PDA

View Full Version : Insurance?

Nurse2Pilot
18th Dec 2017, 23:07
I'm getting ready to visit a few flight schools and hopefully sit in a few classes and a few flights to help me cement my decision as to which school to go with. I was wondering if anyone sorted out some sort of insurance before doing so, or at least before starting on their journey of being a pilot?

Any help or advice appreciated! Thanks!

Thegreenmachine
19th Dec 2017, 14:11
Hi
I took insurance with balpa whilst a student pilot, infact I still have it. The quote is competitive although I've heard you might be able to beat it elsewhere.
It can cover you for loss of medical amongst other things. I got mine from day one although you can save yourself a few months premiums if you arrange it to start a little before you start flying/before your medical.
Some didn't have it, personally I wouldn't risk it though.

Nurse2Pilot
2nd Jul 2018, 09:10
Just bumping! Anyone else? Seems like there's a lot of talk about training and flight schools and job hunting but nothing much on taking out personal/life insurance?

Nurse2Pilot
2nd Jul 2018, 15:22
Not just that but obviously flying under training and that's a ripe time for boo-boos to happen, so I'm just surprised nobody seems to be talking about it.

magicmick
3rd Jul 2018, 17:34
Hi Council Van

Off topic but I was saddened to hear that you have been diagnosed with a serious condition. I have read a lot of the stuff that you have written in the past and it has been no nonsense, plain and practical advice which I am sure has helped many people. Please accept my best sincere wishes for your treatment.

magicmick
4th Jul 2018, 09:26
Absolutely, best wishes to you.

Nurse2Pilot
1st Sep 2018, 14:10
Sorry to hear about your illness, Council Van. I hope you're doing well with treatment?

I wonder if it's worth getting Loss of License (or Loss of Medical) while in training? I'll only really be flying for about 3 months for the PPL and another 3 months maybe for CPL/ME/IR? Surely I won't need this while sitting at home studying ATPL? Critical Illness I think I'll be needing for the entire training period in case I get sick while studying and thus cannot work (loss of income) for some time.

To those that have gotten such insurance, any chance of getting rough numbers with regards to cost? Maybe mention who you're with as well so my google search get easier? Thanks!

Banana Joe
2nd Sep 2018, 07:56
Check APPN.