PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone make bear paws that will fit a Clipper II with factory floats?

aa777888
28th Dec 2017, 13:50
The subject line says it all. I'm thinking the answer is "no", but you never know, and I'm not shy about asking dumb questions :}

Thanks,

aa

helicopter-redeye
28th Dec 2017, 15:09
Dart Aerospace are the main producers of aftermarket parts for the 44. I think the challenge would be the paws fit around the skid and there’s s delicate Bag in the way which could be compromised if inflated.

http://www.dartaerospace.com/d044-662-011-robinson-r44-bearpaw-kit

Says it’s compatible with Dart Floats (which I have) but they are a two piece unit whereas a std Clipper pack is one piece.

aa777888
28th Dec 2017, 16:21
Good suggestion, and we had already checked with Dart. Unfortunately the Dart paws are only compatible with the Dart floats :-(

The biggest issue seems to be the Clipper II skids themselves, which are different from the Raven skids. You know how the Clipper skids have a rounded raised section aft of the rear crosstube, while the Raven skids have a short flattened section. Nobody seems to make a paw that fits either just in front of the rear crosstube only, or that picks up the round, raised section aft of the rear crosstube.

helicopter-redeye
28th Dec 2017, 16:37
Same skids for a Dart equipped ship. The point about Dart floats is 2x2 packs so there is some space to allow articulation around the mid point is using a Dart Paw. Also newer 44 ships have the 66 skid unit (which Dart are just starting to notice).

Sounds like you are out of luck with factory fitted floats unless you get another set of skids without for soft ground operation where water landing is less likely. With Dart floats the packs and tubes can be removed to give greater use flexibility.

aa777888
28th Dec 2017, 18:38
From a purely engineering perspective it would not seem difficult to create a paw that would work. No, I'm not willing to do the paperwork and pay for it! Must not be a big enough market for this particular variant, I suppose?

Most winter flights have me operating over open water and snow both. Obviously I wanted my cake and to eat it, too. However, there are choices and there are choices. In the spirit of "I'd rather have it and not need it" the floats have to take precedence. Most snow around here is safely operable without paws with the right technique, and in an emergency it's only going to sink in up to its belly in the snow, as opposed to sink to the bottom of a lake or ocean.

Maybe I'll get a collapsible shovel, just in case the snow does get a little deep ;)

heliturbo
1st Jan 2018, 11:26
try Helitowcart in Québec city
they make carts, and seats, I had their bear paws on my 44
excellent service

aa777888
1st Jan 2018, 13:54
try Helitowcart in Québec city
they make carts, and seats, I had their bear paws on my 44
excellent service
Thanks, @heliturbo. I actually checked with them right after checking with Dart. Unfortunately they also did not have something that fit. However they did sound like they might be interested in creating something, as they asked for photos. I may try to follow up on that over the summer for next winter. When the annual float inspection happens I can take some photos and measurements with them deflated and inflated and then send them to Helitowcart. I suspect interference with inflation is the biggest potential issue.

heliturbo
1st Jan 2018, 19:48
I think you should, I bought a used EC120 tow cart from someone, and had a few issues, they were very helpfyl and even supplied a part free of charge.....
the new President is very keen, .....and wants to develop the company