PDA

View Full Version : Getting back to flying

Zaventem
22nd Dec 2017, 13:46
Hello guys,

I’ve got a question about getting back to flying.
First some background information:
In june 2010 I graduated at CAE Belgium (ATPL, CPL and MCP).
I have around 200 hours and did an IR check for the last time in 2013.
Due to certain reasons I didn’t start a pilot job.

Now I’ve read that my (frozen) ATPL is valid until 7 years after my last IR check. Can somebody confirm?
As times changed, and I certainly don’t want to lose my ATPL, I want to do an IR check in the near future.
My question to you is, what’s the best thing to do? Maybe somebody has already been in the same situation.
I didn’t touch a throttle since 2013.
After getting my medical again, should I contact an ATO? As this is probably the most expensive solution.
Or can I just get my SEP rating again. Try to get some MEP hours afterwards and contact an examiner myself?
Sorry for the maybe stupid questions, but I’ve been searching on this for quite some time.

Thanks!

rudestuff
22nd Dec 2017, 14:57
Do you want to get a job within 12 months, or just keep the ATPL credits?

The cheapest way to keep the credits is to do an SEIR test. If you want to get a job, then pay more and do the MEIR. You don't need to get SEP or MEP revalidated for a jet job.

RTN11
22nd Dec 2017, 16:44
Now I’ve read that my (frozen) ATPL is valid until 7 years after my last IR check. Can somebody confirm?

You may have read this in EASA Part FCL, as it is correct.

FCL.025

(2) The completion of the airline transport pilot licence (ATPL) theoretical knowledge
examinations will remain valid for the issue of an ATPL for a period of 7 years from the last
validity date of:
(i) an IR entered in the licence; or

I certainly don’t want to lose my ATPL

You don't have an ATPL.

Or can I just get my SEP rating again. Try to get some MEP hours afterwards and contact an examiner myself?

How will you get MEP hours with an SEP rating?

The exams will remain valid for the issue of an ATPL for 7 years from the last IR.

Everything is delegated to ATOs these days, so find an ATO (Probably the one you used for the initial) and they will come up with a training plan tailored to getting your IR back up and running, complete the training and pass the test and that's you golden for another 7 years. As your rating has expired, you would not be able to present yourself for test to an examiner without a course completion certificate stating that training as required by the ATO has been completed.

rudestuff
22nd Dec 2017, 17:20
...of course technically you don't need any rating to get SEP or MEP hours. Do some IR training with an Instructor (at an ATO) then take the IR test.

rudestuff
22nd Dec 2017, 18:52
That could never happen. If you've got a current IR then you took an IR test in the last 12 months.

If your IR expires, THEN you've got 7 years before your ATPLs expire. Renew your IR at any time and you get another 7 years. Let the 7 years run out then yes - you'll need to take the ATPLs again.

RTN11
23rd Dec 2017, 03:44
What happens after 7 years of your IR test and you still have not got the ATPL unfrozen at that point but have kept the IR current?

Will you have to do ATPL theory again?

This is the confusion which is caused by using incorrect terminology.

You do not have an ATPL.

You have a CPL and an IR. You used ATPL theory as a credit for the issue of the CPL and IR. You have those licences and ratings, therefore only the renewal terms apply to keep them going.

Should you wish to get an ATPL issued, the theoretical examinations will only remain valid for ATPL issue or 7 years from the validity of the last IR. There is nothing to unfreeze, it is a completely new licence, with it's own issuing criteria, including passing a skills test as with any other licence issue. You wouldn't call a PPL(A) with CPL theory exams a frozen CPL, you wouldn't call someone who has passed the PPL(A) exams a frozen PPL, all the frozen terminology does is cause confusion over what people have, and what they want to apply for.

In the case quoted above, the 7 years only comes into play for the ATPL issue. It has no affect on the CPL or IR, as the theoretical exams would have been used in the relevant validity to issue both CPL and IR.

Zaventem
26th Dec 2017, 13:29
Many thanks for the clear answers. I'll contact some belgian ATO's to get a price offer.

Best regards!