PDA

View Full Version : Queensland Whole-of-State Rescue Tender?

Al Fentanyl
31st Dec 2017, 08:29
The Betoota Refueller tells of a rumour that after the recent Rescue Helicopter Review in Qld the State Government is going to put out a tender for a NSW style whole-of-state service provider. Anyone heard anything around this?

mustering guru
31st Dec 2017, 09:13
A review might happen but the QLD Gov just purchased 2 x New 139s so I doubt they would put it out tender. QLD runs its rescue service cheaper than any third party can.

But it is Gov so who the F knows

havick
1st Jan 2018, 00:05
. QLD runs its rescue service cheaper than any third party can.

But it is Gov so who the F knows

Just out of curiosity do you actually know how much their current department runs the service for and how much a private contractor could run the same or better service, or are you just floating rumors and hearsay?

gulliBell
1st Jan 2018, 01:04
I was flying a pollie around the other day, and he asked me about my opinion of the same thing. Asked about the type of A/C, personnel, bases, equipment, logistics, etc,etc
He wanted it I gave it to him

About $300 million worth of hardware alone to set that up. If said pollie has any swing in government I'm sure you scuttled any plan to do more than what they are currently doing.

I heard HL are trying to get an AOC in Australia to operate AW139. Maybe they've also heard from the oracle Betoota refueller as well.

megle2
1st Jan 2018, 09:14
Havic, the true cost would be well hidden but I bet it’s being watched.
Wouldn’t surprise me if they put both RW and FW up for grabs

Al Fentanyl
1st Jan 2018, 09:57
Bear in mind there has just been a review, finished in November I think. The question is will it change the current setup?

Bases -- Cairns, Townsville, Horn Is, Rocky, Sunshine C, 2 x Brissy, Mt Isa, maybe 1 other in central QLD.

Really? A $17M AW139 at Mt Isa, where my sources tell me the current setup does maybe 1 (mostly unnecessary) flight a month? Why? (not taking the piss, genuine question).

The others, yep, and would also include Toowoomba which is possibly the busiest HEMS base in the State.

Interesting times ahead perhaps.

gulliBell
1st Jan 2018, 10:33
..Really? A $17M AW139 at Mt Isa...

cough....closer to $17M USD, plus putting all the good toys in it you won't get much change out of $27M AUD...and I don't know if GST is payable on new aircraft, if so, $30M +. I sure wouldn't want to be the first to put a scratch on the new whirlybird.

avtech23
1st Jan 2018, 21:05
cough....closer to $17M USD, plus putting all the good toys in it you won't get much change out of $27M AUD...and I don't know if GST is payable on new aircraft, if so, $30M +. I sure wouldn't want to be the first to put a scratch on the new whirlybird.

Hmm. You might be thinking of the 225 at those prices..

Brand spankers at $11m USD max according to this source:

bjtonline dot com/aircraft/leonardo-helicopters-aw139

A full SAR EC225 cost in the region of $32m for one well known operator.

And you could always pick up a cheap 2010 machine with around 2000FH for well under $7m USD:

globalair dot com/aircraft-for-sale/ListingDetail/Agusta-AW139?AdId=76902

gulliBell
1st Jan 2018, 22:56
Well, a mate of mine bought a new AW139 about 4 or 5 years ago and it was $17M USD. I know, I saw the invoice for it. It had the swanky KL internal fit which added a bit to the price, but not anywhere near as much as a SAR/EMS kit would cost to fit out. Plus any price rises since then.

Same again
2nd Jan 2018, 12:02
$17M? That's small change for the QLD Govt. They have spent more in name changes for their helicopter operation in the past 20 years :-)

mustering guru
2nd Jan 2018, 19:00
Just out of curiosity do you actually know how much their current department runs the service for and how much a private contractor could run the same or better service, or are you just floating rumors and hearsay?

Can't quote numbers J, but I can tell you third parties are more expensive. Not rumours or hearsay.

Anyway why do you care about Australian Rotary going ons, you're a fix wing driver in the US now..

a Vic Pol job is coming up soon if you want to try again :)

belly tank
3rd Jan 2018, 09:10
Agree with Gulli-Bell, you'd be looking at around $25-27 Aud for a 139 these days depending on fit out.

Tight Anium
3rd Jan 2018, 23:21
A/C -- AW 139
Personnel-- 2 pilot,

Why move from the current model of almost every 139 SAR/EMS operator in Australia?

havick
4th Jan 2018, 02:35
Can't quote numbers J, but I can tell you third parties are more expensive. Not rumours or hearsay.

Anyway why do you care about Australian Rotary going ons, you're a fix wing driver in the US now..

a Vic Pol job is coming up soon if you want to try again :)

1) interesting, I always wondered what the comparison might be from govt runs shows to the privateer. In which case why go down the privateer route then if only to cost more and have less control of the operation? Why not just have every state have their own govt air wing like QLD, or just have the army or navy do it like the UK used to? Genuine questions, I’m not stirring the pot here.

2) yes you are correct in my current employment, adulting has got in the way of interesting work. Though, I still fly Helo’s from time to time so still have an interest in them.

3) thanks but no.

Evil Twin
4th Jan 2018, 07:43
In the immortal words of Monty Python

"We lease back the ping machine from the company we sold it too, that way it comes under the monthly current budget and not the capital account."

Think about going to government to ask for $30m in capex expenditure or going to them for a half million a month over five years. I worked for a council some years ago and these people don't think like normal human beings, believe it or not the monthly (even though long term will cost a bunch more) is a much easier sell than $30m in one gulp.

Same again
4th Jan 2018, 18:28
So long as the 'ex-bush pilots' do not have to converse on the radio, enter controlled airspace, fly IFR or offshore there shouldn't be a problem.

BigMike
7th Jan 2018, 04:14
Government can do it cheaper than GA...?!
Hahaha happy new year... 😉
How many personal required to run EMQ's Brisbane 139...

Same again
7th Jan 2018, 05:12
Your not one of those jealous type pilots that missed out on the best training and Trainers, comrades, the best flying of your life and the best experiences

No - I had a wonderful time in the military.

heaps of us in the ME and Africa.

Yes I know. I've flown with them.

gulliBell
7th Jan 2018, 07:13
I generally hold ex-bush pilots in high regards for their stick and rudder skills. I see no reason why they wouldn't be successful in a complex aircraft like a 139, subject to a thorough pilot initial on type. In the simulator during recurrent checks, when the automation stuff starts breaking down, I find the guys with solid background in stick and rudder flying usually manage a bit better (on average) than pilots who have been brought up mostly pushing buttons in helicopters.

gulliBell
7th Jan 2018, 07:35
My main concern with putting ex-bush pilots in a 139 would be whether they had a strong background in night flying, which many don't have. Particularly for the EMS/SAR role where you really need to have it all together when operating at night.
BTW, I never gave anybody a double gen failure in IFR...so whoever did that to you probably thought you were doing OK up to that point and decided to crank up the heat more than usual.

gulliBell
7th Jan 2018, 08:16
I only do the double gen at night, and then only when in sight of the airport. Whilst it might seem a straight forward malfunction to deal with, I've seen the outcome too many times to try it on students when all they can see outside are the pitot tubes.