PDA

View Full Version : Radio Caroline

Effluent Man
24th Dec 2017, 09:52
As an original listener to this station from it's inception at Easter 1964 I just discovered that they have restarted broadcasting from the Cobra Mist aerial on Orford Island (The original radar research site) I have only been listening for twenty minutes but so far it seems quite good, although you probably need to be 50+ to appreciate the music mix.

ZFT
24th Dec 2017, 09:59
As an original listener to this station from it's inception at Easter 1964 I just discovered that they have restarted broadcasting from the Cobra Mist aerial on Orford Island (The original radar research site) I have only been listening for twenty minutes but so far it seems quite good, although you probably need to be 50+ to appreciate the music mix.

50+? Like you I remember the beginnings

B Fraser
24th Dec 2017, 10:53
Is it the same station that can be streamed over the interweb ? I have it playing in my home office at the moment. It's rather good. :ok:

Sallyann1234
24th Dec 2017, 10:59
A nice one for those nostalgic for the 60s.
But one does wonder whether using that huge aerial with a very low power to cover a small area is economic, when the same programme can be received worldwide over the web.

KelvinD
24th Dec 2017, 11:21
It certainly made a great alternative to those evenings huddled around the radio listening to Radio Luxembourg! And without Horace Bachelor of Keynsham, spelled K-E-Y-N-S-H-A-M!

Tankertrashnav
24th Dec 2017, 12:03
I wonder if anyone ever made any money out of his "Infra-Draw" method? Other than Horace himself, of course!

Living in Carlisle at the time we were too far away to pick up "Caroline on 199" except occasionally, and a poor signal at that, which was really annoying.

Krystal n chips
24th Dec 2017, 12:06
Well it wasn't that difficult to replace this unadulterated (rude word ) really....

Kleenex and soft hankies at the ready.....chaps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_wuMnEuQ5Y&list=PLNryPuGhNcDYLNfmWkqKTAx7PpRcr7-TM

Yamagata ken
24th Dec 2017, 12:09
Radio Luxembourg. OK in the summer, but dang annoying after dark in the winter with the dang soviets jamming the signal. Dah dah dah dahdy dah dah-----.

Effluent Man
24th Dec 2017, 12:15
I think that was Radio Tirana. After half an hour of the intro you were informed that every peasant had a share in a pig.

BehindBlueEyes
24th Dec 2017, 12:27
Radio Luxembourg:

Fab 208 - Tony Prince and his rock Ďn roll hour. 10 - 11pm on Saturday nights. Trying to listen under the bedsheets whilst struggling to keep the fading signal, fighting sleep and avoiding my parents catching me. Donít know why I was worried about the latter though? :confused::O

chevvron
24th Dec 2017, 15:23
Last I saw it, the Radio Caroline ship was 'on the bottom' in the mudflats west of Banjul, having been towed there from being a floating disco in the Cape Verde islands. That was in '84.

Pitchpoller
24th Dec 2017, 15:55
The technical guy behind the scenes later bought the ship and made a mint broadcasting anti-UK/US propaganda, on contract to Libya, from the Southern Med.

UKUSA got their revenge by fitting him up for the PA103 bombing. The CIA guy behind Reagan's bombing of Libyan constructed an elaborate hoax involving faked evidence about a MeBo MST-13 timer.

Wholigan
24th Dec 2017, 19:01
Thank you for this. Hadn't realised it was back.

Used to listen to Radio Luxembourg under my blankets with headphones (huge bloody things) at night when I should have been asleep.

Gravitated to Caroline when it started. It started as I joined the RAF.

Listening to it again right now.

ORAC
24th Dec 2017, 19:24
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_252

spInY nORmAn
24th Dec 2017, 21:45
Radio Caroline and Radio Luxembourg listeners should be familiar with this little gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILFsdDcgwdQ

Brookmans Park
25th Dec 2017, 12:06
I made use of Caroline during my CPL/IR course in 1966,much more fun than holding on a boring NDB

KelvinD
25th Dec 2017, 12:34
During Christmas at sea during the Korean War, my Dad thought he would cheer the lads up and tuned the ship's radio to Luxembourg and had it piped to the mess. There was uproar to follow. It turned out, my Dad not being technical, had somehow arranged for it to be re-broadcast fleet wide all over the North Sea!

condor17
25th Dec 2017, 12:44
Thanks ORAC . Reminds me that for the whole Highland Div. fleet , Budgies and Parrots.
You'd always know 'wot no. 2 ADF was tuned to . From Jersey to Sumburgh , Berlin to the Baltic , Belfast and beyond . Music to fly by , enjoyed by the [ youngish ] Old Man. And young co-joes 'n Glasgow gurls. Memory fading , but think some assignations may even have been facilitated by 252 readouts !

rgds condor .

Yamagata ken
25th Dec 2017, 12:53
Thanks spiny Norman. I recognise it but can't place it in context.

It must have been a challenging life on Caroline (and Radio Atlanta which became Caroline North). Weeks of bouncing around in the North Sea on a trawler with a massive mast. A tiny bunk, a tiny studio and the relentless sound of a massive diesel generator. The reward must have been personal recognition and challenging the BBC.

"This is the BBC Light Programme. Welcome to 2-Way family favourites. We have a letter from Mrs Muggs who wants us to play Puff the Magic Dragon for her son Corporal Muggs at BFPO 69.

Tonight at 7 we have Alan Freeman with an hour of Pick of the Pops when we might be able to listen to The Beatles if they get past the hair regulator, or if "I want to hold your hand" gets past the morality police."

Cpt_Pugwash
25th Dec 2017, 14:14
" Living in Carlisle at the time we were too far away to pick up "Caroline on 199" except occasionally, and a poor signal at that, which was really annoying. "

TTN, that must have been before 1964, as Radio Caroline North (http://www.offshoreradiomuseum.co.uk/page323.html) was broadcasting from the Irish Sea from then until 1968. I grew up in North Wales, and Radio Caroline was a big feature of my mis-spent early youth.

IB4138
25th Dec 2017, 14:24
I have received a new Radio Caroline sweat shirt from Father Christmas this morning.

BTW:
Here's the latest : Radio Caroline (http://www.radiocaroline.co.uk/#home.html)

and sister station Caroline Flashback; Radio Caroline Flashback (http://www.carolineflashback.co.uk/#home.html)

annakm
25th Dec 2017, 18:52
Wasnít that impressed, sadly, by the film about Caroline; The Boat that Rocked.

26th Dec 2017, 00:32
Thanks ORAC . Reminds me that for the whole Highland Div. fleet , Budgies and Parrots.
You'd always know 'wot no. 2 ADF was tuned to . From Jersey to Sumburgh , Berlin to the Baltic , Belfast and beyond . Music to fly by , enjoyed by the [ youngish ] Old Man. And young co-joes 'n Glasgow gurls. Memory fading , but think some assignations may even have been facilitated by 252 readouts !

rgds condor .

Great station Shame it went. used to listen all the way as far as YYZ across only on ADF2 of course

aerobelly
26th Dec 2017, 04:14
Tonight at 7 we have Alan Freeman with an hour of Pick of the Pops when we might be able to listen to The Beatles if they get past the hair regulator, or if "I want to hold your hand" gets past the morality police."

<Cough> 4pm Sunday. And, and, and The Beatles had their own 1 hour show on the Light Programme which was at 5pm -- possibly on Thursdays. That was a day not to dawdle home from school with an experimental cigarette on the canal tow-path. Now available on CD in part. The music not the gaspers, which I never took up thankfully.

Mine's the grey Scout anorak with the Parlophone singles in the map pouch on the chest. Ta.

'a

olympus
26th Dec 2017, 17:26
I prefer this version (immediately takes me back to the three years I spent in Beirut in the seventies-great memories)-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkfrNrVuNgE

Yamagata ken
27th Dec 2017, 09:11
That's my point aerobelly. Top of the Pops on Thursday plus a couple of slots on radio for "Not Puff the Magic Dragon". And when the BBC reorganised to Radio 1 etc., they still stuffed up. The BBC got Jimmy Savile and Tony Blackburn. Radio London got Dave Jensen (who knew about music) and Kenny Everett (truly entertaining) if IIRC.

I'll forgive BBC TV for one stroke of genius. Jimmy Hendrix performing Hey Joe live. That was a true WTF moment, as if he'd been beamed in from Planet Tharg.

funfly
27th Dec 2017, 21:48
Horace Bachelor of Keynsham, spelled K-E-Y-N-S-H-A-M!
Big 'Thank You". Went passed his house couple of months ago and his name escaped from my brain despite having heard it on the radio many times a day during my youth.

Regarding Radio Luxembourg, few people realise that they made massive gains over the BBC who could only broadcast 4 minute pieces of recordings due to the cut discs they used. Lux had the brilliant idea of recording on the sound track of cine film and could broadcast continual music of up to 2 hours, e.g. concerts.

Anyone here remember the Bennie Goodman show introduced by "Hi'a Sophi", started me learning the clarinet at the tender age of 15.