PDA

View Full Version : Flu Epidemic ?

Chronus
18th Dec 2017, 19:28
Is there a flu epidemic out there.
The flu season this year seems much worse than all previous.
Every body I come across either has some symptoms of it or knows someone who is getting it or has it. Am told it lasts for weeks and when they think it is over and done with they get it again.
I have also developed some symptoms of it and contigency plans are afoot to move the Christmas tree and crackers up into the bedroom.
Is it Asian, Avian, Spanish or some other version of the usual viral take couple of aspirins and don`t bother the doc type.

18th Dec 2017, 19:57
Over the years, I've lost count of the number of people who tell me that they have the flu simply because they have a few sniffles or maybe a headache.
In many instances, they take a day or two off work then return back all bright eyed.
If it really was influenza, they wouldn't even dream of coming back to work (or even setting foot outside of their house) for quite a few days and in all likelihood, the majority of people probably just had a cold.

bnt
18th Dec 2017, 20:32
I've had colds before, and didn't think it was influenza, but last week ... what I got was the Flu. I thought I'd fought off a cold, but crashed hard yesterday (Sunday) with no energy and everything hurting. I literally could not sit in a chair. I've bounced back today and will be back at work tomorrow - which could be a mistake - but I've never had a cold do anything like that to me before. I even got a flu vaccine this year, but it clearly wasn't for this particular strain.

G-CPTN
18th Dec 2017, 22:08
Here in the UK us oldies get flu jabs that are supposed to reject influenza - it doesn't stop me getting snuffles every time I attend meetings.

Tankertrashnav
19th Dec 2017, 00:06
My hypochondriac son (45) claims to have flu at least half a dozen times a year.

I don't actually recall suffering from what may be called influenza - not in the last 40 odd years in any case

Might be something to do with living in Cornwall with an all year round sou westerly off the clean waters of the Atlantic blowing all the germs away! Highly unscientific, but tbh I haven't heard any mention of a flu epidemic around here recently.

tdracer
19th Dec 2017, 00:33
Dr.'s orders that I get the flu shot every year, along with Mrs. racer. Last time she got the flu she nearly died (I came home from work and found her incoherent with a temp of 105F!) and I have a heart condition that could make getting the flu really dangerous.
Last time I got the flu (~25 years ago) it was really bad - made worse that it hit me around midnight while I was driving and ~50 miles from home. I simply prayed to god to keep me together for another hour to get home and crawl into bed (I had the chills so bad I had the car heater cranked up as high as it would go).
My doctor warned me that this years flu vaccine is not a good match to what's been going around - so it won't stop you from getting the flu but should still lessen the severity if you do.

treadigraph
19th Dec 2017, 08:47
Friend of mine was very sick a couple of weeks ago, high temperature, aches, pains, very snotty, day off work, then settled on her chest as a horrible painful cough. She's adamant it was just a bad cold. I agree.

I had red flu when I was a teenager (epidemic around 1978) - it was awful, much worse than the nastiest cold I've have ever had.

Effluent Man
19th Dec 2017, 08:58
Had the jab and a chat with the nurse, my surgery is rarely busy so it's quite relaxed. She said it's designed to cope with the six most common strains around this year. I am borderline type 2 diabetic, unlike most other codgers around here though who look like a gentle zephyr would carry them off I'm quite sturdy and take lots of exercise. I think being frail is a big factor in non survival cases.

VP959
19th Dec 2017, 09:08
I think a heck of a lot of people say they've had "flu" when the reality is they've had a cold. Like tdracer, I had flu once, around 35 years ago, and it really knocks you out. I could barely make it to the toilet without assistance, and if it hadn't been for friends bringing me hot soup, drinks and my GP making a home visit to give medication I doubt I've had the ability to get them myself. I was in bed for the best part of a week and took probably another week or so to recover.

Once you've had something like this you tend to use it as a benchmark for other minor infections, and I've never had anything like it since. I've had the occasional cold or sore throat that has persisted for longer than I'd have liked, and that seems to be a feature of ageing to some extent, but thankfully I've not had the flu since that one time years ago.

My other half is starting to nag me about getting the annual flu jab, and I will probably start having them from next year, just to be on the safe side.

Tarq57
19th Dec 2017, 10:05
I hardly ever get the flu, and only some years get even a cold.
When I get a cold, it can leave me feeling quite drained and uncomfortable for about a week.
In March I got the flu, and it was a doozy. Luckily I was on holiday on a tropical island, which is a nice sort of place to ride it out. By the third day of sleeping about 18 hours a day and feeling dizzy and sore and not eating much I didn't have much doubt that it was more than just a cold.
Don't want to get one of those too often, thanks.
Treatment of the symptoms helped a lot. Asprin and fluids. I had to switch to paracetamol/codeine because I started to get nosebleeds, something to watch for if asprin is your painkiller of choice, as it is mine.

Bill16STN
19th Dec 2017, 13:17
Old fashioned way to work out if you’ve got flu:

The £10.00 test
Ask yourself; if there was a £10.00 note pinned to your garden gate,
would you have the strength or inclination to go outside to retrieve it?

goudie
19th Dec 2017, 13:29
I was unfortunate enough to have the Asian flu in 1957. I was a young airman at the time and although very fit it totally knocked me and many colleagues out of action for a week or more.. Believe me genuine flu, whatever it's source, is extremely painful and debilitating.

Super VC-10
19th Dec 2017, 13:34
The best medicine for flu comes from Scotland. Drink enough of it and it'll either cure you, or you won't care that it hasn't. :ok:

treadigraph
19th Dec 2017, 13:42
You mean Irn Bru?

bnt
19th Dec 2017, 14:06
The £10.00 test
I wound definitely have failed that test last Sunday, which confirms my suspicion that that was the real deal.

goudie
19th Dec 2017, 14:15
What if it had been fifty quid?

Super VC-10
19th Dec 2017, 15:32
You mean Irn Bru?

No, the other stuff. :p

Mr Optimistic
19th Dec 2017, 18:55
Had the flu once, as a teenager. If you can walk then you haven't got flu. Shows the difference between the immunity conferred by the real thing, and that from the jab which starts to fade after 100 days. There are plenty of nasty infections about at the moment though, had a cough and undertheweatherness for weeks, which can't all be blamed on Christmas.

Chronus
19th Dec 2017, 19:21
It was reported by some news papers in October that a deadly flu strain, H2N2 had affected 100,000 people in Oz and feared it was on its way over to our shores. The symptoms included, dry cough, sore throat,runny nose, headache, muscle and joint pain.

meadowrun
19th Dec 2017, 19:21
"Overall, getting a flu shot cut one’s risk of contracting flu and needing to see a doctor by 48 percent this season, when the effectiveness of the various components of the vaccine were assessed together, according to the report published in the CDC’s online journal Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.
Far and away the most common cause of influenza so far this year is the influenza A virus family known as H3N2. Seasons in which H3N2 viruses dominate are typically harsh because the virus is especially hard on older adults. Older adults also get less benefit from flu vaccines than healthy younger people.
The H3N2 component of the flu vaccine has not worked as well as other components in recent years. Flu vaccines are combination vaccines, protecting against three and sometimes four different flu strains.

This year is not an exception. The CDC data, drawn from five surveillance sites across the country, suggest that the H3N2 component of the 2016-17 flu vaccine offered about 43 percent protection against medically attended influenza.
To put that in context, the influenza B component of the vaccine this year appears to offer about 73 percent protection. The CDC could not estimate vaccine effectiveness for the influenza A H1N1 component of the vaccine because those viruses haven’t played much of a role so far this winter.
“It’s not as good as we would like to see, and we’ve seen higher for some of the seasons — more for H1N1 and for [flu] B,” said Brendan Flannery, an epidemiologist with the CDC’s influenza division.
“But for H3N2, it’s as good as we have seen for some of the H3N2 seasons that have been well matched.” CDC

Never have had a flu shot.

richt_ret
19th Dec 2017, 19:31
Had the flu jab, but just had the flu. Temperature spikes of 40 degrees. I was out of it for four days. Last time I had flu was in 1969 from memory. This was similar. Believe me you don't want to get it!

Mr Optimistic
19th Dec 2017, 21:02
For what it is worth.

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/weekly-national-flu-reports

gingernut
19th Dec 2017, 21:56
Old fashioned way to work out if you’ve got flu:

The £10.00 test
Ask yourself; if there was a £10.00 note pinned to your garden gate,
would you have the strength or inclination to go outside to retrieve it?

Yep, sack all microbiologists, I think this a good measure.

flash8
19th Dec 2017, 23:46
Early last year outbreak here in Moscow...

I feel sh*t everyday when it's cold here (which is now, and FAR worse than the UK)... avoided any flu though... but becoming immune to having a frozen face (something I didn't get being raised in Surrey).

WingNut60
20th Dec 2017, 00:12
I know that some doctor is going to contradict me but I did once see one helpful guide re differentiating flu / cold.

That was, severity aside, :- Flu symptoms - predominantly chest
Cold symptoms : - predominantly nasal / throat

That does not preclude secondary chest infections that can be associated with a head cold.

Have had the flu once definitely, late 1960's - possibly twice.
There was some very interesting, psychedelic hallucination that happened with the first event. Neither event will be quickly forgotten.

KelvinD
20th Dec 2017, 00:26
I will not forget the Asian flu epidemic of 1957. I was at a small village school and one day I was tasked with going around the 4 classrooms to collect the registers. Of a school of about 120 kids, there were 24 present that day!
As for flu jabs; in 1970/71, I worked briefly for an American company here in the UK and they decided one year it would be a good idea to get all the staff vaccinated against flu. I took the jab and that was the only time I came down with something like flu. It was also the only time I accepted the jab!

reynoldsno1
20th Dec 2017, 01:12
Whooping cough seems to be de rigeur at 41S at the moment ...

ricardian
20th Dec 2017, 14:19
Mrs R and I had the proper 'flu about 30 years ago. It began on 23 Dec and continued until well into the New Year. At the time we had two GSDs so we took turns in crawling out of bed to feed & empty the dogs in the yard. Cheapest Xmas ever, fridge & freezer packed with goodies but all we ate over Christmas & New Year were 2 or 3 slices of toast

meadowrun
20th Dec 2017, 14:32
That does sound like the flu.
Good thing the dogs didn't get it as well then. A new definition of misery.

Chronus
20th Dec 2017, 19:25
I met with and spoke to a number of people this week, most of them have got similar symptoms. Starting with bad throats, then cough, followed with sneezing , runny nose, shivering, muscle aches and swimming heads. All of them said they know others who have also caught it. Whether it is the common winter head cold or something else, it seems to be spreading like wildfire. It looks like a bumper Christmas for Boots and stockings with cold feet instead of presents all tucked up in bed. Not a whisper from any health watchdog as yet.

glad rag
7th Jan 2018, 15:49
https://mobile.twitter.com/AgentP22/status/949935298867326976

Now about those No/Leave voters supposed demographic stats and No, I wouldn't put it past the separatists either.

Chronus
7th Jan 2018, 19:31
It has been one of the best kept secrets for last year, but lid finally came off, with Teresa May`s back against the ropes over the hospital waiting queues. The NHS crisis has been blamed on the ageing population and the usual annual incidence of ilness that is the norm. It makes me wonder though how much of it is owing to the cold/flu bug, which last year must have been at its peak.
With children returning to school next week, I expect it will not be long before more people are struck down with it.

Detailed technical information is at :

WHO | Influenza update - 305 (http://www.who.int/influenza/surveillance_monitoring/updates/latest_update_GIP_surveillance/en/)

ORAC
7th Jan 2018, 19:36
There are three current available vaccines - bivalent, trivalent and quadrivalent. Neither bivalent nor trivalent are effective against the current flu virus present in the UK. The quadrivalent is effective.

The quadrivalent was offered to GP practices by the manufacturer - but the NHS said no. Why? From February 2017.......

GPs asked to buy more expensive flu vaccine to save NHS money | News Article | Pulse Today (http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/clinical/prescribing/gps-asked-to-buy-more-expensive-flu-vaccine-to-save-nhs-money/20033924.article)

sitigeltfel
7th Jan 2018, 20:01
I met with and spoke to a number of people this week, most of them have got similar symptoms. Starting with bad throats, then cough, followed with sneezing , runny nose, shivering, muscle aches and swimming heads. All of them said they know others who have also caught it. Whether it is the common winter head cold or something else, it seems to be spreading like wildfire. It looks like a bumper Christmas for Boots and stockings with cold feet instead of presents all tucked up in bed. Not a whisper from any health watchdog as yet.

I contracted it on Friday from a Scottish friend who came for New Year, all symptoms as above. Movement is like wading through thick porridge in slow motion.
Trying to keep warm, downing Spedifen and Toplexil.

ricardian
7th Jan 2018, 20:40
Keeping free of 'flu at 59N, having only had 'flu once about 30 years ago I do NOT want it again. Both Mrs R and I had 'flu over Christmas 1987, we had two dogs and we took it in turns to feed the dogs, let them out into the yard and get them back in again. We had fridge & freezers full of goodies but over Christmas & New Year all we ate were a few slices of toast.

MungoP
11th Jan 2018, 08:22
Again the poor old NHS is in the news today.. Overstretched by outpatients showing Flu symptoms. Can someone out there please tell me why someone with flu would attend A&E ? Not a criticism I just need to be made aware of why someone with the flu wouldn't simply buy some non prescription medication and stay warm in bed at home.. Do they not know what the initials 'A&E' represent or am I ignorant of something ? (Actually I'm ready to admit that I'm ignorant of many things).

jolihokistix
11th Jan 2018, 09:08
Caught flu about 20 years ago and really thought I was going to die during the night. The hallucinations included hands coming up through the floor and dragging me down into darkness. The flu, or the medication? I went downstairs and sat upright for the rest of the night, afraid to go back to bed.

Always now carry a Tamiflu capsule. The advice I was given was to take it the moment you first suspect what you have might be flu and not just a cold. The only problem is no-one will willingly give you Tamiflu oseltamivir phosphate (or Relenza Zanamivir etc.) for 'just in case'.

Thomas coupling
11th Jan 2018, 09:39
Colds don't express fever. Flu does. If you can't control your body temp - you have flu.

ExXB
11th Jan 2018, 09:45
Always now carry a Tamiflu capsule. The advice I was given was to take it the moment you first suspect what you have might be flu and not just a cold. The only problem is no-one will willingly give you Tamiflu oseltamivir phosphate (or Relenza Zanamivir etc.) for 'just in case'.

And we are now seeing viruses resistant to Tamiflu, due to over/miss use.

jolihokistix
11th Jan 2018, 10:55
ExXB, quite possibly, but in my case I have never used it, not yet anyway. :fingerscrossedorwhateverispcnowadays:

Andy_S
11th Jan 2018, 10:56
Again the poor old NHS is in the news today.. Overstretched by outpatients showing Flu symptoms. Can someone out there please tell me why someone with flu would attend A&E ?

It’s an interesting question.

I think many of those patients are elderly and / or vulnerable. For people like that, Flu can be genuinely life threatening. Having said that, I’m in complete agreement with those who think that we’re far too quick to diagnose Flu the moment someone has a few sniffles.

There’s a massive amount of hysteria around the NHS at the moment. Has it ever occurred to some people that demand on the NHS isn’t at a constant level but subject to peaks and troughs? Of course the system will struggle when there’s a rapid spike in demand. It’s not realistic to maintain year round hospital capacity for what might be a 2 or 3 period of exceptional demand – the best the NHS can do is to have contingency plans for these eventualities. The question we should be asking is whether those plans are working.

Surely one of the biggest problems facing the NHS is our expectations of it.

Krystal n chips
11th Jan 2018, 11:04
Again the poor old NHS is in the news today.. Overstretched by outpatients showing Flu symptoms. Can someone out there please tell me why someone with flu would attend A&E ? Not a criticism I just need to be made aware of why someone with the flu wouldn't simply buy some non prescription medication and stay warm in bed at home.. Do they not know what the initials 'A&E' represent or am I ignorant of something ? (Actually I'm ready to admit that I'm ignorant of many things).

Well, if it's any comfort to you, no more ignorant about medicine that you are about the Road Traffic Act really....

Now I don't doubt there are people attending A & E with flu like symptoms but there again, the latest wheeze from the NHS is to get those fully medically trained receptionists to diagnose your symptoms, either over the phone, or in public, and decide if you really need to see, erm, a GP perhaps?

That, and if you've ever experienced full blown proper flu, you will know the symptoms drop you and if you are elderly or living alone or without any possible help, then A & E would, if you can make it there, be a choice would it not ?

I was offered, well more the old moral blackmail approach and guilt trip thereafter for declining the annual flu jab, late last year...the guilt trip failed miserably as you would expect.

You will be saddened to learn that, thus far, I have not succumbed to being one of the Excesses "Millions of Brits to die in Aussie flu ! prediction.

MungoP
11th Jan 2018, 11:30
Thanks for the responses so far but I'm still puzzled as to why someone with flu would look for help in accident and emergency. Flu to my mind doesn't constitute either and is something that loads up the NHS which has more important things to deal with.
And as for K&C's aside to my knowledge of the Road Traffic Act, I'm not ignorant of it.. just contemptuous of it.

Krystal n chips
11th Jan 2018, 11:35
Thanks for the responses so far but I'm still puzzled as to why someone with flu would look for help in accident and emergency. Flu to my mind doesn't constitute either and is something that loads up the NHS which has more important things to deal with.

Allow me to negate your puzzlement.....

Influenza (flu) | Vaccine Knowledge (http://vk.ovg.ox.ac.uk/influenza-flu)

Still, what's a few random deaths got to do with how serious flu can be.

Simplythebeast
11th Jan 2018, 12:02
Flu.....its a shitty disease and its been around forever but in the media’s rush to condemn whichever political party is in power, the NHS and its A&E’s inability to cope is always a great story, and seasonal flu seems to always be the reason for its difficulty.
However when one looks at those times when the A&Es are at their most stretched (Christmas and NewYear) I do wonder how much congestion is caused by flu patients in comparison to self inflicted alcohol/drug admissions.
You can be fairly certain that without alcohol our A&Es would be more than able to cope.
We really need to looking at charging people a fee for ambulance and treatment in cases originating from alcohol consumption.

wiggy
11th Jan 2018, 12:10
FWIW and probably staring the obvious whilst the conversation has become possibly understandably Brit centric It’s a Europe wide problem at the moment.. Plenty of stories around about excessive waiting times to see Doctors (either locally or in A&E) even those countries with supposedly better funded health system than the U.K.

KelvinD
11th Jan 2018, 12:19
According to a news flash on the BBC earlier, the total number of persons who have died of flu during the current winter season has risen to 48. Hardly an end-of-the-world event! Either the NHS is doing a sterling job or the epidemic is not quite the epidemic we led to believe.

wiggy
11th Jan 2018, 13:46
I think it is a genuine "epidemic"... FWIW there are a few figures and a pretty map for France here:

https://www.francebleu.fr/infos/sante-sciences/carte-l-epidemie-de-grippe-touche-desormais-toutes-les-regions-1515595237

Given there are probably differing metrics used between the countries I don't think it's possible to de a direct comparison but I think (and as mentioned in the text) it's being treated as serious event in many countries...

Now how it is reported/treated/kicked around as a political football I guess is down to national (?media) differences.

Jet II
11th Jan 2018, 13:57
Now how it is reported/treated/kicked around as a political football I guess is down to national (?media) differences.

Totally agree - whatever Health system you have you are not going to get away from flu in the Winter.

Or from politicians trying to score points..;)

MungoP
11th Jan 2018, 14:25
Simplythebeast
We really need to looking at charging people a fee for ambulance and treatment in cases originating from alcohol consumption

Agree. Also believe that the NHS would be much better served if charges could be implemented for surgery visits. People wasting time of hard pressed GPs through having the sniffles could be penalized. Also people who have life-style induced ailments. Pay Up or change life-styles.

bnt
11th Jan 2018, 15:04
Last time I was at a NHS surgery, nearly 20 years ago before I moved to Ireland, I didn't even get to see a doctor and couldn't get an appointment. It wasn't for the sniffles - from the symptoms, I'm now positive I had proper pneumonia - but nurse did a quick exam and basically told me to go home and rest up with antibiotics. I did survive (I think) but it could have gone the other way. I was living by myself at the time, I could have simply failed to wake up in the morning - it does happen. It's a bit hair-raising in retrospect. :uhoh:

pax britanica
11th Jan 2018, 15:20
From what my medical friends tell me while Flu is very unpleasant if you are below 70 and in moderately good shape - and dont have a history of respiratory disease it isnt going to kill you.

If you are very young-over 75 smoked 40 Senior service a day in your youth or have had debilitating illnesses you are really at risk . these are the people who end up in A&E for good reason since flu might well kill you.

I was also told that this years vaccination while being something of a best guess as always is not especially effective for people over 75 -ie thise who are most at risk. This has been know in Europe for 20 odd years and the vaccine isnt used but the NHS went for the cheapie version and as is always the case cutting corners doesnt work. yet again the UK government (of either hue) puts welfare of its citizens way down the list while it gets on with screwing up Brexit and trying to be an environmental 'beacon' on the global plastic waste crisis. Amply demonstrated by Theresa May choosing my local hospital to visit and 'apologise' from-oddly enough my hospital; is a lucky one and doesnt have cancelled ops and hordes of pensioners on trolleys and so atmosphere not as toxic as it might have been for her elsewhere

Jet II
11th Jan 2018, 15:29
Oh come on, winter crisis in the NHS have nothing to do with Brexit..:=

Chronus
11th Jan 2018, 19:40
The NHS crisis was headline on the 6 pm news this evening. Some hospitals were suggesting flu vaccination be compulsory for their medical staff. From my perch, I have never seen so many people coughing and sneezing in unison, ever. I had some symptoms of it before and during the Christmas break, and cannot say am fully mended.
According to researchers, colds and flu are seasonal, that is doled out in Winter months only, all over the globe. Well, if we are to go by that and if the current doze we have came from Oz where they had a fairly big helping of it in October, then the current strain would seem to defy the researchers findings. Which could also mean that the future is open season all year round, no matter how many apples and oranges I eat a day.
I bet that well known Wellies shop is doing a roaring trade in Bleach them powders and Cor venus, or whatever it is called chesty cough syrup, the one with the roaring red bull picture on the bottle.

Rwy in Sight
11th Jan 2018, 20:49

My current company requires me to present a sick note from a hospital if I have the flu. So a visit there would be a must if I catch the flu. Similarly while I was in the Air Force between two postings I caught a cold and I went the the Air Force hospital to make sure the service would be aware if I did not make it to the second posting. They send me back home as soon as possible - to spend the night and go to the assigned training the next day.

meadowrun
11th Jan 2018, 21:21
Doctor not good enough for them? They should add a few years to getting their degrees then. Clog up another hospital for the flu?
Dragging yourself to the hospital will not help your flu, will be a misery to do and might spread it.
We all know what is best for all but the most iffy cases and it doesn't involve a trip beyond the bathroom.

tdracer
11th Jan 2018, 21:47
From what my medical friends tell me while Flu is very unpleasant if you are below 70 and in moderately good shape - and dont have a history of respiratory disease it isnt going to kill you.
That's overly simplistic - the flu can and does kill reasonably healthy young and middle aged people. I had a cousin who died in her 20's due to complications from the flu, and my wife needed emergency intervention to save her life when she had a bad case of the flu when she was 27 (about 2 years after we were married).
When the USA first entered The Great War 100 years ago, a flu epidemic hit the US armed forces. More US soldier died of the flu than were killed in combat.

G-CPTN
11th Jan 2018, 22:14
Teenager dies after catching flu virus (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-42651203).

meadowrun
11th Jan 2018, 22:52
A flu epidemic hit the world during WW1 not just the troops.

"The 1918 flu pandemic (January 1918 – December 1920) was an unusually deadly influenza pandemic, the first of the two pandemics involving H1N1 influenza virus. It infected 500 million people around the world, including remote Pacific islands and the Arctic, and resulted in the deaths of 50 to 100 million (three to five percent of the world's population),making it one of the deadliest natural disasters in human history.Disease had already greatly limited life expectancy in the early 20th century. A considerable spike occurred in the first year of the pandemic. Life expectancy in the United States dropped by about 12 years.

ricardian
11th Jan 2018, 23:07
A flu epidemic hit the world during WW1 not just the troops.

"The 1918 flu pandemic (January 1918 – December 1920) was an unusually deadly influenza pandemic, the first of the two pandemics involving H1N1 influenza virus.

Some (many?) WW1 war memorials show the dates of WW1 as 1914-19 because of the 'flu pandemic

TURIN
11th Jan 2018, 23:23
Also people who have life-style induced ailments. Pay Up or change life-styles.

Define 'lifestyle induced'.

Loose rivets
12th Jan 2018, 02:44
I always pause on Kate's photo. Something about that lovely face, still bright, peering out of the picture.

She didn't have to go.

https://heatonhistorygroup.org/2016/10/02/kate-elizabeth-ogg-remembered/

Pneumonia - the secondary infection stage perhaps - got most of them, including my granddad who died in a military hospital in 1920. He nearly got away with it. However, I suspect he didn't come back from Flanders quite in tact and it may have been gas that weakened him.

Kate was a year earlier - just about the time the lucky ones were coming home in droves, though many would not think themselves lucky when the virus they'd carried, hit.

Bob Lenahan
12th Jan 2018, 15:02
Apparently somebody here in MX is making a lot of money. Not only can you get a flu shot- always recommended by the doc, but they will also usually tell you your "defenses" are down and you need a a ... I don't know what it's called, maybe a "defensive shot"? Never had any of them. Many people I meet tell me they have influenza. I tell them, "No, you have a cold." They get mad.
Bob.

Mr Optimistic
12th Jan 2018, 16:07
Next year I am going to go for the more expensive vaccine! The kiddies one apparently covers the Type B flu and also there are suspicions that growing the virus in eggs causes the virus to adapt to the egg and drift away from the natural one. This is how they cultivate the adult vaccine.

The Type B Japanese flu currently circulating is more prolific than the H3N2 one according to the UK weekly flu report. However, that could be because the vaccine covered the Type A but not that type B and we had H3N2 around last year.

If you have flu then going to A&E won't be possible without help as you won't get to the car, let alone drive it.

tdracer
13th Jan 2018, 00:18
Ten Myths About the 1918 Flu Pandemic

The ‘greatest pandemic in history’ was 100 years ago – but many of us still get the basic facts wrong

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/ten-myths-about-1918-flu-pandemic-180967810/?utm_source=smithsoniandaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20180112-daily-responsive&spMailingID=32598348&spUserID=NzQwNDUzMjM0MTgS1&spJobID=1201617365&spReportId=MTIwMTYxNzM2NQS2

wiggy
13th Jan 2018, 15:05
Sadly a big talking point on today’s regional news here in southern France is the death on Thursday night /Friday AM of a 9 year old due to flu..link below to French language article...to précis the youngster started showing symptoms at the start of the week, was kept at home, mother (health worker of some sort) realised the child was going down hill late Thursday, there were problems getting to a hospital and ultimately the child died. There is certainly talk, including in the article, that this current strain is not just “taking” the old and/or infirm.....

https://www.ladepeche.fr/article/2018/01/13/2720880-mort-a-neuf-ans-de-la-grippe.html

Chronus
13th Jan 2018, 17:39
Here is the latest headlines from ECDC

nfluenza activity was increasing in countries in northern, southern and western Europe.
Both influenza type A and B viruses were co-circulating and different patterns of circulation were observed across countries in the Region.
Of the individuals sampled, on presenting with ILI or ARI to sentinel primary healthcare sites, 42% tested positive for influenza viruses, similar to the 44% in the previous week.
EuroMOMO data showed excess mortality in the elderly (>65 years of age) for the United-Kingdom (Scotland), Spain and Portugal.

https://ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications-data/weekly-influenza-update-week-1-january-2018

IcePaq
14th Jan 2018, 04:22
We have a common cold epidemic in south florida but no flu.

ORAC
14th Jan 2018, 13:35
There is certainly talk, including in the article, that this current strain is not just “taking” the old and/or infirm.....

Teenager dies after catching flu virus (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-42651203)

An 18-year-old woman has died in hospital after catching the flu virus.

Bethany Walker, from Applecross in Wester Ross, had been suffering from the virus at home before it developed into pneumonia. She was airlifted to Raigmore Hospital in Inverness where she died last Friday......

https://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsprodpb/67DA/production/_99568562_bethanynewjpg.jpg