PDA

View Full Version : John Wegg has flown west

The AvgasDinosaur
7th Jan 2018, 15:53
Learned contributors,
I'm sorry to inform you all that aviation author, editor and historian John Wegg passed away on 4th January after lukeamia.
Perhaps best known for his Caravelle opus.
He will be missed by many.
Sadly I do not have any further details regarding funeral arrangements.
Be lucky
David ( The Avgasdinosaur )

tubby linton
7th Jan 2018, 16:38
Was he the editor of Airways magazine in the 1990s?

The AvgasDinosaur
7th Jan 2018, 16:46
Was he the editor of Airways magazine in the 1990s?
Tubby,
Yes that was one of his many remarkable achievements.
Be lucky
David

1970s Spotter
7th Jan 2018, 19:44
John had a wealth of knowledge. He will be sadly missed by many in the aviation enthusiasts community.

tonytales
8th Jan 2018, 00:36
I wrote the column Tales of the Ramp for Airways Magazine and benefitted from John Wegg's editing and encouragement. My sincerest condolences to his family. He will be missed.
Tony Tales -( Tony Vasko)

Philthy
8th Jan 2018, 01:34
John published a couple of articles of mine in 'Airways' some years back. He was always terrific to deal with. We also shared a common background in ATC. Vale John...

G-ARZG
9th Jan 2018, 11:55
Somewhere around here is my copy of John Wegg's 'Finnair, the art of flying since 1923'...a fine volume !

atb1943
15th Jan 2018, 20:23
Very sorry to learn of John's passing. I recall visiting British Eagle in the early sixties with John and Bob Ruffle, bumping into Dave Cotterell while we were there. Bob and John were together at LATCC, John going on to Lufthansa and Finnair while Bob progressed to PanAm, Dan-Air, Eurocontrol and Shoreham. Dave arranged my interview for a job with Eagle some years later.
R.I.P. John

kafb1963
21st Jan 2018, 22:33
Very sorry to hear the news! About 20 years ago I worked with Ron Davies & John Wegg on the Delta history book.
This was before the days of the internet, so many conversations via the phone out to the Northwest, and lots of FedEx packages.
Really enjoyed working with both of them. There was even some talk about updating the Delta Book, John said he would be glad to be the editor again.
Purchased many negatives from John over the years, last spoke to him sometime last year when he came back to the states to visit his daughter.
Another aviation history great gone.