PDA

View Full Version : Looking to return to aviation engineering.

ex fat repair team
28th Dec 2017, 13:06
Hi Folks,

Could do with some honest advice please.

I am looking at the possibilities of getting back in to aviation engineering at mechanic level, but have been away from it since leaving the RAF back in 94. Yep thats 1994.

I served 14 years as a Airframe Tech and worked on Harriers, VC10 and Hercs. Nearly all of that time was spent doing Minors majors etc.

I would appreciate any advice, recommendations of training organisations and suggestions on routes back in to the trade etc. Also honest, forget it you have been away to long comments.

Thanks

Neil

Rigga
28th Dec 2017, 21:56
Your return to aviation depends on two quite basic questions:

1. where you can afford to work?
2. how little money you need to live on?

I think your enthusiasm to return may be short-lived when you answer the above.

Ex Maintainer
28th Dec 2017, 23:26
Hi,

I also left the RAF, back in 1984. After a few years i realized i had made a big mistake and wished i had continued, but with all things, you have to work with what you have.

IMHO go forward, never back. I now work in another industry on way way more money than i would be on in aviation. Yep i will always miss my aeroplanes, but we all make decisions and have to live with the consequence.

I also volunteer for a day or so in an aeroplane museum each month. Unpaid of course, i enjoy it, but would never do it full time.

Have a look for all aviation openings if any. In my local area. there is an aviation college, so teaching may be an opening for you. Alternately, seek work in an airport doing anything.

Finally, just think of the courses and bonds you will have pay for.

Good luck.