PDA

View Full Version : Peter Furlong

aeromariner
3rd Jan 2018, 06:31
Sadly I have to note the passing of Peter Furlong just before Xmas. As well as the driving force behind GA200 and GA8, Peter was a skilled aerobatic pilot, and home builder (Pitts and Wittman tailwind). He had been battling Parkinsons for many years.

zzuf
3rd Jan 2018, 06:54
Bugga.
Many years ago I took him for some circuits in a Duke - said he had never flown a twin.
Two normal circuits then asymmetric - no problem.
Good times at Gippy with the Fatman.
RIP

LeadSled
3rd Jan 2018, 07:07
One of the good guys, and a sign of time passing.

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth, And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings; Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth. Of sun-split clouds, --and done a hundred things.

For the last time.

Tootle pip!!

TBM-Legend
3rd Jan 2018, 10:44
Sorry to hear this news. One of the good guys gone...RIP Pete

aeromariner
3rd Jan 2018, 22:51
I've often thought of trying to get the 7 years of GA8 down on paper. Maybe start with the Undercarriage - Peter owned a comanche and I owned a cherokee, so we could agree on the undercarriage - NO OLEOs. The mains he left mostly to me mainly because of the centre carrythrough box and the design goal to have them come off if the aeroplane hit something solid during takeoff, but he and Roly (his father) bent the legs into shape with a comealong and the biggest fire on the end of a gas axe I've ever seen. I thought getting the correct camber would be a bit of hit and miss, but Peter got the angle on the welded axle right first time. To a certain degree it was typical of the aeroplane - everything we thought would be hard was OK - Unfortunately the opposite also applied. At the time of the Duke he must have been flying the P51 both "interesting" aeroplanes.

triadic
4th Jan 2018, 05:27
Very sad to hear of Peter's passing. I remember some good times at the Valley and some outstanding flying days there. He was a top LAME and along with Brownee those days in the 70's at LTV were outstanding. RIP mate.

john_tullamarine
4th Jan 2018, 07:07
Another sad day. Had a lot to do with Peter, Brownie, et al in the early days. Fine chaps.

HarleyD
4th Jan 2018, 09:39
Farewell Petey boy. Australian aviation has lost a person who's contribution is as immense as it is also overlooked by most. We are poorer for his passing, but he is at rest finally.

Deeply missed by those who worked with him but not well known in an industry that benefits from his drive and enginuity on a daily basis. His legacy is a fleet of aircraft, over 300, flying in close to 40 countries around the world.

The motivating force behind the the A9 modified Pawnee, the GA200 in several variants, the GA8 Airvan, turbo charged TC 320 Airvan and conceptual designer of the GA10 Turbine Airvan he was also responsible for many innovative solutions incorporated in many other GA (general aviation, not Gippsland Aeronautics that is) types.

So much more he could have done given the opportunity, and not taken so soon.

Deepest sympathy to his family to whom he was a very special husband and father.

Cheers Pete, fly free and keep sketching in those exercise books!

HD

Highwinghunch
4th Jan 2018, 22:26
VALE Peter Furlong
I first met Peter when we were both learning to fly and subsequently followed his achievements as a friend and aviation colleague. It was a cruel twist of fate that cut short the career of an outstanding aviator/mechanic/businessman. His insights of anything associated with aviation were exceptional and almost always correct. He had an unpretentious manner and would talk to anyone with an interest in aviation. My sincere condolences to his long suffering family.

Toruk Macto
5th Jan 2018, 00:22
Made a young pilot feel part of the community .
In the early days he’d explain the finer points of a 172’s alternator and latter giving some TLC to a old Navajo I was trying to get back in the air all over a cup of tea he made .
Thanks again and RIP .

stressmerchant
7th Jan 2018, 05:51
I'm saddened to hear of his passing. I only met him a few times, but I always enjoyed chatting to him about the various aircraft designs. Without doubt an outstanding contributor to Australian aviation, and a great character.

flywatcher
8th Jan 2018, 04:32
Remember Peter, and Brownie from the late 60's through to early eighties, a really great person who could not do too much for you. Remember first meeting him with my first aircraft, a Tri.Pacer, I believe parts if not all of it are still in the old hangar somewhere and he could not do enough to help me keep it flying. He will be long remembered.