PDA

View Full Version : Logging aborted flight time.

FlyingApe
7th Jan 2018, 13:06
Help please.

UK Airline pilots logbook entry: If you taxi for purpose of taking off on an IFR flight, but have a tech problem (brake overheat) and returned to stand, do you log the time in your personal logbook, or can you disregard it?

This is important both ways.

1) I don't want to log time I'm not entitled to.

2) For FTL rules, I don't want to avoid log time I should !

It is down to interpretation of the rules;

However, my interpretation is that I taxied for the "PURPOSE" of making a flight iaw. all normal procedures, therefore I should log the time?

Qualified opinions please, (along with a source if possible) for any "official" clarification. Eg case law, CAA clarification, etc.

Many thanks in advance if you can help

eckhard
7th Jan 2018, 13:54
How many times will this happen during ones career? In 45 years and 25,000 hrs I can remember two or three times, which would total perhaps 1hr 30mins. You must be either desperate for hours or working right up to the limits (or both!) if this really matters to you.

I can’t see a problem with logging it, as the definition of ‘flight’ appears to have been satisfied. On the other hand, if you didn’t log it I can’t see any reasonable person getting too upset, so it’s up to your interpretation and whether or not you want the hours/duty times.

BluSdUp
7th Jan 2018, 14:59
Dear Ape
No log entry allowed for the simple reason You did not get airborne.
FTL apply until company dismisses you for the day!
Done this a few times.

RTN11
7th Jan 2018, 15:26
I agree with this interpretation, surely it wouldn't count as a sector for FTLs, as you didn't go anywhere.

Otherwise engine runs for engineering purposes would count too.

I wouldn't put anything in my flying logbook, and only make a tech log entry to close the flight I had opened as did not fly, and correct for the fuel burnt.

FlyingApe
7th Jan 2018, 16:20
No, I don't need the hours.. could do with less !

Yes, these days companies regularly roster right to the limits, ...and beyond if they think they can get away with it.

No, engine runs would not count, as there was never an intention to fly. We dispatched,as stated, in full compliance with all regulations... I.e security, search,loadsheets, IFR clearance etc.

The reason I posedthe question in the first place, is that I noticed on AIMS (our company wide operational flight management computer system- as used by many different operators) , they have recorded the off blocks, on blocks time against it.....which got me thinking. Maybe thats dangerous these days? :\

Anyway, that is why I asked for sources.

Thanks.