PDA

View Full Version : Advises on taking a medical (EASA)

Veecharlie
8th Jan 2018, 16:21
Hey guys,

this is is my first post here. It might take quite some words...

I have been working several years in the aviation industry and I dream since I have memory to fly. I’m very healthy and always take extra care of myself. I’m thinking to take my class 2 medical and then upgrade to class 1. I don’t want a flying job as a career but more like complementing my passion and have fun flying different types of aircraft. I will probably take the EASA ATPL license (probably modular) as I think that the extra knowledge is vital for safety and maybe planning to do some side projects/opportunities. Once again, I’m not interested in a full time job, especially not an airline job.

First of all, I would like to be prepared on what to expect when taking this examinations and especially how can I prepare to make this examination as smooth as possible?

Next, I have had a heavy time in my past, where I burned myself out (I did NOT get depressed, fortunately, I just had too much in my plate for too many years) by working very hard and having some difficult situations to deal with, however I am fully healed and honestly even happy this happened (it teached me a lot about life). I now continue my normal activities. I’d like to know what to expect on this by the examinations? I personally think there will be quite some interest in the story, but I am confident I can defend and proove myself. Also, my medical records are all under database if in case of.

Thabks a lot.

Veecharlie
13th Feb 2018, 09:45
I can't believe there is still nobody that replied? Has nobody encountered burnouts through their pilot career? Weird, knowing how many issues there are with pilot fatigue/stress.

ersa
22nd Feb 2018, 06:44
Perhaps no one is giving you an answer, because your a bit vague on your burn out episode.

Answer the medical questions as best as you can , the physical will be fine depending on your age

gingernut
23rd Feb 2018, 19:05
The job of the aviation authorities, isn't actually to look after your health, but those who are under your charge.

Quite difficult to elicit what exactly is going on here. It's great to hear you've sorted everything out, but as others have said, I think you may have to be a little more specific.

Talking generically, most people who post similar posts on here are concerned about certain skeletons in their cupboard.

A history of mental health problems, self harm, dependence problems seem to be a real worry for some folk.

Obviously, the details have to be almost forensically unpicked, for the reasons I've outlined above.

I think the unpicking process, whilst a bit of a pain in the @rse, is probably fair, to both you and your crew/passengers.

On a hopeful note, I've been dipping in and out of this forum for yonks, and, there hase been a seismic shift in attitudes.

Good luck.