PDA

View Full Version : Any Volunteers???

pzu
31st Dec 2017, 16:37
Volunteers could guard some UK borders, Home Office says - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42527750)

My BiL for one!!!:oh::=:D

PZU - Out of Africa (Retired)

Gertrude the Wombat
31st Dec 2017, 16:45
Yes, lots of Remainers, who will take the posts and then let everything and everybody through.

Georgeablelovehowindia
31st Dec 2017, 16:52
No surprise that when it was announced, THIS immediately sprang to mind:

Tory government slammed over 'ridiculous' plan to use a 'Dad's Army' of Border Force volunteers - Mirror Online (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/tory-government-slammed-over-ridiculous-11775814)

:)

Mr Oleo Strut
31st Dec 2017, 17:39

Tory government slammed over 'ridiculous' plan to use a 'Dad's Army' of Border Force volunteers - Mirror Online (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/tory-government-slammed-over-ridiculous-11775814)

Well rattle my old bones, they've sent for me at last! As a long retired UK Customs Officer I note the proposal to set up a Volunteer Border Force and am ready to creak and groan into action once again. Fantastic! I've recovered my old Customs hat from the loft and dusted down the official blunderbuss.

So I'm now ready to patrol the cliffs and beaches eager to point my bottom and shout at any intrepid foreigner or smuggler who dares desecrate our pristine soon-to-be-blue-flag free shores. The fact that Mrs May, her government and predecessors have run down our border control to its present pitiful state, pre-Brexit, is true testimony to her shambolic and incompetent regime at both the Home Office and as our worst Prime Minister of modern times.

But, hey ho! My time has come again, and I'm looking forward to strutting round again giving out unwanted orders, unpaid, and with absolutely no authority. It's all a bit of a farce, really. In the old days we were trained, paid, professional and, in the main, respected. Now, border control is just a bit of a joke, together with Brexit. We have become little more than an international laughing stock.

chevvron
31st Dec 2017, 17:42
Well they got away with it before with PCSOs introduced by the last Labour government so why not?
On several occasions, we (FISOs) have been asked by UKBF to 'tell' the occupants of an aircraft from abroad not to leave the airfield until the BF officer has talked to them but they have to get to us from their office about 15 miles away.
We have to explain we'll request them to do that but we've got no powers of enforcement and that nobody on the airfield has.
I suppose it's up to them but if they feel the need, they should contact the local police to attend; they're familiar with the airfield as they use the caff as their canteen, their own being closed due to cuts in funding.

good spark
31st Dec 2017, 17:53
can i use my favourite shotgun please?

TURIN
31st Dec 2017, 17:57
Yes, lots of Remainers, who will take the posts and then let everything and everybody through.

Didn't take long for the xenophobic face of Brexit to appear did it?
Not that anyone cast their vote with that in mind of course, oh no it was all about economics and sovereignty. Blue (black) passports and straight bananas.
Good grief!!

Jet II
31st Dec 2017, 18:20

We have had volunteer Policemen since before WW1 - what is so special about the UKBF?

Rosevidney1
31st Dec 2017, 18:32
The various unions have been beating their gums about it long and hard, including foolish statements about requiring years of training. It is actually quite simple, take volunteers from those who have served their country in the armed forces. I doubt there will be a shortage of willing volunteers!

Krystal n chips
31st Dec 2017, 18:43
The various unions have been beating their gums about it long and hard, including foolish statements about requiring years of training. It is actually quite simple, take volunteers from those who have served their country in the armed forces. I doubt there will be a shortage of willing volunteers!

Cooee ! this already being discussed on the Brexit thread, one is delighted to refer you to a guest appearance on a definitive clip !

Trossie
31st Dec 2017, 19:16
What on earth has this to do with 'Brexit'?

There are 195 countries in the world and only 27 in the remainder of the EU. We only have a land border with one country which, like us, is not a member of that Schengennie thingie. There are far too many cheating crooks from all sorts of countries that want to come here illegally. This has nowt to do with, aherm, 'Brexit'!

Can volunteers man any machine-gun towers?

EGLD
31st Dec 2017, 19:23

lets hope it keeps 'em quiet for 5 minutes so we can have some peace

Gertrude the Wombat
31st Dec 2017, 20:49
What on earth has this to do with 'Brexit'?
At present, with a customs union and FoM, it doesn't really matter all that much who or what hops across the channel by yacht or 172. That changes with 'Brexit', which was all about "taking back control of our borders".

G-CPTN
31st Dec 2017, 21:16
At present, with a customs union and FoM, it doesn't really matter all that much who or what hops across the channel by yacht or 172. That changes with 'Brexit', which was all about "taking back control of our borders".

Are you suggesting that the hordes of would-be immigrants collecting at Calais are free to travel to Britain?

Pace
31st Dec 2017, 21:20

Tory government slammed over 'ridiculous' plan to use a 'Dad's Army' of Border Force volunteers - Mirror Online

As the Government is run by a Mums Army it would be just a continuation of the current style
As letting illegal immigrants in to the tune of over a million by May when she was Home Secretary what difference will brexit make Dads Army Mums Army or no Army ?

skydiver69
31st Dec 2017, 22:54
What was it that Cameron wanted? Wasn't it the Big Society where volunteers did everything?

cavortingcheetah
31st Dec 2017, 23:28
Someone asked what this all has to do with Brexit. It doesn't. It could however have quite a lot to do with keeping people in the country once the Marxists are voted into power. The bayonets, figuratively speaking, only have to be turned through 180 degrees.

Gertrude the Wombat
1st Jan 2018, 00:24
Are you suggesting that the hordes of would-be immigrants collecting at Calais are free to travel to Britain?
I'm suggesting that if it occurred to them to use private yachts and aircraft they might find it a bit easier (if not necessarily cheap). One of my yachtie friends has been listing places in Essex where people could be dropped off in totally remote creeks within easy walking distance of a bus stop or railway station.

Gertrude the Wombat
1st Jan 2018, 00:25
Someone asked what this all has to do with Brexit. It doesn't. It could however have quite a lot to do with keeping people in the country once the Marxists are voted into power. The bayonets, figuratively speaking, only have to be turned through 180 degrees.
Ah!- I'm glad I'm no longer the only one with that theory!

andytug
1st Jan 2018, 00:34
Whereas the opposite of Marxists just privatise it, and whoever owns the bayonets decides which way they point....

UniFoxOs
1st Jan 2018, 09:17
I'm suggesting that if it occurred to them to use private yachts and aircraft they might find it a bit easier (if not necessarily cheap). One of my yachtie friends has been listing places in Essex where people could be dropped off in totally remote creeks within easy walking distance of a bus stop or railway station.

Hundreds of places around the coast. We can't guard every beach and creek, and I've never quite understood why smugglers (whether of contraband or people) don't make more use of them.

Gertrude the Wombat
1st Jan 2018, 10:25
Hundreds of places around the coast. We can't guard every beach and creek, and I've never quite understood why smugglers (whether of contraband or people) don't make more use of them.
She was telling me of one smuggling route which involved chucking the drugs out of a C172 to be picked up by a boat in a creek. The C172 would then land normally at a proper airport.

EGLD
1st Jan 2018, 10:27

"Yachtie friends" :D

A very middle class tantrum, sorry, revolution

Gertrude the Wombat
1st Jan 2018, 11:34
"Yachtie friends" :D

A very middle class tantrum, sorry, revolution
Just a techie, lucky to be given some shares in her employer that, unlike the vast majority, turned out to be worth something.

Plus, what I didn't realise until I was told, you can get a pretty decent yacht for 40k-50k, about the price of a somewhat tired and clapped-out aircraft. So owning a boat doesn't necessarily make you rich by pilot standards :)

VP959
1st Jan 2018, 11:50

Been going on for decades. Years ago a friend owned a yacht and kept it at Mylor, near Falmouth. He worked in Dubai, and was stuck in the "mustn't come back to the UK for more than so many days a year" rule, or else he'd have to pay UK income tax. He asked me to look after his boat and use it as I liked whilst he was away, plus sail it over to France a few times a year, so he could have sailing holidays whilst staying outside the UK. I'd sail it back again afterwards.

On the very first time I sailed the yacht back, as a very newly qualified yacht skipper, I followed the rules to the letter, tied up at the yellow buoy mooring off Customs House Quay in Falmouth and hoisted flag Q, waiting to be boarded by customs for a check (this was back when most small boats didn't have a radio set). After a couple of hours, a fisherman came past and asked what I was doing. I told him and his reply was that Customs didn't work at weekends, so I was wasting my time and may as well head off to my mooring..............

On every single occasion after that I just didn't bother to contact Customs at all when coming back in, but just sailed straight back to the mooring at Mylor. Only once did I get intercepted, by an inflatable with a big searchlight, late at night, but that turned out to be the inshore rescue lifeboat, out looking for someone who'd been reported out sailing a windsurfer whilst under the influence.

At that time Falmouth was awash with drugs, and I strongly suspect that a lot of them came in on small boats, as there seemed to be zero effort in trying to even make small boats comply with the basic customs regs, let alone go chasing them in order to carry out searches.

I have to say that this was a complete contrast to France. Every single time I sailed to L'Aberwrac'h I was boarded by les douanes and had the boat searched and the papers checked, without fail.

Muffin Themule
1st Jan 2018, 23:58
At that time Falmouth was awash with drugs, and I strongly suspect that a lot of them came in on small boats, as there seemed to be zero effort in trying to even make small boats comply with the basic customs regs, let alone go chasing them in order to carry out searches.

Mustn't let red tape get in the way of free enterprise old chap.

Animal Mother
2nd Jan 2018, 10:08
Well they got away with it before with PCSOs introduced by the last Labour government so why not?

PCSOs hold paid positions distinct to warranted Police Officers. They aren't volunteers.