PDA

View Full Version : Strange present - a book about sleeping. Tablets? [email protected]@dy NORA!

Loose rivets
21st Dec 2017, 11:23
My appropriately qualified professor son sent me a book about sleeping. I turned to page 300 and something cos it was about sleeping pills.

I can not believe it. I should be dead. At least five times.

The professionally conducted studies show bewildering downside to taking Zolpidem (Ambien) or Benzodiazipines (Temazipam Valium and the like) In a two and a half year study, the former is responsible for a 3.6 FOLD increase in mortality in the median age groups - rising to over 5 fold increase for people over 60, quite often the main users. However, one of the biggest problems is the severe reduction in memory enhancing sleep. REM and NREM monitoring.

Yes, driving kills a lot of them, but the immune system - or suppression of it - seems to be the biggest killer, with cancer a major culprit.

Ambien CR or controlled release is deadly. I've known that for years. It zaps the mind first and then leaches a trickle in for some hours. I tried one and was totally unfit for driving the next morning. And I was someone used to the main ingredient.

Erm, Merry Christmas. :sad:

Toadstool
21st Dec 2017, 11:33
Bloody hell, just about all the USAF crew members that I flew with took Ambien during the god-awful routine that we had.

Loose rivets
21st Dec 2017, 13:14
The profits analysis is beyond jaw-dropping. It's easy to see why this culture, for that's what it's become, persists in the modern world. That takes us to modern industry.

It will come as no surprise to learn that the US is waaaaaaay ahead of other countries when it comes to losses due to sleep deprivation. 411billion $ is one yearly graph. When it comes to comparison with the GDP, then surprisingly the lead in that is swapped with Japan. But both the US and Japan have estimated losses c 3%. The author goes on to talk about the culture of working until midnight and in to the office before 6AM. The word, endemic, comes to mind.

A few big names are addressing the problem. Google is one. Good decision-making and a more relaxed life profit both parties. Some companies are providing a snooze room, though that seems to counter the author's comments on not napping.

American children's school report times are nothing short of heartbreaking. I was recently involved in that, and it was something my son had quite a lot to say about at the school. The trouble is the 'both parents working' issues and the time of the school bus. Can't be changed, so they say.

And then there was our PM, Mrs Thatcher. 4 hours a night, for years. Decision making? History will tell.

John Marsh
21st Dec 2017, 15:32
I'd heard about the long working hours culture in Japan; I think that pre-dates the US one. Could be wrong on that. ISTR reading about a white-collar tradition in Japan of being at the office, but not necessarily working throughout those hours.

Then again, suicide due to over-work has been an issue in Japan. I guess prolonged sleep deprivation could lead to the same result.

How did the production line and admin staff cope in WW2? No criticism of current workforces intended; just wondering.

I also wonder if/when the quality of life issue will be forced to the fore in societies which demand ever more production and less sleep. Quality of life, or the lack of it, seems to be finally forcing some changes at Ryanair.

There do appear to be limits. MOL & Co. have discovered them. Perhaps other bosses shall also.