PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Griffon Crash in Labrador

Labpilot
19th Jul 2002, 12:09
Canadian Forces helicopter goes down in Labrador
Last Updated Thu, 18 Jul 2002 22:08:36

GOOSE BAY, LABRADOR - A Canadian Forces helicopter crashed in Labrador late Thursday night.

There were four people on board the Griffon helicopter. A spokesman for Canadian Forces says there's no word yet on the condition of the pilot and three crew. Lt.-Cmdr. Denise Laviolette said "At this time we're not providing any information. Part of the process when things happen is to make sure that the family members have been notified of the incident prior to putting out information on individuals."

The Griffon was found in a wooded area about 45 kilometres northwest of Goose Bay.

The helicopter was returning from an aborted search and rescue mission when it suddenly lost contact with its base.

It was looking for an overdue boat in the Hopedale area in northern Labrador.

The missing boat arrived safely at Davis Inlet so the search was called off at 3:40 p.m. ET.

About 50 minutes later the Halifax centre was advised that the chopper had gone down.

Another sad day for Canadian SAR crews. Tragically, the latest news is that the two pilots have died, one crew member is critical, and the other is in stable condition.

That Others May Live

widgeon
19th Jul 2002, 12:54
http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2002/07/19/griffon020719

for latest info.

Labpilot
22nd Jul 2002, 00:58
Does anyone know if there have been other incidents of a Bell 412 throwing a tail rotor?

Chopper crash investigated

By MICHAEL MACDONALD-- Canadian Press

CFB GOOSE BAY, Nfld. (CP) --The tail rotor from a military helicopter that crashed in Labrador last Thursday, killing two pilots, was found more than 700 metres from the mangled wreck, a spokesman for the Canadian Forces said Saturday.

While it's too early to draw conclusions, military investigators will draft a preliminary report within days if they discover the downed CH-146 Griffon helicopter had a design flaw that affects the safety of the other 98 Griffons operated by the military, none of which have been grounded.

:confused:

widgeon
22nd Jul 2002, 01:36
Do they have hums installed ?.

helmet fire
22nd Jul 2002, 03:08
A sad day...."That others may live"....

I wish a speedy recovery to the crewmen.

According to the news links posted the machines are fitted with an FDR. Should be intresting.

HeloTeacher
22nd Jul 2002, 05:55
CVR, FDR both.

RotorDroop
24th Jul 2002, 05:34
Greetings all,

I recall hearing a PHI 412 lost a T/R a year or so ago in the GOM. I haven't talked to the crew so this is second hand at best.

Apparently they were in cruise flight at 5000' or so with no pax when the AC yawed and tucked. After many violent gyrations they managed to get the AC reasonably level prior alighting on the water.

The cause I heard was a lost T/R blade causing an unbalanced condition and subsequent Gearbox departure.

Anybody know more?

Brian

Nigel Osborn
24th Jul 2002, 06:22
Anyone who survives a tail rotor and gear box dropping off is very lucky and/or skillful. The big problem is not necessarily the lack of yaw control but C of G.

Some years ago a colleague was flying a Bell 47 on fixed floats over Sydney Harbour at 1000 feet on a filming job, 3 on board. A TR pitch link broke, the blade rotated and twisted off, quickly followed by the other and the gear box. This lot weighed 35 lbs right on the end of the machine and put them 12 inches out of forward C of G. He could not control the machine and crashed through the second floor roof of a harbour side office building, killing all three. The accident was filmed from the harbour and also by the cameraman in the 47 and made incredible TV footage. Unfortunately his kids saw it on a TV newsflash before his wife was told. A very sad day.

SASless
28th Jul 2002, 07:49
The CG shift concern is why I prefer to fly my 212/412's with as aft a cg as I possible can. I get very uncomfy with the cyclic in my lap when haulling lots of people with no baggage or cargo in the tailboom. I notice that very few pilots I fly with seem to consider this when loading the aircraft.....given a choice I will always shift weight to the rear.

GLSNightPilot
28th Jul 2002, 19:20
Information on the PHI 412 that lost a t/r blade can be found here:

NTSB Report (http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?ev_id=20001212X18996&ntsbno=FTW99LA162&akey=1)