PDA

View Full Version : Initial Class I Medical Certificate question.

Lawgeenoo
18th Dec 2017, 10:22
I'm healthy, shouldn't have any problems, except...

In my country you are required to pass a so called ''vestibulometry'' test. They put you into some sort of swivel chair and spin you like there's no tomorrow, while doing some simple tasks blindfolded. Then, it stops, and the doctor has you do some other similar tasks, with your eyes open.

I don't know exactly what the test tries to prove, probably how you handle disorientation. I tend to get super sick in these. Tried something similar in an amusement park and I didn't end up well.

Do other countries have this test? What are the requirements to pass this test? Not get sick? Not break a sweat? Being able to walk in a straight line?

Thanks.

galaxy flyer
19th Dec 2017, 00:46
Never heard of in the US—military or FAA. Bizarre.

Radgirl
19th Dec 2017, 09:37
I agree it is bizarre. The only time we use vestibulometry is to diagnose brain stem death on intensive care - dont worry Lawgeenoo if you can post on this site you are NOT brain dead!

I suppose it might be useful if you want to find out if dizziness is due to the middle ear as opposed to other causes, but as far as I know that is simply done by using rapid head movements.

Probably as much use as the old stroboscopic EEG the CAA forced us to do - very unpleasant but worthless. Not even sure how you define a pass or a fail, so I wouldnt worry Lawgeenoo, just grit your teeth and put it down as something you have to do. Good luck.

Lawgeenoo
17th Apr 2018, 11:05
1. Can I take the medical examination in another country than the one I'll be studying in and not have any ''bureaucratic'' issues, as long as it's EASA?

2. Are there any physical stress tests to be undertaken? Like rotary chair or pressure chamber?

3. I have a very slight septum deviation, but no issues. Would this be a killer?

4. My vision is pretty good, but not quite perfect. I don't wear glasses, because I don't feel like i need them(yet). Does your vision have to be perfect?

5. Anything I should do to prepare before evaluation?

Thanks!

BoeingBoy
18th Apr 2018, 07:56
It's possible that your septum deviation might cause issues when flying if you can't unblock your ears in descent. If you've already flown as a passenger without difficulty you should be OK but with sinus infections you could be at risk.

If you're not wearing glasses you'll probably have no problem, and even if you do need them the tolerances are very high. I'm blind as a bat without any correction.

There should be no pressure chambers or rotary chairs involved in most EASA countries so like many here we're surprised to read that yours still uses them.

There is nothing special to do in preparation for your medical. Just turn up on time without a hangover.

Good Luck.

moswey4a
18th Apr 2018, 10:22
1. Can I take the medical examination in another country than the one I'll be studying in and not have any ''bureaucratic'' issues, as long as it's EASA?

An EASA medical is valid in any EASA country.

Lawgeenoo
20th Apr 2018, 06:32
It's possible that your septum deviation might cause issues when flying if you can't unblock your ears in descent. If you've already flown as a passenger without difficulty you should be OK but with sinus infections you could be at risk.

If you're not wearing glasses you'll probably have no problem, and even if you do need them the tolerances are very high. I'm blind as a bat without any correction.

There should be no pressure chambers or rotary chairs involved in most EASA countries so like many here we're surprised to read that yours still uses them.

There is nothing special to do in preparation for your medical. Just turn up on time without a hangover.

Good Luck.

Never had any issues in flight, as a passenger, and have flown plenty of times. Also did some diving and no issues there either.

Yep, my country still does them.

Thank you.

Lufty454
24th Apr 2018, 08:16
Having just had my Class One in the UK only a month ago, I certainly didn't have this test.

If you get an EASA medical, it should be valid in any other EASA country, I think there might be a need for converting it if you plan on going back to your country after obtaining a medical elsewhere... I guess it depends on what your national regulatory authority decide - it might be worth checking or perhaps someone else could elaborate or correct me? For instance, I wanted to obtain my medical in the Netherlands (as that is currently where I am staying for a few months to save me travelling back to the UK for it) but when I went to check whether it'd be valid in the UK, the CAA website had something about converting it to a CAA medical from a Dutch one (although both still EASA) so I just went back to the UK to have it. It was probably a bureaucratic regulation that came with a fee of some description.

Hope this helps,