PDA

View Full Version : American say goodbye to BHX

Ian Farquharson
19th Jul 2002, 20:02
It has been announced today that American Airlines will end their daily BHX-ORD service in October, blaming lack of business pax.
They have operated the route since May 1995 and carried over 720,000 pax on the route.

All this when the long awaited Government report due to be published next week is likely to recomend a new runway at BHX to meet future demand.

A sad day at BHX.

Ian

MarkD
19th Jul 2002, 22:36
ORD is served via DUB [EI] with quite short turn around for the BHX onward. Certainly in the current economic climate I dare say the A330s would be glad of the custom.

jocko0102
20th Jul 2002, 11:17
Considering the catchment area around BHX the airport has never done well at keeping or starting US services.
The question has to be asked does the airport need a new runway?

canberra
20th Jul 2002, 12:13
the reason why bhx hasnt done well with north american traffic is v simple, its too close to london!

Hotel Tango
20th Jul 2002, 19:34
BA stopped some years ago citing the same reason. I can't understand why local area Business pax would today prefer to drive to, and fly from, LHR when it's a much easier process out of Brum. I think the truth might be that many UK firms don't encourage their staff to fly on "targeted" U.S. airlines such as AAL and UAL. A British operator with a code sharing agreement for onward U.S. connections would perhaps do better. Can an A330 fly a full payload to ORD from BHX's runway? If so, perhaps BMI can put one of their spare ones to work.

Hand Solo
22nd Jul 2002, 00:15
Unfortunately the passenger-centric view is winning again. My sources say the AA service always struggled to make ends meet in terms of passenger loads, but it made a packet on regular cargo shipments. When Sept 11th interrupted the service the cargo contracts went down the tubes and they havn't come back. This is exactly what happened to the BA service to New York. On a 767 with full holds it made a packet, but when they subbed it to a 757 it couldn't carry any freight and made a loss. Still, there's always Continental on a 757!

atco-matic
25th Jul 2002, 01:02
Yes and apparrently (so says my mate who works in marketing at Brum airport) Continental are making a right success of Birmingham Newark! So if they can do it, why can't anybody else?????

RED WINGS
25th Jul 2002, 06:32
It seems yet again mass misinformation

AAL flights at BHX are operating at capacity and have been since its re instatement a couple of months ago

Rumour has it at bhx that BMA are going to operate the route that is still owned by BA to JFK alongside the other flights available to USA from bhx

American
Continental
Uzbekistan
All regular scheduled services

along side regular charter flights mainly to sfb with the bucket and spade guys

The only thing that has ever held birmingham back is as usual the selfish greedy southerners who insist we use the London airports the main two in my opinion on recent trips have been dirty filthy holes that make Kabul airport look favourable, and extreamly backward when compared with ema bhx and man.

Role on expansion and lets give the rest of the country the feedom to air travel without having to be trapped on the f@$^ng M25 for half the trip!!!

Caslance
25th Jul 2002, 06:56
"AAL flights at BHX are operating at capacity and have been since its re instatement a couple of months ago."

Then why are they discontinuing the service? IF the route's running at capacity then American must be making money on it - the prime objective of any business, I would have thought.

Or are you saying that they aren't pulling out of BHX after all?

Something doesn't add up, I'm afraid.

I'm afraid that if you think for a moment that BA will cheerfully hand over the BHX-JFK route to BMA without an all-out cat-fight, then you're in for a bit of a disappointment.

I think it's a shame, anyway.

jocko0102
25th Jul 2002, 09:19
If Continental are only using a 757 on the Newark service why would BMA put a 330 on the route to JFK and expect to make money?
I do agree that the it is a disgrace that millions are forced through London airports for many flights when im sure that with proper help and attitude changes many of those punters could fly from the "regions" for a lot of the flights.

Ian Farquharson
25th Jul 2002, 12:05
With regard AA terminating the route, AA are loosing money so looking to cut costs, where are they going to axe ?, LHR - no for obvious reasons, MAN - no because it is a long established route and Bmi (Star Alliance) compete on it, BHX - yes, stuck in the middle, can easily transfer pax to MAN & LHR.

It would be nice if Mr Bishop would put his spare A330 on the route, ready made market plus they already fly to ORD from MAN, this would be a better idea than JFK.

Hopefully CO will upgrade the EWR route soon, BHX can support long haul services, take Emirates for example, they are again today operating an additional service by A330 to DXB (570 seats each way),this route has carried more pax most months than the LGW service, so the demand is there.

It is all down to presueding punters to use their local airport instead of London & Manchester.

Ian

Confirmed Must Ride
25th Jul 2002, 12:36
No plans from CO to upgrade the 757. Losing money on the route but probably want to stick it out and mop up what is being left behind by AA.

CO have previously upgraded to DC10 on this route but post 911 yield does not warrant it.