PDA

View Full Version : Information to be passed on first contact

Black Pudding
26th Dec 2017, 09:43
Hello ATC experts

After departure, when changing from tower to radar, on first contact, Call Sign, SID and passing level/altitude. Do we have to say what we are climbing to or can we omit this information as you should already know what the SID clearance is ? or do we have to say our altitude/flight level target every time ? My view is not, but want to clarify.

When changing from one radar sector to another, if we are climbing or descending, do we have to mention passing altitude/flight level. ? Again, my view is not, but want to clarify.

Any pointers and reference most welcome. Looked in CAP513 but could not find exact requirements regarding the above.

2 sheds
26th Dec 2017, 12:12
Black Pud
Don't know where you were looking, but - for UK -from CAP413...
Pilots of aircraft flying Instrument Departures (including those
outside controlled airspace) shall include the following information on
initial contact with Approach Control (see also Chapter 6 Approach
Phraseology paragraph 6.2):
1. Callsign;
2. SID or Standard Departure Route Designator (where appropriate);
3. Current or passing level; PLUS
4. Initial climb level (i.e. the first level at which the aircraft will level off
unless otherwise cleared. For example, on a Standard Instrument
Departure that involves a stepped climb profile, the initial climb level
will be the first level specified in the profile).

2 s

parishiltons
7th Jan 2018, 07:14
Hello ATC experts

After departure, when changing from tower to radar, on first contact, Call Sign, SID and passing level/altitude. Do we have to say what we are climbing to or can we omit this information as you should already know what the SID clearance is ? or do we have to say our altitude/flight level target every time ? My view is not, but want to clarify.

When changing from one radar sector to another, if we are climbing or descending, do we have to mention passing altitude/flight level. ? Again, my view is not, but want to clarify.

Any pointers and reference most welcome. Looked in CAP513 but could not find exact requirements regarding the above.

Clearly the requirements can vary by country and not be totally standardised to ICAO Annex 10 so you would need to check each country's AIP, or hope that Jepp accurately reproduced it in your EFB.
Assuming you are operating in a surveillance environment (for which the tower has a feed, so they see the same as Departures does - radar is getting a bit old-fashioned these days). The SID is assigned in accordance with standardised procedures, so it is normal for tower, departures and the first en route sector to know what to expect - and exceptions are coordinated, either electronically, or in locations with older tech, by voice. So typically on first contact with Departures after becoming airborne, you would state ACID, wake turbulence category (only if heavy or super), level passing and most recent assigned level. Intermediate levels in a SID do not count as that is part of the SID procedure. You are expected to read back the highest level you are cleared to by ATC, regardless of what is on the SID or what is in your flight plan. ATC will use reported level passing to do an accuracy check on your level as reported by your radar or ADS-B transponder and assigned level to ensure it matches the level that you have entered into the FMS (which the aircraft downlinks automatically via Mode S to ATC systems). Some locations my require you to read back the assigned SID, too but that would be a procedure specific to an airport or State, and would be because it is used as a control/barrier in their SMS against error.

Once you are up there, assuming you are still in a full surveillance environment, subsequent voice frequency changes require only ACID and assigned level (or bounding levels, if you are operating on a block level clearance - and remember to tell the next operating pilot about the current block when you go on a crew rest break!). Again, in a full surveillance environment, ATC can see on ADS-B or radar what your current level is, which was verified as accurate when you first contacted Departures and remains valid so long as you remain in ADS-B or radar coverage.

If you are using datalink rather than voice, ATC would expect you to downlink a position report when first contacting a new data authority. When out in the middle of the ocean, ADS-C also downlinks your level, in accordance with the periodic contracts.