PDA

View Full Version : To all those working Christmas.

LeftBlank
25th Dec 2017, 13:42
Thank you.

Iím packing my bags for a trip across the Pond but donít mind as my new employer has made it clear how much he appreciates me working today. :D

To all the other airport staff and Air Traffic Controllers who are carrying on professionally today often with little or no thanks - have a good Christmas when you get home and remember that despite their protestations about how essential they are to whatever part of aviation you work in, there will be virtually no office based managers in today.
Everything will run more smoothly and there will be a lot less bs! Enjoy.

sitigeltfel
25th Dec 2017, 20:28
Hopefully these guys had a quiet Christmas shift.....

//youtu.be/CgjyHGsL1-8

Trossie
25th Dec 2017, 22:22
Small cog, you are either in the wrong part of the world or you need to 'lighten up' (bah humbug!). If you 'love' approving allowances on 25th Dec then
I can see that you will have a great fan-base. Do you have a life?

LeftBlank, had a brief chat to the crew who took me off to work today and they echoed almost exactly what you said!

ehwatezedoing
26th Dec 2017, 09:48
You may find that odd? Funny thing is that I donít have to work, havenít had to work for many years thanks to a lottery win.
But you do and on the 25th of Dec. :confused:

TURIN
26th Dec 2017, 10:03
I worked last night. As I walked out of the security gate in the wee small hours, exchanging pleasantries and a hand shake with the chap manning the gate, I glanced back across the apron. I felt I should have flicked a switch and turned off the lights as it seemed not a soul was working, no aircraft noise or vehicles moving. Ho hum.
Anyone who chooses to work during a public holiday needs to re-evaluate their lifestyle. Family comes first.
Yuletide,Feast of Midwinter, solstice salutations to you all.

Trossie
26th Dec 2017, 10:07
Are we to understand then you are a slave and worship at the teat of money, not for the love of your job? ...
... and ...
... Funny thing is that I donít have to work, havenít had to work for many years thanks to a lottery win.

Ahhh ... It's good to see how that 'teat of money' can get bloated by 'a lottery win'!! I would definitely worship one like that!!

Agreed on the 'family comes first'.

Ancient Mariner
26th Dec 2017, 13:37
Fisherman and a sailor for 16 years.
Yuletide working away from home? Ho, hum.
Per

Fareastdriver
26th Dec 2017, 17:15
As I walked out of the security gate in the wee small hours, exchanging pleasantries and a hand shake with the chap manning the gate,
and
Anyone who chooses to work during a public holiday needs to re-evaluate their lifestyle. Family comes first.

Then who looks after your workplace?

Mostly Harmless
26th Dec 2017, 17:22
LeftBlank, that is very nice of you to express your appreciation. Thanks.

Standard Noise
26th Dec 2017, 18:11
I'm the only one of the WMs working in the Tower at Bristol for all four days from 24th-27th Dec, none of the others will have worked more than one shift. Still, I'll have sixteen days leave from the 28th so it's not all bad!:D
HNY all!

dixi188
26th Dec 2017, 20:01
When I saw the EULESS title I thought it was something about Brexit. Or did I miss something?

Hydromet
26th Dec 2017, 21:56
Not necessarily. The two aren't mutually exclusive.
Some years ago we had a contract that required measurements to be taken during floods at a particular site. On Christmas eve, we received a forecast of flood-producing rain. As all my staff had small children, and mine were of high school age, I didn't feel it was fair to ask them to work on Christmas day. Younger daughter was eager to earn some pocket money, so I hired her as a casual. We went to Christmas eve church, then started driving to work at 0400, worked all day and were back at 1800 for Christmas dinner.
The funny thing was, when she returned to school the next year, kids who had spent Christmas at exotic locations doing expensive things were envious of my daughter's day in the bush chasing floodwaters.

G-CPTN
26th Dec 2017, 22:44
A few years ago, I met a man who worked Christmas Day at the local chipboard (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particle_board) factory.
He said that the 'bonus' that he was offered was something that he just couldn't refuse (I suspect that it was quadruple pay).
He merely rearranged his Christmas for a different day . . .

svhar
26th Dec 2017, 22:59
When I was single I requested to work during Christmas. Being away from all this and being paid double or more. Best Christmases ever.

ian16th
27th Dec 2017, 08:43
The Scots always used to volunteer for Xmas duties, so that they could have the New Year off to celebrate their heathen Hogmanay.

Then Harold Wilson messed it all up by making New Years Day a holiday in England & Wales.

ExSp33db1rd
27th Dec 2017, 09:00
.......no office based managers in today.
Everything will run more smoothly and there will be a lot less bs!

I recall when BOAC pilots were proposing a strike, it was observed that the office wallahs would take 3 weeks to process all the paper work that is daily produced, before they noticed that aircraft weren't actually flying !

TURIN
27th Dec 2017, 12:45
and

Then who looks after your workplace?

My post was in response to Small Cog.

Neither I or the security guards have a choice about working on bank holidays, unless you think resigning is an option.

Blues&twos
27th Dec 2017, 23:16
I think you're mixing up "won't" with "don't like" small cog. I work as an engineer in a non-aviation service industry which runs 24 hours a day 365 days a year. I love the work and the challenges. I don't like working 'out of hours' as I have a family with whom I'd rather be spending time. I accept that 'out of hours' and callout is part of my job, but I'll never enjoy that aspect of my employment.

TURIN
28th Dec 2017, 01:11
Small cog I think you are getting a bit worked up over nothing.

Some HAVE to work on bank holidays. Some, such as yourself choose to.

There is a difference.

There was a time when airports virtually shutdown over xmas. No more, the public apparently want to fly, even on such a day.
When I started in this industry the chances of me working xmas day were very small. Nowadays its 50-50. In 34 years this year was the first night shift on xmas day. The worls is changing. :(

newfieboy
28th Dec 2017, 02:16
I just worked Xmas. Try pulling winter covers off your helicopter at -42c with a windchill of -55 on Xmas day at first light to get crews out. Oh and shovel the blowing snow off the pad so as not to go IMC on lift off.
Sitting in a hotel bar having my first beer in 4 weeks. Spent my travel day riding for an hour on a skidoo at -42 to get to frozen lake to catch an hour long ride in a Caravan to civilization, followed by a four hour ride in a crew bus on frozen snow covered roads to get where I am tonight.
Tomorrowís adventure starts at 4am with two Air Canada flight totaling 9 hrs just to get home on time off. Pretty hard core, but hey ho, making good money while everyone else spending over Xmas. The wife donít care either, she on a cruise!!!!

jolihokistix
28th Dec 2017, 03:55
Monday, a tiny noodle shop in Kyoto on Christmas Day. The waitress commented to the manageress, "The whole place is full of foreigners!"
She meant not only the restaurant, but the whole shopping arcade and beyond that Kyoto itself. It did not cross her mind that some of them might understand Japanese.
The manageress answered, "They take their holidays at a different time to us."

Ascend Charlie
28th Dec 2017, 06:23
Newfie, I am flabbergasted at the conditions you have to operate in. We are spoilt rotten here in Oz with fabulous weather all the time in most places (but Melbourne is more like Newfoundland) and only once did I have to uncover a snowed-in chopper from the ski fields. You have my respect, and I have been in the industry for 45 years.

Clare Prop
28th Dec 2017, 14:10
I financed much of my flying by milking cows for an agency. I could get paid triple time for milking on Christmas day. Much better than having to spend it dealing with some of the bovine relatives around the dinner table.

funfly
28th Dec 2017, 22:30
Ah, Christmas in Dubai in 1984, Intercon Hotel placed a bottle of Chablis in the room and hung up a small red sock on the end of my bed with an apple and a kit-cat in it.
FF (in remembering mode)