PDA

View Full Version : Buccaneer Lights

JSF-TC
1st Jan 2018, 16:58
Does anyone have any details on the external lights used by the Buccaneer, specifically the later S2 models with the 2 lights on the top of the tailplane cap?

From what I have found, there appears to be forward and aft facing wingtip nav lights (red/ green), a lower aft facing light (white?) below the speedbrake and 2 lights on top of the fin cap, the top one white, but I can't determine the colour of the lower fin cap light.

It appears that the RAF Buccs also used a landing light on the nose gear.

Did the Bucc also have the red rotating beacon and/ or strobe lights - if so, where were they mounted.

Many thanks

Paul

Timelord
1st Jan 2018, 19:07
I think that the aft facing lights on the trailing edges of the wingtips and at the rear of the fin top were blue formation lights. Night, low level, close formation over the sea-never to be forgotten!

Fareastdriver
1st Jan 2018, 19:37
Sounds right. The Puma had blue formation lights on the top of the sponsons.

Well, they did. Probably decided it was too dangerous for two Pumas to fly that close together at night.

Herod
1st Jan 2018, 19:52
It's too dangerous for two Pumas to fly close together anyway. Suggest 10km standard spacing. ;)

Treble one
1st Jan 2018, 20:08
Maybe some visual clues here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz3ECzpu6CQ

NutLoose
2nd Jan 2018, 00:55
I have photos of the main strobes being red and others having white fitted, the guys that work on the runners at Bruntingthorpe can be found here

https://forum.keypublishing.com/forumdisplay.php?4-Historic-Aviation

if you register they should help you out more.

Alber Ratman
2nd Jan 2018, 10:01
Think the Hella "Strobe" mod replacing the rotating anti col beacons was a Buccaneer modification and the later aircraft in service did have it embodied. I know the TBAG 16 Sqn kite at Brunty is different to XX900 that has the other mod state of anti cols (cannot remember which one has what).

Fareastdriver
2nd Jan 2018, 11:16
Did a trial once with Pumas at night when people were prepared to find out things. The trick was to find out whether one could fly in formation at night with CavNav goggles on.

I flew as No2 and the first thing we did was turn off the navigation lights because they blinded me so we stuck to the blue formation lights.

They were there just for decoration. There was no trouble formatting on the glare from the engine turbines and the glow from the gearboxes.

The didn't continue with it. Apparently the co-pilot in No 1 was having kittens.

Ogre
4th Jan 2018, 05:18
Think the Hella "Strobe" mod replacing the rotating anti col beacons was a Buccaneer modification and the later aircraft in service did have it embodied. I know the TBAG 16 Sqn kite at Brunty is different to XX900 that has the other mod state of anti cols (cannot remember which one has what).

from dim distant memory, the upper anti-col was fitted on the spine panel between the two comms antennas, and the lower anti-col was mounted on the rear avionics bay door.

The strobes could shine white or red depending on the switch selection, and there were a number of variations on marshalling hand signals to indicate that the pilot has switched to white whilst still in the HAS and the groundcrew were getting flash burns.

And yes there was a nose leg light. As for the formation lights, again memory seems to indicate that the ones on the fin and airbrake were blue, and the rear of the wingtips could have been white lower half and blue upper half. Either way they always seemed to blow after take off as they worked perfectly when they were checked before flight.....

Cue the discussion around lights with "bulbs" or "filaments"......:E

overstress
4th Jan 2018, 17:53
Light fittings have lamps, do they not? When the lamp fails, the operation of replacing it is known as "re-lamping". :-)