PDA

View Full Version : How do you all find the time ?

Lan Ding Gere
19th Jul 2002, 11:17
Hi guys,

I have noticed that many of you are Pilots, CC, ATc'ers etc. Having worked a long day and even being away on along haul flight, how do you fit in PPrune with your busy schedules ?

I mean do Pilots, FO's and CC take laptops with them for when they are in the hotels.

Might be a silly question, but would like to hear the interesting answers.

Regards

LDG

Bob Brown
19th Jul 2002, 13:04
If you divide the 900hrs max by 26 weeks, as we don't want them to be overworked, they only do 34 hrs pw on average. Divide by 47 weeks like most of the working population and they only average 19 hrs pw.
Now who appears to be overworked/underpaid etc etc...
That must be me then.

OzExpat
19th Jul 2002, 13:31
900 hours a year? Who's the lucky one? :eek: I suspect you're referring to actual flight hours in a year, Bob. What about the surrounding duty time? Most of us work many more hours per week/month/year than the numbers you've quoted mate. I just wish they were true! :p

The REAL answer to your question, LDG, is simple... it takes YEARS of practice! :D

MaximumPete
19th Jul 2002, 13:33
I'm retired.

I thoroughly recommend it!

MP

M.Mouse
19th Jul 2002, 14:24
Bob Brown

I am sure you don't wish to appear ignorant so perhaps a little explanation might help.

I have to report for duty 1hr. 20 minutes before departure. Say the flight is 1 hour with a 1 hour turnaround before the 1 hour flight back. It then takes on average 30 minutes minimum to disembark the passengers, do the paperwork and travel back to our reporting centre where we then get a bus to the staff car park. Now I make that a total of 2 hours flying and a total duty of 4hours and 50 minutes. In reality we often do three and four sector days and can be away from home for several days at a time. If you do the sums we do at least the equivalent of a 40 hour week and funny enough with a great deal of responsibility too.

Having actually achieved close to the legal maximum 900 flying hours per year rest assured it is truly exhausting.

Personally I would like well rested pilots on the flight deck of any aircraft in which I was a passenger.

Bob Brown
19th Jul 2002, 14:26
I guess that all pilots have also had a sense of humour bypass as well then.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
19th Jul 2002, 16:45
I'm an ATCO working part-time so get plenty of spare time, especially being old enough to have the kids off our hands..

How much spare time you have depends on how you run your life.. My wife and I prefer to have as few appointments as is really necessary so we've got acres of time to ourselves.

ETOPS
19th Jul 2002, 20:14
I don't!!

Every time I touch the keyboard Mrs ETOPS shouts " are you on that computer again?" Just check out the time of some of my posts - getting out of bed at 0300L just to check this site is really sad.......

M.Mouse
19th Jul 2002, 22:52
Much as I hate them Bob try using a :D then I might laugh.

If it was a joke then on re-reading it it did make me smile!:D :D :D

VIKING9
19th Jul 2002, 23:08
I'm bored :D

Hotel Tango
20th Jul 2002, 19:21
I think some PPRuNers are professional posers...eh sorry.. posters ;) :D

neil armstrong
20th Jul 2002, 20:57
What we need is a self help group.
But then ,this is the only place i can find out what my managment is doing.

Neil