PDA

View Full Version : B2 Bomber over Rosebowl

CONSO
6th Jan 2018, 15:35
And it was NOT photoshopped !

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/01/how-to-take-a-picture-of-the-stealth-bomber-over-the-rose-bowl/549545/

T
he first thought that comes to mind staring at the photograph above is: This has got to be fake. The B-2 stealth bomber looks practically pasted onto the field. The flag is unfurled just so. The angle feels almost impossible, shot directly down from above.
And yet, it’s real, the product of lots of planning, some tricky flying, and the luck of the moment. The photographer, Mark Holtzman, has been flying his Cessna 206 around taking aerial images for years, since before the digital-photography days, and he’s developed his technique for just this sort of shot.
“The plane is my tripod, and it is a moving tripod,” he told me. In fact, the way he took this photograph was literally half-hanging out the window of his plane, his Canon 5D Mark III fitted with a 70–200 mm lens, working the rudder pedals on his craft to put himself in position to fly right over the bomber, as it approached at 200 miles per hour from the opposite direction.

Goes on

riff_raff
7th Jan 2018, 07:27
A few years back i was at a MLB playoff game at Angel Stadium. Just prior to the game a C-17 performed a low altitude flyover at very low speed with flaps extended and engines roaring. The noise was so loud it caused hundreds of car alarms in the surrounding parking lot to simultaneously go off. It was quite amusing.

tdracer
7th Jan 2018, 07:51
Back in my college days, I was a tuba player in the University of Washington Marching Band. I don't know for sure if he was the absolute first, but if our band director - Bill Bissell (better known as "Mr. B") wasn't the first, he was certainly an early adopter of using a massive US Flag during the pre-game playing of the national anthem. :ok:
For a couple seasons, the huge flag we used was wool, and we weren't allowed to get it wet (and in Seattle, game day rain wasn't exactly uncommon). :rolleyes:
So we practiced two pre-game shows - one with the huge US flag, one without. Then on morning of the game the decision was made if we'd use the flag depending on the weather. Eventually Mr. B convinced an alumni group to finance a new nylon flag that we could use regardless of the weather. In the 1982 Rose Bowl, the UW was the home team and we did the pre-game show with that massive American flag - it was beautiful. :ok:
Mr. B passed away about 15 years ago, but now every time I watch a pre-game show with a massive US flag I smile and thing fondly of Mr. B.
I like to think that somewhere Mr. B is smiling too.