PDA

View Full Version : Sir Nick Clegg?

Kelly Hopper
26th Dec 2017, 20:44
Or how about "Sir" my postman, who acctually does a job everyday?

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
26th Dec 2017, 20:50
This only serves to reinforce my belief that there really is an "us and them" culture and taking care of the boys is paramount. Performance is in no way related to reward. I always suspected it, but after Mandelson and Kinnocks' constant resurrection followed by high paying EU appointments and then peerages I became convinced.

Now this.

NEO

Kelly Hopper
26th Dec 2017, 21:07
The pisstake is so in your face I find it incredulous? A knighthood for 5 years supporting the government but no knighthood for the pm IN government? Not that I would condone that but this is yet another pat on the back, pension, jobs for the boys, et al at taxpayers expense for failed politicians. Why do we let them get away with it? What would it actually take to get the masses marching on westminster?

andytug
26th Dec 2017, 21:10
Should have been an O.B.N.

goudie
26th Dec 2017, 21:13
More appropriate, an OBE. 'Other Bastards Efforts!

G-CPTN
26th Dec 2017, 21:28
It will be interesting to see whether NC holds to his 'promise' to refuse a place in the House of Lords.
Maybe this was his consolation prize?

Pontius Navigator
26th Dec 2017, 21:41
Surely being knighted is like getting a free medal only more expensive. New suit, hairdo and dress for the Mrs, bew stationery but no more money!

Will he be Sir Nick, as in Devil, or Sir Nicholas?

NutLoose
26th Dec 2017, 22:51
It does bug me that they hand out knighthoods to people who have does nothing but their job, and handing them out to Sports achievers for winning a race etc is a farce, especially as they get very well paid, until they start to hand them out to the thousands of volunteers who work tirelessly in the likes of care homes a, schools and hospices for no reward, often spending their own funds in doing it, then the system will always be corrupt.

chevvron
27th Dec 2017, 04:19
It does bug me that they hand out knighthoods to people who have does nothing but their job, and handing them out to Sports achievers for winning a race etc is a farce, especially as they get very well paid, until they start to hand them out to the thousands of volunteers who work tirelessly in the likes of care homes a, schools and hospices for no reward, often spending their own funds in doing it, then the system will always be corrupt.

You missed out all the actors who get them just for doing what they're paid for.
It's a total farce that this pillock who effectively blocked lots of useful government policies for 5 years should get such a 'reward'.

Wingswinger
27th Dec 2017, 07:33
No Sir Nigel, then. Or Sir Boris, Sir Michael, Sir Daniel or Sir Dominic?

Now there's a surprise.

StAn gelo
27th Dec 2017, 08:00
You missed out all the actors who get them just for doing what they're paid for.
It's a total farce that this pillock who effectively blocked lots of useful government policies for 5 years should get such a 'reward'.

But now he gets another opportunity to try and block Brexit .....

EGLD
27th Dec 2017, 09:41
Clegg is the archetypal career politician who has no morals and acts only in his own self interest

https://i.imgur.com/NlWPYcI.jpg

BehindBlueEyes
27th Dec 2017, 10:25

And don’t forget the pages and pages of military big brass who get gongs just for...wearing fancy epaulettes. Most of them have never faced anything more dangerous than an overheated photocopier in their warm, Whitehall offices, never having seen direct action - unlike the ordinary soldier on the frontline.

Plus the plenty of civil servants who get awards just for doing their jobs. Surely, that means every single one of is entitles to at least an OBE?

VP959
27th Dec 2017, 10:44
Plus the plenty of civil servants who get awards just for doing their jobs. Surely, that means every single one of is entitles to at least an OBE?

It's getting increasingly uncommon for ordinary Civil Servants to receive an honour, and has been for some time. Sure, there are some very senior posts where the holder will be almost certain to receive a knighthood if they keep their nose clean, but the days when honours were handed out, depending on grade, for just doing your job for a few decades have long since gone, thank goodness.

Back at the time I joined, I was a bit surprised to find that our tea lady, who was a rude, outspoken, racist, bigot, received a British Empire Medal just for having done her job (badly) for around 40 years. I was even more surprised a few years later when the head of our lab, who had done nothing constructive in decades, received an OBE.

Back then there was a schedule of honours one might be expected to receive, depending on Civil Service grade. At the bottom were those that could only ever receive a BEM, though MBEs, OBEs to knighthoods at the top.

Thankfully, a decade or so before I retired the system had well and truly changed. I tried three times to get an outstandingly good member of staff an MBE, and failed twice, as the bar had been (quite rightly) raised, and only those who had made both an outstanding contribution and who had a very well written commendation (and there is a definite art in writing those) were even considered for an honour. By the time of my retirement the only honour I could have been eligible for, because of the grade links that were still extant, was a knighthood, and amongst my colleagues I know of only one who received the female equivalent, and in her case it was definitely very well deserved. Not only had she had to battle through a male-dominated system to succeed, but had done so whilst fighting her own personal battle with cancer, and in a way that gained her a lot of respect and support from her staff.

Tankertrashnav
27th Dec 2017, 11:05
I'm not that bothered about Clegg's knighthood. After Geldof got his (albeit an honorary one) I reckoned nothing worse could happen to further discredit an already tawdry system. Even the insignia have deteriorated. When I was in the medal trade I handled a lot of this sort of stuff, and whereas for example an early OBE was a high quality item, modern examples look as though they have come out of a Christmas cracker :*

BehindBlueEyes
27th Dec 2017, 16:11
Looks like Ppruners are not alone - an online petition has already been started:

https://www.change.org/p/sir-jonathan-stephens-stop-nick-clegg-s-knighthood?pt=&source_location=discover_feed

chevvron
27th Dec 2017, 22:28
And don’t forget the pages and pages of military big brass who get gongs just for...wearing fancy epaulettes. Most of them have never faced anything more dangerous than an overheated photocopier in their warm, Whitehall offices, never having seen direct action - unlike the ordinary soldier on the frontline.

When I went to Farnborough, the ATC Assistants (initially Experimental Flying Control Assistants and later re-named Experimental Flying Support Officers so they could use the RAE Staff Mess [which I don't begrudge them by the way])were employed by MOD rather than NATS and hence remained civil servants after the CAA became divorced from the civil service.
One by one they retired and were replaced by NATS employed Air Traffic Control Assistants, and one by one they got an ISM (Imperial Service medal) as a matter of course, in many cases sent to them through the post.

Noah Zark.
28th Dec 2017, 01:06
I don't know what you guys are complaining about. This wretch was my M.P. until he was offed! (:yuk:)
Now we've got Jared O' Mara! Fer Crissake, what a load of :mad::mad::mad:

P.S. I voted for neither of them!

Nemrytter
28th Dec 2017, 10:49
I knew this would rustle some jimmies in here. I was not disappointed. :rolleyes:

Also, to receive an award you have to be nominated. If you want some volunteers to receive awards then perhaps nominating them would be a good first step, rather than bleating about it on the internet?

WingNut60
28th Dec 2017, 11:00
Bob Geldoff, Nick Clegg. Speaks volumes about the true value of the award.

jez d
28th Dec 2017, 12:59
Job titles are similarly meaningless in the modern world.

President in Charge of Paperclips

Senior Vice President in Charge of Paperclips

Director of Innovation in Charge of Paperclips

Replenishment Director in Charge of Paperclips

Revenue Protection Leader in Charge of Paperclips

Executive Solutions Architect in Charge of Paperclips

etc, ad nauseum

Regards,

Lord Jez of Cronyism (not allowed to play with paperclips)

Duckbutt
28th Dec 2017, 13:21
It will be interesting to see whether NC holds to his 'promise' to refuse a place in the House of Lords.
Maybe this was his consolation prize?

Have faith CPTN, when has that nice Mr Clegg ever broken a promise?

https://krupesh4brent.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/nick-clegg-tuition-fees-pledge.jpg

SARF
28th Dec 2017, 16:27
Has clegg ever been on the right side of any arguement or vote?
What things has he ever been right about?

Sounds like he is perfect for a knighthood

G-CPTN
28th Dec 2017, 16:31
The sad thing is that the decision will have already been taken . . .

No chance of a vote of public opinion.

G-CPTN
29th Dec 2017, 23:11
The full list (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42504660).

Gertrude the Wombat
29th Dec 2017, 23:23
Only one non-politician whom I know personally this year, not such a good haul as usual. (I might have missed someone, I only did a quick search, I didn't read the whole list.)

annakm
30th Dec 2017, 15:01
Nick Clegg receives knighthood for services to lying twattery (http://newsthump.com/2017/12/30/nick-clegg-receives-knighthood-for-services-to-lying-twattery/)

57mm
30th Dec 2017, 15:18
Some good news; David Beckham didn't get a knighthood....

chevvron
30th Dec 2017, 15:29
Some good news; David Beckham didn't get a knighthood....
Oh dear 'ow sad never mind.

zetec2
30th Dec 2017, 15:38
Or Lewis Hamilton for that matter - oh goody !.

Bee Rexit
30th Dec 2017, 15:53
Grime Artist "Wiley" gets a well deserved MBE.

Noah Zark.
30th Dec 2017, 17:05
What about 'Call me Dave' Cameron? He was the other half of the comedy act with Cloggy!

G-CPTN
30th Dec 2017, 17:12
Cameron will be raised to the Lords - an offer that NC has declared to be against his beliefs.

goudie
30th Dec 2017, 17:32
Can't see what Dave Beckham has done to earn such disdain. He's done a lot for charity and encouraging youngsters. Have I missed something?

EGLD
30th Dec 2017, 17:44
Grime Artist "Wiley" gets a well deserved MBE.

the white middle classes are obsessed with "grime" :rolleyes:

Can't see what Dave Beckham has done to earn such disdain. He's done a lot for charity and encouraging youngsters. Have I missed something?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/2801491/david-beckham-grovelled-to-the-queen-obe-bid-beckileaks/

G-CPTN
30th Dec 2017, 17:49
Can't see what Dave Beckham has done to earn such disdain.
Have I missed something?

Celebrities lose film investment tax appeal case (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5222683/Celebrities-lose-film-investment-tax-appeal-case.html).

goudie
30th Dec 2017, 17:55
Point taken but how many of the recipients would stand up to close scrutiny of their financial arrangement and personal life?

Krystal n chips
30th Dec 2017, 18:00
Well on the subject of gushing forth and surprises, here's one lucky recipient who has duly performed as expected with the upgrade....quite how she got the first however, let alone the second, remains one of life's unsolved mysteries given her novels can really only be used as draught blockers... or for the dog to have a chew on....

Jilly Cooper 'did not expect CBE' - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-gloucestershire-42516414/jilly-cooper-did-not-expect-cbe)

On the other hand, as we've now mentioned those who didn't get a letter in the post, spareth a thought for that modest, shy, reticent and self-effacing former sportsperson from....Yorkshire.

Charley
30th Dec 2017, 19:51
Glad Rag,

It was not in Mrs May's gift to decide where the British electorate would place their vote on Brexit.

It was entirely within Mr Clegg's control as to how he would conduct himself professionally with respect to tuition fees.

On this one, you've drawn a very poor comparison by any standard.

Nick Clegg voting record on tuition fees (https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/11812/nick_clegg/sheffield%2C_hallam/divisions?policy=1052)

Fareastdriver
30th Dec 2017, 20:08
So, she lost!

At least she is accepting the result.

Bee Rexit
31st Dec 2017, 10:16
the white middle classes are obsessed with "grime" :rolleyes:

Ok forget "Grime" I should have said ex drug dealer, DJ and record producer.

Gertrude the Wombat
31st Dec 2017, 10:46
Do you really need someone to explain the difference between Clegg's promises on tuition fees and May campaigning for the losing side in a referendum?
One was (admittedly stupid) opposition politics, making a promise that it was expected to be easy to keep from the expected opposition benches, the other was a government minister promising one thing then getting herself the PM's job in order to do the exact opposite, in power the entire time.

Tankertrashnav
2nd Jan 2018, 18:44
Haven't we already got a thread with about a trillion posts on the subject of Brexit? I got bored with it after about the first five!

Can we please stick to moaning about the honours system on this thread? :*

cavortingcheetah
2nd Jan 2018, 22:44
The hypocrisy of the British honors system stands to be apexed on the grandest of scales when a divorcée who is not British and whose husband is still living, marries a prince, whose right to royal lineage has infamously been questioned, that question though never having been completely satisfactorily answered. At the successful completion of this bigamous marriage, the new bride will most surely be ennobled, being raised to the ranks of the peerage or to royalty itself, with or without any intercession from God himself.

Tankertrashnav
3rd Jan 2018, 00:35
He could get an honorary one if someone cared to nominate him, although I fear the moment has passed.

Cavorting Cheetah - leaving aside your tedious reference to Prince Henry's parentage, how will this be a bigamous marriage? Didn't you acknowledge she is a divorcee?

G-CPTN
3rd Jan 2018, 01:38
how will this be a bigamous marriage? Didn't you acknowledge she is a divorcee?

In the eyes of the Catholic church, I believe that they don't recognise divorce?

cavortingcheetah
3rd Jan 2018, 07:26
The Church of England only permits remarriage in church, when one partner is still alive, in exceptional circumstances. That's a Henrician ecclesiastical face saving gimmick which is well suited to the present example especially as it was introduced specifically to favour the remarriage of Mrs Parker Bowles to Charles, Prince of Wales. Henry, the son of the man who would be Defender of the Faith and head of the C of E could perhaps lead by better example. But that is an argument for the clerics and will no doubt escape an auto da fé.
As for the parentage issue, of course past questioning has been infamous because it has been an insult to royalty and the integrity of the Firm but notwithstanding that, it has never completely answered.
This thread would seem to be about the abuse of honours and awards by the crown. Therefore and by logical extension, were the question ever to be answered in an unfavourable light then the past distribution of many titles and awards would perhaps have to be called into question. Those achieved and attained on individual merit would not of course fall into the same category.
None of this matters anyway as the honours system in Britain has been proved, over many years, to have no more integrity than the generosity of an African potentate distributing Jaguars motor cars to his friends and allies, all considerately provided for by British overseas aid for the starving and deprived, rather than depraved, masses.

jindabyne
3rd Jan 2018, 10:12
Haven't we already got a thread with about a trillion posts on the subject of Brexit? I got bored with it after about the first five!

Can we please stick to moaning about the honours system on this thread?

Quite agree TT; but now you've changed it to a divorce thread!:D

Burnt Fishtrousers
3rd Jan 2018, 21:38
A politician so lightweight he'd blow away in the slightest breeze

flash8
3rd Jan 2018, 22:23
A politician so lightweight he'd blow away in the slightest breeze

I think its fair to say not many have sympathy for Cleggy....

Myself think he is fundamentally decent but as Burnt Fishtrousers says extremely lightweight... so much so a simple bit of pressure and the old boy collapsed on a multitude of promises.

Mind you Vince C is just as bad... that guy loves to speak (and hear his own voice) but most of what he says is complete tosh.

Tankertrashnav
4th Jan 2018, 00:21
Quite agree TT; but now you've changed it to a divorce thread!

Fair point!

sitigeltfel
4th Jan 2018, 12:53
Vivian Hunt was made a Dame (female equivalent of a Knighthood) in the New Year honours list for services to women. She is also a spokesperson for equality an diversity.
It must be rather embarrassing for her to be the UK boss of McKinsey and Company now that it has been revealed they pay their men 24% more than their female employees!