PDA

View Full Version : Using a Slant Board:

Ocean Person
30th Dec 2017, 06:31
Is there anyone here that knows anything about the advantages or disadvantages of using an inversion gravity table commonly called a slant board. These slant boards are now available and their suggested use is as an aid to enhancing both mental and physical fitness by improving blood flow to the brain. One simply lies on a board that is contained within a tubular frame and the board rotates by selected increments to a vertical head down position. It is suggested the full vertical upside down position should not exceed 5 minutes per day. The benefits are an improved blood flow to the brain. There is a warning that anyone suffering from certain problems such as high blood pressure, glaucoma, diabetes etc etc should not use this board. Surely the brain would welcome a little extra blood as one ages and this would be a plus. However there might be underlying problems if the brain pressure is raised, but then again reclining upside down may not increase the pressure but only increase the flow.
How about say 30 degrees head down? Would that be OK. Any thoughts would be sincerely appreciated.

Loose rivets
30th Dec 2017, 15:34
How old are you?

Risk. My guess is there's no way of knowing what will happen. Also, I'm not convinced it would be beneficial - despite being one of those that's tried it over the years. I liked the machines that held one's ankles while doing gut-busters. Did that into my sixties, and it must be evident that it's had no detrimental effect on me. :}

Quickly, something about why I used to hang upside down just in case it helps someone. Bit of a ramble, but . . .

It broke my heart seeing one of our local GP's suffering from a painful and jammed up neck. Finally, they said pain control was his only option. He retired still fairly youthful if not young.

It was such a shame. I felt sure it could be got right by manipulation while hanging, (I really disapprove of that gripping and wrenching thing osteopaths do) but I didn't dare experiment on anyone but myself with my versions of manipulation.

Anyway, we both agreed the risk of stroke was a significant issue.

I'd mentioned to him that since a judo accident when I was 18, I occasionally got exactly the same symptoms. Only had to bash me head while building a roof or some-such and I was hollerin' to the Rivetess to to the neck stretching thing. Hanging over a wall while she hung onto my head - the total weight was probably at least 30 lbs. Then turn it gently. It worked every time - for years. Decades, even.

Now however, can I risk my brain's vascular system? I would, but then I don't like being old, and also I have very low blood pressure. Someone that goes a delicate shade of puce while inverted probably shouldn't even think about it. I know I stopped any negative g aerobatics c 45 years old. Just not worth teasing at the brain with more than -2g and a sudden jolt might just cause a bleed.

Back to hanging. There's been a recent thread about backs. I used to hang for ages fully inverted. I was well past 70 and no lightweight. I'd be careful though, and it's no use saying build up to it gradually. I suppose the blood vessels might learn to stretch, but there doesn't seem to be any way someone over 45 could really know what was going to happen. I've lost a couple of friends to stroke and neither of them showed the slightest tendency towards vascular issues. One day they were fine, next, they weren't.

Tough call, but is it good science? I'll bet there's a lot on the net about stimulating one's brain but haven't got the mental energy to look. :bored:

Radgirl
30th Dec 2017, 16:48
I would suggest you ask the manufacturer to show you the scientific evidence.

Dont hold your breath

That being said, I cant see it can do anything either beneficial nor harmful. Although a colleague of mine tried to hang upside down using something screwed into a door frame. Small screws, soft wood, inevitable outcome!

cavortingcheetah
30th Dec 2017, 19:21
Adherents of yoga spend a lot of time on their heads or upside down without the use of boards. Perhaps that’s where the manufacturer got the idea? I would suggest that a good yoga school would be of greater long term benefit as well as having the potential to be socially quite liberating.
In addition, much yoga is performed with music. Beethoven said that music is a higher revelation than all wisdom or philosophy. Beethoven was right. The CIA famously don’t play music when water boarding.
By the way, I ought to declare that I have no medical training at all, nor do I like standing on my head. I do however adore Mozart’s music which is brain food and soul soothing too.

Loose rivets
31st Dec 2017, 11:10
Funny thing about brains and music. fMRI's are showing extraordinary results in moments when the subject feels euphoric upon hearing their favourite classical pieces. They'd expected discrete areas to light up, but instead vast and seemingly unrelated areas started using far more oxygen as well.

Although a colleague of mine tried to hang upside down using something screwed into a door frame. Small screws, soft wood, inevitable outcome!

At a guess, this would be a doctor of medicine - on a quiet day when no interesting cases had come in.

Mine was serious, but mainly the fault of our embyo club not having much money. My guru* went for a really dramatic throw - an ippon seoi nage variation. I was vertical above him when his feet got tangled in loose canvas. It was very hurty.

*fading away now, but once one of the highest graded (in contest) BJA Dan grades in Europe.

cavortingcheetah
31st Dec 2017, 21:30
Joe being dead it would be long a coincidence were that Doug.

Ocean Person
5th Jan 2018, 04:42
Looserivets; Radgirl; cavortingcheetah:

Thank you very much for your response to my inquiries. I have decided to give the slant board a miss as it does not seem to be a good idea.

cavortingcheetah
5th Jan 2018, 07:01
Thank you for the follow up, that was courteous of you and good luck for the future refreshment of your brain.
As a sidereal thought, there are many illustrations of the Kama Sutra positions on the internet. Perhaps you could find one that would suit your inverted 30 degree proposal that would satisfy your inverted desires while at the same time providing salacious entertainment. The only downside that I, as a non medical man could imagine, would be a diminution of the blood supply available for the thought processes involved as a consequence of the necessity of the same source of supply to the piston power required. Still, every little effort in self improvement usually comes with a downside. Alternatively, you could try reading the works of Charles Dickens in a subdued light by a crackling log fire.

Ocean Person
6th Jan 2018, 08:13
cavortingcheetah:

You paint an inspiring picture; favorite music; comfortable chair;Charles Dickens and a log fire is not a bad idea. In fact it is a good idea.
Serene tranquility must surely be brain food yet some might say it is a form of Confucian idleness. So many questions, so few answers.

Shaft109
2nd Feb 2018, 16:24
Surely just gentle exercise like walking or even Tai Chi stretching can improve your blood flow?

Just triggered a memory about relaxing places - in the UK Lake District is a nice hotel with a reading area away from the bustle of the bar / reception. Styled like an old study the shape of the corridor seems to insulate all sound within a few yards.

There's a log effect fire that is open to 2 sides if that makes sense and I was hidden away in there reading but sort of zoned out although totally awake.

A log cabin with leather easy chairs for reading and good stereo?

I/m in .