PDA

View Full Version : EU infant seat belt regulations.

modelflyer
8th Jan 2018, 20:50
Last week my 1 year old granddaughter and her parents made flights to and from the UK to another EU country.

On the return journey my son was not handed the seatbelt to secure his daughter until the cabin crew had completed their safety briefeing. By this time the aircraft had taxiied quite a distance and the "fasten seatbelts" sign had been on for some time.

Is this permissible. Surely if the seatbelt sign is on all passengers must have their seatbelts fastened and secured, including any restraints required for infants.

Does anyone know if regulations cover this point and, if so, what they say?

(I am only asking so that if the rules require it my family can ask the cabin crew to provide the infant restraint in good time in future.)

Heathrow Harry
9th Jan 2018, 09:16
The cabin crew normally don't care - just try getting an infants lifejacket...............

businessair75
9th Jan 2018, 10:54
Ideally it should be given during/after boarding but occasionally this doesn’t happen for one of a number of reasons. If by the time the doors are closed and you haven’t been handed one, it’s perfectly fine to just politely ask a crew member..... they may be busy with something else and they may already know but it reminds them if not. Having the baby ready on parents lap also helps. Some parents make use of spare seats and makes things harder.

So ideally yes during/after boarding but aslong as they are secure when the cabin secure check is passed to the captain..... up until that point the cabin is unsecure.

businessair75
9th Jan 2018, 10:59
Ideally during/after boarding but occasionally this doesn’t happen for one or two reasons and yes, cabin crew do occasionally miss them out until they do their cabin secure check. Just politely remind them, chances are they will already know you are there.

The cabin is classed as unsecure until the cabin secure check is passed on (indeed, a number of passengers will likely be unsecured at this stage) and as long as the baby is secure by this point then they are set for take off.

ExXB
9th Jan 2018, 11:18
EU safety regulations are incorporated into national law by member states. You should check with the authorities of the aircraft register.

This may be challenging. I flew on an OE registered easyJet aircraft last Saturday from the U.K. to CH.

wiggy
9th Jan 2018, 12:12
https://www.easa.europa.eu/faq/19166 may be of interest.

So as ExXB has said like many things EASA/"EU" it's actually down to the regulations in the state of aircraft registry..

Pragmatically I'd recommend businessair75's advice...