PDA

View Full Version : Job prospects for a South African

blueline69
19th Jul 2002, 19:54
Greetings !! Would like to find out what the job prospects for a South African pilot would be if he was to come over to the USA. How would I go to work , which outfitts are there that do ALTP ratings? I hold a SA ALTP with some 2600hrs and are BE 1900 P1 rated. A greencard is not a problem. Any info or contact details would be great. :D

a pilot
3rd Aug 2002, 05:15
whats altp? is that atp?post also on www.flightinfo.com www.ilsapproach.com remember that the locals can be very hostile to any outsider,many are still out of jobs,even before 911,the answers may not be very polite but give it a shot...

kwaiyai
17th Aug 2002, 17:17
Hi,
I was told that a green card was not enough to work in USA now and that you needed full US Citizenship. Any one clarify this. I am an FAA ATP holder living in UK who would like the opportunity to work in US when things improve on the job front (I certainly dont wont to pinch any locals job)
Thanks for advice in advance:confused:

'%MAC'
17th Aug 2002, 17:32
Job prospects are looking very good in the US right now, that is for qualified pilots. The people complaining are the people on furlough who do not want to give up their seniority number or the kids who don’t have the relevant experience. Check out the issue concerning citizenship vs. resident alien status for flying, that is your largest hurdle. But I believe you’re okay. Many 1900 operators are hiring, just takes a little research. Be fast, the market will soon be flooded with USAir, USAir Express, and possibly United furloughees.

kwaiyai
17th Aug 2002, 19:21
Thanks for advice. I'll check that out ASAP.
Regards:)

Schweet
24th Aug 2002, 07:05
Hey blueline.

You sound just like me. Also from SA with SA ATP and some 1900 time with the right to live and work in the US. Done a little looking around and it seems the best place to do an ATP is ATPinc. You can get hold of them at www.allatps.com. About US$1300 for the ATP + FEX writtens and ATP Rating.

Unfortunately things seem to be going from bad to worse job wise in the States. My personal opinion is that this is as bad as it will get but it will take a year or to before things start coming right again. I also fully understand why the guys and girls over there are so protective of the few jobs that are going. I would feel exactly the same.

Do you have any idea what the chances are of getting a job without a degree?

Tailwinds

Schweet

rick1128
25th Aug 2002, 01:50
You don't have to be a citizen, but you do have to have the right to live and work in the US (aka green card). However, the new security rules will make hiring many if not most non-citizens, difficult if not impossible. The new background checks including criminal background checks will be required. New badging requirements, etc.

There is a demand for experienced pilots still. However, forloughed pilots are being turned away for the most part. It is getting too expensive to hire someone unless you keep them awhile.

Good luck.

togabutton
29th Aug 2002, 22:52
Hey Former SA 1900 pilots. I can relate. I have been here (in the USA) almost 2 months. I also flew 1900s and then B737s before my recent move.

I did my ATP written with www.allatps.com and it was a walk in the park compared with our SA ATP subjects. I then did a B737 type rating and got my FAA ATP at the same time with a great company called HPA. I did have some B737 time in the bag already having flown B737-200s for a year in SA. I have taken a leap of faith. It is a bad time to be here as far as airlines go, but I want to be perfectly positioned when the market turns. I am not flying a jet anymore, but I landed a job flying a brand new van with all the toys. Its single engine turbine, but it pays reasonably until something else comes along.

I miss flying B737s, but I love the USA. Its not SA and I miss the good that SA has to offer, but there are opportunities here if you work at it. Like me I guess you have to decide pretty soon, because you only have a limited period to use your green card and you need to spend a certain amount of time in the USA each year to keep it. Generally most people here have been good to me - have not come here to steal jobs either. I am simply using a facility that I applied for and was granted (the green card).

Any of you SA green card pilots are welcome to mail me at [email protected]
I am not an expert, but the advice is free. I am sure that many of your Qs will be the same ones I had and your decisions just as difficult.:)