PDA

View Full Version : Intrusive adverts

PDR1
22nd Dec 2017, 09:01
Chaps, this is getting out of hand.

I appreciate that this place is a commercial venture and if we want the free service then the adverts are the price we pay. I don't have a problem with that.

But over the last few months the ads have become more and more intrusive. It's bad enough when they contain loud videos that suddenly start playing, but now they contain code which grabs the focus and scrolls the screen down to the bottom of the page to ensure you see the advert, and when you scroll back up to where you were reading you only get a few seconds before it jumps back to the bottom. It just took me ages to type a reply because an advert kept grabbing the screen down to the bottom of the page.

Is it possible to:
a. Exclude video ads with soundtracks
b. Identify the owners of the adverts that grab the screen focus and pass their GPS co-ordinates to Kim Jun Il for his next missile trial...

0.0001 supplied,

PDR

Sallyann1234
22nd Dec 2017, 09:02
Adverts? :confused:

PDR1
22nd Dec 2017, 09:07
Yes, I could use adblocking software, but if even a significant minority do that then free forums will disappear from the internet (because SOMEONE has to cover the operating costs).

PDR

PDR1
22nd Dec 2017, 09:13
I see others find it just as annoying:

https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/471022-friday-jokes-561.html#post9997910

https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/471022-friday-jokes-561.html#post9997919

PDR

renfrew
22nd Dec 2017, 09:16
Seconded.
The site is becoming unusable.
Also applies to Flyertalk which I think has same owner.

treadigraph
22nd Dec 2017, 09:16
Worth posting it on this thread - Brandi will action it.

https://www.pprune.org/pprune-problems-queries/576072-advertising.html

I had the problem at home (Win10/Chrome) a week or so back, I have temporarily installed an ad-blocker.

Not had the problem at work (Win7/Chrome) and can't install an ad-blocker but it may be that company defences disable such ads.

Hussar 54
22nd Dec 2017, 10:33
Chaps, this is getting out of hand.

I appreciate that this place is a commercial venture and if we want the free service then the adverts are the price we pay. I don't have a problem with that.

But over the last few months the ads have become more and more intrusive. It's bad enough when they contain loud videos that suddenly start playing, but now they contain code which grabs the focus and scrolls the screen down to the bottom of the page to ensure you see the advert, and when you scroll back up to where you were reading you only get a few seconds before it jumps back to the bottom. It just took me ages to type a reply because an advert kept grabbing the screen down to the bottom of the page.

Is it possible to:
a. Exclude video ads with soundtracks
b. Identify the owners of the adverts that grab the screen focus and pass their GPS co-ordinates to Kim Jun Il for his next missile trial...

€0.0001 supplied,

PDR

Is this actually correct ??

I've had the same problem for a week or so, this site and a couple of others that I visit regularly, and assumed that it's my keypad which is the problem with a few a 'sticky' keys.

But now you mention it....

With me, the cursor becomes ' 'frozen ' and invisible as far as the touch pad goes ( but still works with the ' little button ' and can be moved that way ) but, yes, the pages scroll down to the bottom and won't go stay ' up top ' when I use the ' little button ' to move the scroll bar back up to the top of the page. So I have to use the ' little button ' to close the page, go to another page or site, and the problem goes away until the next time.

I was going to buy and install a new keypad because I thought it was, perhaps, the ' arrow keys ' that were sticking, but if anyone else is having the same problem as PDR and myself, maybe I've just saved myself € 175 or so.

Anyone else ??

Gertrude the Wombat
22nd Dec 2017, 10:37
Yes, I could use adblocking software, but if even a significant minority do that then free forums will disappear from the internet (because SOMEONE has to cover the operating costs).
A few have already, in that they refuse to display anything unless you turn off your ad blocking software. A bit weird for technical/professional sites, as they surely must realise that most of their users are at work and subject to work IT rules including in some cases ad blockers that you're not supposed to disable. Never mind, there are plenty of other forums out there.

treadigraph
22nd Dec 2017, 10:41
The ad-blocker I acquired (free but I will donate if I decide to keep it) resulted in an irritated message from the Daily Telegraph website - I think the upshot was I wouldn't be able to even read the free articles. I can choose to allow ads on certain sites if I want to, so seems to work quite well.

Blacksheep
22nd Dec 2017, 13:44
It really is annoying. I eventually resorted to copying the post I was reading and pasting the text into Word.

What fascinates me is that there actually are people out there who believe that by habitually annoying their target market they will make a sale. I won't buy anything off anyone who badgers me in an annoying way. Never have and never will.

VP959
22nd Dec 2017, 13:51
What fascinates me is that there actually are people out there who believe that by habitually annoying their target market they will make a sale. I won't buy anything off anyone who badgers me in an annoying way. Never have and never will.

I feel exactly the same way. Any company that shoves adverts in my face in an annoying way never, ever, gets my business.

Sooner or later I think the goons that play silly games with intrusive adverts are going to realise that it's counterproductive and is putting people off buying the very product or service they are trying to sell.

Gertrude the Wombat
22nd Dec 2017, 14:00
I feel exactly the same way. Any company that shoves adverts in my face in an annoying way never, ever, gets my business.
Same with people who phone TPS-listed numbers? Why would anyone do that? - surely to goodness being TPS listed is telling any potential caller "this guy hates junk phone calls, and will hate yours, and won't buy whatever you're selling, so why not make more efficient use of your time by calling someone else?".

Jet II
22nd Dec 2017, 14:02
I'm not using any adblock extensions and I find browsing perfectly fine on Pprune and other websites with ads being there but not overly intrusive.

I use Chromium Browser (not Chrome) and Linux Mint OS - perhaps time for a change?

Gertrude the Wombat
22nd Dec 2017, 15:32
I use Chromium Browser (not Chrome) and Linux Mint OS - perhaps time for a change?
I have to use Mint at work - there's no way I'm going to inflict that on myself for home use when I have a choice.

pulse1
22nd Dec 2017, 15:48
Interestingly, it seems to be a lot worse on this thread than other threads I usually follow. Bearing in mind the subject, could that be deliberate?

Jet II
22nd Dec 2017, 15:54
I have to use Mint at work - there's no way I'm going to inflict that on myself for home use when I have a choice.

What's the issue?

Downwind.Maddl-Land
22nd Dec 2017, 16:05
Have the same issue as PDR1 on my work log-in - damned irritating! Didn't have a problem on my personal log-in - until I found this thread..... :ugh:

hiflymk3
22nd Dec 2017, 16:16
Same here and it is getting annoying. :ugh:

old,not bold
22nd Dec 2017, 17:35
It's more than annoying, it's driving me crazy! 5 or 6 times while trying to write this post I have been interrupted by a moronic audio promoting perfume or some such, I don't know what the brand is but the audio starts with "Wah Wah Wah". WTF. You can't stop it, the only escape is to log out and start again. For me, it has rendered PPRuNe totally unusable.

IBJoel
22nd Dec 2017, 18:43
Hi guys. We can't do anything if we don't know which ads are the problem. Please make sure to include screenshots.

Gertrude the Wombat
22nd Dec 2017, 18:58
What's the issue?
Same as every time I've tried to use desktop Linux over the decades - incredibly clunky (cf Windows) to do not very much (cf Windows), and whenever you want to do anything remotely interesting (eg, simply connect a network drive) you have to dive into the command line and hack around with config files.

MG23
22nd Dec 2017, 19:00
Yes, I could use adblocking software, but if even a significant minority do that then free forums will disappear from the internet (because SOMEONE has to cover the operating costs)

There were plenty of free forums on the Internet before the arrival of advertising.

Jet II
22nd Dec 2017, 19:07
Same as every time I've tried to use desktop Linux over the decades - incredibly clunky (cf Windows) to do not very much (cf Windows), and whenever you want to do anything remotely interesting (eg, simply connect a network drive) you have to dive into the command line and hack around with config files.

I think you might be doing it wrong. Compared with the ghastly Windoze Linux is a breath of fresh air - and you dont have to wait 5 minutes for it to start and wait again while it downloads a shedload of security updates..

VP959
22nd Dec 2017, 19:16
There were plenty of free forums on the Internet before the arrival of advertising.

I help run a free forum. We've used a relatively expensive approach (not using open source forum software) and have more web server capacity and space than we really need. The total running cost per year, including domain renewal fees, licence fees and hosting fees is around 50, so less than 1 a week.

We fund it by periodically asking members to gift a pound or so. Generally we only need to do this every three of four years or so, as whenever we ask for donations we end up getting way more than we need to cover the costs for a year.

We have very deliberately chosen to be non-commercial, for several reasons, but the main one is that we are not beholden to the wishes and demands of advertisers, so everyone has far more freedom to be critical, but fair, about any commercial organisation that does not perform well, without risking losing revenue.

It's a fact of life that places on the internet that attract a lot of views are attractive to advertisers; a day doesn't go by when we aren't approached by at least one, often several, companies wanting to pay us to promote their product. I can understand the temptation to cash in when offered loads of money (and it is loads of money) like this.

This place used to be run as a hobby operation by Danny, and gained most of it's reputation (and, I suspect, core membership) from that time, but like many other forums it is now just a commercial enterprise, that exists only to generate revenue for it's owners.

There's nothing wrong with that, after all Facebook only exists to collect and correlate personal data, in order to make a lot of money from it. The social network offering is just bait, to get people to give Facebook personal data for free that they can then profit from. The same goes for many, many "free" sites and services on the web. Unless run by a charity or a not-for-profit entity, then all websites are making money from you somehow, even if you can't see it. At least here we can see how the money is made, and as long as the adverts stay subtle and don't interfere with the way the forum works then I think they are fine. I'd rather have adverts than personal data collection, any day.

hiflymk3
22nd Dec 2017, 19:38
Hi guys. We can't do anything if we don't know which ads are the problem. Please make sure to include screenshots.

https://c.s-microsoft.com/en-gb/CMSImages/Surface_HomeOffer_MultiHero2_V1.jpg?version=6ba3fff8-4fd6-0358-1a2f-75d58bfe7c80
This keeps coming up plays for 1 second. Came on twice while typing this. Now very annoying.

VP959
22nd Dec 2017, 19:51
I don't like having to do it, as I think that this forum deserves support, but the advert problem has got so bad now that I've installed an adblocker.

I don't like not contributing by seeing ads, but frankly the site has become so damned hard to use over the past day or two that blocking all adverts was the only way to make it functional.

For reference, I've now installed AdBlock, Flash Block (Plus) and UBlock Origin. This forum is now totally ad free, and I can read, or type a reply, without having the screen taken over by an advert moving everything, including the cursor, to the top of the page.

When the problem is resolved I will whitelist PPRuNe, out of fairness.

belfrybat
22nd Dec 2017, 20:30
It's really their own fault, for being overly aggressive. I didn't mind some banners in the side columns, but when it became a matter of animated, jumping and annoying ads every ten lines of text I installed a blocker.

One news site griped at the blocker. A glance at the counter showed 68 blocked ads, about 60 more than I'm willing to tolerate. The most I've seen is 85. That would have wasted several times the bandwidth of whatever I was interested in and taken ages to load and display even on a high-speed connection.

Gertrude the Wombat
22nd Dec 2017, 22:56
I think you might be doing it wrong. Compared with the ghastly Windoze Linux is a breath of fresh air - and you dont have to wait 5 minutes for it to start and wait again while it downloads a shedload of security updates..
In my experience it takes far longer to load Mint than to load Windows, on the same hardware. And Windows doesn't put reams of gibberish error messages all over the screen in the process, leaving me without the remotest clue whether there is anything actually wrong that I should care about. (Sometimes there is, sometimes there isn't, it turns out. But I can't tell from the error messages, only from when Linux doesn't work after it's finally finished playing with itself.)

PDR1
22nd Dec 2017, 23:42

I would love to, but the ad tries to display full-size in a tiny letterbox window at the bottom of the page. The sound track keeps repeating some crap about a telepathic bulldog and a present. And it's BLOODY ANNOYING

And every three or four seconds as I type this it grabs the screen down to the bottom of the page.

I know you guys are only interested in screwing as much money out of your poster's attendance as is physically possible, but this really is beyond an frigging joke.

If you want to know what it looks like just logg in with an ordinary user's account details for a few minutes - you'll soon see it. But if you don't get it sorted soon you will become the laughing stock of the web...

PDR

Jet II
22nd Dec 2017, 23:46
In my experience it takes far longer to load Mint than to load Windows, on the same hardware. And Windows doesn't put reams of gibberish error messages all over the screen in the process, leaving me without the remotest clue whether there is anything actually wrong that I should care about. (Sometimes there is, sometimes there isn't, it turns out. But I can't tell from the error messages, only from when Linux doesn't work after it's finally finished playing with itself.)

Then you are definitely doing it wrong.. ;)

PDR1
23rd Dec 2017, 00:01
Right - managed to catch it. It's a company called Bulldog Skin Care.

Please spread this name to everyone you know, ensuring that no one ever buys any of their products. If you know anyone who works for this company please shun them.

And shoot their dog.

PDR

llondel
23rd Dec 2017, 02:06
I still maintain that if a site serves ads properly then it'll get them through my ad blocker. If it requires them to use dodgy javascript hosted by some third party then they're out of luck because even if the ad blocker doesn't get them, the script blocker will. I consider my system security to be more important than reading content from a site that insists I disable my ad blocker to read it. Server-side ads would do nicely, then all that appears is a bit of HTML with an IMG SRC tag on it - let the server take the processing load and stop dragging down my PC with the aforementioned dodgy scripts.

Zombywoof
23rd Dec 2017, 03:09
I've now installed AdBlock, Flash Block (Plus) and UBlock Origin.This is redundant, why would you install two adblockers? UBlock Origin will take care of it by itself. I use Adblock Latitude with Pale Moon browser and have never seen an ad on Pprune.

VP959
23rd Dec 2017, 09:56
This is redundant, why would you install two adblockers? UBlock Origin will take care of it by itself. I use Adblock Latitude with Pale Moon browser and have never seen an ad on Pprune.

Belt and braces and sheer annoyance, nothing more. The ads here were driving me crazy, so I just loaded everything that looked like it might help.................

Gertrude the Wombat
23rd Dec 2017, 10:07
Then you are definitely doing it wrong.. ;)
So please can I have your instructions for diagnosing and fixing whatever is going wrong, these instructions not to include messing with the command line or crappy little text config files (all of different poorly (if at all) documented syntax)?

hiflymk3
23rd Dec 2017, 10:17
:ugh:https://www.bulldogskincare.com/skincare-kit-for-men-258
Can't use the forum because of this nonsense.

yellowtriumph
23rd Dec 2017, 10:21
Me too - now installed Adbloc. Impossible to read the site content properly as the ad(s) keeps scrolling me down to the bottom of the screen. I don't mind the static ads around the site, but these videos are just too much. Only seems to have appeared in the last 24hours or so.

PDR1
23rd Dec 2017, 13:28
So it's not just me - it's a general problem. May I suggest that until the collective wit and wisdom of the forum techs find a solution that these frigging adverts be "given some time away" (not a ban - they are perfectly free to infest some other forum...).

PDR

old,not bold
23rd Dec 2017, 14:01
Since my rant about the dreadful Bulldog product advertisement, with which my experience was exactly the same as PDR1, I have now installed Adblocker, so peace has now returned.

Maybe someone needs to read up on the Law of Unintended Consequences. That Bulldog ad > Adblocker.

Like everyone else who logs in to PPRuNE and gets this BLOODY ANNOYING ad, if anyone gives me one of their products (I would never buy a skincare product, let alone some crappy grease sold by these people) it goes straight into the bin.

Is there any chance of the site owners getting a message from this? No-one's life and happiness depends on viewing this website frequently, and we can easily be encouraged never to do so again, by being taken for granted and messed about.

Gertrude the Wombat
23rd Dec 2017, 14:09
May I suggest that until the collective wit and wisdom of the forum techs find a solution that these frigging adverts be "given some time away" (not a ban - they are perfectly free to infest some other forum...)
I don't see them. So you could try using IE11 on Win7.

Blues&twos
23rd Dec 2017, 15:02
For information I am also fortunate in not seeing these advertisements, on Win 8.1/Chrome on the PC and using Chrome on my android device.
I don't have ad blockers.

Jet II
23rd Dec 2017, 15:09
As I dont see these ads anyway so I am just guessing but are they not targeted at the individual - so if you are seeing ads for 'Bulldog Skin Care' is it because you have a past interest in skin care products?

PDR1
23rd Dec 2017, 15:21
My only interest in skincare products would be in devising a sound method by which a chilli-infused version could be returned to its manufacturer personally.

As a suppository.

PDR

(win10/chrome)

Jet II
23rd Dec 2017, 15:26
The only ads that I see on this forum are the ones at the top of the page that are usually for recruitment agencies (which I suppose is quite understandable on Pprune).

https://www.pprune.org/members/45775-jet-ii-albums-pics-picture843-screenshot-2017-12-23-08-24-04.png

Hussar 54
24th Dec 2017, 12:53
Using Win7 + Firefox but no specifically installed adblocker.

I don't see ANY ads on here but do suffer from the ' scrolling to the botom of page and frozen cursor ' two or three times each day.

Strange how we all suffer in different ways....

pulse1
24th Dec 2017, 16:18
I've just installed UBlock. No adverts and no jumping to the bottom of the page.