PDA

View Full Version : Cessna 208 Caravan (w 10 foreign pax) crashes in Costa Rica, killing 12

Passenger 389
31st Dec 2017, 22:35
Twelve people have been killed in a plane crash in western Costa Rica, officials say.

The victims were 10 foreign passengers, including five members of a single family, and the Costa Rican pilot and co-pilot, local media say.

The Nature Air single-propeller Cessna 208 Caravan was travelling from the capital San José to the resort of Punta Islita, the CRhoy website reported.

There were no survivors. It was unclear what caused the crash.

The incident happened in a mountainous area near Bejuco in Guanacaste province.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-42531482

Melax
31st Dec 2017, 22:42
Sadly, it seems that 5 passengers are related...

More info:

https://news.co.cr/10-tourists-killed-light-aircraft-crash-costa-rica/69546/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5225141/Plane-10-tourists-board-crashes-Costa-Rica.html

TampaSLF
1st Jan 2018, 20:53
Bellair is little town on the Gulf of Mexico near St. Petersburg. We lost a pair of Dr.s and their by all accounts wonderful teens to this crash.
I am rare poster so I couldn't set a direct link.
tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/accidents/Belleair-family-of-four-among-10-Americans-killed-in-Costa-Rica-plane-crash_164099185

Maoraigh1
1st Jan 2018, 21:51
Belleair residents among 10 Americans killed in Costa Rica plane crash | tbo.com (http://www.tampatrib.com/news/world/Belleair-residents-among-10-Americans-killed-in-Costa-Rica-plane-crash_164091881)

HEMS driver
1st Jan 2018, 23:16
Costa Rica has moved to "North America?"

PPRuNe Towers
1st Jan 2018, 23:22
It's where all 10 passengers were from.

Rob

TowerDog
2nd Jan 2018, 00:25
I worked for a company that got the first Caravan, back in 1984 or 85,
It also crashed and killed everybody after take off.
The cause, if memory serves me correct, was a fuel valve in the closed position.
Motor stopped and the pilot stalled out the plane and spun in. :(

2016parks
2nd Jan 2018, 16:43
CBS news is reporting that the plane was departing from the small town of Punta Islita. Before picking up its passengers at that airport, the Cessna Grand Caravan had earlier attempted to land just before 11:00 a.m., but winds of more than 28 mph were too strong. The plane was forced to land and wait at a nearby airport before successfully attempting the Punta Islita landing a second time. Thirty minutes later, the plane departed and crashed.

gordon field
2nd Jan 2018, 19:08
I worked for a company that got the first Caravan, back in 1984 or 85,
It also crashed and killed everybody after take off.
The cause, if memory serves me correct, was a fuel valve in the closed position.
Motor stopped and the pilot stalled out the plane and spun in. :(

Nothing to do with the fuel valve being in the OFF position. It was a para plane and they had refuelled it with contaminated old fuel from barrels, the fuel was full of algae. ASN could be your friend.

TowerDog
3rd Jan 2018, 00:01
Nothing to do with the fuel valve being in the OFF position. It was a para plane and they had refuelled it with contaminated old fuel from barrels, the fuel was full of algae. ASN could be your friend.

Not sure what you are talking about:confused:

The Caravan my company operated crashed after take off due to a fuel valve being in the off position.
It was not a para plane, but rather an Air Taxi in Bethel Alaska.

https://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19851101-0

ASN could be your friend.

:ooh: :rolleyes:

evansb
4th Jan 2018, 14:53
Re: HEMS driver comment

The southern North American continent is composed of two regions. These are Central America and the Caribbean. ... In contrast to the common definition of "North America", that which encompasses the whole continent, the term "North America" is also used to refer to Canada, Mexico, the United States, and Greenland.

A Squared
5th Jan 2018, 07:07
Re: HEMS driver comment

The southern North American continent is composed of two regions. These are Central America and the Caribbean. ... In contrast to the common definition of "North America", that which encompasses the whole continent, the term "North America" is also used to refer to Canada, Mexico, the United States, and Greenland.

Ummm, yeah, all that is true, but PPrune uses a unique definition of "North America". On PPrune, "North America" means United States of America. Don't believe me? Check it out. Take a look at the forum index: You have a "North America" forum, which taken by itself is ambiguous. But directly above it, you have a "Canada" forum (I always thought Canada was in North America, but oh well.) That leaves "North America" being the U.S. and Mexico for sure, and arguably Honduras, Costa Rica, Guatemala, etc, etc, etc ...right? Well not so fast. Drop down a couple of lines and we find the "Caribbean and Latin America" forum. So apparently, Those countries aren't in North America either. By process of elimination we arrive at the inescapable conclusion that "North America" is identical with United States of America. (At least on PPrune.)

HEMS driver
5th Jan 2018, 13:11
Your post

:ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok:

evansb
6th Jan 2018, 01:09
If HEMS driver had qualified his initial comment regarding Coasta Rica moving to the North America section of pprune, then I would not have posted my edifying comment.

Perhaps HEMS driver could have directed his concerns to the MODs for redirection of this thread to "Central America".

HEMS driver
6th Jan 2018, 13:26
If HEMS driver had qualified his initial comment regarding Coasta Rica moving to the North America section of pprune, then I would not have posted my edifying comment.

Perhaps HEMS driver could have directed his concerns to the MODs for redirection of this thread to "Central America".

Read post #6. I did just that, and a mod responded. :rolleyes: :ugh:

italian stallion
7th Jan 2018, 04:34
It's just someone trying to show how clever he is

evansb
7th Jan 2018, 15:12
My initial response contained nothing but fact. No sarcasm, no negativity whatsoever.. No I am not trying to show how clever I am. I thought I was just clarifying a common misapprehension of what constitutes the continent of North America. Nothing more. There is too much much vitriol and mean spirited comments on the net. I am so dumb that I cannot see where the mods responded. Why is the Costa Rican crash still in "North America" then? I give up after over 5,000 posts, of which many were "What Cockpit" and "What Aerodrome" posts and responses, plus many, many photographs. After nearly 12 years of posting, I give up. Buh-bye.

A Squared
7th Jan 2018, 17:13
My initial response contained nothing but fact. No sarcasm, no negativity whatsoever.. No I am not trying to show how clever I am. I thought I was just clarifying a common misapprehension of what constitutes the continent of North America.

I don't think anyone is confused on what traditionally is considered "North America". However, PPrune doesn't divide it's fora according to traditionally used definitions. More to the point, there is a "Caribbean and Latin America" forum which is the obvious choice for a Costa Rican airplane crashing in Costa Rica. The question wasn't asked because people needed "edifying" on which continent was which.

I am so dumb that I cannot see where the mods responded. Why is the Costa Rican crash still in "North America" then?

Seriously? It's the post immediately following the question.