, all these steely-eyed, very buff types playing "helicopter mountain rescue crew," with flight suits, ropes, carabiners ... the whole tutti frutti, including one helicopter in the background, but there was this one guy who had his David Clark H10-whatever headset around his neck upside-down.

Yes, it is true; there is always that one man who never gets the word!

DaveReidUK
10th Jan 2018, 21:39
Well I tried. :O

treadigraph
10th Jan 2018, 21:53
We haven't been stocking up on puns it seems. Garter get better at it.

fltlt
10th Jan 2018, 21:58
We haven't been stocking up on puns it seems. Garter get better at it.

The suspenders were killing me.

NutLoose
10th Jan 2018, 22:01
I posted it for the flying scenes, if you want a full blown Spitfire story, here it is, over 1 hour in length, crank up the sound and go full screen.

https://youtu.be/8JgyKO3WT28

G-CPTN
10th Jan 2018, 23:31
Mark Hanna?

Hydromet
11th Jan 2018, 06:11
doubtless there will be the odd denier.:ok:
I see what you did there.:D

Fareastdriver
11th Jan 2018, 06:42
I wish I had learned to fly around at 20,000 ft. and do aerobatics with my oxygen mask casually hanging to one side.

Blacksheep
11th Jan 2018, 12:27
That's like wife-swapping and simply isn't done.It used to be quite common in Ruislip in the 1970s ... :hmm:

Um... lifting...
11th Jan 2018, 12:36
Well, more correctly it's not spoken of. Bad form, what?

treadigraph
11th Jan 2018, 12:38
Mark Hanna?

Neil Williams if I'm not mistaken.

SASless
11th Jan 2018, 12:39
Think of the confusion if the Lady had shucked a set of Panty Hose instead of some stockings!:E

RAT 5
11th Jan 2018, 13:21
Instead of starry-eyed dreaming make a visit to Boultbee Flight Academ & tick off the bucket list with a trip to Chichester/Goodwood and have a taste of as close to the real thing as you'll get. I had a wonderful hour cruising at 500' round the Isle of Wight then climbing up higher for some aeros along the east coast. Worth every penny and probably cheaper than the watch.

About the film: the editing was atrocious and the whole thing sickly sweet and typically gooey. It would have been better as a cartoon.  

Boxkite Montgolfier
11th Jan 2018, 14:20
I notice they have placed an Ebay 'Stocking Snatcher Switch' on our hero's Joystick!

Um... lifting...
11th Jan 2018, 21:24
And JM must have needed the money.

I saw an interview with Patrick Stewart when he was asked what was the worst role he ever played.

He told a bit of a story about a bay window in his home the frame of which had rotted and needed replacing to the tune of £2000.

Before he started showering in the cascade of money that was Star Trek and was a fine stage actor with limited funds, his agent phoned with a small film role and said:

"You won't like this part, but I promised I'd tell you about it. It's not a great role."

"How much?"

"It's not great. About £2000."

"I'll do it."

FullOppositeRudder
11th Jan 2018, 21:36
the whole thing sickly sweet and typically gooeyI didn't think it was as good as that .... :(