PDA

View Full Version : RAF New Years Honours 2018

Stuff
29th Dec 2017, 22:16
https://www.raf.mod.uk/news/NewYearsHonours2018.cfm

Congratulations to all involved.

I meant 2018 - please could someone mod the thread title!

NutLoose
29th Dec 2017, 23:02
QUEEN’S VOLUNTEER RESERVES MEDAL (QVRM)
Royal Auxiliary Air Force

Warrant Officer Shobha EARL

Flight Lieutenant Norman MacKay GRAY

Tea for two? :E

NutLoose
29th Dec 2017, 23:08
Not really many, the usual worthless awards ( OBE etc) for simply being promoted to a rank and doing your job managing those that earn it for you.. ( prepared for the incoming ) and a load of commendations that are pretty much worthless in the real world.

The Old Fat One
29th Dec 2017, 23:32
Well I know one of the OBE's very well, as he used to work for me. And a thoroughly decent, hardworking chap he is too (slightly strange choice of football team he supports though ;))

NutLoose
29th Dec 2017, 23:43
Sorry but I think the whole system and the way they are awarded sucks. If you put forward a volunteer at say a hospice for 30 years unpaid service as a volunteer they might at best get an MBE, but by simply obtaining a rank in the military you receive an OBE or a knighthood..... The same goes for sportsmen and politicians, they are paid well but seemingly expect the trinkets of office.

If you can tell me the difference of a road sweeper of 30 years serving the public or a senior officer of the same period doing the same then I might see it differently, but as far as I am concerned. They have both justified the same award.... In fact the road sweeper who has carried on for less financial gain probably deserves it more for his commitment against adversity.

An example of how totally worthless these trinkets are
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6147544.stm
And I thought Idi Amin was bad.

treadigraph
29th Dec 2017, 23:45
Tea for two? :E

It means bergamot-all? ;)

oldpax
29th Dec 2017, 23:51
Wonder if the Queen knows OBE stands for "other bu..gers efforts"!

Old-Duffer
30th Dec 2017, 05:45
I see the list is very up to date

The designations: RAFVR(T) and (Rank) ATC have both been replaced by RAFAC for officers and non commissioned personnel. However, perhaps a 'team award' for the HQ Air Cadets Media and Comms Team explains it all!!!!!!!

Congratulations to those on the list.

Old Duffer

Pontius Navigator
30th Dec 2017, 08:32
It's how its written up and what chain it goes up (or down).

One year, as an independent commander, I wrote up for an award and the recipient got a well deserved AOCs Com; he was a contractor. Two years later my next write up was intercepted by my parent unit. The person got a stn cdrs commendation. The stn cdr had never visited the unit, knew nothing of the work, and the person concerned had never been to that station.

Gave up after that, then we went Purple and things got worse!

Heathrow Harry
30th Dec 2017, 08:36
I can't see why anyonein the Military gets an honour except for bravery TBH

And as for all the MP's who have got a Knighthood.........................

Pontius Navigator
30th Dec 2017, 08:42
Mrs PN, reading the Torygraph, reaches the honours page.

"Good gracious, I didn't realise there were to many good people in the country" before turning quickly to the Business pages.

Says it all really.

The Old Fat One
30th Dec 2017, 08:43
I pretty much agree Nutloose...on the other hand all the RAF guys I know personally who have picked up awards have all been super-ace guys...so I guess it kinda works somehow.

Grips my **** when they shell them out to a/h celebs tho. And yeah, many people contribute way more to society in so many different ways, than some of these d/wads.

Whenurhappy
30th Dec 2017, 10:16
Once again the Lord Chamberlain's office have lost my address! My new HOD, who starts next week, has just picked up a K.

As a measure of how quickly things move on when one moves away from the forces, I know a sum total of two on the Forces list (and only one is RAF). Both are decent, hardworking chaps, but without seeing the write-ups I couldn't comment on their respective entitlements. Nor can anyone else unless they have read the write-ups or worked alongside them. Moreover in my area there are a number of civilians written up who have done sterling work, but because of the nature of that work, their citations are not normally published. Their names are buried down various lists with anodyne job titles.

Another point is that these Honours are for activities that took place at least 12 months ago (or before).

Union Jack
30th Dec 2017, 10:57
And here's the full Military New Year Honours List:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/the-military-division-of-the-new-year-honours-list-2018

Jack

goudie
30th Dec 2017, 11:04
'Sir Humphrey' would be aghast at the the likes of Clegg, Gibb et al, making the list
I'm With Nutloose on this one.

Pontius Navigator
30th Dec 2017, 11:52
Goudie, I beg to differ, wasn't there an episode along the line of the military, promoted and posted? Kicked upstair where he can do less harm?

goudie
30th Dec 2017, 12:04
Yes, PN I do recall that episode. I was thinking of his opinion re. the so called celebs and useless politicians.