PDA

View Full Version : A quick Q if I may....

Rossian
6th Jan 2018, 16:44
if one has to take a wheelchair or a walking aid (rollator?) on a flight does it count as part of one's checked baggage allowance?

Johnny F@rt Pants
6th Jan 2018, 18:49
I would hope not, some weigh circa 100kgs. It doesn’t at the airline that I work for, howeverall airlines have their own rules so you would be best asking them, they will also need prior notification of the device to complete the pre flight requirements.

Rossian
6th Jan 2018, 23:01
.....the sort of thing I'm looking at is around 7kgs. I am just curious if that sort of thing is exempt.

PAXboy
6th Jan 2018, 23:28
Rossian. The Web site of the airline you are planning to use? We all know that airlines don't like talking on the phone but an email reply has the advantage that it can be printed and carried with you.

ExSp33db1rd
7th Jan 2018, 05:53
Crutches don't count as offensive weapons, either, and guarantee priority boarding with or without obvious disability. When I no longer needed them I considered using them all the time, even renting them out !

Johnny F@rt Pants
7th Jan 2018, 10:51
I don’t believe either item you describe will be included in ones allowance, however it will be airline dependent, so you will need to contact your airline for a definitive answer.

ExXB
7th Jan 2018, 13:29
See People with Reduced Mobility Travel Rights (http://reducedmobility.eu/people-with-reduced-mobility-travel-rights.html#)

Edited to add: http://reducedmobility.eu/20130621324/The-News/wheelchair-air-travel-tips-and-tricks-to-get-it-right.html

Airline services

European legislation applies to all flights departing from any airport inside the European Union, and to incoming flightsOn board wheelchair operated by European airlines only. By example, all flights leaving London Heathrow to Singapore fall under the covenant of EC1107/2006, but only flights operated by British Airways and Virgin Atlantic have to comply with EU law when traveling from Singapore to London Heathrow.

Airlines must allow wheelchair passengers the transport of two items of mobility equipment free of charge. There are no weight restrictions or limitations for mobility equipment.

EU law requires cabin crew to provide passengers with special needs appropriate assistance in moving from their seat to toilet facilities when needed. However, airlines are not required to have an on board wheelchair to perform this task. The law recommends, but does not require, airlines to inform passengers with reduced mobility of the unavailability of on board wheelchairs.

Passengers who require assistance eating, toileting, or cannot make their own way to an emergency exit are obligated to travel with a companion. Airlines are recommended, but not required, to make “all reasonable efforts” to seat passenger with reduced mobility next to their traveling companion. Exceptions to this recommendation can be made for safety requirements only.Differences Between U.S. and EU legislation

There are significant differences between U.S. and European legislation.

US legislation assigns airlines full responsibility for provision of services to passengers with special needs; EU legislation shares responsibility between airports and airlines, assigning the vast majority of services to airports.

Unlike EU legislation that does not apply to flights to the European Union operated by non EU airlines, U.S. legislation CFR 14 Part 382 applies to all flights from and to the United States, regardless of the nationality of the airline.

People traveling with their own wheelchair from and to the United States are not required to pre-notify their airline. However, especially when traveling from America to Europe, this is highly recommendable to avoid significant delays with assistance at EU airports.

U.S. law requires airlines to provide adjoining seating for a person assisting a passenger with severe impairment, whereas EU legislation simply recommends air carriers to make all reasonable efforts.

American legislation states that where the passenger disagrees with the need for an assistant the airline cannot charge for their seat. There is no such provision in EU law.

U.S. law requires airlines to provide priority storage and carriage of manual foldable wheelchairs in the aircraft cabin. There is no such requirement in European legislation. Air France is one of the few EU carriers which offers storage and carriage of manual foldable wheelchairs in the aircraft cabin.

American law requires airlines to have on board wheelchairs to facilitate movement inside the cabin and that at least 50% of all aisle seats are equipped with movable armrests, whereas there are no such requirements in European legislation.

EU law limits maximum compensation for damaged mobility equipment to the limit set forth by the Montreal Convention, currently 1,131 SDR (approximately £1,140/$1,760). U.S. legislation waives this limit for domestic flights only.

Rossian
7th Jan 2018, 18:47
...and the general concensus seems to that it does not impinge on checked baggage allowance. I'll be contacting Easy and Tui during the week to clarify their individual positions.