PDA

View Full Version : No more duty free allowance for crew into the UAE

kennedy
28th Dec 2017, 10:17
Latest reduction in T&Cs effective 1st Jan.

Although not the companies fault, at least we can pay the 5% VAT in Dubai!

blackeagles
28th Dec 2017, 10:21
here comes the cherry on top of the cream...

looks like barracuda will be having overcapacity 2018 onwards.

Hypoxic01
28th Dec 2017, 10:23
OK, it's now time to PANIC!!!!!!! I need my alcohol!!

The Outlaw
28th Dec 2017, 11:14
I looks like there are bigger problems afoot, this is just a symptom, love the 3 day warning window though.This mandate had been issued by the Government of Dubai and Dubai Customs. I expect this desperation is not happening to the operator down the road.

It's clear that this is a push to generate revenue for the state, nothing more. Stand by for massive increases for alcohol and cigarettes with exceptions for uae citizens.

One can only begin to conclude that EK and the UAE in general are working to "convince" foreign workers to consider relocating to their home countries or elsewhere.

I'm certain that this will push out a few pilots and a load of cabin crew. The real scary thing is, "what is the next load of BS coming down the conveyer"?

aeropix
28th Dec 2017, 11:25
And as usual announced late on a Thursday afternoon...

Joker11
28th Dec 2017, 11:37
I looks like there are bigger problems afoot, this is just a symptom, love the 3 day warning window though.This mandate had been issued by the Government of Dubai and Dubai Customs. I expect this desperation is not happening to the operator down the road.

It's clear that this is a push to generate revenue for the state, nothing more. Stand by for massive increases for alcohol and cigarettes with exceptions for uae citizens.

One can only begin to conclude that EK and the UAE in general are working to "convince" foreign workers to consider relocating to their home countries or elsewhere.

I'm certain that this will push out a few pilots and a load of cabin crew. The real scary thing is, "what is the next load of BS coming down the conveyer"?

UAE citizens pay full taxes as well.
But yeah it is time to leave.

sealear
28th Dec 2017, 11:37
Wow, so much happening lately on all fronts. It does indeed make you wonder what's next. China is starting to look attractive.....

Big Enos Burdette
28th Dec 2017, 11:59
The real scary thing is, "what is the next load of BS coming down the conveyer"?

The banning of crew bringing back food from abroad.

ironbutt57
28th Dec 2017, 12:30

and suddenly nobody bids Frankfurt...

BANANASBANANAS
28th Dec 2017, 12:37
Outlaw has hit the nail on the head.

This is a bigger issue than Emirates Airline - which is bad enough.

Time to go.

felixthecat
28th Dec 2017, 14:00
The biscuit gets smaller and smaller as it crumbles around the edges. Petty and unnecessary.

maimax
28th Dec 2017, 15:19
Can't wait to get paid in Union Coop's vouchers

MusingMonk
28th Dec 2017, 15:37

and suddenly nobody bids Frankfurt...

I think they have already included that as well. Any vegetables and prepared food stuff is covered as well.

Although raw meat should not be considered prepared but who knows how the Habibi's will interpret that.

jack schidt
28th Dec 2017, 15:40
The scales aren’t balancing. The ups and downs appear to be all on the same negative side of satisfaction scales.

Prices incl VAT UP

Fear Factor UP

Ticket prices UP

Customs restrictions on Crew UP

Panic FCI distribution UP (incl v2)

Briefs and cockpit chatter UP

Sackings UP

Hours Flown UP

Command age UP

Moral DOWN

Pay DOWN

Accommodation options DOWN

Decent Hotel locations DOWN

The list goes on and the scales are looking extremely low on one side.

Add to this that when not in the operating seats, your whole career is at risk while you sit on the jumpseat, unless you wakeUP and have as much responsibility from that seat as the front 2 seaters (while not on logged operating duty!).

J

motojet
28th Dec 2017, 16:04
Ya know. I’ve been at EK for a while. Been watching the terms and conditions steadily deteriorate and listening to the bitc$ing for a long time. But I do believe with this “no bringing in alcohol for operating crews”, the final straw has been reached. Interesting times ahead.

Calmcavok
28th Dec 2017, 17:14
The scales aren’t balancing. The ups and downs appear to be all on the same negative side of satisfaction scales.

Prices incl VAT UP

Fear Factor UP

Ticket prices UP

Customs restrictions on Crew UP

Panic FCI distribution UP (incl v2)

Briefs and cockpit chatter UP

Sackings UP

Hours Flown UP

Command age UP

Moral DOWN

Pay DOWN

Accommodation options DOWN

Decent Hotel locations DOWN

The list goes on and the scales are looking extremely low on one side.

Add to this that when not in the operating seats, your whole career is at risk while you sit on the jumpseat, unless you wakeUP and have as much responsibility from that seat as the front 2 seaters (while not on logged operating duty!).

J

This should be a sticky on the 'Terms & Endearment' section.

Old King Coal
28th Dec 2017, 23:28
As they seem to be desperately scraping the bottom of the barrel for revenue, things must be getting really bad: No free parking for motorbikes anymore (http://gulfnews.com/news/uae/transport/no-free-parking-for-motorbikes-anymore-1.2146088)

Nb. As a result, it's highly likely that take-away orders, etc, will take longer to deliver and become expensive.

Joker11
29th Dec 2017, 06:23
There really is no point staying here any longer. Expenses are through the roof. People are leaving being replaced with people with lower pay scales. I went to the shop recently looking for a rolling pin. It took 3 people to tell me that they had none. I went to check the aisle myself and what do I see? A full shelf of rolling pins!

Gulf News
29th Dec 2017, 06:34
This smacks of some sycophant desperately trying to ingratiate himself to the perfumed princes higher up the food chain. He will have proudly pulled the infidels into line by banning duty free alcohol imports by crew and at the same time generating revenue to fill the rather deep pockets of the Dubai government. Perhaps to buy a few more Bugatti police cars.

Like most things UAE there is no clear stipulated policy about what a crew member is allowed to bring in. As mentioned above there is only a vague reference in the passenger duty free allowance guide. What we have been dished out in the usual Thursday “good news” letter is some Costa hero’s interpretation of the customs directive. Just like most policies here it sows more confusion than certainty.

Having said that it t is very unlikely that our Late’ lapping leaders will do anything about clarifying the situation as it does not affect them in any way. They will just standby and say we told you so when some vague rule is randomly imposed by a customs official having a bad day. Does anyone know what the cabin crew have been told? Their communication channels are often a lot clearer.

DCS99
29th Dec 2017, 07:11
Our New Year visitor paid 140 AED for her Duty Free cigarettes last night - EK T3.
Doubled in price.

Tango77
29th Dec 2017, 07:30
I recommend ALL crew should bring items back!! Can you imagine the the carnage when they have to inspect every suitcase!!!!

Hypoxic01
29th Dec 2017, 12:51
We should all bring back 4 litres of water. That'll teach them!

WB1900
29th Dec 2017, 13:40
i would be seriously intressted in how much a training of on pilot until his command will cost.
How much money could they safe in keeping pilots instead of train year by year hundreds of people to compensate those are leaving.
Further i would like to understand why HH is satisfied with the performance of the 3rd floor if the calls on places like this are so bad.
even tough u cant believe everything here, it is bad enough to scare of people even they believe only 50% - how can a top manager let it happen that employees have such a bad opinion about their employer.
i really like to understand why the top management, does not want their current employees being the asset to attract the so much needed work force. i really dont get it - but maybe i am just naive.

Happy New Year

BANANASBANANAS
29th Dec 2017, 19:36
i would be seriously intressted in how much a training of on pilot until his command will cost.
How much money could they safe in keeping pilots instead of train year by year hundreds of people to compensate those are leaving.
Further i would like to understand why HH is satisfied with the performance of the 3rd floor if the calls on places like this are so bad.
even tough u cant believe everything here, it is bad enough to scare of people even they believe only 50% - how can a top manager let it happen that employees have such a bad opinion about their employer.
i really like to understand why the top management, does not want their current employees being the asset to attract the so much needed work force. i really dont get it - but maybe i am just naive.

Happy New Year

When department heads are set (bonus dependent) cost cutting targets for the current financial year, then the business model tends to force them to discount next year as next year's (or someone else's) problem.

Unless or until there is a different business model put in place and a different culture instilled in the way our managers manage the only change will be things getting even worse than they are now.

Wingman82
29th Dec 2017, 19:45
They brew some good stuff in saudia by themselves. Should be in the FCOM or an FCI coming soon how one can brew his own alkohol here :8

voice_of_peace
30th Dec 2017, 00:22

good idea.

malamute747
30th Dec 2017, 06:46
2 different Cabin Crew have asked customs officials about the new rule and customs officials are saying that the rule has come from EK.

nakbin330
30th Dec 2017, 09:58
I’ve called Customs twice, and spoken to two different people, who both advised that the allowance for pax and crew is the same ... 4 litres, etc.

Maybe the new restrictions will filter down to the minions in time but at the moment it’s ops normal.

Jumeirah James
30th Dec 2017, 12:13
Is it true this doesn't apply to Etihad and other airlines in UAE?

pressurezero
30th Dec 2017, 12:17
I spoke to them too. There are no changes to their customs rules. He didn't know what I was talking about. He only said that the rules for Emirates operating crew must be down to a separate, internal agreement between Emirates and Dubai Customs. Operating crew for other airlines obviously will not be subject to these restrictions.

So this has come from Emirates, Dubai Customs couldn't give a cr@p I don't think.

Killer Loop
30th Dec 2017, 12:56
It affects your little brother accross the road too.

givemewings
30th Dec 2017, 15:22

Make it zamzam for good measure :E

gearlever
30th Dec 2017, 17:25
"Duty free allowance for crew in UAE".

Well, looks like a real big problem.

Otherwise everything is fine in UAE......OMG:ugh:

GillEx737
31st Dec 2017, 02:18
Come on now...we still have Barracuda!

Sheikh Your Bootie
31st Dec 2017, 04:54
Although Barracuda is cheaper, some of their stock is often past its sell by date (beer) or very close to. I would rather spend my money on booze outside UAE where possible. Love me some craft beers Habibis :ok:

I think this is more of storm in a tea cup and will pass as lets face it the nice Customs guys n gals are more interested in the contents of their phones 99.999% of the time.

SyB :ugh::ugh:

777-200LR
31st Dec 2017, 13:49

I’m doing it on my next layover, trying to find something posh resembling a Champaign bottle

Monarch Man
31st Dec 2017, 15:01
Pelligrino or a 6 pack of cola etc etc.

givemewings
31st Dec 2017, 21:51
Appletiser. The big ones :E

parabellum
31st Dec 2017, 23:58
If you set out to annoy the customs officers by wasting their time investigating water etc. you will simply antagonize them into enforcing the rules that, at the moment, it would appear they are happy to be quite relaxed about, where crew are concerned.

From my several years living and working in the Gulf it was ever thus.

natops
1st Jan 2018, 00:35
Just past customs with a few test bottles.

No issues.

The.Humble.Guy
1st Jan 2018, 05:40
it would appear they are happy to be quite relaxed about, where crew are concerned.

Arrived at EGHQ at 01:00 LT on 01/01/18 and I can guarantee you, not a single custom officer was relaxed about the new rule. The amount of bottles confiscated was enough to stock a typical MMI... My flight deck colleague specifically asked a custom officer if it was true that they are clamping down on bringing alcohol into Dubai when you’re operating crew and he affirmed it.

Many people will find out the hard way that there is no relaxing of this rule by having their booze confiscated.

Python27
1st Jan 2018, 16:30
Guantanamo mode ON...what is next? Curfew for CC....?

RedB@ron
1st Jan 2018, 16:41
Arrived after noon today with a litre of "Walking Johnny", no problems...

Jetjock330
2nd Jan 2018, 03:25
Is it true this doesn't apply to Etihad and other airlines in UAE?

No change from 2 days ago, 31 Dec 17. All still the same.

Eau de Boeing
2nd Jan 2018, 03:27
Not true, just saw an F/O get shown the rubber glove room for having a bottle of wine in his bag during the morning arrivals.

hulabaloome2
2nd Jan 2018, 03:33
So as usual on here two versions of the same story....some walking through with their Johnnie and some getting pulled.....where’s the truth?

GillEx737
2nd Jan 2018, 04:04
I came through from a flight with a couple of 'test' bottles yesterday with no issue so really not sure.

nolimitholdem
2nd Jan 2018, 04:10
So as usual on here two versions of the same story....some walking through with their Johnnie and some getting pulled.....where’s the truth?

Can they not both be true? Since when was anything consistent whatsoever in that eff-ed up place?

Townie
2nd Jan 2018, 07:03
What about on the freighter where you walk through duty free on arrivals, or other airlines who exit via the terminal at dxb? Is it a ban on duty free from abroad, or duty free period?

I suspect the former, as the shop is still open at arrivals in EGHQ, and the press release says "any purchases abroad...." If it's ok to buy from DDF then the hypocrisy is clear to see.

Maybe someone will correct me, as I don't buy anything in the HQ arrivals shop. Are the cigarettes/perfumes duty free in there? Are they just concerned for our livers, but could care less about the lungs? For sure the DDF shop on exit at DWC is the real deal.

Monarch Man
2nd Jan 2018, 09:46
You got it in one, exactly as you described.

Jetjock330
2nd Jan 2018, 11:23
Not true, just saw an F/O get shown the rubber glove room for having a bottle of wine in his bag during the morning arrivals.
And another one had no issue with one bottle in the suitcase yesterday.

The Outlaw
2nd Jan 2018, 12:54
I say go ahead and keep bringing all the duty free in that you want despite being told its against the rules of the day. Eventually you'll be asked by your CP why you feel you can break the rules they have so taken vast amounts of pride in making up just to remove any modicum of respect, love or fondness you may have had for the job. They also will start looking to see what other rules you've been breaking. Who knows, maybe you'll be invited to submit your resignation or asked to leave your "A" fund as a donation to help the under privileged get a house, property, wife or a newer Land Cruiser.

Personally I don't see it as a big issue. You'll want your CDT below 1.4 anyway and this one of the ways the company will help you set those goals and besides, all the concerts are "dry" anyway.

Water...its the way of the future. I hear tea and Geritol is nice too.

Oh, and speaking of water, there is a nice water park an hour up the road. Sometimes I get lost along the way and find a small resort close by...now if I could only remember the name of it....hmmm :confused:

GillEx737
3rd Jan 2018, 04:04
Oh, and speaking of water, there is a nice water park an hour up the road. Sometimes I get lost along the way and find a small resort close by...now if I could only remember the name of it....hmmm :confused:

Oh yes...on the way to Dreamland. How apt!

springbok449
3rd Jan 2018, 05:28
Let’s face it, customs have probably been given the directive by EK, it is not first time!

Remember when we were made to go via EGHQ instead of going straight through the terminal so that we could catch a flight home? EK blamed that on the authorities too, yet I asked the officials and they knew nothing about it...

Same story with not being allowed to bring an extra bag with you on a trip rule...

falconeasydriver
3rd Jan 2018, 10:19
Went through the other Dubai airport afternoon of the 1st, purchased 4 litres for an EK mate at the DDF shop just past the scanners. No problems at all, probably helped that I’m no longer EK and was dressed in my work shirt and tie, not a pilots uniform.

JAARule
3rd Jan 2018, 13:31
What about on the freighter where you walk through duty free on arrivals

Are the cigarettes/perfumes duty free in there?

Went through the other Dubai airport afternoon of the 1st, purchased 4 litres for an EK mate at the DDF shop just past the scanners

They just want your money spent locally instead of abroad. Spend as much as you like on arrival.

Booze has always had tax on it whereas for everything else the whole city is "duty free" (barring this VAT) although it's not profit free so still a rip off in a lot of cases.

This move will see the popularity of some of the fellas who brew their own go through the roof.

4runner
3rd Jan 2018, 23:44
My Family lived in Pakistan for nearly 20 years. When my Mom would go off to boarding school, and later university, my grandfather would turn her bathroom into a gin still.

Kamelchaser
3rd Jan 2018, 23:50
Booze has always had tax on it whereas for everything else the whole city is "duty free" (barring this VAT) although it's not profit free so still a rip off in a lot of cases.

Can't agree with you there JAA. All goods are subject to a minimum 5% import duty into the UAE. Some more.

Interestingly, try buying a MacBook at Dubai Duty Free. It's the same price as the Apple Store in MOE. However DDF don't pay the import duty. Duty free without the savings. Marvelous business model.

JAARule
4th Jan 2018, 03:03
All goods are subject to a minimum 5% import duty into the UAE.

Is that so... The whole place is marketed as "tax free shopping" in the malls but I guess they're careful not to say "duty free."

And you're spot on... in fact many of the "tax free" prices are higher than the same item priced with tax included overseas however people fall for the hype.

Maybe there's a parallel with the hype, albeit lesser these days, regarding the "tax free" salary paid by EK. No income tax but lower gross than many first world airlines and many other taxing aspects to the lifestyle.

eagleflight
4th Jan 2018, 12:36
duty free ≠ profit free :}

pilotguy1222
4th Jan 2018, 20:18
What about on the freighter where you walk through duty free on arrivals, or other airlines who exit via the terminal at dxb? Is it a ban on duty free from abroad, or duty free period?

I suspect the former, as the shop is still open at arrivals in EGHQ, and the press release says "any purchases abroad...." If it's ok to buy from DDF then the hypocrisy is clear to see.

Maybe someone will correct me, as I don't buy anything in the HQ arrivals shop. Are the cigarettes/perfumes duty free in there? Are they just concerned for our livers, but could care less about the lungs? For sure the DDF shop on exit at DWC is the real deal.

This is for crew arriving at EGHQ. Your family can fly in, with you as a pax, clean out the main duty free @ 5 bottles per person and nothing will happen.

Any goods you buy in the duty free shop at crew arrivals will also be subject to fees. That shop will probably close within a few months if the customs officers stay on top of us.

I will be testing out goods upon arrival tomorrow, but even if stopped and forced to pay, I will still be better off by 25-30%.

Also, if you are not buying your Apple products at computer plaza in Bur Dubai, you are paying too much.

sealear
5th Jan 2018, 02:46
If you buy anything in UAE you are paying too much

pilotguy1222
7th Jan 2018, 21:44

Ha!! Truth.

I did speak with a CA friend of min down the road about 45 min. They do NOT have an alcohol restriction. They were made aware of the possible money owed on items, but no new restriction on what they could bring in.

2 days ago, I did come though untouched with a new 600aed helmet in my checked bag.

GoreTex
8th Jan 2018, 00:37

Thats a pretty good rule of thumb, I followed it for many years

White Knight
8th Jan 2018, 01:00
I did speak with a CA friend of min down the road about 45 min. They do NOT have an alcohol restriction.

Probably because that's Abu Dhabi and not Dubai:ugh::rolleyes: Barring whether or not the missive came at EK's request I think you'll find that the key words are DUBAI CUSTOMS...

buttonmonkey
8th Jan 2018, 18:35
I checked with my brother, a 777 FO with BA and they have been told that the restriction applies to them as well.

Full Flapper
9th Jan 2018, 19:39
Can anyone advise if it applies to foreign crew purchasing alcohol at the in-bound duty free shops?

RedB@ron
10th Jan 2018, 07:14
Got through on the 1st with some Whiskey. No such luck this morning. They confiscate your stuff and have you sign a receipt...FYI.

sealear
10th Jan 2018, 10:54
Probably ends up on the shelf at MMI ;)

Mr Mugabe
10th Jan 2018, 12:07
Sorry guys but rumour not quite true....Seems it came from a jealous SVP Cabin Crew and the question was asked how he managed to get it written on the Customs letterhead. Came back this morning and all the crew had bought groceries in defiance and had their till slips at the ready but not one was stopped on any flight going through security... And it was manic!

TooLow
10th Jan 2018, 13:32
So I just read that our esteemed and most eminent leader has said we CAN, as operating crew, now bring in cigarettes and alcohol, subject to duty and 5% VAT.

What to make of this? Victory or a compromise?

Sheikh Your Bootie
10th Jan 2018, 13:32
Seems the latest missive from AAR is the start of the saving face... Expect Customs to not give a monkeys in a week :D:D

inshallah :ok:

SyB

KippaLippa
10th Jan 2018, 13:43
So I just read that our esteemed and most eminent leader has said we CAN, as operating crew, now bring in cigarettes and alcohol, subject to duty and 5% VAT.

What to make of this? Victory or a compromise?

it's definitely not a victory. not for us anyway.
it's a different application of the same rule.
AAR simply states that we are NOT allowed the duty free allowance of 4 litres of alcoholic beverages and cigarettes and everything else....
only difference is that instead of having the merchandise confiscated we will have to pay custom duty and VAT.
now the question is:
how much is the custom duty on these items?

KippaLippa
10th Jan 2018, 14:00
and here is the answer:
FAQs from the Dubai customs website...

​"What is the rate of Customs duty in Dubai?
​Five per cent of the value in CIF (Cost Freight Insurance) terms except for alcohol and cigarettes. 50% Duty payable for alcohol while 100% for cigarettes."

which means that what Mr AAR is saying is:
"yes you can now bring alcoholic beverages when operating.... but you will want to.
And if you will, we will make an horrendous amount of money on you."
He also wanted to add "hehehe" but couldn't due to his position in the airline management

regards,
KL

givemewings
10th Jan 2018, 17:29
He also wanted to add "hehehe" but couldn't due to his position in the airline management

:E :D Nice one

sealear
11th Jan 2018, 02:22
Hahaha. It gets better every day. I eagerly await the next spectacle each time I arrive back in dxb.

Got2luvem
11th Jan 2018, 05:21
So if I buy a couple of bottles in a supermarket ( NOT DUTY FREE ) downroute, CDG, LHR AMS for example and have already paid that countrys tax, vat etc.... will my purchases still be liable for the additional DXB tax ?

Big Enos Burdette
11th Jan 2018, 05:49
Every crewmember's bag being opened and checked at arrivals this morning. Queue back to the eGates.
Duty and VAT has to be paid on alcohol and cigarettes...plus the 75 AED "documentation" fee.
The best bit...the money can only be paid in Terminal 3, so purchases are taken off you and you must go to T3 to pay and retrieve them.

motley flight crue
11th Jan 2018, 06:07
Long wait after long flight. This is the kind of crap that makes me lose my cool. I’m sure I’ll mouth off to the customs and probably get fired. Who cares now anyway. Big trouble ahead when you need to pilfer from your hard working staff.

SOPS
11th Jan 2018, 08:03
Every crewmember's bag being opened and checked at arrivals this morning. Queue back to the eGates.
Duty and VAT has to be paid on alcohol and cigarettes...plus the 75 AED "documentation" fee.
The best bit...the money can only be paid in Terminal 3, so purchases are taken off you and you must go to T3 to pay and retrieve them.

What is wrong with the Xray machines to check the bags? Or are they just trying to really make people angry?

fatbus
11th Jan 2018, 08:12
Caring company , caring country!!!! The wheel have all fallen off and the fat lady is warming up. Soon a 3 world airline operated by 3rd world crew ! Slipping down the rankings very fast.

BANANASBANANAS
11th Jan 2018, 09:05
Makes you wonder what's coming next doesn't it?

White Sausage
14th Jan 2018, 05:44
Got pulled over by customs at HQ for a bottle of beer. The customs lady was very friendly and apologetic and told me that it wasn’t their idea but that it came from EK. When asked by whom she said AAR himself had told customs to do this. She said they all hoped it would stop soon and revert back to normal like before because it caused too much tension and stress. According to her they also hate this new procedure.
So it seems it’s just another way of stealing from its own employees again. How come I’m not surprised at all???

GoreTex
14th Jan 2018, 15:31
I dont understand why people still work for EK, how much shafting can one take?
No, I dont want you to leave because I use my staff tickets 4 times per year and I need experienced pilots to fly me, its just that I don't get it why someone would work for them.

White Sausage
14th Jan 2018, 17:38
No, I dont want you to leave because I use my staff tickets 4 times per year and I need experienced pilots to fly me, its just that I don't get it why someone would work for them.

Believe me, I’m on my way out after 16 years. Cannot stand this **** no more. And I’m not the only one. I’d say 90% of colleagues I talk to are looking for an exit, Captains and FOs alike. Can’t wait to see this outfit come to a standstill. It is so sad, I never thought I would say that but this place has become so bad, and so unnecessarily. What a shame and disgrace :ugh:

SOPS
14th Jan 2018, 22:32

Careful mate...Harry will be on to you extolling the virtues of EK:E

harry the cod
15th Jan 2018, 14:26
Keep fishing.......

Harry

LHR Rain
15th Jan 2018, 20:45
Harry and many others like and defend Emirates.
At some point and I don’t know when even they are going to have to see the light at what EK is doing to us and throw in the white towel.

Hypoxic01
18th Jan 2018, 09:04
We are the chosen one.

Mango
18th Jan 2018, 09:11
Any word from QF crew regarding this issue?

sealear
18th Jan 2018, 12:43
So the latest email says it applies to all airlines. Another lie?

So if I bring in a bottle of wine (or 5) it is 50% customs + 5% VAT + 100 dhs in fees and a trip to terminal 3 and back.

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE JOKING.

White Sausage
18th Jan 2018, 14:37
So the latest email says it applies to all airlines. Another lie?.

Yes it is. The customs lady told me it applies only and exclusively to EK and that AAR had ordered it. Go figure :ugh:

SOPS
18th Jan 2018, 14:39
A lesson in how to improve crew morale.

kcar
18th Jan 2018, 15:43
This BA memo clarifies the subject

https://imgur.com/a/pM6b2
https://imgur.com/a/pM6b2

HiflierEK
18th Jan 2018, 16:03
They just posted an update confirming the process and charges to crew bringing in on the cabincrew portal. The cabin crew are able to comment below it and they are not holding back their anger. They are on fire giving exactly what they think of this rule and the company. Worth a read if you can access.

sealear
18th Jan 2018, 19:26
Who needs company emails anymore when BA memos are more accurate! What a disgrace

highlight
18th Jan 2018, 19:57
Who needs company emails anymore when BA memos are more accurate! What a disgrace

100% agreed. Man, you hit the nail on the head. What a friggin' disgrace!

donpizmeov
19th Jan 2018, 09:30
The correspondence we receive from the company about this is beyond disturbing. And still these muppets have no idea why no-one has any respect for them.

bongo bongo
19th Jan 2018, 18:13
what does EK gain from this new policy?

Emma Royds
19th Jan 2018, 23:10
To make more revenue from their own crew.

SOPS
20th Jan 2018, 03:44
I am amazed that UAE customs is now seemingly under the control of Emirates!
The customs guys don't like the new policy and chatting to the guy in charge of customs at EGHQ the other evening he said it had come from Emirates and that "we should contact our line managers if we had suggestions" - he almost said it word for word from the AAR email!

Maybe UAE customs should grow a pair and tell EK to go take a hike!

I don't think they are 'UAE Customs', but Dubai Customs. The guy that ' owns' Customs owns the Airline, so if he instructs that EK now runs customs, well so be it.

You imagine this scenario. Big man in EK rings up Big Big Big Boss and says 'I have a great idea to raise revenue. We stop the 26000 EK crew being able to bring in Duty Free. They either have to pay Tax and Fees at the border, or buy their booze and cigarettes in Dubal and pay tax on them when they buy them., it will raise millions!!!' The result of this suggestion is what you now see....I'm just thinking aloud here.....

givemewings
20th Jan 2018, 05:13
The cabin crew are able to comment below it and they are not holding back their anger

Don't worry they'll soon shut off those comments just like they have on every other 'update' that doesn't get glowing praise heaped upon it...

Divertnow
22nd Jan 2018, 11:03
Seems like there’s been a lot of feedback sent to the company about the duty free allowance rules. There’s a new post from the company on groupworld about the issue. Suffice to say it’s a cut and paste of the procedures we already knew and stating the policy applies to all carriers and is a Dubai Customs rule. 🤔

ClassCbird
22nd Jan 2018, 12:19
Ladies/Gents,
I haven't been to MMI for a while, so out of interest can anybody tell me how much roughly prices have increased there? (Methinks maybe a little more than 5%?)

If Dubai are so keen on enforcing duty on liquor, then can we expect clamp downs on UAQ Road trips?? I hope not! :{

fliion
22nd Jan 2018, 12:54
Road trips?

If you spend a 1000, free delivery from the establishment I use up the coast within 48hrs

Won’t use MMI on principle anymore. Just ask any senior CC and they will tell you the outlet.

P7xkk
22nd Jan 2018, 14:23
Don’t forget Centaurus. Very handy home delivery service......

flareflyer
23rd Jan 2018, 04:48
It seems the ban has been lifted....
We really are managed by clowns.....