PDA

View Full Version : Blue Passports to Return!

KelvinD
22nd Dec 2017, 08:39
I have just heard on Radio 4 that the old style blue passports are to be reintroduced in October 2019!
Makes me happy!

treadigraph
22nd Dec 2017, 08:41
I haven't got a valid passport at the moment and was going to apply for a new one after Christmas - I may just wait a while longer!

The only furrign countries I visited in the last couple of years have been Wales and Scotland (and my beloved Cornwall).

Trossie
22nd Dec 2017, 08:45
'Iconic' blue British passport to return after Brexit - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42443253)

Wait for Oct '19 until applying! ;):ok:

denachtenmai
22nd Dec 2017, 08:46
Blue Passports to Return!

That's going to upset a certain Komrad.

Krystal n chips
22nd Dec 2017, 08:54
That's going to upset a certain Komrad.

One had already offered ones opinion on the Brexit thread....now partially edited due to the creation of this thread.

Thus, cut and pasted just for you...... and the other chaps of course....

Ah, jingoism at it's very finest ! .....

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ys-home-office

Any of those so supportive of Brexit thinking of dashing out to renew your passport early perchance ?

The only surprise is that its not been designed to replicate those Christmas / Birthday cards that play a "tune" when you open them up...." Land of Hope and Glory " springs to mind here...or "Rule Britannia "....

Thankfully, it's possible I will never have to suffer the ignominious requirement to carry one as the one emblazoned "European Union" is relatively new

Andy_S
22nd Dec 2017, 08:59
Of all the consequences of Brexit, this has to be the most inconsequential and superficial.

Will they issue it in the old size? I kind of liked the way the EU style passport could be slipped into a shirt pocket.

Effluent Man
22nd Dec 2017, 09:05
Of all the projected "benefits" of Brexit, this seems to me the most superfluous. I wonder what advantages will accrue. I rather suspect the opposite might be the case in certain countries.Anyway mine expires in April '19 so by the time I need another I suspect we may have rejoined.

PDR1
22nd Dec 2017, 09:05
I have just heard on Radio 4 that the old style blue passports are to be reintroduced in October 2019!
Makes me happy!

So what - after the economic disaster brexit will deliver no one will be able to afford to travel abroad.

PDR

wiggy
22nd Dec 2017, 09:23
Of all the projected "benefits" of Brexit, this seems to me the most superfluous.

Yep, but I guess to some it's like scoring your only goal in injury time when you are 10-nil down....

ATNotts
22nd Dec 2017, 09:30
I see a business opportunity to offer passport covers in burgundy that will sell those people who are ardently pro-EU. Currently you can get blue ones to satisfy those who simply can't bear the burgundy version.

One question arises with regarding the supposed start date for this rather silly project, of October 2019. At that time the UK wants to be in the transition / implementation phase of Brexit, and during that time it will have to comply with all current and future EU rules, one of which, I suspect will be the colour of passports.

If the Home Office hasn't thought this one through it could be a tad embarrassing.

Sallyann1234
22nd Dec 2017, 09:43
One question arises with regarding the supposed start date for this rather silly project, of October 2019. At that time the UK wants to be in the transition / implementation phase of Brexit, and during that time it will have to comply with all current and future EU rules, one of which, I suspect will be the colour of passports.
New British passports printed in Germany?

As we will still be following EU rules at that time, it will be necessary to advertise the contract for printing the new passports in the EU journal. There will doubtless be tenders from companies in other countries, and if undue favouritism is shown to a UK company there will be an appeal leading to an ECJ reference.

This could be a very interesting, not to say embarrassing topic. :E

Very thoughtful of the government though, with all grief attending the exit from the EU, that they should spare a moment to throw this little sop to the loyal Brexiteers.:ok:

andytug
22nd Dec 2017, 09:44
You can admire it while you wait to cross the EU border.......you'll have plenty of time!

ATNotts
22nd Dec 2017, 09:50
You can admire it while you wait to cross the EU border.......you'll have plenty of time!

About the same time as it currently takes to get back into the United Kingdom enduring the interrogation of the UKBA Gestapo.

At least one inside Schengen the passport can still be put away, and there will be no delays crossing internal borders.

ZFT
22nd Dec 2017, 09:52
One had already offered ones opinion on the Brexit thread....now partially edited due to the creation of this thread.

Thus, cut and pasted just for you...... and the other chaps of course....

Ah, jingoism at it's very finest ! .....

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ys-home-office

Any of those so supportive of Brexit thinking of dashing out to renew your passport early perchance ?

The only surprise is that its not been designed to replicate those Christmas / Birthday cards that play a "tune" when you open them up...." Land of Hope and Glory " springs to mind here...or "Rule Britannia "....

Thankfully, it's possible I will never have to suffer the ignominious requirement to carry one as the one emblazoned "European Union" is relatively new

And a Merry Xmas to you too. (You do celebrate it?)

CargoMatatu
22nd Dec 2017, 09:56
And very misleading the way the media have presented the story.

It will not be the old format, i.e. big ole cardboard hard-back. And before anyone starts bleating about the newer size being EU design, it's a global international standard.

All that will change will be the cover colour (and wording) - blue ....... just like the French ones! :eek:

tow1709
22nd Dec 2017, 10:05
This is all just another diversionary tactic to draw attention away from the Impact Assessments - or lack of them.

We could have kept a blue colour all along if we had wanted to - the EU does not regulate or mandate passport colours. That of Croatia is not burgundy coloured.

Ironic that invitations to bid for the production of new UK passports were put out shortly after A50, and two of the leading bidders are in France and Germany.

B Fraser
22nd Dec 2017, 10:19
Great, about time too !

I wish you a long and happy life that allows you to outlive your current document and travel on a replacement of the proper colour.

Egon Maybach
22nd Dec 2017, 10:21
last pre-eu UK passport I owned was black?

Tankertrashnav
22nd Dec 2017, 10:24
Arrived in Paris in Sep 1992 to do a 3 month course and had my bag with my old blue passport etc nicked on the way from the airport to my destination. Took the British Consulate till just before I was due to go home for Christmas to come up with a replacement, which of course was one of the new ones. I often wondered who was subsequently swanning around masquerading as me! I dont think there were any slightly overweight, bearded contract killers with their sights set on the French president around at the time!

Effluent Man
22nd Dec 2017, 10:29
last pre-eu UK passport I owned was black?

Quite aptly to quote Basil Fawlty, it was blue-ish.

Jetex_Jim
22nd Dec 2017, 10:33
Speaking in April, the Conservative MP Andrew Rosindell said the burgundy EU passport had been a source of national “humiliation”.

“The restoration of our own British passport is a clear statement to the world that Britain is back. Our British identity was slowly but surely being submerged into an artificial European one that most Brits felt increasingly unhappy about,” he told Press Association.

“The humiliation of having a pink European Union passport will now soon be over and the United Kingdom nationals can once again feel pride and self-confidence in their own nationality when travelling, just as the Swiss and Americans can do.

“National identity matters and there is no better way of demonstrating this today than by bringing back this much-loved national symbol when travelling overseas.”

To which one can only add, "what a prize dick!"

Daysleeper
22nd Dec 2017, 10:38
Wonder if they will do a two for one offer so one can spend all its time in visa offices waiting for permissions which replace the automatic right to live and work in 27 different countries I currently enjoy.

Gertrude the Wombat
22nd Dec 2017, 10:39
Makes me happy!
I would be happy to campaign against - the old ones looked more impressive, but the smaller bendier ones fit a much wider choice of pockets so are vastly preferable unless you're a 100% form-over-function person. (I don't GAS about the colour, and of course we could have had EU blue ones if we'd wanted to.)

ShotOne
22nd Dec 2017, 10:57
Well that is great news!

Daysleeper: "...automatic right to travel and work in 26 neighbouring countries ?" Er, sorry no. But then in actuality you never did with a burgundy one either.

Daysleeper
22nd Dec 2017, 11:02
Well that is great news!

Some wag has posted "will it grant me the right to travel freely and work in 26 neighbouring countries ?" Er, sorry no. But then in actuality neither did the burgundy one.

It emblematic of it though and that is surely the entire point of this story about the colour change.

ShotOne
22nd Dec 2017, 11:10
Yes I agree its emblematic for those on both sides of the argument. But in reality free movement was never a reality for most Brits since local rules materialised to protect local interests. Just ask a ski instructor who's tried to work in France. And visa queues? I've travelled recently to Norway, Switzerland and IOM without ever queuing for a visa.

Daysleeper
22nd Dec 2017, 11:22
Yes I agree its emblematic for those on both sides of the argument. But in reality free movement was never a reality for most Brits since local rules materialised to protect local interests. Just ask a ski instructor who's tried to work in France. And visa queues? I've travelled recently to Norway, Switzerland and IOM without ever queuing for a visa.

Er... all of which are inside Freedom of movement?

On the other hand I spend a lot of time doing short duration high value projects which require the ability to work in the country of destination, not just “visit” as a tourist or turn up for a meeting.
Our cycle time and costs inside the EU are very low and we can be with the client in days if need be. Contrast that with areas where, as a Brit, we need work visas and it takes weeks or months if it’s even possible. The costs can run to thousands and usually it’s pay first and no guarantee of the visa. Sure we factor those costs into the price but it make it harder to compete against companies that don’t have those costs or delays.
So given the current state of brexit, blue passports are symbolic of it simply becoming much harder to offer services to a comparatively rich 450 million friendly people.

Mr Mac
22nd Dec 2017, 11:26
Think I will start using my Swiss one more as Red and White always looks better than the EU one, or even a revised UK Blue one for that matter. Also I use it in certain places, and some how you do not get too much trouble at customs. Perhaps its because the local dictator has got his get out of jail money in a Swiss account ! As for size I think the current one being easily carried in shirt pocket is best, the old UK one was huge in comparison, or at least in my memory.

Regards
Mr Mac

B Fraser
22nd Dec 2017, 11:30
Just ask a ski instructor who's tried to work in France.

A friend of a friend was instructing British forces on the slopes and was promptly arrested when he refused to stop. A dozen burly blokes turned their lesson into, shall we say a "goodwill visit" and he was quickly released.

KelvinD
22nd Dec 2017, 11:42
I don't think the current announcement envisages a return to the old size. I hope not!
Some years ago, I had a fat passport (48 pages?) with another one nailed to the back of it as this was carrying various valid visas. Presenting my passport at the Hungarian/Austrian border one day the immigration officer stepped back in surprise, hefted my passport in his hand and exclaimed "My God! I asked for a passport but you have given me a bible!"
Over the years I used to hold and carry 2 valid UK passports as my job meant a lot of travel between various countries so there was a regime of one being used to travel to, for example, Saudi Arabia, while the other was at the Iraq Embassy, awaiting a visa for that country. Tricky at times, as I had to be careful that the one I presented on leaving a country was the same as that used when entering.

treadigraph
22nd Dec 2017, 11:48
Out of interest if we didn't have to have the burgundy (?) colour, who chose it?

Pace
22nd Dec 2017, 11:52
I see the Royal Mail have refused point blank to issue a stamp marking our departure from
The EU
As they issue stamps for anything it’s odd
They say it’s in respect for the half of the country who see it as a day of mourning
May they can issue one in black ? Passport too ?

Brexit news: Blue passports could be made in GERMANY after we leave EU | Politics | News | Express.co.uk - www.express.co.uk

charliegolf
22nd Dec 2017, 11:59

All that will change will be the cover colour (and wording) - blue ....... just like the French ones! :eek:

Ah, but will it have the Froginese bilingual cack too?

CG

clareprop
22nd Dec 2017, 12:03
Oooo...that'll be pretty. I'll then have two blues and a burgundy.:8

LowNSlow
22nd Dec 2017, 12:07
charliegolf no but, as with all UK official documents it might well be bilingual, English and Welsh!

Alsacienne
22nd Dec 2017, 12:23
"All that will change will be the cover colour (and wording) - blue ....... just like the French ones!"Might a trip to the optician/Specsavers be a good idea? French passports are burgundy just like yours currently are ... but then French nationals can travel on Government Identity Cards.

Might the UK government not like to take this opportunity to issue identity cards at this time?

(I'll get my manteau.)

clareprop
22nd Dec 2017, 12:26
French passports are burgundy

Bordeaux actually ( :8 ) gotta plug the wine.

Nemrytter
22nd Dec 2017, 12:41
Might a trip to the optician/Specsavers be a good idea? French passports are burgundy just like yours currently are ... Not quite, the Brits use a lighter colour of "red-ish" than the French (based on the two examples I've found in the room).

Krystal n chips
22nd Dec 2017, 12:46
Might the UK government not like to take this opportunity to issue identity cards at this time?

(I'll get my manteau.)

Erm, NON !......au revoir et fermez la porte sur la sortie...;):E

ian16th
22nd Dec 2017, 13:12
Wonder if they will do a two for one offer so one can spend all its time in visa offices waiting for permissions which replace the automatic right to live and work in 27 different countries I currently enjoy.
Why should visa's be required?

Before the UK joined the EU I travelled to EU countries without visa's.

I also travelled to and from France on a blue card called an RAF F1250.

Gertrude the Wombat
22nd Dec 2017, 13:16
I had to be careful that the one I presented on leaving a country was the same as that used when entering.

These days the important thing seems to be to show the airline the same passport whose number you quoted when you bought the ticket. Other than that I suspect my wife may be showing her UK and Irish passports at random, just to confuse anyone who is trying to collect immigration figures - I certainly would, if only I were entitled to the Irish one :{:{:{

Daysleeper
22nd Dec 2017, 13:19
Ah, but will it have the Froginese bilingual cack too?

We can change it to Spanish if you like. The languages are set by ICAO so I guess we could leave that as well and then you can put what you like on the passport. It's just no one else would recognise it and you'd be stuck with visiting Skegness for your holidays.

To work in other countries ... why won't they be?

Name a State outside of the EU that a normal British Citizen could live and work in today without having to get formal permission from that State in advance (which is what a visa really is).

sitigeltfel
22nd Dec 2017, 13:23
The remoaners can express their petulance by refusing to renew their burgundy passports when they expire!

Gertrude the Wombat
22nd Dec 2017, 13:49
The remoaners can express their petulance by refusing to renew their burgundy passports when they expire!
We can get another ten years by renewing just before the blue ones come in, and that should be long enough to rejoin.

This only applies to the sad minority of us who don't qualify for an EU passport from another country, of course, which many have already obtained :{:{:{

Pace
22nd Dec 2017, 14:09
Interesting I read a psychological report on why the over 60s voted brexit while the young vote remain
It’s to do with your youth! The older voters were brought up in an era where they saw themselves as very much British and see Europe as outsiders and a threat to their identity

Young voters were brought up in the EU era and see themselves more as European

In this context you can see the Nostalgia of a bygone era of the British passport

ian16th
22nd Dec 2017, 14:22
To work in other countries ... why won't they be?

Name a State outside of the EU that a normal British Citizen could live and work in today without having to get formal permission from that State in advance (which is what a visa really is).
Permission to reside in and take up employment is more then simple travel to or through a country.

Both residence and employment is often done with documents other than a visa. Such as a Permanent Residence Certificate, a Work Permit or the infamous US Green Card, more correctly called a Permanent Resident Card.

clareprop
22nd Dec 2017, 14:40
This only applies to the sad minority of us who don't qualify for an EU passport from another country, of course, which many have already obtained

Indeed...being an impure multi-mongrel has its advantages.:)

fleigle
22nd Dec 2017, 14:51
Imagine my shock and horror when trying to get into Canada this past July, a US green card holder but still a 'Brit passport....I had to have a visa !!!!!!
Bugger !
f

Gertrude the Wombat
22nd Dec 2017, 15:30
Imagine my shock and horror when trying to get into Canada this past July, a US green card holder but still a 'Brit passport....I had to have a visa !!!!!!
Yeah, well, a number of the colonies do that just Because They Can, to show that they're really independent of us now. Funnily enough it's the bigger colonies that show this insecurity, the smaller ones don't bother with this game-playing.

(I was going to add "you ever tried to get a visa for a business trip to India?", but of course the response to that would be "you ever seen what an Indian has to do to get to work in the UK?", and I have, so that one at least can be understood - if we do it to them, they do it back to us.)

Nemrytter
22nd Dec 2017, 16:31

Before the UK joined the EU I travelled to EU countries without visa's.Just in case you weren't aware: It's not the mid-1970's any more.

Grayfly
22nd Dec 2017, 16:48
Interesting I read a psychological report on why the over 60s voted brexit while the young vote remain
It’s to do with your youth! The older voters were brought up in an era where they saw themselves as very much British and see Europe as outsiders and a threat to their identity

In this context you can see the Nostalgia of a bygone era of the British passport

Just to counter that with some facts from my own experience. In my circle of older voter friends, most born between 1945 and 1952, only one of the dozen (good old British unit) or so voted to leave. The rest voted to stay. My children and the children of my other older voter friends most voted to leave.

There's obviously an explanation for this but I have no idea what it is.

ShotOne
22nd Dec 2017, 17:16
Unfortunately the “right to work in 27 nations” is, in the aviation context, largely theoretical and tends to evaporate the instant a local wants a particular job. I can back this up with a number of examples; a close friend had been due to start a F100 contract. At the last moment some French pilots became available at which point his qualifications suddenly became insufficient.

Tankertrashnav
22nd Dec 2017, 17:40
Just dug out my first British passport dated 1963 which was neither blue nor burgundy but a sort of beige colour. It was a British Visitor's Passport which as I recall cost fifteen bob! The official stamp in mine reads "Ministry of Labour Carlisle Employment Exchange" - quite why they were involved in issuing passports I don't really understand. It was only valid for a year and was mainly only valid in Europe, certainly nowhere where you would need a Visa. I visited France, Belgium, The Netherlands, West Germany and Switzerland on mine with no problems whatsoever in those pre Common Market days.

Had my photo done in the machine at Woolies - wish I could still style my hair into the enormous quiff I am sporting in the pic :(

cavortingcheetah
22nd Dec 2017, 17:49
If the Momentum Marxists get into power and enforce capital restrictions, which they have said that they know they will have to, it won't matter what colour passport you have. Older posters will perhaps remember when a UK resident's travel allowance was £50 a year. You won't be travelling anywhere.
On a more upbeat thought, if they bring back UK ATPLs, having dropped out of EASA, perhaps we'll get back those decent little green books and be able to use them as entry and exit documents, just like in the old days before those nasty uniform little blue books came along.

Jet II
22nd Dec 2017, 18:22
Not sure why some posters think you will need a visa to visit other countries in Europe.

VP959
22nd Dec 2017, 18:36
I used to have two UK passports, one for business use, one for private use, plus another temporary business use passport for a trip to Israel (to avoid problems in the ME with my main business passport).

The only time I ever had hassle was on personal trip to the US (back in the days when a visa was still needed) where I took two passports, as the 5 year US visa was in the business passport. Caused more than the usual mayhem at US immigration. For those wondering why I didn't use the passport with the visa for the personal trip, it is because it carried a red stamp in the front saying something like "the holder of this passport is to be treated as if he is a member of her Britannic Majesty's Armed Forces serving overseas". Past experience in Cyprus had taught me that, although a civilian, entering a country using that passport made me subject to military law............

Currently I only hold an Irish passport, and I have to say travelling with it is a delight. I never get any hassle at all, just a warm smile, even from the US immigration guy, which was a first!

Pace
22nd Dec 2017, 19:06
VP959

I have to fly a business trip to Israel soon but only have one passport is this likely to cause me a problem getting it stamped ?
As a pilot I can fly anywhere

strake
22nd Dec 2017, 19:15
I have to fly a business trip to Israel soon but only have one passport is this likely to cause me a problem getting it stamped ?

Absolutely no problem whatsoever having it stamped in Israel.

However, at one time trips to certain countries afterwards could be difficult. I had two passports when I had to go to 'mutually exclusive regions' but I do believe another solution was to get the Israeli visa/stamp placed on a removable sheet.

Maybe things have changed.

Of course, commercial air crew/ cabin crew may have been able to make different arrangements.

Blues&twos
22nd Dec 2017, 19:19
Bizarre.
Passport colour has nothing whatsoever to do with EU regulations. The British authorities changed it to red/pink back in the eighties I believe. The restoration of a random previous colour has got to be the most pointless Brexit celebration of all, especially given that no-one gains anything at all from it.
(Except possibly the French or German printers).

VP959
22nd Dec 2017, 19:21
VP959

As a pilot I can fly anywhere

TBH, no. The Israeli immigration guy asked me if I wanted my passport stamped or not, so they are aware that having an Israeli stamp in one can make life difficult in some other ME states. Our government of the day was just a bit paranoid about it, so gave anyone visiting Israel a spare passport to avoid the problem if it arose.

sitigeltfel
22nd Dec 2017, 19:27
In the run up to the Scottish Independence referendum, the SNP turned everything blue. Hair, faces, clothes were daubed with the colour to show their support.
When Brexit was mooted, they again went into blue overload.

Now that they are told they will be getting a blue passport, Sturgeon throws a tantrum, calling the change "insular".
There's no pleasing some folks!

Pace
22nd Dec 2017, 19:34
Sturgeon throws a tantrum, calling the change "insular".
There's no pleasing some folks!

It is insular, isolationist and retro :E

MFC_Fly
22nd Dec 2017, 19:48
To you, maybe.

Next you'll be wanting us to ditch the Union Flag and adopt the EU Flag instead as the Union Flag can be considered by some to be insular, isolationist and retro :E

SARF
22nd Dec 2017, 19:59
Lovely stuff.. A passport that’s the proper colour and none of that euro crap scrawled all over it ... plus the passport office will probably cash in as people trade in early to get a decent passport.

obgraham
22nd Dec 2017, 20:02
If you lot want a blue one, why not just move to the west side of the puddle?

Simplythebeast
22nd Dec 2017, 20:03
I really dont know why we should have to carry a passport around anyway.....dash it all we INVENTED foreigners!

Above The Clouds
22nd Dec 2017, 20:05
So what - after the economic disaster brexit will deliver no one will be able to afford to travel abroad.

PDR

Yea, but you will need a passport to travel to Scotland or Ireland after Brexit :)

SARF
22nd Dec 2017, 20:08
I’ll think you will find most of that transit will be in the other direction

Daysleeper
22nd Dec 2017, 20:20
Not sure why some posters think you will need a visa to visit other countries in Europe.

No one is saying that. Work however is another matter.

aerobelly
22nd Dec 2017, 20:57
If the Momentum Marxists get into power and enforce capital restrictions, which they have said that they know they will have to, it won't matter what colour passport you have. Older posters will perhaps remember when a UK resident's travel allowance was £50 a year. You won't be travelling anywhere.

My first passport, issued in 1964, has two pages for obligatory registration of "Foreign exchange for traveling expenses" with a couple of entries. Don't want to go back to those days. Although it would be nice to have total expenses of £22 for two weeks in Switzerland once more.

'a

Jet II
22nd Dec 2017, 20:59
No one is saying that. Work however is another matter.

Never had a problem working anywhere outside Europe - if they want your skills then there is no issue

Pitchpoller
22nd Dec 2017, 21:24
you will need a passport to travel to Scotland

I’ll think you will find most of that transit will be in the other direction

Thoughtfully the Scottie government marked out the new upper Forth crossing (Kincardine Bridge replacement) with two Southbound lanes and one Northbound. True, sad but true.

Gertrude the Wombat
22nd Dec 2017, 22:23
Next you'll be wanting us to ditch the Union Flag and adopt the EU Flag instead as the Union Flag can be considered by some to be insular, isolationist and retro :E
Nope. No need to ditch any flag, quite happy to have several, as is normal in many parts of the world.

ShotOne
22nd Dec 2017, 22:24
Nail on head, Jet ll. "If they want your skills there's no issue". Also, regardless of whether in EU or out, if there are enough qualified locals, a rule will be found to exclude you.

ZFT
22nd Dec 2017, 22:55
Never had a problem working anywhere outside Europe - if they want your skills then there is no issue

Really? I would suggest you have been fortunate. My experiences over the past 40 odd years are very different with total disconnects between immigration and labour ministries in many countries making visas and work permits somewhat interesting.

MG23
22nd Dec 2017, 23:06

Since when?

Or are you confusing the ETA with a visa? It's not. Like the US ESTA, it's just an authorization to get on a plane and fly there, so the airlines don't have to decide whether or not they should let you on board.

longer ron
22nd Dec 2017, 23:24
Thoughtfully the Scottie government marked out the new upper Forth crossing (Kincardine Bridge replacement) with two Southbound lanes and one Northbound. True, sad but true.

The new bridge that closed almost immediately after opening LOL

ExSp33db1rd
23rd Dec 2017, 02:51
We can get another ten years by renewing just before the blue ones come in, and that should be long enough to rejoin.

What makes you think the EU will allow you in with a document emblazoned EU, they'll deny it for spite, just because they can ? and Trump will say you are trying to gain entry with an invalid passport, you must be a Terrorist.

Imagine a high percentage of 60 million Brits. all applying for a blue passport at the same time, can't even get through to Petty France to tell them your passport has been stolen. ( I know, I've experienced that )

Krystal n chips
23rd Dec 2017, 04:49
We British are, allegedly, fabled for our stoicism.....and love of queues.

Which is probably just as well with the announcement of the gimmick yesterday. I'm sure all the chaps though will be jolly stoical in the face of this adversity when waiting for several hours to start their hols when going to that uncharted land known as "The Continent " .

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/dec/22/blue-british-passports-could-mean-travel-delays-extra-paperwork

There's a wonderful bit of irony ( current JB word of the moment albeit in this case used correctly ......he said modestly ) in that the unlamented deceased gets a mention....so obviously her disciples on here will, I'm sure, be offering their condemnation of her given her input some time ago. Possibly the one decision she got right really.

And here, who else but, is the Divine Saviour offering his own euphoria....don't worry Nige, some of us have detested you for the same length of time....just for parity in case any UKIP supporter (s)... plural being a just a shade optimistic regarding the party membership.. should take exception you understand.

The good bit, is, that this wonderful new document, is, it seems, just....a blueprint ( now there's nostalgia for you )

https://www.channel4.com/news/passports-to-become-blue-again-after-brexit

Coming next.....AA patrols to resume saluting members.

Adam Nams
23rd Dec 2017, 05:55
We British are, allegedly, fabled for our stoicism.....and love of queues.

I'm sure all the chaps though will be jolly stoical in the face of this adversity when waiting for several hours to start their hols when going to that uncharted land known as "The Continent " .

Coming next... applying online for a tourist visa for the country you are visiting and then going through the electronic passport channel?

Krystal n chips
23rd Dec 2017, 06:15
Coming next... applying online for a tourist visa for the country you are visiting and then going through the electronic passport channel?

Your faith in technology and officialdom is quite touching really....

One senior official said that “depending on how negotiations go on all free movement issues after Brexit” there was a significant risk that British passport holders would lose the right to use a fast-track citizens lane when travelling on the continent and may also be obliged to use a new visa waiver scheme.

The EU travel information and authorisation system (Etias) is modeled on the US Esta scheme and could require British travellers to Europe to register in advance and make a small administrative payment.

Although a chance remains for Britain to retain fast-track privileges if there is further shift in the prime minister’s red lines on immigration, British experts said this looked unlikely. “At the moment, it looks absolutely certain that we won’t be able to go through the European citizens lane because the legal code in the Schengen borders code says it is only for citizens or people with free movement rights,” said Steve Peers, a professor of law at Essex University." [/I]

Mr Mac
23rd Dec 2017, 06:56
I wonder what will happen re Embassy use, as currently if not a UK Embassy in a country we have the option of using the facilities of another EU country. Obviously we will be leaving EU so I wonder if this arrangement will continue, or are we going to be on a massive expansion of the foreign office to match our new markets aspirations.

Regards
Mr Mac

Nemrytter
23rd Dec 2017, 09:26
Unfortunately the “right to work in 27 nations” is, in the aviation context, largely theoretical and tends to evaporate the instant a local wants a particular job. I can back this up with a number of examples; a close friend had been due to start a F100 contract. At the last moment some French pilots became available at which point his qualifications suddenly became insufficient.They had the right to work, though. They just weren't the most suitable people for the job.

Gertrude the Wombat
23rd Dec 2017, 10:10
and Trump will say you are trying to gain entry with an invalid passport, you must be a Terrorist.
WTF has Trump got to do with anything? - surely he'd only be involved if I wanted to go to the USA, which I don't, because if I did they'd treat me like a terrorist, which I'm not, and insist on fingerprinting me, which I just don't do.

Pace
23rd Dec 2017, 14:29
Like brexit this British passport thing is all rather retro
Please the over sixties in rekindling memories of their youth but Retro rather than forward thinking and open

So do I want one ? No thanks stick it in a museam somewhere

Jet II
23rd Dec 2017, 14:41
Hopefully they will also bring back the 10 bob visitor passports from the Post Office - £72 is rather excessive.

Pace
23rd Dec 2017, 15:48
Who wants all this retro stuff I remember decades back flying a light aircraft to Europe you had to land at a uk customs airport with all the time and expense to clear into Europe
You really want to turn the clock back to all that Sh+t ?

Fareastdriver
23rd Dec 2017, 17:13
At least if they have to clear customs at a UK airport they wont be totally lost when they coast out.

Super VC-10
23rd Dec 2017, 17:19
(Disclaimer - not read whole thread)

Of course, once we've left the EU, we can bring back the "British Passport Holders" and "Non-British Passport Holders" queues at ports of entry into the UK. Priority naturally given to British passport holders.

LowNSlow
23rd Dec 2017, 17:22
Pace as I understand it you can leave these shores in your light aircraft but you still have to enter the EU via a designated Port of Entry and when you return to the UK it must be via a Customs approved airfield. Note nothing to do with immigration but everything to do with potential Excise Duty to be paid! Cynical? Moi? Mais non....

EGLD
23rd Dec 2017, 17:41
the over 60s voted brexit while the young vote remain

more fakenews from the remainers

They'll still be European when we leave the EU

For the last freaking time, remainers, please listen up - The EU does not equal Europe

A bit like Scottish independence ironically LOL, someone should tell her

flash8
23rd Dec 2017, 20:58
Of course, once we've left the EU, we can bring back the "British Passport Holders" and "Non-British Passport Holders" queues at ports of entry into the UK. Priority naturally given to British passport holders.

A few years back at Frankfurt (way before the vote) I accidentally joined the non EU channel...

Immigration officer looked at me, raised eyebrow (I swear) and said "Do you British not consider yourself part of Europe?"

Even then they viewed us as a tad dodgy :)

Pace
23rd Dec 2017, 21:21
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/dec/23/blue-passport-brexit-pr-stunt-says-former-thatcher-aide-charles-powell

About sums it up a PR stunt to please the over sixties brexit voters on their retro nostalgia mission

However, by Saturday morning, her move to change the colour of new passports in 2019 was being attacked by some as a PR stunt, as it became clear there is no Brussels legislation stating that EU countries’ passports had to be a certain colour.

Powell rebuked politicians and commentators who have greeted the announcement, saying: “So long as they are content with symbols, rather than substance, I see no harm in letting them have their way. Perhaps we should go the whole hog and reintroduce ambassadorial dress uniforms, as well as bowler hats and stiff collars for senior civil servants.”

SARF
24th Dec 2017, 00:21
If there is no requirement for a certain colour.. why all the ranting about the already scheduled passport revamp having the old blue colour.. if it doesn’t matter why do so many people hate the fact that a lot of people like the old blue colour ?

Krystal n chips
24th Dec 2017, 04:59
If there is no requirement for a certain colour.. why all the ranting about the already scheduled passport revamp having the old blue colour.. if it doesn’t matter why do so many people hate the fact that a lot of people like the old blue colour ?

On the surface, you almost have a point.....unfortunately....you missed out the lures of jingoism and, in the words of one much adored Tory MP on here, symbolism allied to desperation.

As somebody who should, in theory, fall firmly into the wallowing in nostalgia, retro is everything demographic, I would prefer my UK passport to have "European Union" ( being a UK and EU citizen ) clearly marked....but there again, I've never been one of life's conformists.

Now that this supah piece of nostalgia is being imposed, any other retro UK habits that would appeal to many on here I wonder......pub closing hours, Sunday trading hours or our former bland and stodgy diet perhaps ?

Dr Jekyll
24th Dec 2017, 07:42
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/dec/23/blue-passport-brexit-pr-stunt-says-former-thatcher-aide-charles-powell

About sums it up a PR stunt to please the over sixties brexit voters on their retro nostalgia mission

Utterly ridiculous. The existing contract for supply of passports runs out in 2019, so a new contract need to be arranged. This would be necessary even if we weren't leaving the EU. Redesign happens every few years anyway for security reasons.

Wingswinger
24th Dec 2017, 08:57
On the surface, you almost have a point.....unfortunately....you missed out the lures of jingoism and, in the words of one much adored Tory MP on here, symbolism allied to desperation.

As somebody who should, in theory, fall firmly into the wallowing in nostalgia, retro is everything demographic, I would prefer my UK passport to have "European Union" ( being a UK and EU citizen ) clearly marked....but there again, I've never been one of life's conformists.

Now that this supah piece of nostalgia is being imposed, any other retro UK habits that would appeal to many on here I wonder......pub closing hours, Sunday trading hours or our former bland and stodgy diet perhaps ?

I'm sorry Komrad, but you're not an EU citizen as the EU is not a state although it would dearly love to be and may indeed yet be if it doesn't fall apart first. The unfortunate printing of "European Union" at the top of the front page of the burgundy cover confers no national status as the notes on the inside will confirm. It is all "Britannic Majesty" and HMG and so on. Sorry.

Pub closing hours? you might be on to something which could help to reduce the Hogarthian appearance of some of our town centres.

Sunday trading? Ask shop workers if they'd like a guaranteed day off each week whether is based on Christian belief or secular values. I wonder what they'd say.

Bland and stodgy diet? Maybe yours was but that's a personal choice. It never was in our household in the bad old pre-EEC days.

Krystal n chips
24th Dec 2017, 09:48
I'm sorry Komrad, but you're not an EU citizen as the EU is not a state although it would dearly love to be and may indeed yet be if it doesn't fall apart first. The unfortunate printing of "European Union" at the top of the front page of the burgundy cover confers no national status as the notes on the inside will confirm. It is all "Britannic Majesty" and HMG and so on. Sorry.

Pub closing hours? you might be on to something which could help to reduce the Hogarthian appearance of some of our town centres.

Sunday trading? Ask shop workers if they'd like a guaranteed day off each week whether is based on Christian belief or secular values. I wonder what they'd say.

Bland and stodgy diet? Maybe yours was but that's a personal choice. It never was in our household in the bad old pre-EEC days.

Wingers.....a dutiful and patriotic reply there...were you sat rigidly to attention when composing it ?

Unfortunately, when it comes to national status, and prepare for a heart stopping moment here, as I said, I am both a UK and EU citizen and, you will be ecstatic to learn......so are you. " Rejoice! Rejoice ! " Rejoice ! "...as the unlamented deceased once said.

" European Union citizenship is additional to national citizenship. EU citizenship affords rights, freedoms and legal protections to all of its citizens "

True, our city centres do get rather unpleasant late at night....if you are of a certain age and go out looking to get legless and for trouble that is.

Can we assume your own social evenings are over by 21.00 then, back home cup of Horlicks and in bed for 22.00 .

Food..UK food was basically bland and rubbish....but then, and here's another word which always touches the hearts of many on here.....for all the wrong reasons od course.....we were saved by......immigrants to the UK.

http://www.historic-uk.com/CultureUK/Food-in-Britain-in-the-1950s-1960s/

And you've never been shopping on a Sunday then ?

EGLD
24th Dec 2017, 09:58
https://i.imgur.com/DMDTT6q.jpg

Gertrude the Wombat
24th Dec 2017, 10:27
the old blue colour..
Lots of people are posting pictures of their old passports on Twitter and claiming that they're black, not blue. I've taken a look at some of them and colours are mostly like R2 G2 B3, ie they are in fact blue, but as near to black as they could possibly be whilst still being detectable as blue with 24-bit colour.

Gertrude the Wombat
24th Dec 2017, 10:31
I'm sorry Komrad, but you're not an EU citizen...
I think you will find you are wrong (it might have been a few hundred pages back in the #brexit thread, but I'm pretty sure I've read it elsewhere as well). A citizen of an EU country is also an EU citizen. What there isn't at present, and people are seeing whether there could be, a law change so that there is provision for someone to be an EU citizen even if they're not a citizen of an EU country.

Sallyann1234
24th Dec 2017, 10:33
Actually the steam has all been from the Mail, Express etc and their readers celebrating a return to what they wrongly assumed would be the old cardboard passports.
Most Remainers like myself have just been quietly amused at the attention given to the change of colour to a passport. A passport that could have been blue* already if the government of the time had chosen to keep to the original colour.

Of course from the Brexiteers' point of view it does form a useful if temporary distraction from the very real issues that still have to be addressed.

* or was it black?
And does anyone really care?

cattletruck
24th Dec 2017, 10:40
Food..UK food was basically bland and rubbish
That's exactly how I remember it in the 90's.

Did someone mention Hogarth and the colour England blue?

http://mirrorservice.org/sites/gutenberg.org/3/0/7/2/30726/30726-h/images/page041a.png

Pace
24th Dec 2017, 11:13
Black would be very fitting associated with in mourning for one giant mistake if we don’t get unfettered seamless access to our biggest and closest market and friends

Less Hair
24th Dec 2017, 11:22
So strange to see that just folklore seems to be mainly fueling Brexit. For this piece of cardboard you ruin the pound and give up to be Europe's financial capital? Well if you want.

The Brits are certainly free to choose whatever they want. It just fail to see where they really gain something from their perspective.

ATNotts
24th Dec 2017, 11:47
I glanced at the results of an NOP survey about what things people would like to change after Brexit.

The passport was fairly high up the list, and the results showed not unsurprisingly that Brexiteers were keener on the blue passport than remainers, but apparently the greatest support came from areas where the lowest percentage of people who actually possess passports live!!!

The same, Brexit demographic wants hanging, and a return to imperial weights and measures.

The word dinosaurs comes readily to mind.

Danny42C
24th Dec 2017, 13:00
The Dinosaurs did pretty well in their time, and lasted longer than the human race has yet !

Nemrytter
24th Dec 2017, 14:16
To our knowledge the dinosaurs, however, didn't actively try to bring about their own demise.

Jet II
24th Dec 2017, 14:28
Most Remainers like myself have just been quietly amused at the attention given to the change of colour to a passport. A passport that could have been blue* already if the government of the time had chosen to keep to the original colour.

so what are so many remainers complaining about the change? :confused:

Jet II
24th Dec 2017, 14:33
So strange to see that just folklore seems to be mainly fueling Brexit. For this piece of cardboard you ruin the pound and give up to be Europe's financial capital? Well if you want.

The Brits are certainly free to choose whatever they want. It just fail to see where they really gain something from their perspective.

Get a grip of yourself man - the Pound isn't ruined, it just isn't overvalued any more - in fact it is currently trading at the same rate it was 6 years ago. :rolleyes:

surely not
24th Dec 2017, 15:01
To answer a question from back on page 1, the icon of the Right, she who could do no wrong, Maggie Thatcher, was the one who chose the colour of our current passports.
You rebels are going against her will changing it to Blue/black.

It really is the least important piece of news regarding our exit from the EU. What would be more symbolic would be to know that the Government actually has contingency plans in place!

Gertrude the Wombat
24th Dec 2017, 15:02
so what are so many remainers complaining about the change? :confused:
I haven't seen any, have you? I've seen remainers complain about:

(a) the media hype around this triviality when there's serious stuff they should be spending their time on
(b) the fact that it's all lies anyway (firstly the old passport was black not blue, secondly we could have had a blue EU one if we'd wanted)
(c) the loss of functionality of the new passport

but I haven't seen any complain about any particular colour. I have seen remainers make their own suggestions for new colours, including (a) rainbow, (b) add some yellow stars to the blue, and my own contribution (c) sell the cover as advertising space.

Jet II
24th Dec 2017, 15:08
I haven't seen any, have you?

Have you read the thread - only yesterday Pace was complaining that it was just a PR stunt.

Presumably like the PR stunt that changed the color in the first place?

I've seen remainers complain about:

(a) the media hype around this triviality when there's serious stuff they should be spending their time on
(b) the fact that it's all lies anyway (firstly the old passport was black not blue, secondly we could have had a blue EU one if we'd wanted)

but I haven't seen any complain about any particular colour. I have seen remainers make their own suggestions for new colours, including (a) rainbow, (b) add some yellow stars to the blue, and my own contribution (c) sell the cover as advertising space.

Not sure what 'serious stuff' you think is going to get solved over Christmas - and if remainers dont care what color the damn thing is how have we got to thread 6 pages long? :ouch:

Jet II
24th Dec 2017, 15:09
To answer a question from back on page 1, the icon of the Right, she who could do no wrong, Maggie Thatcher, was the one who chose the colour of our current passports.

why would Thatcher be an icon to Brexit supporters - she was in favour of EU membership.. :ugh:

Super VC-10
24th Dec 2017, 15:50
It it's getting back at she who stole my milk, then what better reason could there be to change it?

Gertrude the Wombat
24th Dec 2017, 16:34
Not sure what 'serious stuff' you think is going to get solved over Christmas
Well, the timing, whether by accident or design, succeeded in diverting press attention away from the "serious" matter of the "brexit impact assessments" being bits of cut-and-paste from Wikipedia by an intern and containing nothing about "brexit" and no "impact assessments".

But I agree that if this had remained at the top of the news it wouldn't have got "solved" (whatever that may or may not turn out to mean) over Christmas.

Sallyann1234
24th Dec 2017, 16:44
Not sure what 'serious stuff' you think is going to get solved over Christmas - and if remainers dont care what color the damn thing is how have we got to thread 6 pages long? :ouch:
Who said anything should 'get solved over Christmas'?

Jet II
24th Dec 2017, 18:32
Well, the timing, whether by accident or design, succeeded in diverting press attention away from the "serious" matter of the "brexit impact assessments" being bits of cut-and-paste from Wikipedia by an intern and containing nothing about "brexit" and no "impact assessments".

There's been plenty of press attention over that issue - dragging it out for another 2 weeks over the holiday period wouldn't have made the assessments any more accurate.

glad rag
24th Dec 2017, 18:57

It really is the least important piece of news regarding our exit from the EU. What would be more symbolic would be to know that the Government actually has contingency plans in place!

"The only surprise is that its not been designed to replicate those Christmas / Birthday cards that play a "tune" when you open them up...." Land of Hope and Glory " springs to mind here...or "Rule Britannia "...."

What that bit?

Birds of a feather and all that...

EGLD
24th Dec 2017, 19:11
I haven't seen any, have you? I've seen remainers complain about:

All that matters about the new passport is that it doesn't have European Union on it anymore :ok:

EGLD
24th Dec 2017, 19:12
It it's getting back at she who stole my milk, then what better reason could there be to change it?

Labour stole milk before Thatcher :ok:

Gertrude the Wombat
24th Dec 2017, 19:26
All that matters about the new passport is that it doesn't have European Union on it anymore :ok:
Yes, that is exactly the problem.

MG23
24th Dec 2017, 20:46
why would Thatcher be an icon to Brexit supporters - she was in favour of EU membership.. :ugh:

The left are so fixated on 'It's All Thatcher's Fault' that they can't even begin to comprehend that the right don't like her much, either. Mostly for the things she did that the left now love, like helping create the EU.

The really funny part is that the left STILL whine about Thatcher closing coal mines, then demand we must end the use of coal because Global Warming.

MG23
24th Dec 2017, 20:51
The word dinosaurs comes readily to mind.

The dinosaurs are the ones clinging to the same old 'Progressive' claptrap that's been failing all over the world for a century or more.

The real conservatives today are the left, because there's nothing much about modern society that the right see worth conserving. Which is precisely why the left's power is fading: the cool kids want to join the radicals, not the conservative fuddy-duddies whining about how the kids are dancing to that new-fangled music.

MFC_Fly
24th Dec 2017, 22:33
The really funny part is that the left STILL whine about Thatcher closing coal mines
Even though previous Labour governments closed far more mines than she did :eek:

Ancient Observer
24th Dec 2017, 22:34
Wilson closed far more mines than Thatcher.

Thatcher wasn't at fault. Scargill was. If he had taken a ballot, he would have won and Mrs T would have been out. Simples.

EGLD
24th Dec 2017, 22:40
Yes, that is exactly the problem.

The rest of us just see solutions :ok:

ExSp33db1rd
24th Dec 2017, 23:04
Labour stole milk before Thatcher

So where did the jingle " Milk snatcher Thatcher" come from ?

treadigraph
24th Dec 2017, 23:32
https://www.doyouremember.co.uk/memory/free-school-milk

Can't speak for the veracity of it...

I can recall me daily "mini-pinta" at mid-morning break, not sure if that was in Penzace, Purley or in-between times at one one of the several Kenyan primaries I attended...333

cavortingcheetah
24th Dec 2017, 23:43
That's right and the crossed red hammer and sickle will look stunning on a dark blue background.

ZFT
25th Dec 2017, 01:45
Get a grip of yourself man - the Pound isn't ruined, it just isn't overvalued any more - in fact it is currently trading at the same rate it was 6 years ago. :rolleyes:

Not where I live, work and am paid is isn't.

Now down getting on for 40% and I'm on a Sterling referenced salary!

ExSp33db1rd
25th Dec 2017, 04:38
I remember school milk, came in little 1/3 pint bottles.

Gertrude the Wombat
25th Dec 2017, 09:59
I remember school milk, came in little 1/3 pint bottles.
Absolutely disgusted it was, particularly when it had frozen (so as to push the top off) and an attempt had been made to melt it by putting it on the radiators. My primary school days were a game of wits with the teachers as I tried to avoid being forced to drink the milk.

Grayfly
25th Dec 2017, 10:06
You should have complained to the milk monitor!

I was at primary school in Glasgow in the 50's, free milk was basically the only reason we went to school. That and being shown pictures of fruit.

Blues&twos
25th Dec 2017, 15:31
We had to hide our milk so the Humphries didn't nick it.

airwave45
25th Dec 2017, 17:17
The rest of us just see solutions :ok:

ahahahahaha,
you'll have to look long and hard for the "solutions" to the mess that a desire for rickets and child labour has bestowed upon the rest of us.

EGLD
25th Dec 2017, 18:43
ahahahahaha,
you'll have to look long and hard for the "solutions" to the mess that a desire for rickets and child labour has bestowed upon the rest of us.

The state of it ^^^ :ok:

Pace
25th Dec 2017, 20:20
Originally Posted by Jet II View Post
Get a grip of yourself man - the Pound isn't ruined, it just isn't overvalued any more - in fact it is currently trading at the same rate it was 6 years ago.

Jet 11
You know the last time the pound was low was for a reason ? Our biggest earner is financial services
In the banking / financial crisis what do you think was so exposed here it would cause our currency to dive ? A prize if you get it right ))
The collapse of the pound since the referendum is because the world markets do not like what we are doing through brexit
Of course they are correct

Trossie
25th Dec 2017, 22:50
You know the last time the pound was low was for a reason ? Our biggest earner is financial services
In the banking / financial crisis what do you think was so exposed here it would cause our currency to dive ? A prize if you get it right ))
The collapse of the pound since the referendum is because the world markets do not like what we are doing through brexit
Of course they are correctYabber, yabber, yabber! Many of us are doing quite well without the pound at its previously over-valued level. Maybe your bizjet is threatened but several of our 'bigger jets' are doing quite well thank you!

Heard Simon Calder saying a few days ago that one of the distinct differences that we'll see with any new passport is that we will spend significantly less time in passport queues coming back to the UK, because we won't have to queue with the 'other 27'!

Sallyann1234
25th Dec 2017, 23:33
Heard Simon Calder saying a few days ago that one of the distinct differences that we'll see with any new passport is that we will spend significantly less time in passport queues coming back to the UK, because we won't have to queue with the 'other 27'!
But of course exactly the reverse will happen when visiting one of the 'other 27'. We'll be queuing with the rest of the world.

Trossie
25th Dec 2017, 23:36
But of course exactly the reverse will happen when visiting one of the 'other 27'. We'll be queuing with the rest of the world.Depends on how much business their hoteliers, etc., etc., want to lose?

Sallyann1234
25th Dec 2017, 23:38
Depends on how much business their hoteliers, etc., etc., want to lose?
And how much ours want to lose?

Trossie
25th Dec 2017, 23:48
I think that the balance of our hoteliers and their business from the entire world vs their business from 'the 27' is tilted very, very, very much in our favour when you compare with the hoteliers in Spain and Greece and the balance between their business from the UK and from the entire world!!

fitliker
25th Dec 2017, 23:55
I remember a story about nuclear fallout from a leak at a reactors being the real reason for stopping the milk for children program.
The government told a small fib to protect us from panic :)

Gertrude the Wombat
26th Dec 2017, 00:00
Love the Wail headline - the increasing shrillness of rising panic.

Trossie
26th Dec 2017, 00:09
This one?

"Clegg gets a knighthood: Former Lib Dem leader to get a gong in the New Year's honours list in recognition of his five years as deputy prime minister "

redsnail
26th Dec 2017, 13:01
I've always had a blue passport. It says Australia on it. My British passports with European Union on it means comparatively easy travel through various European country's immigration checks. I travel through Europe (and further) every week. I dread to think of the delays that will happen unless the UK gets some sort of agreement like Norway and Switzerland.

Folks who travel maybe once a year, no big deal, those of us who travel all the time, it's a real worry.

I have a UK ATPL and the CAA are signatories to EASA. I fly a Portuguese registered aircraft. No one knows what's going to happen.

This really worries me.

So the Brexiteers who call me a Remoaner, I have genuine fears and concerns that have not been answered.

EGLD
26th Dec 2017, 13:17
But of course exactly the reverse will happen when visiting one of the 'other 27'. We'll be queuing with the rest of the world.

Does that triviality stop us travelling to the USA? Canada? Australia? South Africa? how about living and working in those countries?

EGLD
26th Dec 2017, 13:20
This one?

"Clegg gets a knighthood: Former Lib Dem leader to get a gong in the New Year's honours list in recognition of his five years as deputy prime minister "

The Queen is a well known BeLeaver, this gong is clearly for his services to the Brexit cause by being such a loathed Remainer and so embarrassingly sucking up to the EU hoping to get a job

Gertrude the Wombat
26th Dec 2017, 13:23
Does that triviality stop us travelling to the USA? Canada? Australia? South Africa? how about living and working in those countries?
What stops me travelling to the USA is the bureaucracy, yes, specifically the fingerprinting. In civilised parts of the world only criminals are fingerprinted.

Gertrude the Wombat
26th Dec 2017, 13:24
The Queen is a well known BeLeaver ...
... as she clearly indicated with her EU flag hat.

wiggy
26th Dec 2017, 13:43
As has been pointed out making the process for gaining access ( even for a holiday) and work rights for UK citizens within the rump EU as easy as it is for the likes of the States is hardly progress...then again I know for some progress is a dirty word.

As others have said for Brits who work solely in the UK and travel outside the UK mainly for leisure purposes a handful of times a year the possible changes will be no big deal, but for other Brits, epscially those who travel in/out of the UK on perhaps a weekly basis or even more frequently, the worse case postulated possible changes add another layer ( layers?) of difficulty that could be decidely unhelpful.

Ccertainly like others I've done the paperwork and stood in line often enough going in and out of the likes Australia and the States to appreciate the relative simplicity of what we have crossing those controlled non-Schengen European Borders....

TBH the colour of the passport is trivial in the scheme of things.....

Sallyann1234
26th Dec 2017, 15:24
What an odd thing for you to suggest. :=
The discussion was about queuing times, not immigration.

Rail Engineer
26th Dec 2017, 16:24
This one?

"Clegg gets a knighthood: Former Lib Dem leader to get a gong in the New Year's honours list in recognition of his five years as deputy prime minister "They missed out the bit about the damage he caused through his petulant and childish attitude, and also should have included services to dishonesty and downright lying.
No wonder the general public are cynical about Politics and the Establishment. If anything Clegg should be being prosecuted for malfeasence in public office.

Rail Engineer
26th Dec 2017, 16:27
But of course exactly the reverse will happen when visiting one of the 'other 27'. We'll be queuing with the rest of the world.Well I travel through Schiphol regularly and the Non EU passport control is actuually shorter. Thay have now had to introduce priority lanes for those with EU passports and tight connections.

EGLD
26th Dec 2017, 17:58
What an odd thing for you to suggest. :=
The discussion was about queuing times, not immigration.

What an odd thing to do; ignore the 50% of my post that was a relevant question that you couldn't answer :=

MFC_Fly
26th Dec 2017, 18:47
What stops me travelling to the USA is the bureaucracy, yes, specifically the fingerprinting. In civilised parts of the world only criminals are fingerprinted.
Do you consider the UK to be a civilised part of the world then?

G-CPTN
26th Dec 2017, 18:57
In civilised parts of the world only criminals are fingerprinted.

Not true.
In the UK, if you are suspected of an offence and arrested, you will have your fingerprints (and DNA) taken and recorded.

Pitchpoller
26th Dec 2017, 19:14
Not only if you are a suspect. They do that to you if you are a victim of crime too.

It all goes onto Big Brother's database.

dastocks
26th Dec 2017, 22:24
Not only if you are a suspect. They do that to you if you are a victim of crime too.

It all goes onto Big Brother's database.
In The Real World most victims of violent crime are also offenders, so collecting as much information as possible is just common sense.

Gertrude the Wombat
26th Dec 2017, 23:07
They missed out the bit about the damage he caused
The damage that he did to the Tory programme by blocking a number of extreme policies is entirely to be welcomed.

MFC_Fly
27th Dec 2017, 22:55
Are you going to answer my question in post #158 Gertrude?