PDA

View Full Version : About to Embark in Aviation

ntj
4th Jan 2018, 01:58
Hi, I've just finished my HSC in Australia and been offered a spot on an Aviation Degree (pilot). I'm excited and daunted by the complexities of pursuing this career. One of my first issues is my height. I'm 5'0" and missed out on progressing with the ADF because of this. I've been doing some research and it appears that airlines like BA and Cathay have height restrictions set at 5'2".

From the collective experience of this forum, is my height going to seriously limit my options in the future to progress a career with a major carrier?

Appreciate any feedback and I'll be back with more questions...

redsnail
4th Jan 2018, 21:08
Find out if it will prevent you from holding a Class 1 medical.
Then find out what the "end game" employers will accept. Qantas, Qantaslink, Alliance, JetGo, Cobham etc.

+TSRA
5th Jan 2018, 00:28
Height has no bearing on a Medical from the regulator, considering you can still be growing when you start your training. Some jurisdictions do focus on height to weight more than others, but that’s really only where height comes in to play.

However, many airlines do list a minimum (or even maximum) height, and you definitely need to know this before going down the path - you’d hate to put out all the money to find out your desired career path was a no go from the start. It should not limit your career per se, but it may limit some options throughout your career (company wise).

The thinking is that pilots below a certain height will be unable to reach critical switches in the cockpit, while above a certain height they will simply not fit in the seat - although maximum height is more a concern for smaller aircraft (Learjets, etc.) than transport category aircraft.

I know lots of pilots who are in the 5’ to 5’5” range and are happily employed with airlines. Some have applied to the likes of Cathay and got the “too short” notice, while others never cared for that type of flying. I know one or two shorter pilots that do have to sit on a pillow with the seat as far up and as close to the controls as they’ll go, and it certainly looks like a struggle, but nothing I’ve ever been concerned with; but then, I don’t make those choices at my airline.

ntj
5th Jan 2018, 02:35
Thanks for the replies...I guess I have figured that there will be limitations on options...

ntj
5th Jan 2018, 02:45
Hi there. This may have been discussed elsewhere but I couldn't find it through the search options. As per my earlier post, I have just completed HSC in Australia and got an offer for a Bachelor of Aviation. We have have been discussing this with a pilot friend who has suggested considering flying school. I'm keen to go to university; however my parents are suggesting I seriously consider flying schools at it may be quicker and potential cheaper.

I have done some research and basically the cost of the aviation training through the flying school is on a par with what it will cost me on the aviation degree. The extra cost with university is the actual university degree, however there is the added benefit of the university's association with Qantaslink.

Any thoughts, input on my decision making process would be appreciated.

jonkster
5th Jan 2018, 04:42
ntj, I am very biased so be aware of that when you read my 2c worth... ;)

One question worth asking is, what is your motivation in becoming a pilot?

Do you want to learn to fly because you want to be an airline pilot? or
Do you want to be an airline pilot because it means you get paid to fly aeroplanes?

That probably didn't out quite right but what I am getting at is, are you passionate about aviation and aeroplanes and wanting to get a job flying them is part of that passion?

Or are you after an interesting career and being a pilot seems to be an interesting path to choose?

Both are valid motivations and can lead to a rewarding professional future in aviation.

If you are in it more for the love of flying, my suggestion would be try doing a TIF (trial instructional flight) at a good flying school that is passionate about flying.

If you are looking at this more as an interesting profession rather than a real passion, try the uni course.

One of the advantages of the uni course include having a qualification that you can potentially fall back on if the flying doesn't pan out as expected. I understand some students in the uni course do not go on to finish the flying component but concentrate on the other parts as they find the flying isn't for them.

One of the advantages of the flying school route is it can nuture your passion and open your eyes to more careers as a pilot than just being an "airline pilot" (although doesn't rule that path out either - just it may take a bit longer and often is not quite as straight a journey).

Most schools offer a discounted TIF that will get you hands on the controls and can help you decide if flying really is for you and also if that school is for you.

Even if you don't want to go the school route, worth looking at doing a TIF anyway - it may make you think that flying is not actually what you thought it would be - better to find that out early rather than invest in a field of study that isn't going to be what you are after.

Also be aware - many people think pilot means "airline pilot". There are more pilot jobs than just airline pilot. They often aren't as well paid or glamorous but can be richly rewarding and satisfying in other ways.

Hopefully someone will post something advocating more on the uni path for balance as I think it is a valid option too but I would tend to push you more to the flying school path if you want to get into aviation because you are really drawn to flying (providing of course you pick a good school that has a passion for encouraging flying).

Like I said - I am biased - good to hear from those with alternative views though.

parkfell
5th Jan 2018, 10:27
ntj

Would you say that you have a "passion about flying" (plane crazy ~ as it was once explained to me) and if so, from what age?

If you have not flown in a light aircraft before, a trial flight on a nice day is an important first step. Your reaction to this experience is important.

Then obtain your class one medical.

As to size, this may well be a limiting factor with a number of carriers.

And finally remember ~ a journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step.