PDA

View Full Version : Mosquitoes in December

treadigraph
22nd Dec 2017, 08:13
For the last week or so there have been several mosquitoes - and what looks like a fruit fly and a house fly - sitting on the outside of my office window. They are definitely alive as they fly off occasionally, then reappear.

I guess they are attracted by the light, but surely by this time in the UK they are either dead or hibernating somewhere? I know it has warmed up a fair bit after the cold snap but I can't remember seeing them before at this time of year. A sign of climate change? :p

I can see one of the little buggers now, it's looking at me thinking "breakfast!"

gemma10
22nd Dec 2017, 08:37
They are waking up and celebrating the extra minute of daylight today.

treadigraph
22nd Dec 2017, 08:38
They are waking up and celebrating the extra minute of daylight today.

Can't blame them for that - so am I...!

Krystal n chips
22nd Dec 2017, 09:06
Lets be fair....you do live in Croydon so bio and environmental diversity has long been established therein .....:eek:

LordGrumpy
22nd Dec 2017, 09:43
you do live in Croydon

Which explains the insect activity.

They are dancing; to the beat of an anthemic FREE tune; recorded in the Fairfield Hall 1970.
All right now.

Pinky the pilot
22nd Dec 2017, 09:50
Just be thankful that you have not had contact with the 'anopheles' type!:=

I once spent three months based at a town called Kerema, on the south coast of Papua New Guinea.

Kerema is, to put it mildly, right in the middle of a Malarial swamp!:eek:

That was 27 years ago. The only redeeming factor of the whole episode is that the last attack of malaria I had was nearly 12 years ago which, according to a local Medico, indicates that my body just might have been able to rid itself of that parasite!!:ok::ok:

Actuallt though, there is one type of Mosquito I absolutely love;

The DeHavilland version!:ok:

(And to keep a friend happy; The Glasflugel version as well.:D)

treadigraph
22nd Dec 2017, 10:05
Which explains the insect activity.

They are dancing; to the beat of an anthemic FREE tune; recorded in the Fairfield Hall 1970.
All right now.

In the Fairfield? Honest? Funnily enough, someone played it in the Dog and Bull in Wednesday; mate and I agreed that we didn't really like it all that much - I prefer Wishing Well. Which is probably where mosquitoes breed these days. ;)

Just be thankful that you have not had contact with the 'anopheles' type!

Aye, i gather one never really gets rid of malaria, it just lies dormant. Worst I get is the odd mild infection cos I scratch the bites. My neighbours have a lot of kids toys scattered round their garden that pond water - I'm quite sure they are breeding grounds for mozzies.

DH Mosquito - thanks heavens for AvSpecs!

Effluent Man
22nd Dec 2017, 10:34
They seem most prevalent around August. But I did spot one on the bathroom wall this morning. I live a few hundred metres from a river valley so I think your water connection is correct. The worst infestation ever was when I stayed near Edam in the NL.

treadigraph
22nd Dec 2017, 12:01
There are now dozens of fruit flies (or something similar, midges perhaps?) on all the office windows - don't they know it's Christmas? Must be the sudden rise in temperature, but it's not that warm!

Rwy in Sight
22nd Dec 2017, 13:06
Over the last month, I destroy about one mosquito per week and a big fat fly per day. And my appartement is not heated.

gemma10
22nd Dec 2017, 16:12
A mozzy cure all. Peel three garlic cloves and place in a saucer and leave on the windowsill. Sorted.

Ascend Charlie
23rd Dec 2017, 05:13
Keeps vampires away, too!

Pitchpoller
23rd Dec 2017, 20:39
https://s9.postimg.org/by1l955db/Mozzies.jpg

Uplinker
24th Dec 2017, 08:58
They have mossies - the insects - in the Arctic (summer), so they can survive in cold temperatures.

Effluent Man
24th Dec 2017, 09:20
That looks like Amiens nick. February 18 1944.

treadigraph
24th Dec 2017, 21:27
A tad under 20 years before I was born. What a generation they were.

treadigraph
24th Dec 2017, 22:28
Delighted to say I've just nailed a little (non-DH) mosquito b*st*rd! Staying at my sister's place in northern Suffolk (nearly Norfolk), and spotted the little bugger working up an appetite in the loo. Got him with a wad of bog paper

Ancient Observer
24th Dec 2017, 22:33
Did he thank you for wiping his bum?

treadigraph
24th Dec 2017, 22:42
He just whined a bit...

Effluent Man
24th Dec 2017, 23:18
Delighted to say I've just nailed a little (non-DH) mosquito b*st*rd! Staying at my sister's place in northern Suffolk (nearly Norfolk), and spotted the little bugger working up an appetite in the loo. Got him with a wad of bog paper

Mmm, I'm North Suffolk, maybe a local infestation.

BlankBox
25th Dec 2017, 13:56
...hasn't been any around here for awhile...this morning is -26c with windchill of -40c ...so feel quite safe...:p